[How to] Boot your real Windows partition with Parallels on Hackintosh

249 posts in this topic

Actually nvm, I've managed to get that activation code from Microsoft. Thanks Justin.

Now I'm running XP under Parallels, I've discovered a bit of a nuisance. I tried running my XP copy of Photoshop, and it wouldn't load without having to revalidate the Photoshop license. If I validate it while I'm in Parallels, it'll ask me to revalidate it again while actually booting into the XP partition. Same sorta thing happens with AVG under Parallels. Says there's some error with licensing, so it won't be able to continue. But booting into the partition, suddenly no problem.

So yeah, just a bit of a heads up I guess.

Oh, and if you install VirtueDesktops and get XP in Parallels running fullscreen on a separate virtual desktop, it's gold. Give it a try just for kicks. If only there was some way to get my full XP partition (with all hardware intact) working that way.

• 2 weeks later...

help me! I changed the code for xp and since my pc is a dell it has 3 partitions by defalt. the first is (FAT) , the 2nd is the NTFS, and I dont remember the third but paralles says something like "this is not a standard boot camp partition" I am in hackentosh but just to save shut down and boot time back into windows I wanted to have this and so far it was a waste! :hysterical:

So any helpers?!

Thanks in advance!

The first posts guide is a little vague on what to do.

I mean I see a lot of people talking about using chain 0 instead of Darwin. Is that what you're really supposed to do here?

Anyone got a more detailed guide on this?

• 3 weeks later...

i downloaded the latest version 3188 and when i first open it the options are different

this i what i get to choose from

1. Windows Express "Instal windows xp or vista in fully automatic mode"

2.Typical "install any os inside a typical virtual machine"

3.Custom "Customize a virtual machine and install any os inside it"

i already have vista on a seperate hd.

• 2 weeks later...

Since many mini-howtos have been posted, I will save my experience to the main issues.

I have a disk0s1 partition with MACOS and a disk0s2 partition with xp.

I need to boot into xp eventually, so I need to keep a physical partition for it.

I have plenty of disk space in MAC, but I have all app installed in XP already etc etc.

I had created a boot camp VM - as already detailed here - but there was no way to boot in the native WIN partition.

After reading many posts a lot, I found that:

1. Parallels can boot any native WIN partition in any disk, no matter if the disk is dedicated to it or not.

2. The only rule that is mandatory: WIN partition must be the only one active in the disk.

That´s it.

I don´t like tricky solutions, but I ended up using the chain0 macos boot method and the WIN MBR boot way.

Changed the plist file to add a few secs to be able to select MACOS partition in darwin loader .

Once inside MACOS, Parallels boots perfectly using the windows partition.

I've read the WHOLE 8 pages of postings, and did not figure it out how to bypass the error that says

Hard Disk 1 is set to boot camp while boot camp is not installed on this computer!

Well, if someone can help I apreciate.

Some remarks: I edited the pvs. My windows IS NOT vista. I even have tried the editing with the disk geometry.

My Specs: Hackintosh 10.4.8, Parallels 3150 (did not work with the newer version either)

Any Ideas

Unl0cker,

can you confirm a few things:

1. MAC partition is in the same disk as native Windows is?

2. Is the Windows partition primary and active?

3. Can you boot - using whatever method you prefer - into windows?

Let me know.

Hi all,

I'm also experiencing trouble with all of the methods in this thread. I've also tried getting MacOS from Windows via VMWare and it wouldn't work at all with OSX 10.4.9 on my Thinkpad T60. I've since reverted to 10.4.8.

Current info :

I have XP Pro (Corporate) on Disk0S1 and its both primary and active and is NTFS.

I have OSX 10.4.8 on Disk0S2 and also a primary partition.

I boot into Windows and OSX using XP's bootloader + Chain0 method for OSX.

I have activated a 2nd profile for XP on the native install, but Parallels is unable to detect the native partition at startup.

I've installed Parallels under 10.4.8 and I have also installed XP on a virtual disk.

Following the instructions mentioned above, I tried to then load Acronis OS Selector under my virtual install of XP (0:0 = Virtual XP; 0:1 = CD-ROM; 1:1 = Boot Camp Partition). Windows can access the partition, but Acronis is completely unable to detect the OS to add to its OS Selector program. I have verified that the partition is active and primary both within the Virtual Machine and the Native OSs.

Questions :

Since Parallels is unable to detect my "Boot Camp" partition (its not boot camp, its an actual install of XP), could this be a driver issue? My Thinkpad uses SATA, does this matter?

Does the version of the OSX install matter? I'm using the "JAS-AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3-PPF1-PPF2" 10.4.8.

OSX86 works very well Natively, but I really want to be able to have access to things like Outlook etc.. As a side note, I installed Office 2003 under the "Virtual" XP, but Outlook is unable to connect to my company's Exchange server under Parallels. As I believe this is a Parallels issue, maybe this is all for naught at the moment (at least for me) as Outlook seems to have issues with Parallels.

Anyway - I hope somebody can shed some light. I think I've tried just about everything mentioned in this thread, but no joy thus far.

My Computer config :

Lenovo Thinkpad T60

Core Duo T2500 2.0ghz

2gb RAM

100GB HDD

ATI x1400 Mobile Graphics

Intel 10/100/1000 Nic

Atheros 802.11abg WIFI

CDRW/DVDRW-DL Burner

Everything works well under OSX86 10.4.8. A bit of mouse tearing with the 3D hardware acceleration going, but its livable for now.

Thanks people,

-- Phob

unl0cker,

here is how I did it:

Macosx is the first partition in my hd, size=160gb

WIN is the second parttion, size=40gb

WIN partition is the only one set as active.

I had to use the WIN boot loader and I had added MACOSX as an alternate booting option using chain0 file.

So, when my computer starts, I must select MACOS instead of WIN.

When darwin loader starts I must select MACOS to enter into it also.

Since WIN is the partition active, darwin loader will attempt to boot into WIN, instead of MACOS.

You must add a timeout into darwin loader, to be able to select MACOS in there. If you don´t do that, it will boot into WIN again and WIN loader will prompt again to select the boot...

Any other attempt I tried, didn´t worked...

Hope this helps you.

first of all: shouts fly out to "Sherry Haibara".

his tutorial pointed me into the right direction

my hackintosh specs:

- intel Core2Duo 1,83

- hd audio (manually install, tutorial is around here)

- no audio in

1. I use the chain-method to boot

2. Windows XP is active Boot Partition

3. I installed Parallels 3188 (buy it, although support sucks, prog is great!)

4. Start Parallels, choose "Custom Install" / Win XP / Memory / and BOOT CAMP

5. DONT RUN the OS !!! Instead Close Parallels

6. go down to Terminal

7. go to the appropriate folder, where your .pvs config file is located (in my case this is: "~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP BC"). The .pvs config file contains all information about your just "Custom Installed" Windows XP in Boot Camp mode.

cd "~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP BC"

8. open a 2nd Terminal Window and type

mount

you'll get all the important information about your harddisks there

9. Edit the .pvs file, you located in step 7 (in terminal you can use nano for that). In my case this means:

nano "Microsoft Windows XP BC.pvs"

10. In the .pvs file find the position where

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp

is written.

Change this to

Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;diskXsY

where "diskXsY" is the info you got from step 8.

Add another harddrive:

11. if you do have a second harddisk in you apparatus, that you were used to use in Windows XP native mode, you can add these lines to have it installed in your VM aswell:

Disk 0:1 enabled = 1
Disk 0:1 = 1
Disk 0:1 media = 1
Disk 0:1 connected = 1
Disk 0:1 image = Boot Camp;disk1s5
Disk 0:1 cylinders = 0
Disk 0:1 heads = 0
Disk 0:1 sectors = 0

disk1s5 is only valid in my case! check for yourself using the "mount" command from step 8.

ximekon

p.s. funny thing: mount command on hackintosh doesn't show me the drives no more, although it does on my MBP running 10.4.9. Does Parallels Auto-Umount forever the drives used in the VM? Funny, but more a beauty prob as I would estimate right now...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I managed to boot my XP in the parallels desktop and gotten the parallel tools installed in the xp, after which i was prompt to restart my xp. However, after I restarted my xp it just stucked at the xp starting screen..

is anyone having similar problem and manage to solve it?

i am on osx 10.4.6 and parallels desktop 3.0 built 4124.

Many thanks!! you guys are really great!! :D

I got the latest Parallels 3.0, and managed to do this with Windows Vista which is installed as an active partition in my computer following ximecon's instructions..and everything seems to be fine, this is so awesome..i really need a good reason to boot back into vista now :whistle:

The only problem i seem to have is that there doesn't seem to be an adequate hardware accelerated graphics to power games in vista as advertised. :S Maybe this can be fixed?

i think i found out why i couldnt get my vista to work. cause its 64 bit.. so i guess ill play around and try xp till they support 64 bit vista.. maybe after os x 10.5 comes out. doesnt really matter since this seems to use a decent amount of cpu power. so i will just play around till i build my dual clovertown system, then ill run it all the time.

Hi folks! Kinda a newbie round these parts so bear with me! After lots of reading I have Parallels working with my Native Windows Partition as Bootcamp drive. I used the Chain0 method to boot and I made a separate hardware profile in windows for Parallels. Only one small problem. My native windows works with a domain so i need CTL+ALT+DEL to login and for some reason my parallels won't let me do that in the parallels window. So basically I have gotten to the point where I can see my windows bootcamp boot up in parallels but I can get no further because I cannot login to it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Update: Got it working! The ALT key seems to be remapped to the WINDOWS key so I have to hit CTL+WINDOWS+DEL and everything works just ducky! Now if I could only get my wireless Intel2915 working with WEP in OsX it would be perfect! Unless I could somehow get Parallels to load the native windows driver and share it to the OsX side? HMMMM......

• 2 weeks later...

I reformatted my machine to install XP and then made a partition on which I installed OS X (10.4.9 uphuck v1.3)..but now Parallels won't boot into the XP partition anymore :thumbsup_anim: It gives me the infamous "Unable to boot from diskxsy" error. :(

Previously I had Vista + JaS 10.4.8 OS X upgraded to 10.4.9 and I had Parallels working completely fine and even booted to my vista partition without problems..can somebody please help here? I really have no idea why it doesn't work this time and would really love it have it working again so I don't have to reboot into Windows as often.

Does anybosu have any ideas? I'd appreciate the help!

Okay I'm kind of running out of clues here :)

Can you guys who got this working please post What's your configuration? (How the Windows and the OS X partitions are laid out on your drives?) and how you installed OSx86? (whether you installed XP first? OR OS X first?)

Thanks a lot!

Anyone though of using Zboot?

Got a laptop setup like so:

Primary partition - XP

Secondary Partition - OSX

Third partition - FAT32 Data (so it can be shared between OSes)

Just installed Zboot and it's all easy..

Cyn. :)

Ok this is really weird...

I have 3 HDDs...

1 has OSX installed (ATA)

1 has Win XP Pro (S-ATA / NTFS)

1 is Storage (ATA / FAT32)

Whenever I want to boot to Windows/OSX I just go to Bios and pick the relevant drive as the boot drive.

So I set this to OSX to get in. Install the latest version of Parallels and as soon as its run I already have a Boot Camp Virtual thingy set up!?!?!

It's auto detected my SATA drive and configured it to run in Parallels.

So I run it...boots up fine...starts installing the 'Parallels Tools' and then it auto restarts Windows.

Now here is the problem...after the booting logo it gives me the BSOD :P

Then these Parallels msg boxes KEEP popping up asking me to change the acceleration to 'Normal'. At this point I have to Force Quit Parallels.

I changed the acceleration to 'Normal' but now when I run, after the logo, the screen just turns black and does nothing ;)

Is there a specific reason or solution for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here tried the GUID partition method for those who'se parallels wouldn't boot into the XP partition?

Does it work?

How do you do it? Can someone please elaborate the steps for this "GUID" method?

I once had an installation of Vista on disk0s1 and OS X on disk0s2 and parallels could boot into the Vista partition perfectly fine.

But now I formatted my hard drive, installed XP on disk0s1 and OS X on disk0s2, but now parallels can't boot into XP partition anymore :pirate2: It gives me an error saying "Cannot load image Boot Camp;disk0s1" or somthing like that. And when I change the hard drive properties to "IDE 1:0" It boots, but I get a message saying "No Bootable drives found" after parallels manages to boot. :D

Can someone please help me here? I really want this to work, please!! My hard drive is connected on SATA ports with AHCI and Native mode enabled. Will the GUID method work for me?