[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

it worked for me on a tp-link TL550G

works good and easy

Thanks a lot!

I have a TL-WN510G card. On the official TP-link web page I found these 2 cards share the same driver.

http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.as...p;m=TL%2DWN510G

I assume they are using the same chip.

I have a Thinkpad T40, with Jas 10.4.8 ISO and I have applied this method and my laptop seems to recognize the card as an Airport Extreme. The thing is, it just could not find any available network and if I try to search ( 2 lights flashes alternatively) the network, the system just hangs and I have to reset my computer.

I have also tried to get my Build-in Ethernet up, but still no luck.

I am stuck in a world without network now. So frustrated and I decide to stop logging into OSX for a while.

Anybody has successful story on this card?

It recognizes my airport, but can't turn it on , i can press the turn on button no matter how many times ... it press it, but won't start the wifi ...

Please can you help me with this one here ...

please :)

hello TeDuU,

I had the exact same problem. what you need to do is going to System Preferences > Airport > "Assist me" the first time. i read that in a post of someone i dont remember who.

thanks also to tncpeterd and consolation and all the others that helped me.

have a good day

simon

ME SO HAPPY !!! :hysterical:

Just installed a fresh TP-LINK WN-650G PCI adapter on my Hackintosh and I've got AirPort running !!! :thumbsup_anim::dance_24::whistle:

I simply followed the instructions on the first post of this thread and it worked like a charm!

My system:

CPU: P4 2.0GHz 512K Socket 478

RAM: 1GBMB: GA-8IE

GPU: GeForce 5200FX 128MB

WiFi: TP-LINK WN-650G

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What else do you want me to tell you :(
You can start by telling us what hardware and software you're running :)

I have an Atheros AR5005G (on my laptop it say : "Contains Tansmiter Atheros AR5BMB5" - but my windows see's it like a atheros AR5005G)

Please somebody that made this work , send me your atheros kext ...

Thank you in advance

I have an Atheros AR5005G (on my laptop it say : "Contains Tansmiter Atheros AR5BMB5" - but my windows see's it like a atheros AR5005G)

Please somebody that made this work , send me your atheros kext ...

Thank you in advance

For 5005g go here: http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/showthread.php?t=715

Guys,

I think I found the simplest solution - at least it worked for me. Using Leo´s original kexts and a piece from Tiger.

First, I edited the Info.plist including 168c,1014 and it did detect my card. But it won´t enable it.

Then I copied the "AirPortEnabler.kext" directory, that is missing on the new driver, from Tiger - and it is working flawlessly... on my WPA network, and after some boots to make sure.

Obs: I did delete the Code*, but I am not sure if that´s needed.

System is a T60.

Hope this helps!

I struggled with this for about a day, but I have an Atheros 5004b/g. I used the 10.4.6 kext (search and you will find on this site).

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

Installed the new (really an older one) kext to Extensions folder

cp -R /(where downloaded kext is)/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

Repair Permissions of the Atheros plugin

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext

Repair Permissions of the IO80211Family.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/

Repair General permissions

diskutil repairPermissions /

Then went to:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

to verify that the en0 and en1 interfaces are correct (mine were). It showed my built in ethernet en0 and my wireless miniPCI as en1 as it should.

Then did a reboot 'shutdown -r now'

booted into single user mode -s

removed the mkext file

rm /Volumes/(boot volume)/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Then reboot verbose (-v option)

you should now see the mac address of your interface identified HOWEVER

It won't power on. :wacko:

You will see an error message like:

Error airportd[77] ACInterfaceGetPowerPreference

and on boot you will get the empty pie icon on the top bar.

Finally I stumbled on a way to get it powered on, and I'm not totally clear on why. BUT I've done this 4 times now, and that's enough for me.

You think the terminal will come to the rescue. but NO. For some reason it didn't enable the device when I issued commands in

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport

believe it or not it's the GUI wireless setup assistant. This is what I did to turn on my wireless each time, and for whatever reason if you don't have the ethernet cable connected it didn't work for me.

1. Connect to network via Ethernet cable.

2. Go to Network in System Preferences (make sure there is a green light in Ethernet).

3. Select AirPort and under the gear icon dropdown choose Make Service Inactive.

4. Hit the plus and add a new AirPort service (Airport 2 or whatever).

5. Hit the 'Assit me...' button

6. Then 'Assistant' then 'Continue' then check I use Airport, then 'Continue' then it asks to turn on the Airport.

7. After a few moments, the new service turned on the card and found all the networks in my area.

8. Delete the first airport connection.

So that's what worked for me. Pheww! Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

thank you, i will try this ...

hopefully will work

[EDIT]

I did a verification [Verify Disk Permisions] from Disk Utility

And i have this:

[b]Verify Permissions for "Leopard"
[/b]Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired

[b]Permissions verification complete[/b]

Why ?

What shall i do ?

Is there a problem with these ?

i don't remember modifiing them :-??

{censored} ... i {censored}it up ... i don't know how i did it, but now won't even go past the white screen with the apple :-(

man , you really gave me hope :-|

now it's on the drain

I don't know if the above is directed to me but my advice to you was to look at this thread: http://uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/showthread.php?t=715 , not follow what I did for my 5004. What I did for my card was in response to bitingthefruit

Also warning messages like:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.

are benign and a known issue to Apple and not the cause of your machine not working. If you read the Apple Leopard docs you will see that. I don't know what you did to hang your system but it probably was something other than installing a kext and fixing permissions. Hope you get it sorted. ;)

Just to let everyone know -- I banged my head against the wall for several hours, including a complete re-install, before I was able to get my IBM Atheros card to work.

The primary issue is that the card is 168c:1014, not 168c:0013. I had added pci168c,1014 to my plist file, then thought I had a 0013 card and removed it. My card worked for a while, as I had put in the 1014, but then when I ran Software Update, my kexts were rebuilt, and the 1014 entry was removed from cache. In other words, I thought it was Software Update that had killed my card, when, in fact, I am just an idiot.

So the correct steps for the IBM 802.11a/b/g card are:

Add pci168c,1014 to NetworkPreferences.plist

touch /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot with -f

Open System Profiler, click on "Airport Card", close System Profiler

Reboot with -f

Open Network Preferences, hopefully should be able to "Turn On" Airport at this point.

{censored} ... i {censored}it up ... i don't know how i did it, but now won't even go past the white screen with the apple :-(

man , you really gave me hope :-|

now it's on the drain

Start again, put back original kexts etc.

To see where your system hangs, boot in verbose mode (-v), you should be able to boot into single user mode (-s) to make changes if you can't get to desktop.

While your chipset is different from the one this thread is aimed at, the same method should work. From your description of the initial problem it sounded like the network interface number assignment was wrong. Did you follow the instructions at the end of the first post?

Can any body who has successful experience give a step by step instructions to novices like me? I made it by following the steps here in 10.4.8, but failed to make anything happen in 10.5.1.Appreciated if any one of you could help.Can any body who has successful experience give a step by step instructions to novices like me? I made it by following the steps here in 10.4.8, but failed to make anything happen in 10.5.1.Appreciated if any one of you could help.

Can any body who has successful experience give a step by step instructions to novices like me? I made it by following the steps here in 10.4.8, but failed to make anything happen in 10.5.1.Appreciated if any one of you could help.Can any body who has successful experience give a step by step instructions to novices like me? I made it by following the steps here in 10.4.8, but failed to make anything happen in 10.5.1.Appreciated if any one of you could help.

It's pretty hard to break it down further than in the 1st post... What confuses you?

Hi,

I have followed this tutorial for Leopard but it doesn't detect anything. I'm going to try the "new" method, but just one question... what should I do if my leopard doesn't boot properly? I mean, is there any "safe mode" option when booting osx?

Thanks.

Thanks consolation for your reply. I don't know what is wrong with the steps. It's just nothing happen after following the steps in the tutorial. I am just afraid I missed some crucial some minor steps, as I don't have any clue on what the steps literally are. Thus, I really don't know what went wrong. Other than that, everything seems to be very promising on my machine.

Hi everybody.....

i decided to go for a wn650g after reading this post from the beggining. Im spanish so i have some difficulties to explain everything in the proper way.. but more or less this is my history.

I installed Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 some time ago, im very nOOB on this. but everything works fine on my P5W DH Deluxe. i tried to get working a g122 c1 before i ordered the atheros 1,but i get the replug issue that i could not fix, i dont know if having another wireless installed could change my order in network devices. Yesterday i recieve the wn650g and started to play arround with a lot of issues.

i followed all steps described in the post.

1.- iI managed to install wn650g card but airport icon was empty so after modifing values, cant remember which 1 i changed and after reading a lot this post i think i have my airport detected. my airport icon is not empty has this lines and when i select it i can see other networks amd mine aswell which is WPA protected. I only can get connected if i go in assist me mode.

i read that running a shell script can connect to the first network in keychain... how can i do this? Can anyone give a detailed step of how to do this?? i will apreciate this very much. :wacko:

when i go to my network devices airport icon never looks conected and i saw in some creens posted in this thread that is shown as connected this is how looks mine after beeing connected screen1uo3.th.png

screen1uo3.th.png

So im a little confuse if it installed properly. have I same en1 for different device???

My device ID is 0x168c, 0x2051.. which string should i add with this device id?? Can any1 xplain this too??

I have attached another capture if it helps... screen2hn6.th.pngscreen2hn6.th.png

i will aprecciate so much anyhelp.. if someone want to add me to msn i leave mine and would be very helpful.. palote99 msn.com

Thanks in advance!!!!

Initially couldn't get it to work on Thinkpad X60 until I found this thread. Got it to work under 10.4.9 (upgraded from 10.4.8) and moved the kext and plist over to my Leopard installation.

Would initially not "power on" the Airport, but after I selected "Assist me" and walked through the repair cycle, it started to work. works also after reboot.

I recommend using "kext helper b7" to install the kext (after making a backup copy of the originals). Writing this post now using Leopard and my WEP WiFi connection :blink:

Thanks to everyone who posted here!

IO80211Family.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

NetworkInterfaces.plist.zip

So im a little confuse if it installed properly. have I same en1 for different device???

Thanks in advance!!!!

I had a similar situation occur with multiple airports. It seems to happen when you don't delete the non-functioning interface before adding the modified kext.

This is how I fixed it, ymmv - so back up stuff in case it turns to caca...

1) go to System Prefs, and delete all network interfaces, except en0 (make sure that it's assigned to your ethernet and is working ok)

2) delete your NetworkInterfaces.plist

3) shut down

4) restart with -f

Hopefully you should have only one working airport interface - you'll still need assistant to connect...

I had a similar situation occur with multiple airports. It seems to happen when you don't delete the non-functioning interface before adding the modified kext.

This is how I fixed it, ymmv - so back up stuff in case it turns to caca...

1) go to System Prefs, and delete all network interfaces, except en0 (make sure that it's assigned to your ethernet and is working ok)

2) delete your NetworkInterfaces.plist

3) shut down

4) restart with -f

Hopefully you should have only one working airport interface - you'll still need assistant to connect...

Thanks!!!!! i manage to fix it!!!! thanks!!

can u point my in how to run the script of page number 5 to reconnect automatically???

CHEERS!!!