[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

It work fine with me (10.5) ,i can connect to web network ,but internet work for while then it stop while there is connection with the acesspoint (when i made ping to the accesspoint IP i get reply ,but to interent i get no reply ) and then i must to use network diagnose to reconnect .how to slove this problem ?

For starting my WPA2-WLAN after reboot i need chipxsd's script, it work's well with my TP-Link TL-WN651G. I put this script to StartupItems and it start automatically and connect to my WLAN.

But the script don't close after the end of the process. It is possible, that the windows close automatically too?

Since this thread helped me a lot, I thought I would put my experience getting my Netgear WPN311 PCI wireless card working in Leopard 10.5.1...

All my edits were done to copys of the files on my desktop and then copied to their correct folders (which would prompt me for the admin password)...

I tried just editing the Leopard 10.5.1 IO80211Family.kext (version 2.0) and removing all device ids in the <array/> node out of the AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist except <string>pci168c,13</string>

That gave me wireless after the first reboot, but after subsequent reboots everytime I would connect the whole os would freeze and I'd have to shutdown hard (hold pwr btn). Also, the "Turn Airport On" button seemed like it didn't do anything, but if I changed something on the page (like the checkbox) and then clicked Apply, the Airport would then turn on... strange.

Then I decided to try the IO80211Family.kext (version 1.4) from the 10.4.8 update pkg... This time I just added my device id to the <array/> node in AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist. After a reboot, osx complained that it couldn't use that kext. Then I noticed that there was a Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext in the 10.4.8 update pkg that wasn't in 10.5.1, so I copied it to my Extensions folder and rebooted. It worked after that...

If the Airport doesn't show up make sure you open Network Preferences and either click the plus to add the Airport or minus to remove the one that is there and re-add it. should work after that.

There is one strange thing I have left however, My USB flash thumb drive won't show up on the desktop! If I go to system info, its listed there dynamically as I remove and plug in, but it won't mount the the desktop. Strange thing is that it works in windows and has worked in Leopard fine many times... even stranger is that after I copied the 10.4.8 kext into my extensions folder to try to get wireless working that way, my thumb drive magically appeared on my desktop (it was already plugged in). But now that my wireless is working, my usb thumb drive isn't anymore (but it knows its there...kinda). ANY IDEAS ON THIS?! If I get this working then I'll have 100% working system.

Thanks,

Rocco

My Hack.in.tosh

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0gHz

4gb DDR2 800mhz RAM

Abit IP35 Pro mobo (using onboard sound with AppleHDA 1.20 patch)

Netgear WPN311 wireless (Atheros 5212 chipset)

Nvidia eVga 8800GTX PCIe 768mb

Hi to all ...

I recently got my leopard installed on an old sse2 laptop.

I'm running Kaly 10.5.2 with sleep kernel.

I've mostly of the pc working.. the only thing is my atheros card !

It's a Proxim orinoco 8470 ... AR5212

I've installed the PCCardBus.kext and PCIFamily.kext from the thread Cardbus on this forum to let recognize the Texas Instrument xx21 Card Bus .. but I still don't get my card working.

Is recognized as Unknow device also after trying several method. I try all possibilities... with the patches present in the kalyway dvd, modifying the AirPortAtheros5424.kext with the device id 13 ... but this not working

During boot i got this message

ath_attach: devid 0x13
unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully

In System profiler I got this under Pc cards

Function: Ethernet controller

Vendor: Unknown

Type: Cardbus

Vendor: 5772

Device: 19

that actually are wrong ( card is 168c:0013 )

Do you have any idea?

I attach my dmesg and the output of lspci -vv

Thanks for help... i'm so happy to get it working on an Intel Centrino 760 Socket!

Cheers

dmesg.txt

lspci.txt

Hi ,Netgear wg311t , here.

I got a weird prob.

My sleep is working when wifi is switch off only.If I send my system to sleep with airport on , the wake up is not more possible.Any idea ? Just removed every id different from mine as well on Info.plist. :angel:

I managed to get atheros 5005g card working using the Atheros5004g.pkg file that somebody uploaded. I installed the package and rebooted. It worked! I was able to browse the internet. But when I reboot again either the wireless card doesn't work or it is not detected. I have tried deleting extensions.mkext and repairing permissions, but I have to reinstall the original IO80211Family.kext, then repair permissions, then reboot, then install the package, then reboot again just to get it working again. Is there any way to fix this? By the way I am using leopard kalyway 10.5.1.

either look them up in the system profiler under software/extensions. Or, kextstat in terminal.

System profiler doesn't say that IO80211Family.kext or AirPortAtheros5424.kext loads at startup. So how do I get them to start every boot? I already tried repairing permissions and deleting extensions.mkext and it still doesn't work. The kexts don't load at startup for some reason.

I'm running OSX 10.5 and I'm attempting at getting my D-Link G550 card to work to no avail. I tried using the new Leopard method, but whenever I edit the first plist and reboot I get an error saying that plist is corrupt. These instructions are very vague. Can anyone help me!?

I don't know if I'm supposed to edit all of the plists then reboot, or?? I'm using a plist editor.

It's also unclear if I NEED to use the terminal?

You will probably have more luck with using the 10.4.8 kext. Few ppl have had much success with the 10.5 ones.

If you are using plist editor you have to work on the copy of the plist, as you will lack the necessary privileges to edit the original - then switch them and fix permissions. If you are having plist corrupt message it's most likely due to incorrect formatting or incorrect permission set or not deleting the old kext cache.

It's much easier to edit using nano in terminal, familiarity with the terminal shell will make your life in the *nix and hacky world MUCH easier. So, just "sudo nano [path to your plist][plist name]" in this case

"sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

ctrl-o to write out, ctrl-x to exit

There are a lot of terminal (bash is the default shell in OSX) tutorials on the web.

You just need to edit one plist, repair permissions, delete Extensions.mkext and reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, surprise, surprise, another noob needs help...

Ok here's what I did - TOH Install - only post install change was using Natit for dual screen. My card is a dlink520+

1. Changed the IO80211Family kext/Atheros plugin for the card (changed <string>pci168c,1c</string> to <string>pci168c,13</string>) - card showed up in Profiler.

I changed this in both the atheros and atheros5424 info.plist files, removed the other entries and the card is still not showing in the system profiler.

a bit of info to rule out the obvious... (although i assume it is probably something stupid I'm doing)

Im using the io80211family kext from 10.4.8

I've checked the vendor and Device IDs of my card and it checks out.

If it helps my chipset is AR5213, and card is d-link DWL-520 rev.b

When I boot into windows the card works flawlessly.

Im using leopard 10.5.2

• 2 weeks later...
You will probably have more luck with using the 10.4.8 kext. Few ppl have had much success with the 10.5 ones.

@consolation

were you able to run timemachine?

I am using TP-Link TL-WN651G SuperG 108mb

I have used the 10.4.8 IO80211Family.kext and the rest are from 10.5.2 vanilla. The network is very stable but I can't manage to run time machine as it is probably connected with the MAC address on the pci wifi. I have tried to use EFI string for this but no luck.

<key>02010c00d041030a0100000001010600001e0101060000007fff0400</key>
<dict>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
</dict>

I have tried the timemachine fix (IONetworking with patch) from various places but no luck as well.

Time machine is working now

10.4.8 IO802 kext

10.5 IONetworking kext

sudo su
rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
/* make your interface en0 */
					<key>Interface</key>
					<dict>
							<key>DeviceName</key>
							<string>en0</string>
							<key>Hardware</key>
							<string>AirPort</string>
							<key>Type</key>
							<string>Ethernet</string>
							<key>UserDefinedName</key>
							<string>AirPort</string>
					</dict>

Finnaly, it works!!

Thank you Thew and consolation for your help.

If anyone is interested, I can "lend" my notes from my notebook. My english is a bit crappy, but I think it's still usefull. You can find it here: http://www.google.com/notebook/public/0306...Q8d-Ks50i?hl=en

You have the same card as me but I can't get mine going and been trying for days. Could you plz post the text of your NetworkInterfaces.plist I have pasted mine below and as far as I can ses it's correct. The Airport card is on en1 Changing en0 for en1 earlier just resulted in my ethernet card showing up as the Airport card. I would love to find out what I have got wrong.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABjzdf+p

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P7@1C,3/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/AttansicL1Ethernet/IOEthernetInterface</string>

<key>SCNetworkInterfaceType</key>

<string>Ethernet</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<integer>6</integer>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

AB0PteNx

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P1@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@1/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>

<string>IEEE80211</string>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Active</key>

<true/>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>fw0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<integer>144</integer>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABHYAADoRjA=

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P1@1E/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci1106,3044@3/AppleFWOHCI/IOFireWireController/IOFireWireLocalNode/IOFireWireIP/IOFWInterface</string>

<string>FireWire</string>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

• 2 weeks later...