[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

MY method above is 100% fail You will fail like i have if u try it!Crashed after 3 reboot and logins. and yes it did auto login by default! -u on startup suggested it was crashing when os was trying to reach apple.com(??? why) - investigating.

First post...

Nashinator, I also live in Christchurch, and had a very kindly 'on loan' used TP-link TL-WN651G card from Dragon PC. I put it in, did as you suggested, and it worked flawlessly. After a bit of testing, which included two reboots to see if it was working upon next boot (which it was, auto connected perfectly) I thought hooray this is awesome. So thats when I pulled the used card out, and replaced it with a new one (which I now needless to say owe money for!)

So now, neither card works. the desktop freezes on reboot, or if i disable airport (via safe mode) and then reboot to turn it on, it searches for 2 seconds then freezes.

MB: Gigabyte EP35DS3P

CPU: 3ghz dual core 2 duo

RAM: 4GB @ 800mhz

Network: Onboard Realtek (fully working)

Disk: WD Caviar 640GB / WD6400AAKS

Video: Nvidia 8800GT (fully working)

Sound: MOTU 828 (fully working)

Kalyway 10.5.2 -> Kalyway combo update 10.5.3 (vanilla option)

I am new (just under 2 months) to Hackintoshing. I am fairly computer literate and am also researching the problem to the best of my abilities. Aside from the obvious of nuking the networking devices and remaking, nuke the caches, I am not sure what to do but read up on other similar situations in other cards.

Anyway, just letting you know mate there is someone else with very similar circumstances out there working on it! Something working so perfectly as native airport extreme - we must be able to get it sorted.

I Fix it with a little modding of the IO82011 from 10.5.2 kext it works 100% done 12 restarts and the wifi still works and it works after sleep to =D

here

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Nickhe, what did you do to the kext? I notice the version is 1.4 (copyright 2005 - 2006) - is this just an old Tiger kext? I also notice the generic airportatheros 'plugin' is missing, and there is only the Atheros5424 (also old dated) and AppleAirPortBrcm4311.....

I am curious as to what you've done.

Cheers.

Update on my own progress....

Have tried the following vanilla (modified for 5212) IO80211family.kexts from these OS X versions:

- 10.4.5:

Airport detected immediately, works 100%, upon next reboot blank blue screen. No tell tale signs or suspect entries in /var/log/system.log

- 10.4.8:

This is the popular and successful version for most people in the thread, however for me, the system can't even detect an airport card!

- 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4:

Much the same as 10.4.5, or as my first post in the thread. Works flawlessly, then after a few reboots starts playing up. Immensely frustrating, as the freeze points during boot or in system.log are all seeminly at random entries. Ie; what I think is happening is that the card has 'already started' crashing, and then sometimes takes longer than other times to freeze the system.

The above kexts were all vanilla (extracted from apple update packages)... perhaps someone can recommend a hacked version that could work for my 5212?

The en0 / en1 thing makes no difference.

Can someone tell me what builds the network preferences? I tried delted system preferences and network preferences, yet somehow it found some old TCP/IP settings, as in my ethernet was still remembered.. strange... anyone?

Not sure how much far further I can take this unfortunately. I'll keep searching though...

Fixed this, well ...

Hardware use DWL-G520 Rev B2 chipset Atheros 5212/5213

screenshotli3.th.png

... remove or backup leo's IO80211Family.kext IONetworksFamily.kext, and remove too Extensions.mkext

reboot with -v flag

now copy 10.4.8 IO80211Family.kext IONetworksFamily.kext (by Combo Apple or JaS DVD) or still Attachment file to /System/Library/Extensions/

repair permissions with disktutil

get PlistEdit Pro here

Open with Finder /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/

copy Info.Plist to Desktop and then Edit with PlistEdit Pro

<array>
			<string>pci106b,0086</string>
			<string>pci168c,1c</string>
			<string>pci168c,13</string>
		</array>

replace Info.plist file

now open terminal and type

sudo -s
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
diskutil repairPermissions /
touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit
sudo -k
exit
reboot

Enjoy

airport1wr4.th.png

ariport2es7.th.png

airport3lf5.th.png

PS: reboot iPc mores time! :D

AirPort_Extreme_Generic.mpkg.zip

Not quite sure what went wrong with Chipsxd's script when I ran it, but after doing some editing of the script I almost got it working when I just decided to write my own.. Chipsxd is a nice solution as you can just run his generic script.. Here's an alternative just in case.

Make your own script:

1. Open a terminal and type:

vim /usr/bin/LoginWindowHook

2. In the new script, enter:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/sbin/networksetup -setairportnetwork "[network ssid]" "[password]" &

3. Then make it executable:

chmod +x /usr/bin/LoginWindowHook

4. Set the script to auto run upon boot - there are other ways of doing this - I use this method for Synergy, works just fine for this too:

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /usr/bin/LoginWindowHook

That's it.. Hope that helps some people.

Hello sirs, I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 and a wg311t.

Using this thread Ive managed to get my wifi up and running, but it seems to losse connection to the network randomly, and the only way to get it back, is to reboot.

Sometimes itll lose the network immediately after reboot, sometimes an hour or so after, sometimes never. When the connection is lost, I open network prefs, and try to scan for my wifi network, but it cant find it at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello sirs, I am running Kalyway 10.5.2 and a wg311t.

Using this thread Ive managed to get my wifi up and running, but it seems to losse connection to the network randomly, and the only way to get it back, is to reboot.

Sometimes itll lose the network immediately after reboot, sometimes an hour or so after, sometimes never. When the connection is lost, I open network prefs, and try to scan for my wifi network, but it cant find it at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

I hit the same problem ages ago, my solution was to use a different smbios.kekt Maybe it'll work for you too?

• 3 weeks later...