[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

im very sorry i know there is posts on this but i cant get it working can anybody explain or upload a copy of the right file, i have a netgear wpn311 and i cant get it to work i would be very thankful of any help

Hi all, surprise, surprise, another noob needs help...

I changed this in both the atheros and atheros5424 info.plist files, removed the other entries and the card is still not showing in the system profiler.

a bit of info to rule out the obvious... (although i assume it is probably something stupid I'm doing)

Im using the io80211family kext from 10.4.8

I've checked the vendor and Device IDs of my card and it checks out.

If it helps my chipset is AR5213, and card is d-link DWL-520 rev.b

When I boot into windows the card works flawlessly.

Im using leopard 10.5.2

I have a DWL-G520 rev. b3 with an AR5213 chipset as well.

Here are the steps I used to get it working in 10.5.2 (works in 10.5.3) as well:

1. Install the "Wireless Patch" from the iatkos 10.5.1 dvd. (i seperated this package and put it in the attachment below)

2. Replace IO80211Family.kext with the one from 10.4.8. (also in the attachment)

3. In terminal enter these commands:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Everything should work after that. :ninja:

dwl_g520_revb3_ar5213.zip

<string>pci{man ID,Dev ID}</string>

Then

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

(Or, use the script in the attached .dmg file if you can't be bothered cleaning up permissions by hand)

Reboot...

can someone explain to me how to do this part of the guide. i'm very new to this so i dont quite get it

• 2 weeks later...

a few weeks ago i had my network card recognized as airport and had the internet up and running. i then got greedy and started experimenting with nvidia 9600gt drivers... i ended up having to reinstall.

ever since then, i can get my network card recognized as airport again... but i have the Airport stuck in Off problem. tried the solution suggested in the guide with no luck. any help?

Hi,

I have a Linksys WMP300N wifi card, which is working perfectly on my hackintosh, but once I enable it 1 of my 4 cores is eating up 100% cpu. I've opened the Activity Monitor the see which process is eating up al this cpu and it seems to be the kernel_task. Still my airport connection is working perfectly, it only eats up 100% cpu. If I disable it, the problem is gone (but no wifi of course).

UPDATE: After some testing, it seems the 100% cpu eating only occurs when I'm NOT browsing the internet, when I'm actually browsing the internet with my Airport connection, cpu usage drops significantly! Weird...

SOLVED: I swapped my card into another pci slot and now it works like a charm without any high cpu load :(

• 2 weeks later...
As posted above, the 4.8 kext works with 5.2, I'll have a play with 5.2 kexts when I have some spare time. Generally, backup your edited kexts before applying updates :) .

I have 10.5.2 and do all the steps above, but no airport are found, also no icon. when I boot the system in verbose mode I see that "an error occured loading the kernel extension airportatheros5424.kext"

can anybody tells me what do I wrong?

I have 10.5.2 and do all the steps above, but no airport are found, also no icon. when I boot the system in verbose mode I see that "an error occured loading the kernel extension airportatheros5424.kext"

can anybody tells me what do I wrong?

Hello.

First, I would like to thank everyone here that tried to help.

I have a HP laptop with Intel 3945ABG (the worst wireless card in the world) and I bought a PCMCIA card to use with Hackint0sh.

The card is: TP-LINK TL-WN610G (AR5212) PCMCIA cardbus.

After read this topic and many others a thousand times I'm very close to make it work properly.

Using these kext http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036 my OSX recognized the cardbus.

Using the kext posted by consolation everything is found.

AirPort is On, dmesg dont show anything strange... instead it shows Channels 1 2 ... 11...

BUT when I try to see the networks my system hangs, freeze... completely.

Any ideas??

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.3.

I just would like to add something:

When I remove the card the system back from freeze. And AirPort become off.

I already waited for many many minutes, but it really hangs.

Sometimes I can see the networks names, but hangs right after this.

Hmm, after reading this thread I am a bit confused: I never had any problems with my Netgear WG311T, neither with Tiger nor with Leo. After each (airport related) update I just add 168c,13 and it works.

You should care about the plists (not only the NetworkInterfaces.plist). The driver will be loaded first, so the dev ID should be inserted before it reads the plists. A good chance is to remove any network plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (you need to reenter your prefs). If you add your dev ID in AirPortAtheros.kext before, it should detect the new device.

All network kexts are vanilla. Successfully connected to WPA/WEP/WEP-Hex/Unsecure at boot time.

Hope it helps you guys.

Edit: You should double check that your ethernet device is at en0 while airport must be at en1. So make sure you don't have parallels or vmware installed before getting it to work.

I couldn't make the TL-WN610G (PCMCIA, AR5212, 108mbps, TP-LINK) works properly.

Tried all kext and combinations possible.

The far I could get is everything recognized but freezing when try connect.

I'm selling this {censored} and buying a D-Link DWL-G122 which already come with drivers for OSX 10.5.

f**k sake.

Did all the things described above.

My AR5212 is now recognized.

But when I go to Airport Utility, I can't turn Airport 'on'. It just stayes 'off'.

Assist won't do anything, because I can't select an Airport connection.

I'm running 10.5.1

Someone know something to solve this?..

nvm.. my mistake, solved it -_-

thx 4 the tutorial!!

Hey Guys!

I have a TPLINK 651G which uses the atheros5212 chipset. This card is installed on the PCI slot of a P5kPRO motherboard.

After grueling install after install! and stuffing around with instructions on this post, I gave up trying to make the wireless card work.

Last week i decided to reinstall 10.5.2 kalyway for the last time. On this install I chose to select only IO80211 Family Kext and the Atheros kext, since i knew the others wouldnt work. ( also chose only vanilla kernel) After the install I applied the 10.5.3 combo update and then continued to install all other updats except for the next combo update.

Today I thought I might give the wireless card another wack. This is what I did. Mind you I know how to use terminal, just got sick of using it!

- Using finder I opened /system/library/extensions

- I right clicked/commmand/alt on a windows keboard - clicked the file> IO8021Family.kext > and selected show package contents.

- In the new finder window I opened contents > Plugins

- in that folder i removed the file AirPortAtheros5424.kext by copying it to desktop and then delting it from the plugin folder. Thereby leaving AirPortAtheros.kext as the only file in there. I did this because after much research i found out that my card is actually a 5212 based card not a 5424 based card. This was done to reduce driver confusion.

- I right clicked on AirPortAtheros.kext and selected show package contents.

- Clicked on Contents > and opened Info.plist with Textmate <---- much better than pico/nano/vi - Yes i am very lazy!!!

- I went down to :

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

<string>pci168c,23</string>

<string>pci168c,24</string>

and inserted:

<string>pci168c,13</string>

- Then i closed the file and saved it- pci168c,13 refers to my card's manufacture id.

-NB: Along the way os will ask you to type in your password, this is similar to using the sudo command in terminal.

- Dragged into trash the file /system/library/extention.mkext < this is a chache of all the drivers that the os uses, typed in my password again.

- Restarted my computer.

-Voila! Airport popped up! Clicked on airport clicked on open network prefs > clicked on ASIST me, the rest is self explanatory.

- If you are really particular and could be bothered to sort out the chown and chmod of the appropriate files then go to spotlight and type> Disk Utility ; when it opens up select your disk and click repair permissions. * i honestly couldnt be bothered- may get around to it someday.

This method does not use any old kexts or involve any downloading! The problems i was having with leo 10.5.2 and wireless/ with tiger kext were:

- no wireless card detected.

- after following instructions. Leo crashing when joining wep networks/anynetworks.

- network card present but not being able to activate.

- instant crashing!!!

- FAIL FAIL FAIL !!! EPIC FAILED!

My specs are:

P5kPro

q6600 quad

4 gb ram in 2 channels

8600gt with 512ddr3

Sata dvd

320gb hdd seagate

TP-Link 651g

Leo 10.5.3 vanilla

and finally my finally my leo is working sweet!

Hope this helps others out there! Others who have used the other methods provided and reached EPIC fail.

PS the TP-LINK 651g was purchased from Dragon PC in christchurch www.dragonpc.co.nz

NashinatoR

I'm just going to seed some keywords in here for folks looking for this solution. I've hunted and hunted and this particular fix took me a lonnggg time to find. So, here goes Google, keyword soup:

AIRONET-CB21AG-A-K9 works with OSX86 if you read this howto/tutorial on setting up your Cisco card with the Atheros 5212 chipset. It shows up in the menubar as Atheros 5001 if your cardbus is working. Cisco's Aironet cb21ag works under OS X if you follow the directions in the first post of this article.

And...I'm done. Thanks for this tutorial. It worked perfectly for the card mentioned above. I've heard rumors there's a special driver Cisco has behind closed doors that they wrote for the cb21ag and will release upon a pretty-please request. If anyone has a corporate account with them and wants to put in a query to them, it'd be interesting to see if this is true.

Hey Guys!

I have a TPLINK 651G which uses the atheros5212 chipset. This card is installed on the PCI slot of a P5kPRO motherboard.

After grueling install after install! and stuffing around with instructions on this post, I gave up trying to make the wireless card work.

Last week i decided to reinstall 10.5.2 kalyway for the last time. On this install I chose to select only IO80211 Family Kext and the Atheros kext, since i knew the others wouldnt work. ( also chose only vanilla kernel) After the install I applied the 10.5.3 combo update and then continued to install all other updats except for the next combo update.

Today I thought I might give the wireless card another wack. This is what I did. Mind you I know how to use terminal, just got sick of using it!

- Using finder I opened /system/library/extensions

- I right clicked/commmand/alt on a windows keboard - clicked the file> IO8021Family.kext > and selected show package contents.

- In the new finder window I opened contents > Plugins

- in that folder i removed the file AirPortAtheros5424.kext by copying it to desktop and then delting it from the plugin folder. Thereby leaving AirPortAtheros.kext as the only file in there. I did this because after much research i found out that my card is actually a 5212 based card not a 5424 based card. This was done to reduce driver confusion.

- I right clicked on AirPortAtheros.kext and selected show package contents.

- Clicked on Contents > and opened Info.plist with Textmate <---- much better than pico/nano/vi - Yes i am very lazy!!!

- I went down to :

and inserted:

<string>pci168c,13</string>

- Then i closed the file and saved it- pci168c,13 refers to my card's manufacture id.

-NB: Along the way os will ask you to type in your password, this is similar to using the sudo command in terminal.

- Dragged into trash the file /system/library/extention.mkext < this is a chache of all the drivers that the os uses, typed in my password again.

- Restarted my computer.

-Voila! Airport popped up! Clicked on airport clicked on open network prefs > clicked on ASIST me, the rest is self explanatory.

- If you are really particular and could be bothered to sort out the chown and chmod of the appropriate files then go to spotlight and type> Disk Utility ; when it opens up select your disk and click repair permissions. * i honestly couldnt be bothered- may get around to it someday.

This method does not use any old kexts or involve any downloading! The problems i was having with leo 10.5.2 and wireless/ with tiger kext were:

- no wireless card detected.

- after following instructions. Leo crashing when joining wep networks/anynetworks.

- network card present but not being able to activate.

- instant crashing!!!

- FAIL FAIL FAIL !!! EPIC FAILED!

My specs are:

P5kPro

q6600 quad

4 gb ram in 2 channels

8600gt with 512ddr3

Sata dvd

320gb hdd seagate

TP-Link 651g

Leo 10.5.3 vanilla

and finally my finally my leo is working sweet!

Hope this helps others out there! Others who have used the other methods provided and reached EPIC fail.

PS the TP-LINK 651g was purchased from Dragon PC in christchurch www.dragonpc.co.nz

NashinatoR

Hi Im new in this.... i got a toshiba satellite a60 and comes with atheros ar5212 i did everything you do ...and works ok it's a miracle, and im with 10.5.2 with a fresh new install

Thanks a lot!!!! Can sleep right now lol

AR5212 + Leo kext (AirportAtheros.kext) will freeze 9/10 of the times. I guess it's due to the subsys device id but i'm not sure. If it's indeed the problem, we would need to rebrand it, but im not sure to which device id since I don't what are the ones a real AR5212 uses on macs.