[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

it works for my Cisco CB21A (ABG wireless network) too.

But, the card have to be plugged into my laptop before starting the Leopard OS, or else the card will not been detected.

Is there anyone get hot plug or hot swap detecting wireless PCMCIA card? (it means that replug the card without reboot system).

Thank you

Update on my own progress....

Have tried the following vanilla (modified for 5212) IO80211family.kexts from these OS X versions:

- 10.4.5:

Airport detected immediately, works 100%, upon next reboot blank blue screen. No tell tale signs or suspect entries in /var/log/system.log

- 10.4.8:

This is the popular and successful version for most people in the thread, however for me, the system can't even detect an airport card!

- 10.5.2, 10.5.3, 10.5.4:

Much the same as 10.4.5, or as my first post in the thread. Works flawlessly, then after a few reboots starts playing up. Immensely frustrating, as the freeze points during boot or in system.log are all seeminly at random entries. Ie; what I think is happening is that the card has 'already started' crashing, and then sometimes takes longer than other times to freeze the system.

The above kexts were all vanilla (extracted from apple update packages)... perhaps someone can recommend a hacked version that could work for my 5212?

The en0 / en1 thing makes no difference.

Can someone tell me what builds the network preferences? I tried delted system preferences and network preferences, yet somehow it found some old TCP/IP settings, as in my ethernet was still remembered.. strange... anyone?

Not sure how much far further I can take this unfortunately. I'll keep searching though...

Update:

I can confirm a working system, with these exact details:

-IO80211Family.kext - version 1.4 (from 10.4.8 delta upgrade)

^-AirportAtheros5424.kext - version 1.0.6 (modified with vendor ID as per first post)

-IONetworkingFamily.kext - version 1.6.0 (possibly to do with it, I needed it for TM fix)

I can't logically explain what happened. After nuking every possibly network related config file I could find, and several reboots, airport suddenly appeared as an option to '+' in network preferences.

As with some other people, I have to manually 'up' the airport, via a bash script, and can't through software login to my WPApersonal network - no big deal at all. I consider this 98% flawless.

EDIT: Just incase I update my system in the future, the above is for this system:

OS X: Kalway 10.5.2 > Kalyway combo update 10.5.3 vanilla kernel option > Apple update 10.5.4

MB: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 3.0Ghz LGA775 6M Cache

RAM: 4GB @ 800mhz

Disk: WD Caviar 640GB WD6400AAKS

DVD: Asus DRW-2014L1T (no write support!)

Network: Onboard Realtek 8111B (if network settings changed have to reboot to take effect)

Video: Nvidia 8800GT 512mb

Sound: MOTU 828 (working, but it must be on before turning on PC)

Wireless: TP-link TL-WN651G

Notes: Firewire / USB fully working. Shutdown / restart work, sleep doesn't. Viewsonic 2030b fully working.

slipttees do you think your kext could work with atheros ar 9281 bgn

only knows testing, but you need to add u device id's ;-)

anyone know if this is confirmed working for the D-link Wda 2320

test

anyone have any recommendations for what kext to use for 10.5.5

i'm use 10.4.8 kext

i'm use 10.4.8 kext

Is there a way to make it work in 10.5.5 without having to modify any kext? Can we add some kind of an EFI String for it? I'd like my installation to be as vanilla as possible for the sake of updates. :)

I'm using Netgear WG311T. If anyone has any information on this, please let me know, thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've created a primitive shell script, which connects to the first Access Point found in the Keychain.

#!/bin/sh

get_firstAccessPointInKeychain () {
  security find-generic-password -s "AirPort Network" 1>&1 \
  |grep "\"acct\"" | cut -d '"' -f4
}

get_pw () {
  security 2>&1 >/dev/null find-generic-password -ga $1 \
  |ruby -e 'print $1 if STDIN.gets =~ /^password: "(.*)"$/'
}

echo Looking for the first wireless connection name in keychain ...

#get first available accesspoint from the keychain
connectionName=$(get_firstAccessPointInKeychain)

#get a password for a specific connection from the keychain
connectionPassword=$(get_pw "BooBooNet.wifi")

echo 'Connecting to: '$(get_firstAccessPointInKeychain)

networksetup -setairportnetwork "$connectionName" "$connectionPassword"

picture1.png

Image show I have one "AirPort Network Password" item in my KeyChain, script connects to the first one on the list.

I don't know if this script is useful or not, but I sure as hell learned to code shell scripts :)

Thanks! What if the network is hidden? :D

• 2 weeks later...
I've created a primitive shell script, which connects to the first Access Point found in the Keychain.

#!/bin/sh

get_firstAccessPointInKeychain () {
 security find-generic-password -s "AirPort Network" 1>&1 \
 |grep "\"acct\"" | cut -d '"' -f4
}

get_pw () {
 security 2>&1 >/dev/null find-generic-password -ga $1 \
 |ruby -e 'print $1 if STDIN.gets =~ /^password: "(.*)"$/'
}

echo Looking for the first wireless connection name in keychain ...

#get first available accesspoint from the keychain
connectionName=$(get_firstAccessPointInKeychain)

#get a password for a specific connection from the keychain
connectionPassword=$(get_pw "BooBooNet.wifi")

echo 'Connecting to: '$(get_firstAccessPointInKeychain)

networksetup -setairportnetwork "$connectionName" "$connectionPassword"

picture1.png

Image show I have one "AirPort Network Password" item in my KeyChain, script connects to the first one on the list.

I don't know if this script is useful or not, but I sure as hell learned to code shell scripts ;)

I am a newbie. But can someone explain how to implement this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all to the information.

Now I able to use old Phillips Streamiup WLAN card as AIRPORT.

I had the same problem, not able to to start autoticly the service. (all time need to start diagnostic)

But: After I change the order for networks in the network start page to aiport for first, it works like exspected.

Again, great job in this forum.

Now only audio is open to place the mux, but chispas time is comming and i have time...

I am a newbie. But can someone explain how to implement this?

Hi adaseb,

open TextEdit and write this in it:

#!/bin/sh
networksetup -setairportnetwork "Networkname" "WPA2-Password"
kill -9 $(ps wax | grep "[T]erminal.app" | awk '{print $1}')

Save the file for example as "Airport.command".

Now you can start your wireless connection with a doubleclick on it.

For autostart you can go to SystemPreferences, User, Startupitems and put this script there. Then the wireless connection always start with booting OSX.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Dlink DWL-G520 Rev.B working on my Leopard 10.5.6

But now i cant connect to WPA connections.

Allways getting the error "Connection Fails"

I've Tried this in the terminal:

sudo networksetup -setairportnetwork "ConnectionPoint" "PASSWORD"

The connection goes off, the bar wireless icon then gets full for a few seconds, and then i receive this message:

** Error: Error obtaining wireless information.

Please help me.

Best Regards,

John Maia

Well playing arround I found a way to make work with a lattest version of IO80211Family.kext (ver 2.1.4) for 10.5.6 I hope this one works for you. Made by me today

tested with a 10.5.6 and vanilla, on a tp-link tl-wn551g (168c,001a) (atheros 5005g) PCI sometimes sleep doesnt work or had to deactivate and activate airport to conect....but almost times works fine.

Well playing arround I found a way to make work with a lattest version of IO80211Family.kext (ver 2.1.4) for 10.5.6 I hope this one works for you. Made by me today

tested with a 10.5.6 and vanilla, on a tp-link tl-wn551g (168c,001a) (atheros 5005g) PCI sometimes sleep doesnt work or had to deactivate and activate airport to conect....but almost times works fine.

So it doesnt freeze when trying to connect to wifi? Anybody else confirm this? i have 168c,13 device. thx

I am loathed to bump this thread, considering I thought I solved my problem...

For various reasons decided to do a format / reinstall the other day (Kaly 10.5.2 > kaly combo .3 -> apple delta .4), but couldnt get wireless working again. Went over my own notes, which are much the same as slipttees. I remember though when I first got this going it was indeed a seemingly random effort involving random reboots, preference file deletes, network assistant runnings and other fumbling.

I have a little more experience in wireless / hackintosh atheros now and have tracked down the problem to WPA... Much the same as john above, I get the same error when running from terminal: ** Error: Error obtaining wireless information.

Have tried every trick in the book, reinstalled four(!) times completely and Im tearing my hair out. Can connect to wireless router (WRT54GL) in open mode with no passwords set (obviously this long term would be a foolish idea!).

Any ideas guys? Who else has had a working system, reinstalled with a working method only to find it not working anymore?

Of course will post my outcome or 'solution' if I find one...

:(

EDIT: Turned out to be a router issue! Relief? Yes. The 10.4.8 kext method still works!