[How To]Atheros AR5212 based cards, now w/ Leopard

consolation

384 posts in this topic

Consolation, I re-read and followed the instructions 3 times now, but I still don't see Airport anywhere, not in the System Profile, not in the menubar and not in the Network preferences window when I add an interface... how do I fix this? :( I noticed that in my system profile, my LAN connection is called "en1" is that a problem? Should it not be "en0"?

I'd remove all but one wireless card, (till you get it working) - then add the second one if you need it.

Have you checked your device ID?

Are you using the kext from my post?

What's the content of your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file?

I'd remove all but one wireless card, (till you get it working) - then add the second one if you need it.

Have you checked your device ID?

Are you using the kext from my post?

What's the content of your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file?

Works now! I just replaced mykext with the one you posted and then did the permissions thing and rebooted, and voila! Airport was on the menubar and network prefs! Thanks a lot :( And so far it doesn't seem to crash my OS or anything...did you remove the other device ids? Or is this a 10.4.8 kext?

Thanks a lot consolation. :)

Or is this a 10.4.8 kext?

Thanks a lot consolation. :)

It's a tiger one, can't remember what version; it seems that the leopard kext causes a violent crash on my GA-P35.... :( I can edit it and it loads ok, but as soon as i try to connect to a network - kerrr-splat!!!

no problem...

Avoid text editors, they can mangle plists badly. I prefer to use nano in terminal, simply type sudo nano , drag your plist into the terminal and hit return. However, you'll need to be VERY CAREFUL about retaining the formatting and tabs. It's easier to use plist editor that comes with the developer tools on the install dvd. However, with it, you'll need to work on a copy and then move it into the extensions folder.

Attached is my kext, it should work for you as long as your device id is 168c,13 Delete the current kext before moving this one into the extensions folder.Then:

Start up terminal and type

cd /

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Shutdown and restart, you airport should be detected. Go to system preferences/network, make sure you can see your ap, if not click the + button under the list to add it. Follow the instructions in 1st post to connect to secure networks.

good luck

I get a lot of messages asking where to add missing interfaces and icons. Go to Apple menu ->preferences ->network, then select the airport or add it. Screeny attached...

Thanks your kext worked now I have to try connecting to a secure network using

Follow the instructions in 1st post to connect to secure networks.

THANX

Just reporting - Lenovo´s T60 worked fine with Kaly´s Leo DVD after including the device ID in AirportAtheros.kext and deleting the Code* entries.

I did not need to remove the other entries. After some boots it´s still working (and fast). The icon on the taskbar works also.

But it won´t connect automatically to my network - but I think that is related to the fact I don´t broadcast my SSID... Later I´ll try enabling it.

EDIT: Indeed, that was it. I rebooted and Leo said my preferred networks aren't reachable. Then I've shut MacOS down, enabled the SSID broadcast on my AP and restarted. At the end of the boot, the Airport taskbar icon was already showing the signal strength and I'm posting from Mac OS now... :-)

Thank you for the fantastic guide! This is to report success with Atheros AR5212 Mini PCI on ThinkPad T61. Added Vendor ID 168c and Device ID 1014 - worked like a charm. I do not have any WEP networks around to try it but next week I will and will know how things go on *full* functionality.

Thanks!

Thank you for the guide, my Netgear WG311T is now fully working with Leopard 10.5.1 (Kalyway).

I used BugsBunny's kexts (can be found on page 5 in this thread), which I installed with Kext Helper. I didn't even modify the NetworkInterfaces.plist. It's interesting, that at first I had to use "Assist me" to connect to my hidden network, since Airport couldn't be turned on. However, now I can easily connect to different networks, WEP & open, just by clicking on Airport icon in menu bar.

In System Profiler Netgear Adapter is listed as:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x89)

Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)

Thank you for the guide, my Netgear WG311T is now fully working with Leopard 10.5.1 (Kalyway). I used BugsBunny's kexts (can be found on page 5 in this thread), which I installed with Kext Helper. I didn't even modify the NetworkInterfaces.plist. It's interesting, that at first I had to use "Assist me" to connect to my hidden network, since Airport couldn't be turned on. However, now I can easily connect to different networks, WEP & open, just by clicking on Airport icon in menu bar. In System Profiler Netgear Adapter is listed as:Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x89)Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (4.170.25.8)
That's mighty odd, it seems to think you have a Broadcom not Atheros chipset.....
Using the 10.4.8 kext, my card is fully functional. However, wake from sleep is not working. Without it, wake from sleep works perfectly
I lost sleep somewhere along the way, I was hoping this might have been the answer. Unfortunately, it makes no difference which kext I use on my mobo. Anyone else?

That's mighty odd, it seems to think you have a Broadcom not Atheros chipset.....

Yes, it's odd; however, after few reboots now it shows:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x5A00)

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 0.1.31.1

By the way, I mainly use hidden open wireless network, where you have to enter Network Name, and of course I always click to remember this network. But sometimes, after shutdown it can't automatically reconnect to my network, and I have to use 'Join other network' to manually reconnect. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Consolation, Thank you very much for the kext you provided, my Netgear WG311T is now fully working with Leopard 10.5.1 (Kalyway). Kext from 10.4.5 (which I was using on JAS 10.4.8) didn't work.

At first I also had to use "Assist me" to connect to my network, since Airport couldn't be turned on. Now I can connect to open and WEP networks, by clicking on Airport icon in menu bar. Tomorrow I will try chipxsd's script. First i will backup everything just in case.

Hi,

need help for getting my wireless card Conceptronic C54C running. Tried the last days many versions of IO80211Family.kext with my device-id <string>pci168c,13</string> in Info.plist. But unfortunately OSx recognized the card always as an ethernet device instead of airport. For system info please look at my signature.

Windows shows the card as VEN=168C DEV=0013 SUBSYS=3A941186 REV=01\5&26F8D8A3&0&0030F0

C54C works well with Linux. Lspci on Ubuntu 7.10 gives this info:

10:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)
Subsystem: D-Link System Inc C54C Wireless 801.11g cardbus
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 168 (2500ns min, 7000ns max), Cache Line Size: 128 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 22
Region 0: Memory at 90000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

And dmesg on OSx86 10.5.1 shows this:

IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 16): vendor 0x168c, device 0x0013
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_alloc(bus 16): found 1 functions
IOCardBusDevice: binding socket 0 function 0 to card services.
IOPCCard info:   cs: cb_config(bus 16)
IOPCCard info:  fn 0 bar 1: mem 0x90010000-0x9001ffff
IOPCCard info:  irq 22

OSx recognized the card as an ethernet device instead of airport.

ethernet:

Function: Ethernet Controller
Vendor: Unknown
Type: CardBus
Vendor ID: 5772
Device ID: 19

On the top status bar is only a PCMCIA-icon giving this message:

Atheros Communications, Inc.
AR5001-0000-0000
Karte ausschalten

Any help is welcome .. even if you tell me, that the card will never work with OSx!

Thanks,

--LowTech

to all the guys having system lockups with the 10.5.1 kexts:

i got rid of them simply by making my airport-extreme showing it's ssid again (i.e. disabling the 'closed network' feature). actually, even my macbook-pro has trouble finding it's wifi-net now and then without seeing the ssid of the router but it doesn't hang then. anyway, it works for me, maybe it does for others.

btw: wpa is on and the wifi becomes connected when loggin in, of course ;)

system here: 168c,13 (modified the original kext for the id) and kalyway 10.5.1

---

EDIT: nevermind, only works now and then... as far as i am concerned, do yourself a favor and buy a different wifi-adapter ;)

I made a discovery today after a lot of :P and I mean a lot! So sorry for so long a post. I am somewhat a n00b to OSX, but not the CLI (via Linux) so I refused to give up since I have seen my atheros card work.

I have an D-Link pci atheros5212 chipset wireless card and got it working via the directions in the first post using the 10.4.8 kext over my 10.5 one, and it worked well in fact. But like a lot of others here, when I would reboot it would sometimes work fine and then suddenly it would not and go into kernel panics at boot or just hang with the "unable to start recv logic" problem that is definitely caused by the atheros driver. Well when this happened it usually occurred from a dirty shutdown or lockup... or something else... me messing with the network settings via the "Network Preferences" window under advanced :o . Things I would do where like checking "Disconnect from wireless networks when logging out" or "Remember any network this computer has joined". The later one really got me. No matter what I did I could not get past the "unable to start recv logic" error at boot and could only use -x to get back in and try SOMETHING to make it work.

Well I remembered editing NetworkInterfaces.plist originally to set my card as en1, so I went into the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration directory to look around. I found 2 things in there that interested me:

com.apple.network.identification.plist

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

I looked at them and they were full of old stuff about my netwrok, IPV4 and routing stuff etc... well I decided it wouldn't hurt to just move them to _bak files and reboot.

Guess what? It finally got past that :) "unable to start recv logic" error/hang and came right up! All I had to do at that point was select my network. I looked at that directory again and the OS had regenerated those preference files, so i deleted the _bak ones. I am sure more experienced OSXers would have known that to start, or may even know this trick already...but I didn't and thought I would share

So there is another idea for those having that hangup/kernel panic issue when you had the atheros5212 working already.

My question for those that NEVER have problems with this, what are your "NetworkPreferences --> Advanced" settings? I am guessing I can play around until I find the settings that will prevent it from hanging up at boot.

Edit: I have been playing with this and it seems that when I make changes the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist -new and -lock files are made, my boot hung once and I just deleted the com.apple.network.identification.plist and it then booted fine and I just reselected my network.

My question for those that NEVER have problems with this, what are your "NetworkPreferences --> Advanced" settings? I am guessing I can play around until I find the settings that will prevent it from hanging up at boot.

I occasionally get that error on reboot from dirty shutdowns, if I boot with -f it usually fixes itself. However, I found that using the sleep kernel from the hackint0sh irc got rid of most of these problems.

A little tip to make life easier. under /system/library/CoreServices is the Network Diagnostics.app. Drag it onto your dock and use it to connect - saves a few clicks

Under Advanced, for the Airport, I only have remember networks... box ticked -save putting in the password everytime. But, I do not have it joining any preferred ones automatically. That would just hang it.

A little tip to make life easier. under /system/library/CoreServices is the Network Diagnostics.app. Drag it onto your dock and use it to connect - saves a few clicks

Under Advanced, for the Airport, I only have remember networks... box ticked -save putting in the password everytime. But, I do not have it joining any preferred ones automatically. That would just hang it.

consolation, thanks for quick reply, I was messing and getting it to lock up, reboot with -x, delete the above .plist file, reboot with no options passed, join my network etc etc... Trying your settings now.

Update: Your settings worked like a charm. Thanks so much! I think those settings make a difference. I still saw "unable to start recv logic" during the bootup (I used -v), but they went by REAL quick and the system just booted right up and joined the open network (I live in the STICKS!) right a way!!!

Update2 Ok well it worked fine this morning when I got up and booted. But I rebooted into windows for the wife and when I got home and rebooted back into OSX, this came up again. I had to delete both the com.apple.network.identification.plist and com.apple.airport.preferences.plist while in single user mode to then bootup. Any other ideas?

I am using the golden kernel (9.0). I tried ToH mach_sleep kernel, but it would only boot on my system if I passed cpus=1.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to Conslutation and others in this forum, I got my Atheros AR5212 based card working perfectly with WPA encryption and everythings working great so far. I used Consulations directions for 10.4.8 and change en0 to en2, because I also have a PCI Based Ethernet card that uses en1.

Now all I have left to do for my os x to run flawlessly is for 3D acceleration to work so i can play WOW!!

hello everybody,

i am lost after reading through the whole thread and don't know what to do.

i have a wg311t that i am running perfectly in JAS 10.4.8. but now i installed kalyway 10.5.1 on another partition and it doesn't recognize the wg311t.

so i took the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.8 JAS Tiger (where it was running well), and copied it to the kalyway LEO extensions folder where i replaced the LEO one. Then i repaired permissions, but it didn't work, not even after a restart. i think once it even said something like "leopard can't use your kext, please contact the manufacturer" or something.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what i did do wrong? how can i get this WG311t to work? i'm confused

thanks

simon

edit: i may have done some editing to the 10.4.8 kexts back then to get it to work, like changing the device id...but it worked like a charm in 10.4.8, please help me to get it to work in leopard, life without internet sucks!

hello everybody,

i am lost after reading through the whole thread and don't know what to do.

i have a wg311t that i am running perfectly in JAS 10.4.8. but now i installed kalyway 10.5.1 on another partition and it doesn't recognize the wg311t.

so i took the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.8 JAS Tiger (where it was running well), and copied it to the kalyway LEO extensions folder where i replaced the LEO one. Then i repaired permissions, but it didn't work, not even after a restart. i think once it even said something like "leopard can't use your kext, please contact the manufacturer" or something.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what i did do wrong? how can i get this WG311t to work? i'm confused

thanks

simon

edit: i may have done some editing to the 10.4.8 kexts back then to get it to work, like changing the device id...but it worked like a charm in 10.4.8, please help me to get it to work in leopard, life without internet sucks!

Make sure you follow these directions when repairing the permissions, clearing the kextcache seems to help so do that as well.

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

After you repair your permissions and restart, you should be able to see the airport icon in the top left next to your clock, it will probably say Not Configured and wont show up in your Networking Setting in System preferences. To fix this you need to change en0 to either en1 or en2 depending on if you have additional adapters. In my case my bluetooth was en0 and my ethernet was en1, so my wireless had to be configured to use en2.

edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file

edit the string <string>en0</string>

to <string>en1</string> (or en2 if you have other network cards i guess)

and string <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

to <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer> <--- this number shall reflect the one used in the other.. so if you have en1 it shoud be 1 and en2 should be 2 and so on.

Also, I dont know if it makes a difference, but I used the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.8 Intel Update from Apple, not the one from JAS 2.0 10.4.8.

hello tncpeterd,

thank you very much for your quick reply!!!!

i'll try this as soon as i get home.

just 4 more questions:

1) from which 10.4.8 update do i get the kext? i think there are different ones, like combo etc?

2) when i use this original apple kext, do i have to change the vendor id's etc according to the first page of this topic?

2) how do i know whether i need to change en0 to en1 or en2?

3) when editing the NetworkInterfaces.plist file, can i just drag it to the desktop, edit it with the apple text editor and put it back to the extentions folder?

thanks,

best,

simon

i still cant get it to work. i'm using a lenovo t60. the internal card is a AR5BXB6. the thing is.. i managed to get it working before. after doing a reinstallation of leopard, it cant work anymore. btw, what cards will work out-of-the-box with leopard? the interface for the wireless card is a mini pci express.

You just need to edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist file

edit the string <string>en0</string>

to <string>en1</string> (or en2 if you have other network cards i guess)

and string <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

to <key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer> <--- this number shall reflect the one used in the other.. so if you have en1 it shoud be 1 and en2 should be 2 and so on.

Then just reboot and check your network settings. It should find a new Airport card.

i dont get this part. my ethernet is set as en0 and my wireless is set as en1. so what it is asking is to change the ethernet to en1 and wireless to en0?

i dont get this part. my ethernet is set as en0 and my wireless is set as en1. so what it is asking is to change the ethernet to en1 and wireless to en0?

Reply, nah that's the correct settings. You don't need to edit that part.

Please check your device IDs before editing the .plist

hello tncpeterd,

thank you very much for your quick reply!!!!

i'll try this as soon as i get home.

just 4 more questions:

1) from which 10.4.8 update do i get the kext? i think there are different ones, like combo etc?

2) when i use this original apple kext, do i have to change the vendor id's etc according to the first page of this topic?

2) how do i know whether i need to change en0 to en1 or en2?

3) when editing the NetworkInterfaces.plist file, can i just drag it to the desktop, edit it with the apple text editor and put it back to the extentions folder?

thanks,

best,

simon

Simon -

1) You can download the 10.4.8 update from Apple.com, just search for it. you want the intel version, dont download the combo.

2a) When you use the 10.4.8 kext you will need to update device and vendor ID according to the instrucions provided on the 1st page of this thread.

2b) You only need to do this if your wireless is conflicting with another adapter, in my case my airport was set to en0 and so was my bluetooth, causing my airport to be disabled. To check these settings you can type ifconfig in Terminal or go to System Profiler and check to see how your adapters are setup.

3) The easiest way to edit your NetworkInterfaces.plist is by using the nano command

use:

nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

then ctrl - 0 to save ctrl - x to exit.

1) You can download the 10.4.8 update from Apple.com, just search for it. you want the intel version, dont download the combo.

I think you are confusing combo and universal:

There are both combo & delta versions of the Intel update; the combo upgrades any .4.(x<8) to a .4.8, the delta only upgrades .4.7

Link to the delta should be in the first post; but AFAIK - there is a "new" .8 kext in both flavours.

3) The easiest way to edit your NetworkInterfaces.plist is by using the nano command

use:

nano /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/Info.plist

The correct command is sudo nano ... Without "super user do" you will lack write permission, alternately you can sudo -s before starting work.

You WILL HAVE TO repair permissions after the edit. Make sure you retain formatting (use tab) when in nano.