Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

I read almost the whole topic but I still don't know what to do exactly.

--> Can someone PLEASE make a guide where every step is present (so also how to make a virtual machine).

I would realy appreciate it :(

SteveStar

for those who didn't know how to install Nforce4 SATA driver,

or to lazy to type in terminal,download these installer and run it..

Attached File NForce4_SATA.zip ( 358.08k ) Number of downloads: 151

Ok, I installed this, and my drive seems to work, however now whenever the drive is accessed, it causes the sounds to stutter, almost perfectly in beat with the drive activity.

Although I'm thrilled that my drive works, I think I'll stick to using a USB adapter for now.

Can anybody explain to me pretty please how to uninstall (get rid of) this driver properly and put my system back to how it was before?

Edit: my 200 gig Seagate IDE drive is only being shown as 128 GB, not sure if its a symptom, but it's worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I installed this, and my drive seems to work, however now whenever the drive is accessed, it causes the sounds to stutter, almost perfectly in beat with the drive activity.

Although I'm thrilled that my drive works, I think I'll stick to using a USB adapter for now.

Can anybody explain to me pretty please how to uninstall (get rid of) this driver properly and put my system back to how it was before?

Edit: my 200 gig Seagate IDE drive is only being shown as 128 GB, not sure if its a symptom, but it's worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance!

hmm that's new..

my drives seems to work without any problem at all..

for 128 gigs,that is a common problem..

i've read many times in this forum..

try search, maybe you will find the solution..

or try partitioning your hard drives..

hmm that's new..

my drives seems to work without any problem at all..

for 128 gigs,that is a common problem..

i've read many times in this forum..

try search, maybe you will find the solution..

or try partitioning your hard drives..

Well, the interesting thing is, I had tried to install onto the 200GB drive once before and it was picked up by the drive utility during install as 200GB.

I'll deal with that later though, but does anybody know a safe way to remove this driver without borking everything?

just delete the appleNforce4Sata.kext you find in system/library/extension then repair permission..

Thanks!

I like having a route of egress when things go south. It's funny, this morning it seems to be working fine. Only difference I can think of is I've started using VLC and I haven't opened iTunes yet today.

Maybe iTunes is to blame for the sound problem? I dunno.

You have to use ppf-o-matic 3 on windows or applyppf on OSX to apply ppf patch to your .iso

Also re-download a ppf patch of Nforce ATA/SATA to add support to your .iso of osx. The kext doesn't help you until you haven't install osx.

HI, i'm trying to patch my iso JaS_Mac_OS_X_10_4_8_AMD_Intel_SSE2_SSE3_PPF_1_Defiant_diskutil_biker880_ich7_R

with your ppf using PPF-O-MATIC3 under pc but besides it's finished well when i boot with the new burned dvd, kernel panic appears instantly.

Could you confirm the steps i've made?

Thanks in advance :(

4 months passed since the last release and there is still no MCP51 support. The project is undoubtely dead by now. Let's just hope the programmers decide to release the source code of the drivers so someone else can finsh it....

4 months passed since the last release and there is still no MCP51 support. The project is undoubtely dead by now. Let's just hope the programmers decide to release the source code of the drivers so someone else can finsh it....

Yeah, good luck with that dream, I wish for the same thing. I've asked to help, but don't even get a response. If they're not going to keep working on it, then they could at least fork over their near working source. If not, I'm just going to start over from scratch. Been there, done that.

Sorry guys... I was really busy with my social life & work in the last month... I didn't trash the project, and i'm still trying to figure out where the problem resides. Actually, i think that the problem must be researched in the ioatafamily (or lower), because linux, bsd and other drivers really don't have any major change from the ata family - really, if you look at the source code, you'll find that the mcp5x/6x requires little mods to the lower ata library compared to ck804 or mcp04...

Also, i'll posts the sources as soon as possible...

Greetings,

Domenico.

Sorry guys... I was really busy with my social life & work in the last month... I didn't trash the project, and i'm still trying to figure out where the problem resides. Actually, i think that the problem must be researched in the ioatafamily (or lower), because linux, bsd and other drivers really don't have any major change from the ata family - really, if you look at the source code, you'll find that the mcp5x/6x requires little mods to the lower ata library compared to ck804 or mcp04...

Greetings,

Domenico.

Thats good to hear. I started working on an mcp51 driver a couple weeks ago, after spending some time with the freebsd drivers. I'll show you what I have so far if you like.

Thanks MeDevil

for you who want to install osx to SATA drive on nForce4 chip,here's a little step by step:

1.download installer from *edited check next page to find installer*

2.boot to your installer dvd

3.go to terminal and type this:

/Applications/Utilities/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer [enter]

4.browse to filepath where installer from 1st step you save

there's a readme on link above,but it's written in indonesian..

moderator from my country local forum created this installer(medevill and bike dude driver)..

these installer can be use to recognized your SATA as a secondary drive as well..

Snowski:

delete the extension.kextcache and extensions.mkext

it's on system/library

sorry for bad english..

if anyone who have tried can make a better step by step,

please post here to make it easier for everyone..

So if I understand well you have to:

-Unzip the file and copy the map which is named Nforce4 SATA.pkg to for example a bootable iPod (in my case a 30gb video)

-Then boot to the osx86 installation dvd (in my case JaS 10.4.6)

-Go to the terminal and type in: /Applications/Utilities/Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Installer

-Then you get a screen where you can select a device where you saved the package.

I came to this point and no further because there are no devices listed accept for the installation dvd.

I had an ipod and a USB stick plugged in but they were not listed.

But in disk utility they were listed.

Can someone help me please...

my old nforce4 mainboard work just fine with patched tubgirl's dvd (MeDevil's method)

but my new nforce5 (asus m2n-sli deluxe-nforce570 sli) just hang when i erase the partition on sata hdd, and my mainboard comes with just 1 ide connect so i can't connect my pata driver and dvd at the same time (actually, there is way, but it makes my rig look like a mess)

can anny one have the solution for this?? in near future?? i know that not much guys out there have nforce5 (they all gone core 2 dou ;) ) but i still hope some one will help

oh, buy the way, is there any chance that i can get a pci ide card that work on OSX??, then my problem will not be problm any more??

thansk MeDevil and others again for there amazing works :tomato:

hi;

ive installed osx via vmware and then transfered it into a sata partition via linux.

grub also shows my osx installation so i can start to boot.

but when im tryin to boot osx i get the error "IOATA device blocking bus".

i have Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 mobo; which has nForce430 and MCP51(i think).

i've a SATA drive and installed the sata driver package.

so, as i read the blocking bus problem shouldnt occur in my nf4; as told in some earlier posts (removing usb hubs or devices may help resolving bus blocking problem) , i removed all my usb devices and tried again, tho i still got the error.

what should i do any ideas???

Hi!

First of all, I want to thank the kext authors for making it possible to use S-ATA under Mac OS on nForce4 chipsets!!!

I have A8N-SLI motherboard with 2 HD's: P-ATA (Mac OS) and S-ATA (on which Windows XP resides).

I followed instructions posted on this thread and eventually managed to get Mac OS recognize my Samsung S-ATA disk. Though I noticed that OS didn't add to the desktop an icon for the first partition (there are 4 NTFS partitions on that disk). Disk utility sees the partition but reports it as 'not mounted'. I run the Terminal and found that in /dev directory there are files for all partitions including the first. Then I tried to mount the partition and received the following error message:

/dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/Test: Incorrect super block.

Partition in question is Windows XP root partition and I have never experienced problems with it. Windows works flawlessly.

Second thing I noticed was that in Disk utility S.M.A.R.T. status for the S-ATA disk reads 'Not Supported'. Shouldn't it be 'Verified' as it is for the P-ATA disk?

I am quite a newbie to Macs and Darwin. So I don't know where to look next.

Could someone please suggest something to resolve the problem?

Thank you in advance!

FX

Greetings,

Domenico.

MeDevil-Domenico

Glad to see you come back, and you din't give up with the driver.

If you still agree i am ready to test that version with removable disk.

Just cross my fingers.

Alain Tox

then; just another quick question: at gigabyte's site; it says my mobo has "nVidia C51" controller; is this same as MCP51 or is it sth else?

Jupp, they're the same thing. C51 means it has integrated GeForce 61xx graphics and MCP51 is the main chipset. In other words, there's no working sata-driver for this motherboard as with all the other Nforce 4xx/5xx/6xx motherboards.

I want to install MacOSX on a SATA drive. The installer doesn't see my hdd. How can i integrate this kext into the distro dvd?

Well since both of them (HP nx6310 and DELL Inspiron 6400) are based on Intel CPU:s and chipsets these drivers won't do you no good.

Has anyone been able to install or Boot OSX86 on their SATA drive with a Nforce 550 chipset?

I have an Asus M2N-E socket AM2 motherboard and when I try to boot my hard drive I get a message saying "Waiting for root device"

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would I be able to use a Nforce 4 ktext to get my SATA to boot?