Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

I'll proceed with the first option (and this will really take much time), because i don't have :hysterical: to spend on a new mobo...
That's what I was going to say.

It's pretty difficult to debug OS X even if you can reproduce the problem at home (and I know since I tried), so just IMAGINE how difficult it is to debug the problem if you can't reproduce it at your home -- nearly impossible!

So you'd better buy a 410/430/MCP5*/whatever board for MeDevil (if he wants to, of course).

hey guys..i have weird problem after installing..

on first boot after i install,my sata works fine..i can see all my sata drives..

but on the next time i reboot,there's a messege that say i need to reinstall applenforceata.kext..

and my sata drives gone..but after i reinstall,it appear again..

and it happens all the time,everytime i reboot,my sata gone and have to reinstall and reboot again..

edit:

problem solve just need to delet the extensions kext..

Fix your permissions. I've had this happen to me, and its because the permissions were incorrect. When you drag/drop the file into the extensions folder, apparently OSX isn't smart enough to know to reset the permissions 0.o

OSX clears the cache just fine, but doesn't reset permissions. The bugger OS. It's smart, but not /that/ smart, apparently.

The patch wont work on JaS DVD, but check this post, a howto add a kext to your DVD: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry222574

Hi guys,

i just follow the "tutorial" to add the nforce4 rev3 kext to the JaS iso, i will post the ppf when it's done, but i've got a doubt.

Do i simply add the kext to the Extensions.mkext from the iso to made nforce 4 Sata Drive working on the installation of OSX ?

Don't need to create a pkg or add informations an another place ? (if yes where and how ? :D)

Also, is it normal that the new Extensions.mkext is see by OSX as an simple Document and not as a Unix Executable Files when i add it to the iso ?!

Thanks,

BlackSoul

Edited by BlackSoul

Hi guys,

i just follow the "tutorial" to add the nforce4 rev3 kext to the JaS iso, i will post the ppf when it's done, but i've got a doubt.

Do i simply add the kext to the Extensions.mkext from the iso to made nforce 4 Sata Drive working on the installation of OSX ?

Don't need to create a pkg or add informations an another place ? (if yes where and how ? :D)

Also, is it normal that the new Extensions.mkext is see by OSX as an simple Document and not as a Unix Executable Files when i add it to the iso ?!

Thanks,

BlackSoul

Ofcourse you will have to create a pkg for the driver and include it in the install or else you will only have nforce sata-support in the installation-program and the final os installation will be unbootable.

Edited by Pitr-

Ofcourse you will have to create a pkg for the driver and include it in the install or else you will only have nforce sata-support in the installation-program and the final os installation will be unbootable.

Thanks, it's good to know that :D,

Now i'm searching for how can i create and add a pkg to the installation.

EDiT:

It's okay, i've find what i have to do.

Edited by BlackSoul

Dou you have a USB mouse ?

Check this: [How To] Solutions for Keyboards, Trackpads & Mice

I have checked this before ...

But there is a problem, cause I can't type, not even @ Terminal...

So I can't type this :

PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse - disable 2 kexts as follows:

Boot your install DVD and go into the installer. Select Terminal in the Utilities menu and type:

CODE

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)" <--- use quotes if name has spaces

- but don't use parentheses

cd System/Library

rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

cd Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns

mv ApplePS2Trackpad.kext ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.bak

mv ApplePS2Mouse.kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext.bak

Quit Terminal and the Installer and Reboot without the DVD

Any other ideas ?

Is there any other option to go into terminal ?

Get a USB keyboard? :thumbsdown_anim:

Seriously, unless you're using an MB from 1990, there's no reason to be using PS2 keyboards these days. USB works just fine on any MB that's been out since 2002ish (maybe sooner).

Hi all,

Here is my PPF Patch (15 mo) for the JaS Rlz.

http://rapidshare.com/files/19452171/black...rceATA.rar.html

First you'll have to patch de Original JaS iso in this order with :

1) JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p.ppf

2) Defiant.diskutil.7.ppf

3) bikedude880.ichXr

Then you can Patch with NForce PPF. You should can install osx natively on a SATA nforce Drive.

If there is any problem, report it to me. I haven't tested it yet, but it shouldn't have any problems.

BlackSoul

Edited by BlackSoul

any news on mcp51 yet??

perhaps the BSD changelogs should point somewhere.. jus a hint

Hi. This is related to MCP51/55/Misc driver issue

1. I am new to Mac OSX86.

2. I have done the VMware route and got a working VM image runnning.

3. I am NOT a system programmer. I do not offer any solution to MCP51 issue.

Anyhow. I have a laptop with Geforce 6150/430MCP, aka the MCP51 issue.

1. I have looked at the Linux source code for NVIDIA SATA driver.

2. What I learned so far: NVIDIA has separate processing options for NF2, NF3, CK804, and the rest. (MCP51/55/misc for the newer chipsets)

3. You can see even inside NVIDIA sourcecode different items are declared with respect to the different hardware.

4. So my initial thinking is: the current old Apple NFORCE driver are for NF2/3/CK804. I believe nvidia change certain method how it access the device beginning with MCP51/55, and inside the source it even said revision to fix bugs due to enabling MCP51/55 support

5. I am unable to look at 10.4.x Darwin SATA source code since I dont have Apple ID ;)

is there a way to browse the source on the net?

Thank you.

Hi. This is related to MCP51/55/Misc driver issue

1. I am new to Mac OSX86.

2. I have done the VMware route and got a working VM image runnning.

3. I am NOT a system programmer. I do not offer any solution to MCP51 issue.

Anyhow. I have a laptop with Geforce 6150/430MCP, aka the MCP51 issue.

1. I have looked at the Linux source code for NVIDIA SATA driver.

2. What I learned so far: NVIDIA has separate processing options for NF2, NF3, CK804, and the rest. (MCP51/55/misc for the newer chipsets)

3. You can see even inside NVIDIA sourcecode different items are declared with respect to the different hardware.

4. So my initial thinking is: the current old Apple NFORCE driver are for NF2/3/CK804. I believe nvidia change certain method how it access the device beginning with MCP51/55, and inside the source it even said revision to fix bugs due to enabling MCP51/55 support

5. I am unable to look at 10.4.x Darwin SATA source code since I dont have Apple ID :)

is there a way to browse the source on the net?

Thank you.

Hy,

You can freely join for an Apple ID, I did. You just enter some basic info and that's it...

The you can browse all the sources....

On my Asus M2N32 SLi Deluxe (nForce 590) this driver work nice with ATA drives, also can see and acces to my SATA drive (added device info in kext)...

also i deleted viaata and appleonboadrdata kext - deleted from IOATA to...

regards!

Hi all,

Here is my PPF Patch (15 mo) for the JaS Rlz.

http://rapidshare.com/files/19452171/black...rceATA.rar.html

First you'll have to patch de Original JaS iso in this order with :

1) JaS.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSe2.SSe3.v1p.ppf

2) Defiant.diskutil.7.ppf

3) bikedude880.ichXr

Then you can Patch with NForce PPF. You should can install osx natively on a SATA nforce Drive.

If there is any problem, report it to me. I haven't tested it yet, but it shouldn't have any problems.

BlackSoul

First thanks for your effort in putting this together.

I did the thing exactly as you described, just that I had the already patched release (ppf1 + disk utility)

But the patch bikedude880.ichXr corrupted my iso. I tried to get it from different sources...

Then I tried to patch directly with your nForce patch... the same....corrupted iso. :D

I don't know what to do....

I did the patching with PPF O Matic 3

ok so i installed the AppleNforceATA.kext (rev3), i can see one of my sata drives and access it...however i am still getting the blocking error in my system.log. also i noticed that disk utility doesn't work. i am using an MSI K9N SLI with an AMD X2 4800.

i did install on a preinstalled Osx86 10.4.8 instead of patching the dvd image, but should that matter?

any ideas?

On my Asus M2N32 SLi Deluxe (nForce 590) this driver work nice with ATA drives, also can see and acces to my SATA drive (added device info in kext)...

also i deleted viaata and appleonboadrdata kext - deleted from IOATA to...

regards!

i ve the same mobo and i cant install osx 10.4.8 tubgirl in my sata driver but i can install in my ata

driver

i ve the same mobo and i cant install osx 10.4.8 tubgirl in my sata driver but i can install in my ata

driver

I see that we are 3 with the same motheboard...

Until now I found out:

- The nForce4 driver works with our SATA controller, still with some blocking errors, but it works!

- On that motherboard we have also another SATA controller, Silicon Image 3132

- Silicon released a driver for OS-X for that controller (Silicon Image 3132)

- Now, a question: How do you put this drivers on to the dvd image?

another question...

How do you install a .kext ?

I forst put it in the extensions folder (System/Librarz/Extensions/) and then to load with kextload but it alwazs complains about permissions. I changed them to the same permissions as other kext files, but no success... Any idea?

Edited by masterboi

First thanks for your effort in putting this together.

I did the thing exactly as you described, just that I had the already patched release (ppf1 + disk utility)

But the patch bikedude880.ichXr corrupted my iso. I tried to get it from different sources...

Then I tried to patch directly with your nForce patch... the same....corrupted iso. :(

I don't know what to do....

I did the patching with PPF O Matic 3

The problem must come from your first iso, that was already patched, maybe without the same system as i do. If you want, i can make a ppf without the bikedude ichXr modification.