Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

okay, so I will let the things CLEAR here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE! ALL MUST READ THAT BEFORE POST ANY DISPENSABLE QUESTION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until now (feb-5-2007) the nForce 410/430 (MCP51) IS NOT SUPPORTED with MeDevil kext. They only enable reading from the SATA HD on this chipset.

For all other nForce4 users, it seems to run 100% without errors. Works both reading and writing, so you can even boot using your SATA HD with these kext.

-------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know how to install it

-------------------------------------------------

You have 2 ways to do that:

1) USE VMWARE

This is the easiest way to get it working. Just get VMWare (if you already don't have - DEMO versions work too) and install macos using a virtual machine on VMWare that access your entire SATA disk. The installation must work. Then boot to OSX (still on VMWare) and then install the kext using MacOS. The way to install is the same:

Copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily/Contents/PlugIns

Open terminal and type:

sudo -s

(type your password and press ENTER)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

exit

exit

then reboot nativelly (without VMWare) and it should work.

2) TUBGIRL IMAGE

If you have a fast internet conection and a lot of patience, you can download the TubGirl patched OSX that have the MeDevil kext inside the iso (see previous posts). After downloading, just proceed as usual to install and boot. It should work correctly and detect you HD on instalation (if you have nForce4 - NOT MCP51)

that's it!

Greetings,

Thico Alves

Thank you! I'm reinstalling windows, going to download VMWARE, and hopefully set up MAC.

Edited by telarmago

Sorry guys, those weeks i was (i am) really busy with my girlfriend and my work.

I'm still trying to find a solution for you mcp5x/6x folks. But... it isn't simple...

Guess i have to rewrite the code from scratch and implement it directly from IOService, so no IOATAController bugs... (but this is a huge developement task).

Other solution, perhaps, is to have an mcp5x/6x mobo here and see what's going on with the current driver...

I'll proceed with the first option (and this will really take much time), because i don't have :D to spend on a new mobo...

Stay tuned on this forum (i'll also try to set up a website for this project soon).

Greetings,

Domenico.

MeDevil, BikeDude I respectfully demand that you guys set up a pledge at www.pledgie.com. That way we can donate with a goal in mind. Just set your price and we will all contribute. Please let us give back for your hard work. Thanks.

MeDevil, BikeDude I respectfully demand that you guys set up a pledge at www.pledgie.com. That way we can donate with a goal in mind. Just set your price and we will all contribute. Please let us give back for your hard work. Thanks.

MeDevil, I second this notion... i would love to get my HP DV9009nr laptop working.

When I run the patched tubgirl disc, it sees my SATA drives, but then when i go to erase them and convert them to extended, the erase fails and kills the partition information. I receive an error like "The task failed before the process ended" This usually happens, um, like 5 seconds into the process.

Overall, thanks to all the work MeDevil and BikeDude have done on this project thus far.

(Also, i am no programmer, but i do have a friend who works at NVidia in Cali, so if someone could tell me exactly what information they need on the 410/430 chipset to make it work, i could at least put in a request to find out this information)

;)

Hello!

Please somebody reply to my post!

I have AMD 64 3000+ , sata disk and nForce4 chipset...What OSX should I have ? That Tubgirl from. p.b. ?

How to install ? Will it work ?

Thx a lot on replying to my question ;)

Regards, mikko

Yeah, medevil...I also have been meaning to donate. I'll help out in anyway i can.

Hello!

Please somebody reply to my post!

I have AMD 64 3000+ , sata disk and nForce4 chipset...What OSX should I have ? That Tubgirl from. p.b. ?

How to install ? Will it work ?

Thx a lot on replying to my question :star_smile:

Regards, mikko

You just asked us to list out the entire steps for you....

Read earlier posts and read the genius bar tutorials.

Ok , gonna read it.

Just tell me please if tubgirl's image and sata + nforce4 is way to install it ?

Cause I don't have pata HDD...

Dude DL the Damn Tubgirl DVD iso

Get the ppf mentioned in this thread

Patch ISO

Burn ISO to DVD at 1x to 4x

Install

hey guys..i have weird problem after installing..

on first boot after i install,my sata works fine..i can see all my sata drives..

but on the next time i reboot,there's a messege that say i need to reinstall applenforceata.kext..

and my sata drives gone..but after i reinstall,it appear again..

and it happens all the time,everytime i reboot,my sata gone and have to reinstall and reboot again..

edit:

problem solve just need to delet the extensions kext..

Edited by skyywalker

file: AppleNForceATA.kext

This is what I get when I put it in /System/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x11 Vectors 0:23

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Started CPU 01

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Security auditing service present

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: BSM auditing present

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: disabled

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: From path: "uuid",

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting for boot volume with UUID 2391A43E-686E-3F5C-841B-B7259ECCDB55

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce CK 804 by medevil (CMD 0x170, CTR 0x374, IRQ 15, BM 0xffa8)

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce CK 804 by medevil (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xffa0)

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: FireWire (OHCI) TI ID 8023 PCI now active, GUID 0011d80000e57b00; max speed s400.FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1102 ID 4001 PCI now active, GUID 00023c0151016397; max speed s400.

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 53.254 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 53.255 AppleUSBEHCI[0x44b1000]: unable to obtain ownership: 0xe00002be

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 53.255 AppleUSBEHCI[0x44b1000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 53.258 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIMAppleVIAATADriver: VIA 8237 SATA (CMD 0x9c00, CTR 0x9880, IRQ 23, BM 0x9400)

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/ATA0@10/AppleVIAATARoot/PRI0@0/AppleVIAATADriver/ATADeviceNub@0/IOATABlockStorageDriver/IOATABlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/WDC WD740GD-00FLA0 Media/IOFDiskPartitionScheme/Untitled 1@1

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: BSD root: disk1s1, major 14, minor 7

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: USBF: 57.959 AppleUSBOHCI[0x441c000]::start OHCI controller will be unloaded across sleep

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Resetting IOCatalogue.

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: display: family specific matching fails

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2

Mar 1 23:02:18 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 3

Reads the sata drive ok but after awhile of read/write to the disk(mostly large files) I get this:

kernel[0]: IOATAController device blocking bus.

Any Ideas?

I tried to delete AppleVIAATA.kext and got the message: Waiting for root device.

Mobo: Asus P5N32-SE Deluxe

Chipset: NForce4 SLI x16

Mobo: Asus P5N32-SE Deluxe

Chipset: NForce4 SLI x16

Doesn't the P5N32 use the nforce 590-chipset? which btw is not supported as you should know. AppleVIAATA seems to be used instead and that's the reason for your blocking bus errors and the reason why you get waiting for root-device when you remove that driver.

Edited by Pitr-

Ill give you guys money for this also...

there are a lot of people who want to see drivers pop up here and there, but very little that are willing to contribute. Everyone needs to pitch in debugging / coding time for whoever has the knowledge to do so, and for the rest of you, patience...

I also have MCP51, and would be definitely willing to offer some time over the weekends on IRC or these forums to help debugging. I will try and stay up to date on this thread to help out, hope everything will turn out good.

thank you medevil and bikedude

omg i hope this works!!! I hate windows!!

Do I have to use Tubgirl's iso? I have jaS. I couldnt find Tubgirl's iso anywhere. Also How do I patch it? Is it just a package?

Edited by lnxmad

Ok People,

I'm going to request and hope accordingly that you reserve this thread for the development and progress of mcp 51

If you really want help in learning how to install the nforce kext...

please for god's sakes read the earlier posts.....

If you still have an error please make a thread about it and one of the members will help you out.

But anyway please reserve this for mcp51 development.

omg i hope this works!!! I hate windows!!

Do I have to use Tubgirl's iso? I have jaS. I couldnt find Tubgirl's iso anywhere. Also How do I patch it? Is it just a package?

The patch wont work on JaS DVD, but check this post, a howto add a kext to your DVD: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry222574

Well I got the Hardware id numbers. I jotted some things down:

10de&dev_0054&cc0101

and some other thing that said 10185 with a bunch of random stuff.

where do i get the ID from

Edit: I relized my ID is already in the info.plist. 0x005410de. This is very strange. Shouldnt it load up fine when I delete AppleVIAATA.kext?! I mean what is the problem here?

Edited by lnxmad

Sorry for asking this..But I have no idea.

I have downloaded tubgirl's image and burnt it.

When selecting the disk to install i couldn't see it. I went into disk utilite where i saw maxtor 200gb sata disk but couldn't click it.

Do I have to patch that image file ? How to patch it ? What to patch it with ?

Tnx for answering me!

Regards, mikko