Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Check out a few pages back for a PPF file link.

Phase 1. Get 'tubgirl' iso that is floating around out there on the :thumbsdown_anim: bay. Apply PPF patch to the ISO that you downloaded. Make new install dvd. See sata drives connected to nforce4 sata controller.

Phase 2. [holds hands up]

Phase 3. Profit

joneSi

Thanks, I know there's a PPF for tubgirl, but i've found the JaS image to be more up to date, and ppfs get released earlier. Inserting the kext into the DVD's extensions.mkext is fine, I just need to remove VIAATA.kext and insert NForceATA.kext into the install packages.

I talked to JaS on IRC yesterday, and he says there'll be a ppf once its stable for everyone, so get beta-testing guys! Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 + A8N-SLI works fine here btw.

edit: I've had issues running PPF Patcher on my 'Opteron-Mac' under os x. IDK what would cause this (even the java version is a little screwy for me). I'd try to do this under Xp/Vista...although that isn't any picnic either and can be VERY tempermental.

I use the Windows one under wine, i've never been able to get the mac version to work.

I hate to ask, but since I haven't heard any real status updates in a while, what is actually going on with this driver?

Oh, and before someone says something, I can't get on IRC at the moment, thank you.

I'm thinking of running a contest to give some incentive to our awesome devs :D

Edited by evanrodge

-------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know how to install it

-------------------------------------------------

You have 2 ways to do that:

1) USE VMWARE

2) TUBGIRL IMAGE

Okay, I have one question. Maim me of you must, but are these the only two options? What if we have a fully functional native install on a drive not big enough for VMWare to "read" (VMWare is limited to 126g, drive is 250g)?

I really don't know any advanced methods of VMWare to be able to modify a disk image directly. From the sounds of the instructions, you're just booting off an image on a disk that's used by the native install. But VMWare is limited to 126g for "physical partition" virtual images.

I have an NVIDIA nForce4 SLI board -- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe to be exact.

Edit: NM - You can just drag/drop it into the Extensions folder. That's what I did, rebooted and all my drives appear! Only one problem with one drive. "Program Files" isn't showing ... I know the directory is there, but it's not showing for some unknown reason.

Edited by guice

Okay, I have one question. Maim me of you must, but are these the only two options? What if we have a fully functional native install on a drive not big enough for VMWare to "read" (VMWare is limited to 126g, drive is 250g)?

I really don't know any advanced methods of VMWare to be able to modify a disk image directly. From the sounds of the instructions, you're just booting off an image on a disk that's used by the native install. But VMWare is limited to 126g for "physical partition" virtual images.

I have an NVIDIA nForce4 SLI board -- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe to be exact.

How did you manage to get a native install on a SATA drive in the first place?

If you have a PATA drive as well, a third way is to install to that, replace the AppleVIAATA.kext with AppleNForceATA.kext from this project, then use the excellent Clonetool to copy it to a SATA partition, et voila! A SATA boot volume. Its the exact way I used to copy my install over once the driver proved stable on my A8N-SLI.

Hi dude, it's me again! Well, I tested trying to reinstall and then after the first boot I used the DVD on VMWare again to install your kext. Well, again the same thing, it mounted my hard-disk and then hanged!! I now copied the messages:

ithe last 3 lines says:

Checking disk

Mounting local filesystems

HFS: created HFBT on MacOS

and then latter it just stopped! The hd's light inticator stayed blue (that means, reading! :rolleyes: ) but I keep that turned on for some hours and it was still on the same place, so for sure it has hanged.

I have a HP Pavilion DV6110 notebook with AMD Semprom 3400+ SSE3 and a nForce 410/430 controller detected on windows with Device ID of 0x026610de

I think that I will try again with your new driver build... should it work?

On an MSI K8N-NEO4 and I'm getting the same issue. Using patched 10.4.8 tubgirl, direct boot from DVD hangs on blue screen w/ cursor. I can install via vmware to the partition, then on boot it hangs on "created HFBT" indefinitely.

So close!

How did you manage to get a native install on a SATA drive in the first place?

If you have a PATA drive as well, a third way is to install to that, replace the AppleVIAATA.kext with AppleNForceATA.kext from this project, then use the excellent Clonetool to copy it to a SATA partition, et voila! A SATA boot volume. Its the exact way I used to copy my install over once the driver proved stable on my A8N-SLI.

The native install is on the PATA drive. And I just drag/dropped it within the extensions folder and it works flawless.

that is cool solution but i'm not shure that driver is working corect on ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.... did anybody knows?

i have also ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ~ everithing works perfect except SATA ~ i need help!

That's exactly the board I have and this works perfectly. Download the nforce4sata file from the link in the first post. Unzip it and just drop it into the System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Reboot and look at your SATA drives. :blink:

The ONLY problem I found, for some unknown reason, the "Program Files" folder on my D:\ isn't showing up. Everything else works though. No writing (I don't think?) but I don't need writing anyway.

Edited by guice

UDPATE: I got it to boot by moving my windows partition and creating the mac partition FIRST on the drive. Unfortunately, it looks like it booted in a really narrow resolution (800x1650?), and I had no input so I couldn't login, BUT

if you are having the created HFPT hangup, you might try the above.

Installation success!!!!! Woohoo!!! All running very smoothly, SATA drive detected, netowrk working, graphics flawless :D

Asus K8N-Sli Deluxe, Kingston value ram (1Gb), AMD X2 3800+, Asus 6200 LE Graphics card, 1 x PATA and 1 x SATA.

I'll now install on the SATA and see if there are any performance increases!!

Thanks guys.......

All,

I am running like nobodys beeswax on an Asus a8n-e opteron 170 and 250gb WD sataII drive...and it SCREAMS. I'm not quite sure how to set up a log file for error reporting. Any input on how to do this would be appreciated.

joneSi

Edited by joneSi

@ thunder.scripts - Unfortunately it ain't... cause the OS ain't detecting the SATA hdd...

@ everyone else - I know it sounds lame and stuff like that but how can i patch the JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1 image in order to be able to install the OS directly on the SATA hdd...

when i open the .iso file under windows all i see are a few small files and nothing else...

Edited by TheMask

@ thunder.scripts - Unfortunately it ain't... cause the OS ain't detecting the SATA hdd...

@ everyone else - I know it sounds lame and stuff like that but how can i patch the JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1 image in order to be able to install the OS directly on the SATA hdd...

when i open the .iso file under windows all i see are a few small files and nothing else...

You can patch the DVD to detect and install to a SATA drive, instructions linked to a couple of pages back, but there is no way currently to make the DVD installer copy the kext required to actually boot from a SATA drive.

The best way I have found is above, ie install to a PATA drive, copy the kext in, and then use CloneTool from artdog5.com to copy your installation to the SATA drive. If you do not have a PATA drive, buy one. I have not used a USB drive in lieu of a PATA drive, this may be possible but I cannot confirm it.

Hi!

The TubGirl PPF is working with my Asus A8N-Sli S-ATA drives. Since my PS2-keyboard doesn't work (dunno why, maybe someone with the same mainboard could help me), I need a JaS ppf! But he boots and everything, I installed natively.

onTecHno

Hi!

The TubGirl PPF is working with my Asus A8N-Sli S-ATA drives. Since my PS2-keyboard doesn't work (dunno why, maybe someone with the same mainboard could help me), I need a JaS ppf! But he boots and everything, I installed natively.

onTecHno

From my understanding, OSX doesn't understand PS2 at all. This is partially cause Mac has never had a PS2 port to read. Since the release of iMac, everything has been USB only.

Guest Snowski

Hi guys, great work on the driver!

Since there are a few here with ASUS A8N boards I would like to know if you guys have the restart function working (and how you fixed it). Mine just hangs on boot when I try to restart. There is a fix on wiki and a patch on the board but since some had a corrupted OS and could not boot into OSX anymore I want to make sure first.

Hope anyone can help. It's the issue I would like to have fixed on my OSX86.

Thx in advance

Again great job on the SATA drivers!

Ive got an interesting problem regarding SATA. check my sig for my hardware. But i tried to install the DVD to the drive and install went fine except at the welcome screen it wouldn't let me create the account stating "could not create single user account, please quit" when i quit it starts the welcome cube again.

now i tried carbon copy cloner and it hangs at the "Verifying DMI Pool....." screen in post.

I have tried installing XP to this drive and it either wont recognize the drive when rain is enabled in the BIOS or it wont install windows stating that its not a "recognized drive to install to". I have tried F6 via the motherboards tech support, and without F6. i have talked to both Wester Digital and MSI and neither has an answer. Both say to call the other one.

However, when the drive is left alone and i boot to my P-ATA drive with OSx86 installed it recognizes the drive, i can partition, erase, and even read and write data without loss!

any suggestions on this?

Edited by Brokencomp.com