Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Since there are a few here with ASUS A8N boards I would like to know if you guys have the restart function working (and how you fixed it).

Works for me and always had. I've never had to fix anything for restarting.

The /only/ problem I had with restarting in OSX is when I did an OSX restart, my system didn't recongize my USB hub upon boot -- thus not recongizing my keyboard. So, I had to move my keyboard to the USB ports behind my box. But other than that, everything has always worked in OSX.

Well, I take that back. OSX like to just randomly tell me that my SATA drivers are installed incorrectly, forcing me to clear the cache files, agian, and reboot. I would like to know how to stop that from happening. It seems to happen every time I boot into Windows and back to OSX.

Edited by guice

yaa guess its dead..

i am happy wid my IDE neways.. was jus hoping for faster disk rw speeds with SATA on my mcp51.

:thumbsdown_anim:

Works for me and always had. I've never had to fix anything for restarting.

The /only/ problem I had with restarting in OSX is when I did an OSX restart, my system didn't recongize my USB hub upon boot -- thus not recongizing my keyboard. So, I had to move my keyboard to the USB ports behind my box. But other than that, everything has always worked in OSX.

Well, I take that back. OSX like to just randomly tell me that my SATA drivers are installed incorrectly, forcing me to clear the cache files, agian, and reboot. I would like to know how to stop that from happening. It seems to happen every time I boot into Windows and back to OSX.

Asus a8n-e here and it doesn't restart. Sata is now working though :unsure:

joneSi

Good grief, folks. You proclaim the project as "dead" when there isn't an update in a week or two? Heavens people, relax. Give bikedude and MeDevil time. Do people think drivers are developed over night? Please cease from calling this project dead. :D BikeDude and MeDevil have, and probably still are, working at their own pace and when they do work, I'm sure they're diligent; it's not like someones handing them a paycheck every week to further development on the project.

i Tottaly agree with Plat Sajack!

Dont complain about the drivers be patient, Bikedude and Medevil, have a live too they work and study and have maybe little sparetime to write the drivers its their hobby not their work!!

greets from Holland :-)

Since I have so much free time, I decided to try and write a driver for the nForce series chipsets (nForce/nForce2/nForce3/nForce4) based on the AppleOnboardPCATA kext. This is only a test and I don't expect much to come out of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

MeDevil has successfully figured out the core problem behind the "Device blocking bus" error. ATA/SATA is recognized, drives are UDMA enabled, and will work with most chipsets after the correct device id is added to the plist file (there are already several id's in there.)

Download link

:hysterical: Great work, I finally had my nforce 4 sata driver work out! Now I can see my XP drives. :thumbsdown_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Say, I don't suppose anybody here has an odd issue where one folder of their NFTS drive isn't viewable? (not sure if others are like that). But, my problem is "D:\Program Files\" does not show up on my drive when I mount it within OSX, but its definitely there (fully viewable when I reboot into XP).

Anybody have any thoughts as to why this is happening? I can also say, too, that D:\ doesn't show a size in OSX nor can OSX see the capacity.

Could someone please tell me or point me in the right direction on how exactly to install this kext file? im pulling my hair out trying to figure this out, and ive searched everywhere.. I jumped into this knowing nothing and so far I can get it to boot in VM ware and find my windows drive.

Guest bikedude880
Good grief, folks. You proclaim the project as "dead" when there isn't an update in a week or two? Heavens people, relax. Give bikedude and MeDevil time. Do people think drivers are developed over night? Please cease from calling this project dead. :) BikeDude and MeDevil have, and probably still are, working at their own pace and when they do work, I'm sure they're diligent; it's not like someones handing them a paycheck every week to further development on the project.
i Tottaly agree with Plat Sajack!

Dont complain about the drivers be patient, Bikedude and Medevil, have a live too they work and study and have maybe little sparetime to write the drivers its their hobby not their work!!

greets from Holland :-)

THANK YOU both! It is correct that no one is handing either of us paychecks (who wants to?) School and work have been getting in the way and I really haven't been an active part of development for quite a while (might want to at some point...)

Death will be announced when the project is TRUELY dead (or everything works).

Still not sure why there isn't an x-Labs project for ATA/SATA drivers...

LOL, yeah, I don't think this project is even close to dead. If I had a better idea what I was doing, I'd help out.

Oh, right...bikedude and/or medevil if you need me to get you log files for the kext let me know. I don't quite remember how to do that through terminal commands, but IIRC that is a way it can be done.

joneSi

Guest bikedude880
LOL, yeah, I don't think this project is even close to dead. If I had a better idea what I was doing, I'd help out.

Oh, right...bikedude and/or medevil if you need me to get you log files for the kext let me know. I don't quite remember how to do that through terminal commands, but IIRC that is a way it can be done.

joneSi

/Applications/Utilities/Console.app OR (fill in the blank for terminal command - dmesg > ~/Desktop/dmesg.txt)

Just curious bikedude, what amount of money would it take to make it worth your time to complete a driver for mcp51/55. Not trying to be sarcastic just serious. I'm thinking there are at least 100 of us who would benefit from this driver being completed. If each of us donated a little it would add up to a lot.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot, because I understand when you are busy that no amount of money is enough. But what would it take to help encourage you? When you figure out how much it would take, can you please set up a pledge at www.pledgie.com? It's made for open source donations and and feel good stuff. Then we can all donate with a goal in mind. Thanks for all you hard work thus far.

Edited by skeezicks

Say, I don't suppose anybody here has an odd issue where one folder of their NFTS drive isn't viewable? (not sure if others are like that). But, my problem is "D:\Program Files\" does not show up on my drive when I mount it within OSX, but its definitely there (fully viewable when I reboot into XP).

Anybody have any thoughts as to why this is happening? I can also say, too, that D:\ doesn't show a size in OSX nor can OSX see the capacity.

Remember that NTFS has issues even on a supported hardware like compresed files/folders.

I have absolutely no work around except to wait for this mcp 51/55 driver. So i'd gladly donate if it does help and your time permits it bikedude.

On the note...anyone know of any workaround for an Nforce mobo without PATA support?

I mean i've heard drivers work for conversion of PATA to SATA. But no one has given a solid answer.