[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

@Slice Like I said. AAPL;slot-name for iGPU is MANDATORY in macOS Ventura. Otherwise no GPU Tab in Activity Monitor!

Edited by 5T33Z0

1 hour ago, eSaF said:

Tried that didn't get the desired result.

@Slice - Could you please give an exact example of the Entry to induce Built-In. Thanks.

Look four posts up to the post by @aben

1 hour ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@Slice Like I said. AAPL;slot-name for iGPU is MANDATORY in macOS Ventura. Otherwise no GPU Tab in Activity Monitor!

It looks like Activity Monitor is not intended for iGPU.

• Like 4

Guest ricoc90
35 minutes ago, Slice said:

It looks like Activity Monitor is not intended for iGPU.

That indeed is the same conclusion I came to. However, when not defining the AAPL,slot-name for the iGPU it won't show the dGPU either. Might be per Apple's design as well though, but then it's a weird design lol.
Maybe @Cyberdevs can confirm this assuming that he still has access to the iMac 20.1?

On another note, I ordered a Z490 board which should arrive today. I want to see if it makes any difference in comparison to a 500 series motherboard (apart from the iGPU actually being able to output)

Edited by ricoc90

Guest ricoc90

I mean, fair point. However a google search leads me to posts about viewing GPU usage on genuine Macs and none of them show the GPU tab in their Activity monitor.
E.g. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/400360/0-gpu-usage-on-imac-2019-with-radeon-pro-560x-help

It seems like it is intended to be viewed through Window -> GPU History instead.

I don't understand why the tab DOES show up when the slot-name is being injected as it seems not per Apple's design allthough you might expect it is, why else would that tab exist in the first place? Might be SMbios-specific? E.g. Mac Pro's

Edited by ricoc90

Not sure if this helps, but real MacMini8,1 IORegistry doe not have AAPL,slot-name defined for IGPU.  It does have built-in = 00.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ricoc90 said:

Might be SMbios-specific? E.g. Mac Pro's

Is it possible to have GPU tab to be present under SMBIOS MacPro7,1?

1 hour ago, ricoc90 said:

I mean, fair point. However a google search leads me to posts about viewing GPU usage on genuine Macs and none of them show the GPU tab in their Activity monitor.
E.g. https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/400360/0-gpu-usage-on-imac-2019-with-radeon-pro-560x-help

It seems like it is intended to be viewed through Window -> GPU History instead.

And even with this, I can't see iGPU usage in GPU History under Headless Mode unless non-headless mode is used which increase booting time by double.

10 hours ago, 5T33Z0 said:

@FirstTimeCustomac Thanks. I never had that GPU Tab before using the empty framebuffer suggested by Dortania's Install guide.

You are welcome. But, I merely tested this based on information shared and what was already stated by @ricoc90  so the credit goes to him.

• Like 1

Looks to be the same place as B1 before avoidruntimedefrag worked -- past the OC initialisation and then quick messages until an ACPI Shutdown is called.

I can take a video if you'd like; unsure how else to record messages like that.

I did notice my real MBP rebooted about three times before showing the "About 10 minutes remaining..." message. Might be new firmware as well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Skyfallkavu said:

Looks to be the same place as B1 before avoidruntimedefrag worked -- past the OC initialisation and then quick messages until an ACPI Shutdown is called.

I can take a video if you'd like; unsure how else to record messages like that.

I did notice my real MBP rebooted about three times before showing the "About 10 minutes remaining..." message. Might be new firmware as well.

Yes please. You can also send the video in PM if you want.

don't update to beta 3...(for z3xx) ...same as beta 1 ...newly change to runtimedefrag needed? ...

btw, installed and works with no problem on my MP7,1

image.thumb.png.7bb3f624e13dd9cf7cfff83cca84e54e.png

Edited by D3v1L
  • Like 1