[pre-release] macOS Ventura

3,556 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

I don't know the reason, but I tested enable-metal on 2 rigs: 300 and 500 series with RX570/580 in Geekbench 4 and 5. I have improvement with around 7% on OpenGL and Metal.

Geekbench on +/-10% is not reliable at all... xD

image.thumb.png.df112870430812bded20ef7b74178d77.png

• Like 3

Guest 5T33Z0
13 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Guys, the saga continues! I understand that I can not use standalone IGPU from CometLake and I put a RX570 inside the case. I tried to use CometLake UHD 630 as headless IGPU (all CML and CFL framebuffers) but I can't get H264 acceleration, only HEVC. Anybody with CometLake CPU and 500 series mobo here? I need some help!

Reveal hidden contents

1.png

Which SMBIOS are you using?

6 hours ago, ricoc90 said:

As it's the default behaviour on genuine imac20,1. You can verify this by firing up Activity monitor and go to GPUs:

What the heck??!! GPU is not showing in Activity Monitor.:(

Spoiler

1199583919_Screenshot2022-07-04at05_57_51.png.ca13c24073b8cb27b760bfc7e30ae081.png

• Haha 1

Guest ricoc90
53 minutes ago, eSaF said:

What the heck??!! GPU is not showing in Activity Monitor.:(

That's weird. What is cmd+4 showing?

Guest ricoc90

@eSaF 
Your iGPU might not be showing up because it's using an empty framebuffer. You can verify this with Hackintool. Some framebuffers don't report the GPU name. it's purely cosmetic though (I'm using a framebuffer that's being reported as Mobile = no and GPU name = Intel UHD Graphics 630)

Your RX 580 might not be showing up because it's reported as Built-In. I have it explicitly set to Slot-1 in DeviceProperties. Again, that is purely cosmetic so I am not sure if that is what causes them not showing up in Activity Monitor

Edited by ricoc90

Ok I think I am making progress, this is what I have so far (attached) but I am assuming I have to do some patching to rectify KBL Unknown, as far as I understand it is just cosmetic but hey I got this far so I might as well dig some more and go deeper. :graduated:

Spoiler

87512912_Screenshot2022-07-04at08_54_21.png.cf87ba56f1d1cca0a7425db6b6fb5fab.png

• Like 2

Guest ricoc90
36 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Ok I think I am making progress, this is what I have so far (attached) but I am assuming I have to do some patching to rectify KBL Unknown, as far as I understand it is just cosmetic but hey I got this far so I might as well dig some more and go deeper. :graduated:

Indeed it is only cosmetic. If you do wish to have it reported as uhd 630 you’d need to fake its device id.

There's some information about it on an issue report at WhatEverGreen: 
https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/1905

His workaround (I would not call it a fix) is to use device-id 9B3E0000 which I confirmed does show the iGPU as uhd 630.

Edited by ricoc90
Added more info

8 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

Indeed it is only cosmetic. If you do wish to have it reported as uhd 630 you’d need to fake it’s device id

I think I am getting bogged down a little, can you post a screen shot of your Device Properties pertaining to the Entries so that I can make a comparison to what I have achieved so far? I would appreciate that very much. Thanks.

Guest ricoc90
1 hour ago, eSaF said:

I think I am getting bogged down a little, can you post a screen shot of your Device Properties pertaining to the Entries so that I can make a comparison to what I have achieved so far? I would appreciate that very much. Thanks.

Sure!

RX 580:

Spoiler

14233068_Schermafbeelding2022-07-04om10_34_32.thumb.png.e1291ed125e52eb54c290779d9d8126b.png

UHD 630:

Spoiler

797139004_Schermafbeelding2022-07-04om10_36_01.thumb.png.48cfec31283bfc3df0d5a79eb33195e5.png

Edit:
I forgot to mention that in order for the iGPU to show up, you'd need to define a slot-name as well. I had removed it from mine

Edited by ricoc90

Ok I think I've reached the desired effect (attached). Have to give big thanks to @vit9696 for pointing to the link detailing how it's done, @ricoc90 for making it all understandable. All I need is to do a clean up of the Device Properties and keep what I think is necessary and I am done. :thumbsup_anim:

Spoiler

1164212353_Screenshot2022-07-04at10_02_17.png.64bd1f3d07fdbb9eb1c489a520107f49.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PMheart said:

To AMD users: Is your CPU brand string patch broken by using the latest version of Lilu and RestrictEvents from the master branch? In other words, can you reproduce https://github.com/acidanthera/bugtracker/issues/2065?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

When / if I get Ventura to actually install and run I will let you know. 

• Like 2

@ricoc90

Sorry, I did a search to find the original poster referring to metalgpu without success. 

@eSaF

I don’t have dGPU in activity monitor, because it’s built-in, as yours was. 
Now I’ve learned a new thing, thanks to @ricoc90, to put dGPU in slot 1 to see it as a GPU process. It’s cosmetic, I also think so, but it’s interesting how OpenCore (and Clover on the other side) can set a lot of options in our hacks. 
AboutKBL unknown, think that real Macs don’t have such specific model of iGPU, it’s going to work as expected but the exact model name is not well detected. Doing device-id spoofing (thanks again @ricoc90) you can change this behavior but it’s cosmetic. Although it looks nicer right?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Although it looks nicer right?

Yes it sure does!!!!! and I like the look even though it is Cosmetic.

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Guest ricoc90
1 minute ago, eSaF said:

Yes it sure does!!!!! and I like the look even though it is Cosmetic.

Mind to share Screenshots of its Device Properties? :)

6 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

Mind to share Screenshots of its Device Properties? :)

No problem - Note still in the realms of a clean up but the important bits are there. 

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 10.45.22.png

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 10.44.42.png

• Like 1

Guest ricoc90

@eSaF How did you manage to get it being reported as being "built in"? I have to fake its device ID, but then it's location is labeled as "Slot-0" rather than "Built In" which I assumed made sense, since I was adding it to the PCI devices, but yours is being reported as Built In so I'm confused 😆

Edited by ricoc90

@ricoc90 - Even though the KBL Unknown is displayed, it is purely superficial and does not impede or impact performance, here is a link that explains it all (below). The reading can be a bit heavy, just scroll done to 'UHD Graphics 630 (Headless)' section for the important bit.

Here is the link - https://github.com/MohdIsmailMatAsin/i510400AsrockB460MSteelLegend/blob/main/README.md#uhd-graphics-630-headless-mode - Happy reading.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

How did you manage to get it being reported as being "built in"?

I used Hackintool to determined all Devices correctly in the PCIe tab, the link I posted above explains it all. I copied all the Device Properties generated by Hackintool into my config.plist as they appeared exactly.

PS - I didn't rename the Slots whereas maybe you did, I just left it as default as generated by Hackintool (see attached)

Spoiler

1048864298_Screenshot2022-07-04at11_16_44.thumb.png.e1571379b271b7dd766610e8e7edbb2d.png

Edited by eSaF

4 minutes ago, ricoc90 said:

I know, that is what I had linked you before. Going that route shows my iGPU being in "slot 0", but yours is being shown as being Built In so I wonder why that is

@eSaF has AAPL-slot-name=Internal@0.1.0/0.0.

• Like 2

Guest ricoc90

@eSaF I think you don't know what I mean. In the mentioned link, the author added a screenshot of their GPU History window. You can see in that window that it shows their iGPU as being in slot 0:

Spoiler

1725521099_Schermafbeelding2022-07-04om12_15_59.png.e00f4fa6211c83841a7fad79625aa61b.png

Which correspondents with the results I have. However, on your screenshot your iGPU is being reported as Built In.
I mean it's just cosmetic, so it doesn't really matter but I'm just wondering why that is. :)

6 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@eSaF has AAPL-slot-name=Internal@0.1.0/0.0

So do I, yet it still is being reported as "Slot 0"

Edited by ricoc90