[Release] macOS Big Sur 11.5

Allan

33 posts in this topic

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 15.34.14.png

Detais:

macOS Big Sur 11.5 includes the following improvements for your Mac:
    •    Podcasts Library tab allows you to choose to see all shows or only followed shows

This release also fixes the following issues:
    •    Music may not update play count and last played date in your library
    •    Smart cards may not work when logging into Mac computers with the M1 chip

For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I thought the updates were just what has changed i.e combo updates like OS X

but looks like a whole system upgrade going by its size,

witch would be idiotic if the only change was 1 byte :hysterical:

Edited by STLVNUB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

macOS 11.5 still works OK on my >10 years old legacy machines eg

Spoiler

740475932_BigSur11.5_20G71onGAP55aUD3.thumb.png.6caecb99fdd3e2260a523d57d337334d.png857345458_BigSur11.5_20G71updateonGAP55aUD3aftergraphicspatching.thumb.png.be5844ceaf98556d8ae96d89733c92db.png

Link to Big Sur 11.5_20G71 InstallAssistant/full installer from Apple's software catalog.

Notes

• Both my legacy desktop and laptop are now able to reliably boot macOS 11.5 with latebloom.kext - try it if you notice random boot hangs/hardware failures on old machines (pre 2012) when enumerating the PCI bus.
  • OpenCore Legacy Patcher ver 0.2.3 now has a nice GUI front end to patch system volume.  Non metal graphics acceleration patches still working for nVidia Tesla (eg GeForce 8600GT) and AMD Terascale 2 (eg ATI HD 5770).
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 7/23/2021 at 12:57 PM, Slice said:

It is wrong SMBIOS patch. Look your bootloader log.

In fact it was very strange : I shutdown the pc , swap the 2 8 Gb stick .. and voilà , the Bios sees 16Gb et MacOS too.

Was able to update by creating a usb stick installer. Update downloads and goes through the motion of installing, says it's installing with countdown, restarts and still at 11.4.  Had to do the same for 11.4 as well. Any ideas why?

Edited by pet1

I downloaded the update but I can't install it, I'm in clover 5137, and added -lilubetaall to my boot arguments but the update starts and then reboots to install macOS Big Sur from reboot and stays in a loop...

The update never progress stays in the same place...

Is necessary to add new boot arguments?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, MorenoAv said:

Thanks for your suggestion @LIMITANT, but it didn't work .... yet...

Check Misc/ SecureBootModel in config.plist and make sure it is set to Disabled also Disable TPM in BIOS until installation, worked for me to get over boot loop. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest I really wasn't going to be bothered with this latest version of BS as the release of Monterey is not too far away (hopefully) but with nothing better to do I decided to go ahead and do a clean install with a nightly release of OC (living on the edge as usual). Must say install was trouble free from start to finish.

Spoiler

317125539_ScreenShot2021-07-26at23_18_25.png.95e3af01ce80ad32b199b512122d665b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MorenoAv said:

Thanks for your suggestion @LIMITANT, but it didn't work .... yet...

I had the same issue. But I'm using OC 0.72. Would get caught in a reboot loop on the third restart of the update.  It managed to fix itself somehow.  I rebooted into 11.5 recovery and reinstalled 11.5 over the messed up 11.5.1 and strangely enough was updated to 11.5.1!

Reboot into recovery 11.5 and reinstall over the same drive.

Edited by pet1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 5:01 PM, pet1 said:

I had the same issue. But I'm using OC 0.72. Would get caught in a reboot loop on the third restart of the update.  It managed to fix itself somehow.  I rebooted into 11.5 recovery and reinstalled 11.5 over the messed up 11.5.1 and strangely enough was updated to 11.5.1!

Reboot into recovery 11.5 and reinstall over the same drive.

For whatever reason, 11.5.1 would not show up in software updates no matter what.  I tried the suggestion of reinstalling macOS in recovery mode and it updated to 11.5.1.  It took significantly longer to install using this process but otherwise, it worked perfectly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...