[Release] macOS Big Sur 11.5

Allan

33 posts in this topic

I don't know.  This is running on a Windows machine in the typical VMWare  modified setup.  FWIW, I started on Catalina and it updated to High Sierra.  According to the info page my Boot Volume is macOS High Sierra.  I know that's not the same as the bootloader.

2 hours ago, Hervé said:

It's not a simple matter of SIP being set to an appropriate value, the SMBIOS must also be that of a supported platform. For the rest, it's quite confusing given that:

1. you run a VM, therefore your computer is not a Hackintosh (which is a PC natively running OS X/macOS)
  2. you stated you upgraded from Catalina to High Sierra, which is rather peculiar to say the least...

-> Check the Mac model your emulate/opted for in your VM. Of course, you have access to Internet in your VM, right?

I am a thundering buffalo of ignorance :)  I guess I thought anything running MacOS on non apple hardware was a hackintosh.  lol.  As far as upgrades, I admit I am in the mindless drones of Windows users - must upgrade (insert deer in headlights look).

Yeah, I have internet - it's just that I really don't know what you mean when you say "peculiar" - actually, now I understand.  BF on my part.I went from HR to Catalina (all well) then Apple upgraded me to Big Sur, and it turned the VM into a pig.  Hence my interest in getting to the latest release of Big Sur to see if it helps.  This time, I backed up my VM.  Fool me once, shame on you... 

The part that I don't get - i'm running 11.0.1.  Why would the s/w update not detect the new version?  Am I in apple land?

Edited by cgilley

20 hours ago, cgilley said:

I am a thundering buffalo of ignorance :)  I guess I thought anything running MacOS on non apple hardware was a hackintosh.  lol.  As far as upgrades, I admit I am in the mindless drones of Windows users - must upgrade (insert deer in headlights look).

Yeah, I have internet - it's just that I really don't know what you mean when you say "peculiar" - actually, now I understand.  BF on my part.I went from HR to Catalina (all well) then Apple upgraded me to Big Sur, and it turned the VM into a pig.  Hence my interest in getting to the latest release of Big Sur to see if it helps.  This time, I backed up my VM.  Fool me once, shame on you... 

The part that I don't get - i'm running 11.0.1.  Why would the s/w update not detect the new version?  Am I in apple land?

I don't know but SheepShaver is also restricted in MacOS version.