AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,856 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, hackinbot said:

Uninstalled iStat and HWMonitor. I never added any monitoring Kexts. Cold reboot. Found out that the Nitro+ series of video cards have 2 BIOS's which are selected using a dip switch on the card. Switched it over to the "quiet" BIOS position. Here's the results:

"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=337
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=1750
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=48

The memory clock is always 1750. I'll install Win10 on the hack this weekend to see if this is a software or hardware issue.

Can you check if your monitor is running at the same refresh rate? Try disconnect one monitor and see how it does. :D

Edited by larabee

2 hours ago, larabee said:

Can you check if your monitor is running at the same refresh rate? Try disconnect one monitor and see how it does. :D

You got it!

DisplayPort + HDMI = 1750 MHz locked

DisplayPort + DisplayPort = 1750 MHz locked

DisplayPort only = 300 - 1000 MHz variable

HDMI only = 300 - 1000 MHz variable

I guess this is expected behaviour?

1 minute ago, hackinbot said:

You got it!

DisplayPort + HDMI = 1750 MHz locked

DisplayPort + DisplayPort = 1750 MHz locked

DisplayPort only = 300 - 1000 MHz variable

HDMI only = 300 - 1000 MHz variable

I guess this is expected behaviour?

Yes it is to be expected with current Bios. I saw the same thing happen in windows, with some drivers, the clock even stuck when using single monitor setup. I'm glad we have more stable driver with Mac. 

Double check the refresh rate of those monitor too, sometimes if the 2 monitors running at different refresh rate, the mem clock will rise a lot. 

16 minutes ago, larabee said:

Yes it is to be expected with current Bios. I saw the same thing happen in windows, with some drivers, the clock even stuck when using single monitor setup. I'm glad we have more stable driver with Mac. 

Double check the refresh rate of those monitor too, sometimes if the 2 monitors running at different refresh rate, the mem clock will rise a lot. 

Ah ok. Seems like some wonky stuff with these cards and multi-monitor setups I guess: https://community.amd.com/thread/231927

Both my displays are running at 60Hz. One is 2560x1440, the other is 1920x1080.

The 1080 monitor only has DVI/VGA inputs. I was using an HDMI>DVI adapter with the RX580. Out of curiosity I just tried direct DVI -> DVI now and it works! Nice... one less adapter to deal with.

Thanks for helping to troubleshoot!

@larabee Hey bro I hope your good?

I just got 2x Sapphire Nitro+ Vega56 SE's given to me so I thought I would swap my Vega56 Pulse over to the Nitro+ as its a free upgrade with a little bit more grunt.

I have to set to GUI Res now manually and have to have CSM Mode enabled to get a decent Res at the Clover Bootup, Ive currently got it in Mode5 (1080p) but there's a mode 6  ( [06]: 120x50 ) and I can't work out what the resolution for 120x50 actually is. Any ideas Buddy????

Or if anybody reading this knows the answer then please do let me know? :) 

Edited by AudioGod

Hello to everybody! 

I came to post about an issue I have with location services, it seems they are not working :/ My WiFi is enabled though, but reading the thread I noticed that I'm also experiencing the same "issue?" with my RX580, I'm not really sure if it is an issue though:

image.png.994b40d51b4c3e0da77e1256d57bdee9.png

My setup has 3 monitors, two of them are 2560x1080 and the other is 1080p (1920x1080), is that normal?

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, panosru said:

Hello to everybody! 

I came to post about an issue I have with location services, it seems they are not working :/ My WiFi is enabled though, but reading the thread I noticed that I'm also experiencing the same "issue?" with my RX580, I'm not really sure if it is an issue though:

My setup has 3 monitors, two of them are 2560x1080 and the other is 1080p (1920x1080), is that normal?

Thanks!

Bro if you have windows installed then check to see if it's happening on that side too.

@AudioGod I do not have Windows installed :/ is there any other option? 

Also, I guess you are referring to the graphics card issue, about the location services, do they work for you?

image.thumb.png.cf58f0d8f2d7621b0fa52b233990a7a0.png

8 minutes ago, panosru said:

@AudioGod I do not have Windows installed :/ is there any other option? 

Also, I guess you are referring to the graphics card issue, about the location services, do they work for you?

image.thumb.png.cf58f0d8f2d7621b0fa52b233990a7a0.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c7

Yes i was talking about the gpu.

It seems to be a common hardware problem for a lot of people on macos and windows too.

Il double check my location services when I finish working later for you but last time I checked it was working fine.  

Update - I just checked my ipad and its seeing my hack at my house and showing the location so it must be working fine otherwise it wouldnt know where the hack was on my ipad

Edited by AudioGod

@AudioGod Well as long as I'm able to render my projects and play WoW I don't care at all if it draws 100W constantly :P

If there will be a fix for that, by all means, is welcome, till then I'm willing to provide any tests if necessary to contribute to the solving of that problem.

Last time I checked location services, to be honest, was quite a while ago since then I changed my EFI dozen of times, so I'm unable to tell when it stopped working.

The WiFi card I'm using is PCI Express TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300

UPDATE:

From a bit of digging, I found that comment here, that may actually be the case, although I can't see the refresh rate of my 3rd monitor:

image.thumb.png.35ba60a2b6f8fd295f3dddd18a73fcb9.png

UPDATE2:

Regarding location services, my settings seem to be fine:

image.png.5e4dca893cf429fd959d177ba6b90a3b.png

image.png.f62421093916e5d45125f137f0671a01.png

image.png.9ffda29f373340928bf44d5ff13afc22.png

I tried to disable Ethernet just in case, but still, Location Services were not available :/

UPDATE3:

I forgot to mention an incident I had a couple of days ago, I'm not sure if that could be somehow related to my current issue because as I said I haven't checked location services for quite a while now. I had some issues with my previous UPS, when I was playing WoW or doing something GPU intensive for a while, my UPS wasn't powerful enough to support my computer, so I unplugged my computer from the UPS and plugged 2 of my monitors to it, I left the house and went out to buy another UPS more powerfull but I was out for about the whole day. When I returned home I plugged to my new UPS my computer and one of my three monitors and then I tried to boot but I got the stop symbol on boot, I checked my BIOS settings and it seems they where rest, I then set the settings back as they were and booted normally. I didn't have a KP for a while now and everything seemed to be stable, until yesterday while I was playing all my monitors turned off but my computer was working, also my sound stuck and made a continuous loop of the last second, for me it was a freeze, not a KP, so I pressed the power button (I tried reset button but it didn't work for some reason, although it works fine, I checked it afterwards), I turned off my computer and then booted again, I played again for a few hours and everything was ok, I'm not sure why that happened, but I'm throwing it here just in case.

Edited by panosru

33 minutes ago, panosru said:

@AudioGod Well as long as I'm able to render my projects and play WoW I don't care at all if it draws 100W constantly :P

If there will be a fix for that, by all means, is welcome, till then I'm willing to provide any tests if necessary to contribute to the solving of that problem.

Last time I checked location services, to be honest, was quite a while ago since then I changed my EFI dozen of times, so I'm unable to tell when it stopped working.

The WiFi card I'm using is PCI Express TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300

UPDATE:

From a bit of digging, I found that comment here, that may actually be the case, although I can't see the refresh rate of my 3rd monitor:

image.thumb.png.35ba60a2b6f8fd295f3dddd18a73fcb9.png

UPDATE2:

Regarding location services, my settings seem to be fine:

image.png.5e4dca893cf429fd959d177ba6b90a3b.png

image.png.f62421093916e5d45125f137f0671a01.png

image.png.9ffda29f373340928bf44d5ff13afc22.png

I tried to disable Ethernet just in case, but still, Location Services kwere not available :/

Check that you havnt got loads of instances of your hack showing in your devices in icloud and if you do then remove them all leaving just your current hack but if you dont then you can try redoing your info using glasgoods iMessage fix guide. I would say at a guess it's one of them two things causing your locations not to work. 

For your gpu problem drop down to a single monitor and test if it stay stuck and if that works try again with two monitors (both using the same res) and see if that works.

one other thing for your network that I almost forgot to say, go into your bios and make sure wake for network is enabled.

Edited by AudioGod

@AudioGod I indeed had many instances in my iCloud account, I removed all the unnecessary devices and I left my Hackintosh and my MacBook. I then rebooted just in case, but it did not solve the problem.

I then followed again glasgood's imessage fix, reboot -> nothing...

I enabled wake on LAN, booted in the system, and still location services are dead :(

UPDATE:

For my GPU:

Display 1:

display-1.png.3d513f743006b8e7ee2659529f1d2287.png

Display 1 + 2 (exactly the same displays):

1702155957_display-12.png.79cf816089b9408c840caa256628e82a.png

Display 1 + 3 (different displays):

2116559085_display-13.png.743377d6c59202b1e8d4175d2b5f434a.png

UPDATE2:

I just realised also that my WiFi is only able to connect to 5GHz WiFi signals, any 2.4GHz signal, although it is detected, it cannot connect to it, I'm entering the correct password and it still does not accept it. I tried with my phone's hotspot as well. That may be the source of the problem for the Location Services too, I guess that has something to do with the AirportBrcmFixup kext (I'm using v2.0.3)

UPDATE3:

I removed TP-Link Archer 26E and installed a spare card I have. I am able to connect to 2.4GHz WiFi network now, but Location Services are still dead. I also checked with previous EFI's surprisingly enough it didn't work with them either, I can swear that it used to work though... I don't think that BIOS has something to do with it, I upgraded to F10 but I guess this shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by panosru

4 hours ago, AudioGod said:

@larabee Hey bro I hope your good?

I just got 2x Sapphire Nitro+ Vega56 SE's given to me so I thought I would swap my Vega56 Pulse over to the Nitro+ as its a free upgrade with a little bit more grunt.

I have to set to GUI Res now manually and have to have CSM Mode enabled to get a decent Res at the Clover Bootup, Ive currently got it in Mode5 (1080p) but there's a mode 6  ( [06]: 120x50 ) and I can't work out what the resolution for 120x50 actually is. Any ideas Buddy????

Or if anybody reading this knows the answer then please do let me know? :) 

I assume you mention the CONSOLE MODE next to the resolution... 

I'm not with my hack right now, but I remember there are a few of them: 

Mode 1: 80x25

Mode 2: 80x50

Mode 3: 100x31 

Mode 4: 128x30

Mode 6: 120x50

This affects resolution in Console Mode, not GUI mode. So, I think you can ignore this part (leave it blank) and set the resolution manually 

With Nitro+, you must enable CSM to set the boot resolution. It's just a part of the VBIOS that's different from the Pulse. Try check the Patch VBIOS in clover to see how it does.

3 hours ago, panosru said:

Hello to everybody! 

Thanks!

Make sure your monitors are running at the same refresh rate. My Radeon VII is driving 3 4K monitors are it's taking about 30W of power with memory clock stuck at 1150 Mhz at all time and GPU running around 300Mhz (numbers get from Radeon Wattman). So, I think it's an AMD thing then. Back in the day I still use the 1070ti from Nvidia, it consumed roughly the same amount of power. In your case, 100W is a bit high, especially with much fewer pixels to drive. I recommend you install windows and double check. My RX570 consumes less than 50W during idle and my RX570 (from iMac 5K 2017) does 5K + 2K screen at 35W. 

For Missing Location Services, try go to Settings> Protection and Security> Privacy make sure it's checked, then uncheck and check it again. It's a known bug with Mojave on some real Mac. 

Does Hand-Offs work for your hack? 

Only native wifi card enables the location service. What chipset does your wifi card use?

So after some more digging, I switched back to TP-Link Archer T6E, the BCM943602CS didn't work so well for me.

I figured that when I'm connected to a WiFi network Location services are not working, I deleted all known networks from my WiFi interface and Location Services work again. The same thing happened with BCM943602CS, but after a few reboots while I was testing my Archer T6E and BCM943602CS, location services stopped work at all with BCM943602CS, also bluetooth module on BCM943602CS didn't work for me.

Now I have my T6E on without connecting to any network and location services are working fine. It doesn't bother me since I'm using Ethernet either way.

Regarding GPU, two of my monitors are 60Hz and one is 75Hz, I'm unable to change the refresh rate in the settings for the two of my monitors :(

2 monitors: https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-25um58-p-led-monitor-25-25um58pus/

1 monitor: https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-e2251t-bn-led-monitor-full-hd-1080p-21-5/

Both 25UM58-P have a resolution of 2560 x 1080 at 75Hz but for some reason, macOS set them to 60Hz:

image.thumb.png.df815d61ad31d8a702ee5aaa0a721db6.png

I selected scaled just so you can see the resolution set.

It only allows me to change refresh rate between 50Hz and 60Hz when I set the resolution to 1080p/i 

image.png.bdb453c2a393599a5868dcb5023c027e.png

Edited by panosru

43 minutes ago, larabee said:

I assume you mention the CONSOLE MODE next to the resolution... 

I'm not with my hack right now, but I remember there are a few of them: 

Mode 1: 80x25

Mode 2: 80x50

Mode 3: 100x31 

Mode 4: 128x30

Mode 6: 120x50

This affects resolution in Console Mode, not GUI mode. So, I think you can ignore this part (leave it blank) and set the resolution manually 

With Nitro+, you must enable CSM to set the boot resolution. It's just a part of the VBIOS that's different from the Pulse. Try check the Patch VBIOS in clover to see how it does.

Yes that’s the one bro, it’s all good I worked it out after I messaged you and I was going to tick the patch VBIOS but before I did I got the correct res I wanted so all good but I will give it a go anyway and see what happens :)

The nitro+ Se at stock with my Hack also with no OC on it is scoring the same as my pulse with an undervolt and my 9900k at 5ghz on all cores.....what I lovely result for free....lol...if you were in the uk and didn’t have a Radeon VII I would let you swap your pulse vega56 for the other nitro+, :)

1 minute ago, AudioGod said:

Yes that’s the one bro, it’s all good I worked it out after I messaged you and I was going to tick the patch VBIOS but before I did I got the correct res I wanted so all good but I will give it a go anyway and see what happens :)

The nitro+ Se at stock with my Hack also with no OC on it is scoring the same as my pulse with an undervolt and my 9900k at 5ghz on all cores.....what I lovely result for free....lol...if you were in the uk and didn’t have a Radeon VII I would let you swap your pulse vega56 for the other nitro+, :)

Lol, I love my VII even though it runs at 110C junction temperature all the time haha. Beating nvidia 2080 with ease. Bought it for cheap like 500 USD. 

22 minutes ago, panosru said:

So after some more digging, I switched back to TP-Link Archer T6E, the BCM943602CS didn't work so well for me.

I figured that when I'm connected to a WiFi network Location services are not working, I deleted all known networks from my WiFi interface and Location Services work again. The same thing happened with BCM943602CS, but after a few reboots while I was testing my Archer T6E and BCM943602CS, location services stopped work at all with BCM943602CS, also bluetooth module on BCM943602CS didn't work for me.

Now I have my T6E on without connecting to any network and location services are working fine. It doesn't bother me since I'm using Ethernet either way.

Regarding GPU, two of my monitors are 60Hz and one is 75Hz, I'm unable to change the refresh rate in the settings for the two of my monitors :(

2 monitors: https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-25um58-p-led-monitor-25-25um58pus/

1 monitor: https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-e2251t-bn-led-monitor-full-hd-1080p-21-5/

Both 25UM58-P have a resolution of 2560 x 1080 at 75Hz but for some reason, macOS set them to 60Hz:

I selected scaled just so you can see the resolution set.

It only allows me to change refresh rate between 50Hz and 60Hz when I set the resolution to 1080p/i 

@panosru what cables do you use for the 2 monitors? I highly recommend you get a spare hdd and install windows just to see what it does. AMD has some problems with multi monitor setup. 

My Asus ROG PG27UQ natives at 144hz but in my hack it runs at 143.9 Hz. 

@larabee

Monitor 1 Display Port -> HDMI Adapter

Monitor 2 HDMI

Monitor 3 HDMI -> VGA Adapter

I have bought an SSD from day 1 for windows, but I never used it and I kept it empty, I might install windows someday, but I highly doubt it. I'm ok with 60Hz, I will try to find a way to overclock the monitor somehow, there is a patch here, I tried it in my hack but it does not work, it works on real macs only I guess

btw, location services stopped working again :lol: go figure... nvm I won't spend any more time on that. :P

Edited by panosru

3 minutes ago, panosru said:

@larabee

Monitor 1 Display Port -> HDMI Adapter

Monitor 2 HDMI

Monitor 3 HDMI -> VGA Adapter

I have bought an SSD from day 1 for windows, but I never used it and I kept it empty, I might install windows someday, but I highly doubt it. I'm ok with 60Hz, I will try to find a way to overclock the monitor somehow, there is a patch here, I tried it in my hack but it does not work, it works on real macs only I guess

btw, location services stopped working again :lol: go figure... nvm I won't spend any more time on that. :P

With adapters, sometimes you won't get the full options. That's the problem here. 

About the location services, yeah , I will try to find more answers with that. Do you know what chipset your wifi card is using? 

@larabee seems like Broadcom

For the adapters, I understand that, but one of the displays (monitor 2) does not use any adapter.

I just tried to remove both the monitors that use adapters and leave only monitor 2 with HDMI connection, still, the refresh rate select menu was greyed out and locked on 60Hz.

I will try now the SwitchResX app

UPDATE:

SwitchResX didn't do the trick, so... never mind... 

Edited by panosru

1 hour ago, larabee said:

Try check the Patch VBIOS in clover to see how it does.

@larabee Do not attempt the vbios patch...hahahaha oh my days that completely borked my hack to the max, luckily I have my usb escape key or I would of been run big trouble....lol BIG NO NO

Edited by AudioGod

Good day!

Today I experienced twice an issue I described earlier, while I was playing WoW, my monitors suddenly turned off, the computer was still working, no sound came out of the speakers, the reset button did not work, I opened the case and saw that all fans on the GPU where properly running and the system from hardware perspective seem to work, but I had no monitors and no sound; thus I had to press and hold the power button and boot again. That happened to me a while ago while I was playing WoW and two times today, again, while I was playing WoW.

I'm attaching the logs I found in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports that might be related somehow... :/ 

World of Warcraft_2019-09-01-124845_Panagiotis-Hackintosh.cpu_resource.diag

WindowServer_2019-09-01-140155_Panagiotis-Hackintosh.wakeups_resource.diag

Just chiming in here.

My problem with the white screen freeze - it turns out the GPU card was using a custom mining BIOS which was undervolted, with lower core but more aggressive memory timings. That seems to have been causing the instability. 

The Nitro+ cards have dual bios - neat little things. Position1 is a quiet bios. Position2 is a more aggressive bios.

I was running the card with the Position2 bios, unaware it was flashed with a custom bios for mining. I installed Windows 10 and used GPU-Z to confirm the bios versions and then used ATIFlash to flash the factory stock bios back onto Position2.

Been running on the quiet factory bios for about 4 days now and it seems to be stable. Plex doesn't freeze. No KPs.

Regarding the memory clock frequency locked at max frequency all the time - that happens in Windows also when "connecting" more than 1 monitor. If you "connect" 2 monitors and turn one of them off, the memory clock is still maxed out. You have to disconnect all but 1 monitor. This appears to be a hardware bug with these cards.

In Windows, the power consumption with 2 displays (2560x1440, 1920x1080) is only around 30W. In MacOS it stays around 95W. Not sure which one's correct.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, hackinbot said:

In Windows, the power consumption with 2 displays (2560x1440, 1920x1080) is only around 30W. In MacOS it stays around 95W. Not sure which one's correct.

I say we trust the number in Radeon Wattman. The power draw should not exceed 30-45W on idle with multiple monitor setup. 

On 9/1/2019 at 4:28 AM, panosru said:

Good day!

Today I experienced twice an issue I described earlier, while I was playing WoW, my monitors suddenly turned off, the computer was still working, no sound came out of the speakers, the reset button did not work, I opened the case and saw that all fans on the GPU where properly running and the system from hardware perspective seem to work, but I had no monitors and no sound; thus I had to press and hold the power button and boot again. That happened to me a while ago while I was playing WoW and two times today, again, while I was playing WoW.

I'm attaching the logs I found in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports that might be related somehow... :/ 

I've had similar problems with Glasgood efi before but not while playing games. Can you double check what devices you are using while the problem happen? Also, can you put your rig config to your signature so people know what hardware you're running. 

On 9/1/2019 at 1:28 PM, panosru said:

Good day!

Don't know If can help, but I got a similar problem 2 times

One time in mac while doing nothing special, just plugging/unplugging audio jack cable

and one time in Windows while playing a game (Apex Legend If I'm not wrong)

Black monitors , and gpu fan at MAXIMUM Hyper speed !!

after reading around I found this video on youtube

that suggested to connect the gpu to 2 different (and distant) power cables!

I never thought this could be a solution, but I did it,

and I never got a shutdown / reboot problem!! :thumbsup_anim:

maybe and hope this help someone!!

cheers!