AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,858 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, eSaF said:

Normally this shows up when the machine cannot find the Mouse or Track Pad or Port they are attached to. I looked at your EFI Folder and checked it with OC validate and it is error free so I think something else is amiss. I noticed a USBMap.kext in the kext folder but you still have this in boot-args (see attached) is this necessary? Surely that should have been catered for in the kext.

Try removing that boot-arg, clean the NVRAM, reboot and see what result you get apart from that, I am out of ideas, maybe someone else can offered up something else. Good luck.

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 10.59.17 am.png

I'll try removing that boot-arg and clearing the NVRAM. That boot-arg is a holdover from my early attempts at setting up Clover, before using @AudioGod's EFI. Put it in there to exclude the built-in CNVi card which is useless to MacOS; not sure if it is needed, but since it didn't cause any problems in Clover, I left it alone. That USBMap.kext is not present in my Clover EFI. Don't have time to play with it now... need to get some rest  :)

• Like 1

Okay... I tried deleting the uia_exclude=HS14 boot-arg from my config.plist. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

However, after a good night's rest, I was able to see the obvious solution when that animated graphic telling me to turn on my pointing device popped up. I simply plugged in my old school trackball. It worked, but instead of getting to the log in screen, I found myself in recovery mode. Instead of booting from my regular OSX partition, it booted the recovery partition instead. I believe that the Startup Disc info is stored in NVRAM, so maybe resetting it will do the trick.

But I will have to procrastinate some more and do that later. I get nervous when I have to do something that can't be undone, so I make sure I have a full backup (aside from time machine) and block out enough time to recover if something goes horribly wrong. In the past, I have had many "routine" fixes, upgrades, maintenance cause me to spend hours repairing the damage. Anyway, are there any risks I should be aware of when resetting NVRAM? As long as I can fall back to my current Clover EFI, I'll be satisfied.

11 minutes ago, Project 2501 said:

... However, after a good night's rest, I was able to see the obvious solution when that animated graphic telling me to turn on my pointing device popped up. I simply plugged in my old school trackball. It worked, but instead of getting to the log in screen, I found myself in recovery mode. Instead of booting from my regular OSX partition, it booted the recovery partition instead. I believe that the Startup Disc info is stored in NVRAM, so maybe resetting it will do the trick...

Yes, you can clean NVRAM (press ResetNVRAM in the picker) without damage, but I think you must also go into BIOS menu and remove any OpenCore entry in the devices boot order section.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Project 2501 said:

I was able to see the obvious solution when that animated graphic telling me to turn on my pointing device popped up.

But I did tell you that in my initial post - 'Normally this shows up when the machine cannot find the Mouse or Track Pad or Port they are attached to' - so immediately you should have tried with a wired mouse (which you have now done with a wired track-ball device) and would have taken care of the machine searching for that connection. Anyway happy you solve that problem. As @miliuco reported cleaning the NVRAM will not harm or damage anything, just follow his recommendation and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, eSaF said:

But I did tell you that in my initial post - 'Normally this shows up when the machine cannot find the Mouse or Track Pad or Port they are attached to' - so immediately you should have tried with a wired mouse (which you have now done with a wired track-ball device) and would have taken care of the machine searching for that connection. Anyway happy you solve that problem. As @miliuco reported cleaning the NVRAM will not harm or damage anything, just follow his recommendation and you'll be fine.

You mentioned it, but I was so tired at the time, I didn't make the connection. Lack of sleep is scary!

• Haha 2

Well, I tried resetting NVRAM from the OC boot picker menu, but I ended up in the recovery partition again. The only possible oddity I notice is when I select the OSX drive, it restarts (POST beep) and then boots the recovery partition. I've been able to test drive Clover from a flash drive, but I've never tried it with OC, so I'm not sure this is normal behavior

Anyway, I'm going to take a break and stick with Clover for now. I'm mostly interested changing over to OpenCore since most people on this board have made the switch. I suspect if I have trouble with Clover in the future, I won't be able to get as much help.

Next I'll try @AudioGod's last posted OC EFI as is. If it works, I'll try updating it again.

2 hours ago, Project 2501 said:

I suspect if I have trouble with Clover in the future, I won't be able to get as much help.

Clover is still a very strong contender also @Slice and the other guys are on hand to give aid and advice.

• Like 1

For those who wants them - I have taken the liberty and updated AG's last committed OC EFI Folders and attached them here. Do not, I repeat DO NOT replace your working main Drive EFI Folder without testing them on a USB Stick as I don't want to be cussed out or criticised because you failed to apply critical thinking. All files, config.plist and kexts has been updated to the latest versions. If you choose to use any of the files, you'll have to tweak certain aspects like the GUI and Boot Chime if you have them enabled with your current setup and if they are missing from these revised EFI Folders.

I will say this again, I have not changed the format of the folders, that aspect remains unchanged, I just updated them to OC 0.7.7. that's all.

OC 0.7.7 19,1 Z390 Pro EFI.zip OC 0.7.7 1,1 Z390 Pro EFI.zip OC 0.7.7 19,1 Z390 Pro iGPU ONLY EFI.zip

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hello people! I have had an issue that is bothering me for a few days and I run out of ideas on where else should I look. My issue is with my audio, it seems that when I boot my computer, and I either play a movie or watch youtube or listen to Spotify, anything related to sound, I'm getting audio pauses for a moment, as the time goes by the pauses are becoming more often. I have tried to change audio drivers, restore a previous EFI, reset NVRAM, kill coreaudiod process and runningboardd (which uses too much CPU), I changed my audio interface (I tried my USB Focusrite solo, mobo sound, and two of my DisplayPort monitors that have built-in speakers), I also created a second user for testing, the issue remains no matter what I do.

This is the loaded kexts (non-Apple) in my system:

image.thumb.png.7add4a1cc4d550b4338c5044c2ffe871.png

I'm also attaching the latest OC debug dump, I'm one step before re-installing the OS :(

opencore-2022-02-06-194022.txt

Edited by panosru

On 2/7/2022 at 12:06 PM, eSaF said:

Thanks for updates. I tried using the OC 0.7.8 19,1 Z390 Pro EFI, with the following mods: 1. Added SSDT for the Titan Ridge TB3 card, 2. Deleted ...pikera boot-arg, and 3. Added my serial numbers. Again, it is booting off the recovery partition. At least it seems that I probably did not mess up my earlier manual update.

I not as familiar with Open Canopy as I am with Clover. In Clover I can get it to show the recovery partition separately, but in OC, it only shows the drive name. Pressing space gives me more options, but nothing seems to allow me to select individual partitions on a physical drive. Is there quick help key in OC? I tried pressing F1 like I would in Clover to get help, but nothing popped up... decided not to press too many random keys just in case 😃

Is anybody else here running OC with Mojave? I'm pretty sure that the original EFI was made with Big Sur in mind so maybe it's because I'm running something that wasn't tested.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Project 2501 said:

I not as familiar with Open Canopy as I am with Clover.

If Clover is your usual Boot loader and you're trying OC, you must clean the NVRAM before booting from OC.

17 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Have you set in UEFI / APFS like this?    ( MOJAVE )

MinDate =  20190820    MinVersion = 9452750070000000  

OR 

MinDate = -1     MinVersion = -1

Thanks Bro I was about to edit my post with that suggestion.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, antuneddu said:

Have you set in UEFI / APFS like this?    ( MOJAVE )

MinDate =  20190820    MinVersion = 9452750070000000  

OR 

MinDate = -1     MinVersion = -1

I forgot to mention that I changed mindate and minversion to the exact values instead of -1. However I'm not able to check if made a typo right now (not using that computer at this time), but since the the OSX drive is selectable, I think it is correct. The last time I forgot to change it, the drive did not show up in the boot picker at all.

I forgot the clear the NVRAM, but clearing it didn't help the last time... maybe it will work this time!

Edited: corrected my typo "type" to "typo" 😋

Edited by Project 2501
  • Like 1

Quick update: Double checked and my MinDate and MinVersion values are correct for Mojave (does it matter if I use exact values or -1?). Also, made sure to clear the NVRAM from bootpicker menu. Unfortunately, it still boots into recovery mode.

I tried selecting the startup drive from within recovery mode and restarting... no change in behavior.

I tried disabling SIP from the boot picker menu to see if OC+Mojave was finding some kind of fault with my installation and kicking me to recovery (wild speculation... don't know if it would actually do that)... again no change.

I'm going to recheck my BIOS settings next.

• Sad 1

@Project 2501 - Bro I have exactly the same board as you and I can boot Catalina, Mojave, BS and Monterey as well as Windows 11 Pro all on their respective drives with just one OC EFI Folder that resides on the EFI Partition of Monterey and I don't have any problems booting any of them so I don't understand what is happening on your machine.

24 minutes ago, eSaF said:

@Project 2501 - Bro I have exactly the same board as you and I can boot Catalina, Mojave, BS and Monterey as well as Windows 11 Pro all on their respective drives with just one OC EFI Folder that resides on the EFI Partition of Monterey and I don't have any problems booting any of them so I don't understand what is happening on your machine.

Yeah, I don't get it either. But I've been able to boot with test Clover EFIs on a flash drive; I'm assuming that I am totally bypassing the EFI on the main drive.

With OC on the flash drive, I still have a Clover EFI on the main drive, and as far as I know, it shouldn't matter. I don't want to just replace the main drive EFI without a successfully testing it on the flash drive.

I have backup of my Mojave installation on an external drive done with Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC doesn't clone the EFI, so maybe I'll try booting with that one to see if it makes a difference.

Here is another thing I noticed about my setup. When I use ESP Mounter Pro, my OSX drive (using the m.2 slot) is "untitled" even though the name is correct in  Finder and in command line. I don't know if this means there is something strange with my disc, or it is just a bug in ESP Mounter Pro. Disk Utility says my drive check out.

6 hours ago, antuneddu said:

Looking at the OC 0.7.8 19.1 Z390 Pro EFI on the fly I see that the SecureBootModel is set to Defalut change it to Disabled
In my case if I want to start Catalina I have to set it to Disabled otherwise Recovery is started

This solved the problem! :thumbsup_anim:   Thank you very much; it saved me from wasting time trying to boot from my external drive or combing through my BIOS settings!

I went back to check @AudioGod's original EFI from 4 OCT 2021, and SecureBootModel is set to Default, but it was only verified on Bug Sur. Add this to the list of things to do if you are pre-OSX11.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, eSaF said:

hi I am trying to install big sur getting stuck on failed to start image already started

help 0.7.9

config.plist

26 minutes ago, markl18 said:

hi I am trying to install big sur getting stuck on failed to start image already started

I dare say as you posted in this thread your board is either a Gigabyte Z390 Master or Pro, anyway I took a look at your config.plist and it is a complete mess (see attached). I suggest you compress your entire EFI Folder and upload it here so that someone can take a look and correct the entries for you. You also need to furnish your profile with your machine's spec so that your queries can be answered properly in future as at the moment we are in the dark about your equipment.

Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 9.27.59 pm.png

On 2/11/2022 at 4:39 PM, eSaF said:

I dare say as you posted in this thread your board is either a Gigabyte Z390 Master or Pro, anyway I took a look at your config.plist and it is a complete mess (see attached). I suggest you compress your entire EFI Folder and upload it here so that someone can take a look and correct the entries for you. You also need to furnish your profile with your machine's spec so that your queries can be answered properly in future as at the moment we are in the dark about your equipment.

Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 9.27.59 pm.png

most of the kernels trying to start the touchpad and efis were dictated by the install it keeped on telling me this or that was missing 

Edited by markl18
no space

12 minutes ago, markl18 said:

most of the kernels trying to start the touchpad and efis were dictated by the install it keeped on telling me this or that was missing

Sorry my friend, touchpads are not my thing plus if that is your platform, you've posted in the wrong Thread. You'll need to search around for similar platforms as yours for help.

P.S - I took a quick look at your EFI Folder and I wouldn't know where to start with it but I have to tell you it is a complete and utter mess. For a start read the Dortania OC Guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/ for guidance.

Edited by eSaF