AudioGod's Aorus Z390 Pro Patched DSDT Mini Guide and Discussion

AudioGod
5,858 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Do u think it’s possible that it’s looking for usb2 over usb c?

I used to use a usb c hub on my old Intel hack and all my devices worked but they were all true usb 3 not 2.0 using a type c connection.

@Alex1982 going by what you just said that does seem to be the case.

you have two options in that case, go past the 15port limit or change the USBMap and give usb2 as well as 3.0 to type-c.

I can Bosch up a new kext in a few mins to try if you want to do the later?

p.s and before you say the iPhone uses a type c usb 3.0 cable well I don’t think that’s ever been the case. It’s always been usb2.0 as far as I’m concerned. I even just checked just this second on my iPhone via windows and it’s showing usb2.0 speeds.

Yep I think your correct AG, just tested with my USB C hub, and USB 3 flash drives pugged into it are detected, but iPhone 12 via USB-C to lighning cable or USB-3 to lightning cable not detected. So I'd say it's looking for a USB-2  connection to the iPhone. Bloody Apple and their slow adoption of lasted standards! :)

Personally it doesn't bother me that much as I dont connect the phone to the hack that often & if  Ineed to  Ican use a normal usb-2 to lighning cable rather than USB-C. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimborae said:

Yep I think your correct AG, just tested with my USB C hub, and USB 3 flash drives pugged into it are detected, but iPhone 12 via USB-C to lighning cable or USB-3 to lightning cable not detected. So I'd say it's looking for a USB-2  connection to the iPhone. Bloody Apple and their slow adoption of lasted standards! :)

Personally it doesn't bother me that much as I dont connect the phone to the hack that often & if  Ineed to  Ican use a normal usb-2 to lighning cable rather than USB-C. 

Makes sense and yes cheap skate Apple, tut tut to them. I get it though as who uses a Mac or PC to backup a iPhone now days? The percentage must be tiny even including the folks that dump music and video into there phones so why change the controller? Same reason they have stuck with a lighting connection on the phone. Saves much money when there’s nothing to develop controller wise. 

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

Confirm. The USB C cable type really make sense. Seems like my USB C cable I used before(It is from Google Pixel 4 as far as I remember) was USB 2.0 only. Now I tried USB C hub supporting USB 3.0,HDMI etc. and the issue is gone with it, now all my USB 3.0 devices detected properly.

Edited by Alex1982
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alex1982 said:

Confirm. The USB C cable type really make sense. Seems like my USB C cable I used before(It is from Google Pixel 4 as far as I remember) was USB 2.0 only. Now I tried USB C hub supporting USB 3.0,HDMI etc. and the issue is gone with it, now all my USB 3.0 devices detected properly.

So Apple didn’t cheap out on the controller then? Awesome!, :hysterical:

15 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

Makes sense and yes cheap skate Apple, tut tut to them. I get it though as who uses a Mac or PC to backup a iPhone now days? The percentage must be tiny even including the folks that dump music and video into there phones so why change the controller? Same reason they have stuck with a lighting connection on the phone. Saves much money when there’s nothing to develop controller wise. 

I'm one of that tiny percentage, always have my own backup of some of my iphone's as well as one in the cloud. And yes my personal music collection is transfered to my iPhone by cable & Waltr app, cos iTunes is the fecking pits!!!

I still think that Apple cheaped out on the controller though & it only works for USB-2, my testing with a USB-C hub differs to Alex's I think. 

Edited by jimborae

1 hour ago, jimborae said:

I still think that Apple cheaped out on the controller though & it only works for USB-2, my testing with a USB-C hub differs to Alex's I think.

I don't test on USB C iPhone this time(there is no such at hand), so probably it is really USB 2.0 only

• Like 1

@AudioGod, Could you please clarify another question. In your original post there is suggestion: "If Your Not Using File Vault Then Please Disable Hibernate". Does this recommendation still actual? I don't using File Vault but keep hibernate setting on default values(hibernate mode 3 and standby delay 24h). I don't observe any issues with sleep/wake but want to make sure that I don't missing anything important. Thanks.

23 hours ago, jimborae said:

Yo AG. if they aren't, I am, & I think I've witnessed this behavior also, although it didn't register with me at the time. 

*Edit* Yep confirmed, none of the USB Type C ports do anything but. but charge. I have 2 USB Type C ports on my hack, one is the onboard port on the back and I also have another via a front panel add on that connects to the motherboard connector.  

Can I ask where you got the cable for the motherboard to front panel, all the ones I have seen are too small in length. And did you get the data transfer sorted.

8 hours ago, laxattack said:

USB-C does the same thing with a Pixel device in macOS that you guys are seeing with the iPhone, Charging but not data transfer.

Ths answers are already laid out as to why. I got to the bottom of the other 2 users and I bet it’s no different for you too. Read the messages to the conclusion and see if it’s the case for you. 

9 minutes ago, scotty pro said:

Can I ask where you got the cable for the motherboard to front panel, all the ones I have seen are too small in length. And did you get the data transfer sorted.

I don’t understand the question buddy, cable for what exactly? (There’s more then one)

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, AudioGod said:

I don’t understand the question buddy, cable for what exactly? (There’s more then one)

The cable from the Motherboard USB-C header to the front of the Case, all the ones I have seen are only 30-40cm which is too small for my Thermaltake Case.

1 hour ago, scotty pro said:

The cable from the Motherboard USB-C header to the front of the Case, all the ones I have seen are only 30-40cm which is too small for my Thermaltake Case.

A yes sorry I understand now. :) 

How strange, I’ve only ever seen one case before that didn’t have a usbc cable long enough and even then it fitted just but it was a stretch. Have you tried Amazon or eBay for a replacement or extension cable?

to anybody that could help me, specially @AudioGod that indeed is a god in this matters :-) 

Z390 PRO mb. I've been working with it around a year now, but didn't update a thing. Still on Catalina. Works like a charm except an usb random issue that happens just sometimes.

If I recall properly I have bios 11J (could it be?) it seems that now there's a new bios. 

I want to be careful in what I do as I don't want to mess up anything. My plan is to update everything step by step so I can go back and correct it if I go wrong.

Which steps should I follow to update my build?. I don't want to get stuck up with a non working build. Of course before doing anything I will backup my OS drive to be able to go back instead of anything goes bad, but it's the bios update / open core update altogether that scares me,

I have a few questions:

What do you recommend? 
BIOS & OPENCORE update (i will do it in a new USB drive just to be careful) and then -> OS UPDATE?

Or 

OS UPDATE (with older opencore and bios) and then -> BIOS & OPENCORE update? (I wonder if old opencore will work with BigSur)

- If I update the BIOS withouth updating opencore will the older OpenCore still boot?

- Will and updated bios and updated OpenCore Work with Catalina? 

Because I can go step by step.

Update Bios -> Boot in Catalina -> update OpenCore -> Boot in Catalina with new opencore -> Update Catalina

There's another path I can follow which is 

Update to BigSur -> Boot BigSur with older OpenCore and Bios -> Update OpenCore -> Update BIOS -> Boot again in BigSur with everything updated

But for this path to work I need to know if I can boot in BigSur with the older F11J bios and the older OpenCore, or is it mandatory to update the OpenCore and Bios FIRST so BigSur works?

10 hours ago, AudioGod said:

Ths answers are already laid out as to why. I got to the bottom of the other 2 users and I bet it’s no different for you too. Read the messages to the conclusion and see if it’s the case for you. 

Thanks for taking the time to look into it, and the others who tested things..

It was more of a general question from me, like others i don't think I ever use my phone plugged into my pc / mac, iCloud backups and restores, I just wondered if USB C didn't work at all and was expected or I had an isolated issue (I have no other USB C devices) using an older iPhone cable works if I really need to connect my phone to pc.

Thanks again

On 2/6/2021 at 7:29 AM, jimborae said:

I'm one of that tiny percentage, always have my own backup of some of my iphone's as well as one in the cloud. And yes my personal music collection is transfered to my iPhone by cable & Waltr app, cos iTunes is the fecking pits!!!

Me too. I always back up and sync my iPhone with the computer.

USB-C connector in the back works as data transfer at 10Gbps. Haven't tried connecting my phone via the USB C port in the back. I just connect to a USB 3 port on the case.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, AudioGod said:

Isn’t that a bit risky to do that?

If you flash your bios to a newer revision one day or have to clear your bios for some reason it’s gonna wipe out the nvram and your have no way of getting back into the drive all of a sudden, 

Surely it’s better left in there even if it’s dormant no?

You have a point. Not exactly sure how that will affect booting in case of a BIOS reset or update. I guess I will find out one day! I always have a USB thumb drive handy for emergency booting though.

And since OC folks are still arguing about HFSPLus.efi vs. OpenHFS.efi not sure whom to trust anyway :rofl:

Edited by pkdesign

On 2/6/2021 at 5:09 PM, Alex1982 said:

@AudioGod, Could you please clarify another question. In your original post there is suggestion: "If Your Not Using File Vault Then Please Disable Hibernate". Does this recommendation still actual? I don't using File Vault but keep hibernate setting on default values(hibernate mode 3 and standby delay 24h). I don't observe any issues with sleep/wake but want to make sure that I don't missing anything important. Thanks.

Hi @AudioGod, sorry for possible disturbance, dupping my question

Hey chaps ...

Any of you booting Linux from inside OpenCore? 

Usually i don't bother and i boot what i need via the UEFI boot selector, this time i decided to set up bootpicker to recognise my Linux disks... What i have noticed when I'm in Linux is that dmidecode sees the BIOS as acidanthera and also iMac19,1.. 

Anyone who boots Linux this way noticed any drama with things being weird or not working?  Could be its just window dressing and the kernel knows im on a normal box and treats it as such, or could there be special {censored} in there that the kernel is likely to treat this box as an iMac? 

Not used it very much so far to see things one way or another nor can i see something simple in the Opencore docs to tell me how to switch this off, seems to be set vendor Apple or Acidanthera via the SpoofVendor method... 

Not really that important but more wondering what others have seen .. 

Also a question i have also is that in order to have my Linux disks detected by OpenCore and displayed in bootpicker, i needed to set the boot path in the Misc/BlessOverride method, is this how you all are doing it or is there some other way im missing that gets things displayed and autodetected?

Cheers ..

9 hours ago, Cass67 said:

Hey chaps ...

Usually i don't bother and i boot what i need via the UEFI boot selector, this time i decided to set up bootpicker to recognise my Linux disks... What i have noticed when I'm in Linux is that dmidecode sees the BIOS as acidanthera and also iMac19,1.. 

Anyone who boots Linux this way noticed any drama with things being weird or not working?  Could be its just window dressing and the kernel knows im on a normal box and treats it as such, or could there be special {censored} in there that the kernel is likely to treat this box as an iMac? 

Not used it very much so far to see things one way or another nor can i see something simple in the Opencore docs to tell me how to switch this off, seems to be set vendor Apple or Acidanthera via the SpoofVendor method... 

Also a question i have also is that in order to have my Linux disks detected by OpenCore and displayed in bootpicker, i needed to set the boot path in the Misc/BlessOverride method, is this how you all are doing it or is there some other way im missing that gets things displayed and autodetected?

Cheers ..

If you want to 100% bypass OpenCore for Linux or Windows then just change the following in the Config.plist.

• Kernel -> Quirks -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> True
  • PlatformInfo -> UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Custom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, Cass67 said:

Hey chaps ...

Cheers ..

I boot into Ubuntu from inside OpenCore by setting BlessOverride to the location of grubx64.efi (with Windows-style "\" slashes to delineate directory paths, not UNIX/Linux "/" ones). The icon is generic and the name of the Linux selection is "NO NAME," because the EFI wasn't named (why would it be?). Also, since this removes the graphical reference to Windows upon first boot or after any NVRAM reset, I have to select the Windows bootmgr.efi from within grub, and then it shows up.  This is assuming your installation order was like mine (Windows, then Linux on a separate partition on the same drive, then macOS on a separate drive, as in https://hackintosh-multiboot.gitbook.io/hackintosh-multiboot/, which is referenced in the Dortania OpenCore guide). If you don't run Windows, then don't worry about getting there from grub.

Other than that, everything works and performs as expected, both within Linux and Windows.  Checking the motherboard ID/BIOS version from either yields Acidanthera-(whatever the correct alphanumeric value is that follows that) and the firmware version of the iMac that OpenCore emulates, not that of the actual Gigabyte motherboard or its UEFI BIOS version (the correct fields of those data still obviously show up when mashing "DEL" upon boot to get into UEFI BIOS and hit F8 as if to update it, they just don't show up to any booted OSes under OpenCore). Neither of these pieces of data, again, seem to create a problem for function or performance… in anything that I do with my rig (YMMV).

If there's a particular program you're running that I might have experience with, I'm happy to weigh in on that. But overall, I find it to be a non-issue.

Edited by juan e. jot

39 minutes ago, juan e. jot said:

Other than that, everything works and performs as expected, both within Linux and Windows.  Checking the motherboard ID/BIOS version from either yields Acidanthera-(whatever the correct alphanumeric value is that follows that) and the firmware version of the iMac that OpenCore emulates, not that of the actual Gigabyte motherboard or its UEFI BIOS version (the correct fields of those data still obviously show up when mashing "DEL" upon boot to get into UEFI BIOS and hit F8 as if to update it, they just don't show up to any booted OSes under OpenCore). Neither of these pieces of data, again, seem to create a problem for function or performance… in anything that I do with my rig (YMMV).

Not if you do what I said in my last post it doesn’t. You can bypass everything OpenCore for any other OS by making the 2 changes I laid out above! And yes it does have a knock on effect of performance as I have discovered after many hours of testing and tying down little niggles on windows and Ubuntu via my Zen3 build.

It’s very small I admit but it’s there and from a gamers perspective it’s even more obvious if your trying to squeeze those extra FPS out. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AudioGod said:

If you want to 100% bypass OpenCore for Linux or Windows then just change the following in the Config.plist.

• Kernel -> Quirks -> CustomSMBIOSGuid -> True
  • PlatformInfo -> UpdateSMBIOSMode -> Custom

Ahaaa!! nice one, I'll give that a bash.. That didnt jump out at me in the config guide..  cheers fella.. that's exactly what I was looking for...

1 hour ago, juan e. jot said:

I boot into Ubuntu from inside OpenCore by setting BlessOverride to the location of grubx64.efi (with Windows-style "\" slashes to delineate directory paths, not UNIX/Linux "/" ones). The icon is generic and the name of the Linux selection is "NO NAME," because the EFI wasn't named (why would it be?). Also, since this removes the graphical reference to Windows upon first boot or after any NVRAM reset, I have to select the Windows bootmgr.efi from within grub, and then it shows up.  This is assuming your installation order was like mine (Windows, then Linux on a separate partition on the same drive, then macOS on a separate drive, as in https://hackintosh-multiboot.gitbook.io/hackintosh-multiboot/, which is referenced in the Dortania OpenCore guide). If you don't run Windows, then don't worry about getting there from grub.

If there's a particular program you're running that I might have experience with, I'm happy to weigh in on that. But overall, I find it to be a non-issue.

Hey bud.. 

Nah was not looking for anything specific just didn't like my hw being described as an iMac when not in OSX.. Had an idea something somewhere would end up being throttled due to power management or something...  Wanted to figure if there was a way of bypassing opencore magic when booting other os's...

Cheers

10 hours ago, Cass67 said:

Ahaaa!! nice one, I'll give that a bash.. That didnt jump out at me in the config guide..  cheers fella.. that's exactly what I was looking for...

There’s not much info on it as they don’t endorse it or like to talk about it.
I’m guessing it might have something to do with all the refusal over the years to do such a thing...lol.... Anyway that’s just my take on why it’s so hush hush.

Edited by AudioGod

On 2/7/2021 at 8:53 PM, freakermonguer said:

to anybody that could help me, specially @AudioGod that indeed is a god in this matters :-) 

Z390 PRO mb. I've been working with it around a year now, but didn't update a thing. Still on Catalina. Works like a charm except an usb random issue that happens just sometimes.

If I recall properly I have bios 11J (could it be?) it seems that now there's a new bios. 

I want to be careful in what I do as I don't want to mess up anything. My plan is to update everything step by step so I can go back and correct it if I go wrong.

Which steps should I follow to update my build?. I don't want to get stuck up with a non working build. Of course before doing anything I will backup my OS drive to be able to go back instead of anything goes bad, but it's the bios update / open core update altogether that scares me,

I have a few questions:

What do you recommend? 
BIOS & OPENCORE update (i will do it in a new USB drive just to be careful) and then -> OS UPDATE?

Or 

OS UPDATE (with older opencore and bios) and then -> BIOS & OPENCORE update? (I wonder if old opencore will work with BigSur)

- If I update the BIOS withouth updating opencore will the older OpenCore still boot?

- Will and updated bios and updated OpenCore Work with Catalina? 

Because I can go step by step.

Update Bios -> Boot in Catalina -> update OpenCore -> Boot in Catalina with new opencore -> Update Catalina

There's another path I can follow which is 

Update to BigSur -> Boot BigSur with older OpenCore and Bios -> Update OpenCore -> Update BIOS -> Boot again in BigSur with everything updated

But for this path to work I need to know if I can boot in BigSur with the older F11J bios and the older OpenCore, or is it mandatory to update the OpenCore and Bios FIRST so BigSur works?

Any help with this would be appreciated

1 hour ago, freakermonguer said:

Any help with this would be appreciated

Sorry buddy, I missed your original message.

Big Sur will work with OpenCore 0.6.4 or higher although I recommend you use V0.6.6 from the off.

OpenCore is free from bios version dependency as there’s no dsdt involved so your free to stick on the bios revision your currently using or use the latest version available and just dial back in the settings on page one. Your choice.

to upgrade to big sur update to OpenCore 0.6.6 first.

As for usb randomly cutting out, well that a Z390 Pro bug and it also happens on a few other Gigabyte boards including AMD X570 and B550 boards. As far as I know it’s still not been fixed on the Z390 Pro and there’s not a lot that can be done about it other then bugging Gigabyte. (It happens in windows too).

Tip - Download the latest OC EFI from here and copy your serial number, uuid, MLB and MAC Address from your old config.plist to the new one and stick it on a USB macOS Install drive and make sure it works for you. Follow the steps on the install update notice that you can find on the top of page 172. Everything you need to know and download is there waiting for you. (The V0.6.6 EFI will work with Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur)

Edited by AudioGod
  • Like 1