BrcmPatchRAM2 for 10.15 Catalina (Broadcom bluetooth firmware upload)

headkaze
429 posts in this topic

Hello, @headkaze

My bluetooth device has VendorID 0x14E4 and ProductID 0x432B (BCM94322, which corresponds to Dell DW1510, I think) located in internal USB port HS10. In this case, how would be the patch?

All I know is that it would be something like: 

<key>14e4_432b</key>
        <dict>
            <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
            <string>com.no-one.$(PRODUCT_NAME:????????????)</string>
            <key>DisplayName</key>
            <string>BCM4322 Bluetooth 4.0</string>
            <key>FirmwareKey</key>
            <string>BCM????????????????????????</string>
            <key>IOClass</key>
            <string>BrcmPatchRAM3</string>
            <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
            <string>BrcmPatchRAM3</string>
            <key>IOProviderClass</key>
            <string>IOUSBHostDevice</string>
            <key>IOProbeScore</key>
            <integer>4000</integer>
            <key>idProduct</key>
            <integer>5348</integer>
            <key>idVendor</key>
            <integer>17195</integer>
        </dict>

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, swatchie-1 said:

Hey guys, does your DW1820A able to connect to your own Personal Hotspot? Mine will say it can't connect eventhough it's there.Here's the screenshots. Any reply is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 5.03.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 5.03.28 PM.png

My DW1560 have the same issue. I believe only native WifiCards+BT will work.

7 hours ago, MacKonsti said:

This is a thread for Bluetooth mate and using the BrcmPatchRAM kext in Catalina, you refer to a Wi-Fi problem, not the correct discussion here I think.

The negotiation to activate Personal Access between macOS and iPhone is carried out via bluetooth. So it is related... :)

• Thanks 2

Hi @headkaze and @darkvoid and everyone, hope you are well and safe. I have a weird situation and wanted your feedback, please.

I am using a BCM4350 combo card (DW1820A variant, Foxconn T77H649.00 for Lenovo 00JT494 part number) and BTLE is reported as Broadcom BCM2045A0 [0a5c:6414] that works great with the expected BrcmPatchRAM3.kext and BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext under Catalina 10.15.5.

However, each time I reboot or I wake my Lenovo IdeaPad S145-14iWL from sleep, I need to turn Bluetooth OFF then ON in order to connect to a device e.g. my Logitech MX Anywhere 2 mouse. After this operation, the mouse connects instantly and works perfectly until a reboot or wake.

Any idea what would this happen? I see that my BTLE [0a5c:6414] is among the supported devices (on GitHub page) and the firmware version loaded is v7 c6820 so could this be the issue? No chipset is detected, unfortunately:

Spoiler

Apple Bluetooth Software Version:   7.0.5f6
Hardware, Features and Settings:
  Name:                             Lenovo
  Address:                          70-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
  Bluetooth Low Energy Supported:   Yes
  Handoff Supported:                Yes
  Instant Hot Spot Supported:       Yes
  Manufacturer:                     Broadcom
  Transport:                        USB
  Chipset:                          Unknown (6e)
  Firmware Version:                 v7 c6820
  Bluetooth Power:                  On
  Discoverable:                     Off
  Connectable:                      Yes
  Auto Seek Pointing:               On
  Remote wake:                      On
  Vendor ID:                        0x0A5C
  Product ID:                       0x6414
  Bluetooth Core Spec:              4.1 (0x7)
  HCI Revision:                     0x1AA4
  LMP Version:                      4.1 (0x7)
  LMP Subversion:                   0x6607
  Device Type (Major):              Computer
  Device Type (Complete):           Mac Portable
  Composite Class Of Device:        0x38010C
  Device Class (Major):             0x01
  Device Class (Minor):             0x03
  Service Class:                    0x1C0
  Auto Seek Keyboard:               On

• In Windows 10, I think I need to do the same operation too, and this is kinda disappointing... could it be due to the laptop's firmware?
  • Anything you could suggest that I can inject as device-properties via Clover, to resolve this, like some "reset" command?
  • Could this be related to the fact that it's USB connected internally thus some Clover config parameter may help?
  • NOTE: a) XOSI is used, of course, in Clover; b) the WLAN module part of the BCM4350 card however does not require the off/on operation, works and connects straight away after each boot/wake; c) I am using USBPorts.kext already via Hackintool.

Thank you all in advance!

P.S. @headkaze perhaps you'd also consider changing the topic name from BrcmPatchRAM2 to the name used in GitHub project like BrcmPatchRAM as we also have v3 now ? Just an idea :D

btle.log

Edited by MacKonsti

• 2 weeks later...

Another success with Fake EC trick. Without it the firmware isn't uploaded correctly or only does after reboot from Windows. Should have to note that the Fake EC isn't fully success, I can't view EC with IORegistryExplorer but the firmware does uploaded :)

The issue of Fake EC might due to X58 Xeon system, it is too old. SSDTTime failed by saying "Could not locate LPC(B)". I actually manually edited SSDT-EC.aml

Lastly these 3 kexts are installed to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other

BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

Thanks a lot devs!

• 3 weeks later...

@headkaze

what's the difference between 2.5.3 you shared here and the acidanthera 2.5.3 release?

I tried both and noticed that your version works better, I can wake up catalina using your version, but cannot using acidantera version. just wonder whether the magic fix can be ported over

I'm using a AW-CE123H

Edited by 0xd1ab10

Hello and thanks for your sharing. I'm not well versed in Hackintosh, I just got lucky to make it work with some help on internet with technolli files.

1) I want to resolve an issue,  I installed a genuine Apple airport a pci Adapter in Catalina 10.15.6 with. I have OPEN CORE 0.5.9, Gigabyte Vison z490. WIfi is not working BT is OK.  I'm don't want to use the Fenvi Card that I bought before I found the airportcards. (BCM94360CD and a BCM94331CD).

Also, I cannot make any of these cards to to connect with Bluetooth devices like Bose headphones, midi Keyboards.  Not the Fenvi, not the Airports. 

I really appreciate if you kindly give me a hand. I'm putting my config and screens of the kexts that I have in the EFI folder: BT4LEContinutyFixup, Intelbluetoothfirmware, Intelbluetoothinjector and the ones I downloaded to replace or to add, really don't know. : Airportbrcm4360_injector and AirportBcrmNIC

I added those to the config I think they didn't work along the others cos I lost Wifi and BT also.

Hope somebody with more knowledge than I can help me or explain as easy as possible the way to go to put up running the Genuine Airport in my 10.15.6 system. or if need to do something else.

2) Also, Anyone knows what is need it to put to work Aiport during the Booting stage since a thread mentioned it should work only when you have a genuine apple airport card and the keyboard and mouse connects without issues. But not mine.

BEst regards and thanks for let me be in this community.

Configplist.zip

Hello my friends. Thanks for sharing all your findings. I really appreciate the efforts. I'm not well versed in Hackintosh matters. I just got lucky and start to make run a new build with Catalina 10.15.6 and Gigabyte Z490 Vision. I've been using FEnvi and it is straight forward with Wifi and Bt. but the latter is too weak that only connects with the apple keyboard, but not with midi controllers, not with the Bose headphones that I have. So I followed I'm trying to improve my setup.

I found a genuine BCM94360CD and a BCM94331CD with a PCI ADapter, In part cos, it sounded better to have something genuine and to let me use the apple keyboard from the booting stage but nothing happened, Keyboard doesn't work, I don't know what extra step I need to do in the BIOS, so anyways ...I installed then and I had Bluetooth out of the box with the same problem of weak signal but NO WIFI.!!!!  I didn't change my Config.Plist ( I just did an exercise adding some kexts below but didn't work)

(I'm using Open Core 0.5.9) so my question to you guys, if you can shed some light on Which kexts to add to the EFi and which to remove and what it has to be changed in the config in order to make it run natively.  I'm kind of lost.

I really appreciate if you kindly give me a hand. I'm putting my config and screens of the kexts that I have in the EFI folder: BT4LEContinutyFixup, Intelbluetoothfirmware, Intelbluetoothinjector and the ones I downloaded to replace or to add: Airportbrcm4360_injector and AirportBcrmNIC

I added those to the config I think they didn't work along the others cos I lost Wifi and BT also when I restarted. So I'm pretty sure is a matter of getting the right kexts and config.

Hope somebody with more knowledge than I can help me or explain as easy as possible the way to go to put up running this setup

WIFI + BT 
and BOOTING Stage recognizing 

BEst regards and thanks for let me be in this community.

Configplist.zip

Edited by virtualevans

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've a DW1820A in M2 slot. (wifi & Bluetooth on Big Sur with BrcmPatchRAM3, Injector and BrcmFirmwareData kexts)

I use Bluetooth Apple keyboard and Mouse.

On cold boot all working fine, debug said Bluetooth firmware loading.

After warm boot firmware not loading debug said not necessary -> so keyboard and mouse does not work anymore.

Cold boot and all ok of course, it seems to be a bug or bad config from my side who know !

Fred

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have [13d3:3404] 4352HMB Azurewave Module and using BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext BrcmPatchRAM3.kextBrcmFirmwareData.kext ( USB port injected using USBports.kext and BT USB port type is internal).

No log found using log show --last boot | grep -I brcm. The bluetooth detected but not working and keep restarting.

But when I'm rebooting from ubuntu or windows bluetooth works fine. When I checked IOReg, Noticed the Vendor and Product Id changed to 0CF3:3005.

I have changed the original WiFi+BT of laptop. Is something wrong with my ACPI? Do I need change device properties in SSDT?

Attached the 2 IORegs.

noBt.zip

workingBt.zip

Update

I found out that my BT is Atheros AR3011 not Broadcom 3404 (that was my old WiFi+BT). somehow rebooting to macOS from Windows or Linux will correct the VID/PID, Otherwise it's still showing 13d3:3404. Anyone knows to change the VID/PID of USB Device?

Edited by MJKhaani
last status

Hi there.

I have an issue on Big Sur. Yes I know, it is new. But what is your experience? Maybe I have something wrong.

On Catalina my Wifi/Bluetooth (BCM94350ZAE) in M.2 Socket adapter worked OK with BrcmPatchRam3, injector and firmwaredata in EFI kexts other folder.

Now on Big Sur I got kernel panic, when my bluetooth is connected to internal USB pins. I think my USBs are well mapped.

Thank you for help

• 1 month later...

I am on Big Sur 11.0.1 & OpenCore 0.6.4 with AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM3.kext in my EFI/OC/Kexts.
For USB mapping, USBMap.kext is being used.

Wifi is working fine with AirportBrcmFixup.kext.
Bluetooth is loaded but there's no option to turn it on.

please check screenshot attached, tried to include everything
Can anyone help? Please?

[0489:e07a] Lenovo China 4352+20702 NGFF (T77H543.00)
which is mentioned supported on https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM . But isn't working for me with above configuration.
PS: Although it works correctly in windows.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 7.58.58 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 7.59.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 8.00.23 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 10.34.06 AM.png

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 4:22 PM, iammask said:

I am on Big Sur 11.0.1 & OpenCore 0.6.4 with AirportBrcmFixup.kext, BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM3.kext in my EFI/OC/Kexts.
For USB mapping, USBMap.kext is being used.

Wifi is working fine with AirportBrcmFixup.kext.
Bluetooth is loaded but there's no option to turn it on.

please check screenshot attached, tried to include everything
Can anyone help? Please?

[0489:e07a] Lenovo China 4352+20702 NGFF (T77H543.00)
which is mentioned supported on https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM . But isn't working for me with above configuration.
PS: Although it works correctly in windows.

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 7.58.58 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 7.59.19 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 8.00.23 AM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 10.34.06 AM.png

@headkaze in newer built also, it is broken

• 11 months later...

A noob question from a not-so-noob hacker...  Does the BrcmPatchRAM firmware update mechanism work only for Bluetooth, or could it be used to address Wi-Fi functionality?  Details below...

I realize that all of the BrcmPatchRAM documentation that I've read (which admittedly isn't much) suggests that the BrcmPatchRAM firmware update mechanism applies only to Bluetooth.  I've seen reports that the BCM94360NG card suffers from poor Wi-Fi performance (see here), but Bluetooth is fine.  I have a BCM94360NG in my HackBookPro15,2 and it works for my purposes (both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), but I haven't performed the more rigorous speed tests to reveal this performance limitation.

Reports of this poor BCM94360NG performance indicate that a warm boot from Windows into macOS "fixes" the performance problem, which sounds to me like a firmware-related issue (at least it would be the case for Bluetooth).  Is it possible that BrcmPatchRAM's firmware update mechanism might be used to resolve this Wi-Fi performance issue experienced with the BCM94360NG?

EDIT: I did read @MacKonsti 's post here: this question is about whether the firmware update mechanism employed by BrcmPatchRAM could possibly be used to address this Wi-Fi issue.

Edited by deeveedee

Hi @deeveedee I think that the developers, with the correct firmware in hand (needed to populate a version of BrcmFirmwareData.kext for WLAN modules) could, with some modifications, create a similar kext to BrcmPatchRAM but for WiFi.

This is assuming that firmware loading for Broadcom modules can be done, like it is done for Intel WLAN modules by itlmw that I use (i.e. OpenIntelWireless project)

What I don't know is whether a) these firmwares are available as binaries for us to use, even just one to test; and b) the effort required to modify this existing kext mechanism to do this and the "demand" for this, out there (in terms of users).

Perhaps @vit9696 could comment quickly?

( I appreciate it's off-topic for BTLE discussions... so I will stop here, personally )

Edited by MacKonsti
  • Like 1

Thank you, @Hervé.  I tried to be careful here about stating that the BrcmPatchRAM kexts were intended for Bluetooth only, so thank you for clarifying.  I'll refrain from any further Wi-Fi inquiries in this thread and post in a more appropriate thread if in fact the BCM94360NG issue is Wi-Fi firmware-related.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

[SOLVED MY APPOLOGIES]

IOKit Daemon (Kernelmanagerd) stall [0], (60s): 'BCM20702A0' (a,20000001).

Asus G750JX Laptop with 

• [13d3:3404] Azurewave BCM4352HMB+20702A0 combo hang during boot Ventura 13.2.1 and 13.3, OC v0.9.1.   No issues in Big Sur everything in OC bootloader, tried /L/E.   The hang is so bad that is kills USB mounting once it reaches to the desktop.  Any Suggestions, like I said tried /L/E booting instead of bootloader injection using  BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and  BrcmNonPatchRAM2.kext along with fixup and injector kexts in /L/E and BT is not enabled this way.

Edited 4-25-2023

This one is confirmed working according to GitHub documentation so completely lost as to why this is happening.   Was this confirmed working on MacOS Ventura because it does work in Big Sur.

OK now it looks like after reading over the documentation again I made a mistake and it looks like for Ventura I have to use the Bluetooth fixup kext instead of the Bluetooth injector. I couldn’t get that to work. I’ll give it another try.

Edited by oSxFr33k

• 7 months later...

Good morning guys!

Long time no see. :)

So, I've got a small BT dongle from Asus (BT-400) which seems to be using Broadcom chip BCM20702A0. It worked fine for a looong time. But I think starting with Monterey it just stopped working. I haven't used it for a while. Now I upgraded my hack and tried to use it, and at first it wouldn't work at all, but after some research and adding kext, it started to work. Well partially anyway. And here's where I need your help.

I've already added the necessary kexts. In fact, I seem to have the same issue whether I add all 3 kexts (BlueToolFixup, BrcmFirmwareData and BrcmPatchRAM3) or just BlueToolFixup.

Anyway. So I'm using Sonoma (14.2 if that makes a difference) and the issue I'm having is with BT headphones connected to this adapter. For as far as I could test, the issue occurs when I try to use the microphone part for calls (like Skype or Discord). If I just use it to listen to music, it seems to be working fine. At least for a while... But as soon as I have something that requires the microphone, it just stops working all together. The sound doesn't work anymore, the mic doesn't work either. Even in System Settings/Sound Input it doesn't work. In fact, if I connect the headphones, and the go to System Settings > Sound > Input, it disconnects.

Has anyone else tried this setup before? Do we need an update or something?

When this happens, the only solution seems to be a restart. And after that, it's back to working only for listening to music. Did I miss something?

Thank you very much in advance to anyone trying to help.

Also, I was considering buying another adapter. But....looks like there are no compatible ones anymore. I mean...compatible OOB, no kexts necessary. And also I was thinking of buying a WiFi + BT combo card. But looks like those don't work either. Because Apple moved from keyed WiFi cards to soldered (because of course). So, since none of the supported Intel models seems to have that...there was of course no need to support them software-side either. So I'm a bit stuck at this point. I could buy a Fenvi card...and work around the issues with kexts and stuff, but I was hoping I would find something that just works OOB, with no modifications. I guess there's no such thing anymore.

Anyway, right now, I'm just trying to fix this BT issue. So if anyone can share some advice, that would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by arsradu