AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

Gigamaxx

242 posts in this topic

@Chanks  - you have right -"Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS."

Edited by corint1

@ITzTravelInTime No, this iMac uses the 9900K with IGPU. The SMBIOS is totally optimized for IGPU rendering which is a shame because IGPU is slower than RX580 encoders. Thus for Hackintoshes it is the best to turn IGPU off and use iMacPro1,1 for best performance. Otherwise encoding will be done by IGPU.

@Picasso Something is wrong with your configuration then. Otherwise it would work. Please make sure you have renamed your ACPI devices properly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@ITzTravelInTime No, this iMac uses the 9900K with IGPU. The SMBIOS is totally optimized for IGPU rendering which is a shame because IGPU is slower than RX580 encoders. Thus for Hackintoshes it is the best to turn IGPU off and use iMacPro1,1 for best performance. Otherwise encoding will be done by IGPU.

@Picasso Something is wrong with your configuration then. Otherwise it would work. Please make sure you have renamed your ACPI devices properly.

You mean:

GFX0 to IGPU

HDAS to HDEF

HECI to IMEI

Thanks!

6 hours ago, CMMChris said:

PEGP to GFX0 is important as well

Hmm I turned off GFX to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 for the SMBIOS 1,1 build. But the published wisdom is that with WEG it's not necessary. I turned them off for my 18,3 test and QiuckSync was enabled.

• Like 1

@PPC If you use Whatevergreen they are indeed not necessary but you don't need Whatevergreen for your Radeon VII.

@foskvs They are not useless but necessary to get hardware acceleration for video on AMD cards.

In general I prefer to add all graphics renames (HECI / MEI to IMEI, GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 in exactly this order) regardless if IGPU is active or not. Doesn't hurt and makes things a little easier if for whatever reason I have to enable IGPU one day. In addition, I already did see boards where GFX0 isn't removed from DSDT if IGPU is disabled. This could potentially cause issues if you only rename PEGP to GFX0 since you then have two GFX0 devices.

• Like 2

Whatevergreen

v1.2.9

• Added AMD Radeon VII to detected list
  • Disabled automatic framebuffer usage on Polaris GPUs
  • Added preserve-names device property to preserve current GPU names
  • Added AppleVPA patching support, replaces NoVPAJpeg.kext (thx CMMChris and uglyJoe)

9 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@PPC If you use Whatevergreen they are indeed not necessary but you don't need Whatevergreen for your Radeon VII.

Hmm, I did remove WEG and would not boot. Had to flip to iGPU in BIOS, put WEG back and reboot into PCIe1.

Something is wrong with your config then. I am running the VII without WEG and so do a lot of other people. Feel free to provide me with your Clover folder through PM and I will have a look.

22 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Something is wrong with your config then. I am running the VII without WEG and so do a lot of other people. Feel free to provide me with your Clover folder through PM and I will have a look.

I have black screen and a vga resolution before logon , if dont use WEG

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, meaganmargaret said:

As for the Radeon VII, with those boot patches, things seem almost identical to the 10.14.6 beta.  Similar performance, same problem (scratchy audio), at least for me.

some improvements on metal test ... over 180 k in geekbench

Edited by corint1

On 6/4/2019 at 2:20 PM, corint1 said:

some improvements on metal test ... over 180 k in geekbench

Lately I've been getting this with 10.14.6 Beta 1 (hopefully next beta is around the corner).

I touched 180k once but didn't take a screenshot.

I am just curious as to why the "maximum frequency" says 350Mhz, even in LuxMark it shows the same thing. This didn't happen with Vega FE I had before. Is it the macOS AMD driver reporting it this way or what?

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.18.34 AM.png

2 hours ago, izo1 said:

With 10.14.6 18G48f Beta 2, the following still have not been fixed.

1) Purple lines during the load bar

Otherwise it's pretty stable.

It falls into almost all category AMD Graphics cards 

17 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, I've installed Beta 2 of 10.14.6 and I'm really wondering what was the point of this release?   I see no significant change, in anything.  Has anyone seen any real change?   How about enhanced functionality of some sort?  My Radeon VII card is almost identical in terms of its performance and it's problems.   

I'm not just talking about the VII card.  Overall, what is different?  I don't see much of anything....

As per Dev betas, they are applying bug fixes under the hood.

For me, I noticed it's a little more stable than Beta 1 when running a lot of applications and intensive tasks.

Radeon VII is working fine, minus the DisplayPort audio bug and the purple lines. The performance should be better than what we have now, maybe they will shift all resources to catalina after final of 10.14.6.

Update #2 with latest Lilu + WG....It actually made things worst. Audio glitch via DP now lasts forever, with previous release it would fix over time until you restarted.

And performance is lower now.

I don't know how the Lilu/WG dev can fix this, I made some comments but not sure if they look at it.

tested a XFX Radeon VII in my rig

OSX
Mojave 10.14.5

Catalina 10.15 beta 2

pretty similar result with geekbench for metal and OpenCl (about 170/180K)

Cinebench 15 (in 10.14.5 145 frame)

Luxmark 3.1 (51000)

Without weg and without any special port remapping only HDMI port is working

With WEG also 2 of 3 DP ports are ok the first one from top is not seen

DP Audio is fine. no scratch at all. Purple lines are there.

In my Mb no Bluetooth no wifi. Only a TbEx 3 thunderbolt adapter

GFX scales well under load no undervolt needs. Fans are running in a correct way

Edited by Guest