AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

Gigamaxx

242 posts in this topic

Time to make things clear...

As already mentioned by me in the German community @trueadm posted in the thread of @KGP-iMacPro that the VII only runs when the IGPU is on in the bios.

The whole thing didn't leave me any peace today and I wanted to know it exactly, so I set up a small test setup.

Since I was missing a CPU cooler, I had to improvise a little, as you can easily see.

Don't worry all parts live and CPU was kept constant at 53/54 degrees ;)

What turned out now ?

Yes, the card has acceleration when you edit the kext but ONLY!! :

if...

a) the IGPU is active or

b) basically there is a helper card in it

If both are not available then the behavior already determined by @KGP-iMacPro or myself mentioned from day one.

IMG_8198.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-20 um 23.35.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-20 um 23.48.20.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DSM2 said:

You should read again I didnt state that the card works only If you have an IGPU. If you edit the 5000.kext you need an helper Card. Otherwise it will Not Work until Apple release the final Driver

You are correct, they changed the kexts in 10.14.3.   In just removed my rx 460 out and it boots to black screen in 14.3 with VII only.   I put my 10.14.2 disk in and it works.  I had my 460 in there to save power and just pulled the power to the VII and connected only to test after the update.   But it had the RX 460 as helper card.   Maybe we need a WEG kext update to include this card ID.

Try these kexts (10.14.2) maybe the 5000kext first.

10.14.2 kexts.zip

42 minutes ago, DSM2 said:

The black screen is not related to weg or an SSDT or anything else...

Trust me If I say that.... I did alot of testing...

Interesting it works in 10.14.4 beta 3 with dual VIIs.

VII dual cards in 10.14.3.png

Edited by Gigamaxx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DSM2 said:

You still forget that your CPU has an iGPU and just because you didnt configure it by yourself it doesnt mean its not initialized by WEG.

How ever... Its 6 o' clock in the morning here in Germany. Bed time!

Can weg initialize IGPU when it’s disabled in mobo bios????   But speaking of  bios did you flash the card to UEFI?    I still have one in Legacy/bios mode.

11 hours ago, Pavo said:

Dont think it requires iGPU to be enabled or you wouldn’t be able to do this in a real Mac https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-radeon-vii-on-the-mac-pro-5-1-vega-10-driver-results-and-beyond.2170567/

They repeated exactly my testing from a couple days after launch.   Vega12 and Vega10 driver testing.   

16 minutes ago, Gigamaxx said:

Can weg initialize IGPU when it’s disabled in mobo bios????   But speaking of  bios did you flash the card to UEFI?    I still have one in Legacy/bios mode.

Like I already explained to you in the German Community. Just because you set output to PEG the onboard Chip is not disabled at all!!!

Yes my card runs UEFI BIOS but it doesnt matter since exactly same behaviour is happening in legacy mode.

5 hours ago, DSM2 said:

Like I already explained to you in the German Community. Just because you set output to PEG the onboard Chip is not disabled at all!!!

Yes my card runs UEFI BIOS but it doesnt matter since exactly same behaviour is happening in legacy mode.

It works without WEG.  10.14.4 beta 3

Check the bootlog IOReg and screenshots.   Its not just set to Peg the IGPU multi monitor is also disabled.  I can enable and my IGPU will show up if configured but its not.

Clover doesn't show any Intel in graphics screen as well.

iMac Pro Vii 10.14.3 no WEG.zip

AMD R VII no WEG.png

bootlog.txt.zip

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 11.25.53 AM.png

Hi guys,

I did a lot of changes in my config in the last few days.

I was set with an iMac Pro smbios. I change to iMac 18,3 to get the iGPU support.

With those patches (see screenshot), i'm able to boot in Mac OS with the iGPU enable in the bios and the patch in the AMDRadeonX5000 file. My iGPU is set in headless mode. Is that enough to get the patch working?

However, the fix doesn't seems to work yet. I'm not getting any acceleration on my VII.

If I check in Kext Wizard, I can see that AMDRadeonX5000 is not loaded. (see screenshot). Is it normal?

Here's my config if it can help: Intel i9 9900k - AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac - 32gb LPX Corsair 2666Mhz - 2 x 1TB Samsung Evo 970 - AMD Radeon VII

Thanks a lot for the help guys

patch.png

loaded_kext.png

Edited by Benlehot

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening everyone! I would like to also be part of the testing process here. I just finally got my Hackintosh build today but sadly using 10.14.1 from Olarila. The following is my hardware configuration;

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core Processor

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme Z390

CPU COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 250W

MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000Mhz 32GB 4x8

GRAPHIC CARD: Sapphire Radeon VII 16GB HBM2

CASE: CoolerMaster MasterCase SL600M

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RMx Series RM850x — 850 Watt 80 PLUS

STORAGE: SAMSUNG 970 500GB M.2 - Windows 10

STORAGE: SAMSUNG 970 250GB M.2 - Games

STORAGE: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Mojave

I however do have a question. I been experiencing odd random freezes. I am not sure what it is or what could be causing it. Not sure if the GPU is the reason I am getting those or something completely different. Any info would be appreciated. 

One final question, were can I find the 10.14.4 beta 3 image? Also is it hard to do an update on a hackintosh directly from the apple store? 

I guess was a few questions sorry. 

-Thanks!

Hi, I've got a MBP 2019 with the officially supported eGFX breakaway 650 box and the Radeon VII. I'm working with the last beta of Mojave (10.14.4 beta 6) and the only thing I changed is enabling the AMD drivers for Radeon VII with AMDRadeonX5000 kext. I'm also experimenting random freezes. So I think AMD drivers doesn't work well with the Radeon VII atm, and that's the main reason this GPU is still not supported in last OS X beta. Hope it's going to be fixed soon...