AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

Gigamaxx

242 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, tChibo said:

3D performance for Radeon VII is excellent.

Latest WG (non-release) fixes purple glitches.

Luxmark performance is excellent.
FCPX performance is excellent.

GeekBench OpenCL/Metal performance is sub-par.

Luxmark shows the wrong base clock for Radeon VII.

DP/HDMI audio glitch in certain environments for Radeon VII.

Display dips to black before login screen.

This is where we are. AMD drivers for Radeon VII are bugged. Mojave 10.14.6 did not fix these issues.
When the new Mac Pro comes out, expect Catalina to fix many of these issues. However, with Mojave, it's finished and we stop at lower OpenCL performance.

Edited by izo1

1 minute ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, I made the mistake of trusting the files you posted, @tChibo, and you managed to make my system not boot at all.  Fortunately, I had a backup boot disk.......

WTF??

try compile it yourself... 

image.thumb.png.c9f32a877bd2d279279250b8438ad4a7.png

50 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, I made the mistake of trusting the files you posted, @tChibo, and you managed to make my system not boot at all.  Fortunately, I had a backup boot disk.......

Use attached. I just built them and works fine for me.

I suggest you make a USB stick for testing purposes in general, and when ready move it over to the main partition.

AppleALC.kext.zip

Lilu.kext.zip

WhateverGreen.kext.zip

On 7/21/2019 at 8:33 PM, tChibo said:

WHAT????

image.thumb.png.2f30660ea0190b1d9b0d006bdc16a911.png

downgrade bios to F10

Thank you, it’s working. But I will keep testing.

2 hours ago, Pavo said:

Not unless someone can reverse engineer the second stage boot loading phase.

Probably it’s means we can’t get any solution forever.

2 hours ago, Pavo said:

Not unless someone can reverse engineer the second stage boot loading phase.

Probably it’s means we can’t get any solution forever.

15 hours ago, DSM2 said:

I've talked about the boot glitches my friend. 

Yes, the glitches happen without WG, which is related to the Apple/AMD driver. But latest build of WG does fix it. It, along with the dip to black-hand off shouldn't happen in the first place. It will improve in Catalina, so I'm not worried.

This second stage black issue started to happen with 10.14.4 or 10.14.5. It did not happen with Vega Frontier Edition, only Radeon VII (when they added support in 10.14.5). The purple lines happen with other AMD cards too since 10.14.5.

Edited by izo1

24 minutes ago, izo1 said:

This second stage black issue started to happen with 10.14.4 or 10.14.5. It did not happen with Vega Frontier Edition, only Radeon VII (when they added support in 10.14.5). The purple lines happen with other AMD cards too since 10.14.5.

This is wrong, this has happened since RX series was introduced to High Sierra. I agree that the switch has gotten longer and longer but it’s not driver related. The one thing that Apple machines have that our PCs don’t have in their ACPI tables is the VCFT which has the VBIOS with Apple EFI embedded into it. I believe this is probably a good start to determining the second stage progress bar and logo issue. It’s related how the GPU GOP gets handed off from the firmware to the OS after boot services exit and the Login Screen window handler loads. It possibly could be as easy as just adding the entire VBIOS from the GPU into that table. 

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Pavo said:

This is wrong, this has happened since RX series was introduced to High Sierra. I agree that the switch has gotten longer and longer but it’s not driver related. The one thing that Apple machines have that our PCs don’t have in their ACPI tables is the VCFT which has the VBIOS with Apple EFI embedded into it. I believe this is probably a good start to determining the second stage progress bar and logo issue. It’s related how the GPU GOP gets handed off from the firmware to the OS after boot services exit and the Login Screen window handler loads. It possibly could be as easy as just adding the entire VBIOS from the GPU into that table. 

I don't know all the specifics or the technicalities, and you're most likely right, but my previous Vega Frontier Edition and Vega 64 LC did not have this issue. It went from Apple load bar > Apple load screen with no dips to black. Of course there was a small "transition" between the handoff, but it did not send a "no signal" to the monitor like it does now.

They did something in 10.14.5. I don't have the Vega cards to test any more, only Radeon VII in possession. But I guess it's no big deal.

On 7/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, izo1 said:

I don't know all the specifics or the technicalities, and you're most likely right, but my previous Vega Frontier Edition and Vega 64 LC did not have this issue. It went from Apple load bar > Apple load screen with no dips to black. Of course there was a small "transition" between the handoff, but it did not send a "no signal" to the monitor like it does now.

They did something in 10.14.5. I don't have the Vega cards to test any more, only Radeon VII in possession. But I guess it's no big deal.

I will test it with Vega 64.

• Like 1

An update:

Switching to SAGE/10G got rid of all DP Audio glitches for me.

So it is related to Prime Deluxe II (or Prime Deluxe I).

SAGE/10G also fixed my memory errors (using 128GB) compared to Prime Deluxe II.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here with this mobo, DO NOT upgrade to 1102 BIOS for SAGE/10G unless you want to have issues with Above 4G Decoding. Having major issues (GPU/Radeon VII related), had to revert back to 0905 which is very stable.

Good luck.

Edited by izo1
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:32 PM, izo1 said:

Anyone here with this mobo, DO NOT upgrade to 1102 BIOS for SAGE/10G unless you want to have issues with Above 4G Decoding. Having major issues (GPU/Radeon VII related), had to revert back to 0905 which is very stable.

Good luck.

What kind of issues? 4G on/off?

6 hours ago, Balamut said:

What kind of issues? 4G on/off?

4G OFF = System is stable but still glitchy, none of USB ports work (internal and external)

4G ON = USB works, system unstable, stuttering in GPU dependent applications such as Premiere Pro. System is unusable.

there is also a performance drop overall. I contacted ASUS to take down the BIOS.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, izo1 said:

4G OFF = System is stable but still glitchy, none of USB ports work (internal and external)

4G ON = USB works, system unstable, stuttering in GPU dependent applications such as Premiere Pro. System is unusable.

there is also a performance drop overall. I contacted ASUS to take down the BIOS.

@izo1 do you update your DSDT each time you upgrade bios? 

• Like 1

@izo1

I have no problem by now with 1102 release
I am on HS 10.13.6 and my main task with OSX are with Premiere Pro and Davinci resolve (editing and coloring)

Also in windows no problem at all with these applications

Could you post some sample to understand where your system fails?

PS also usb are working fine (I am using above 4G on and CSM disabled, I need last CSM parameter disabled I fi I use a Thunderbolt Ex 3 as I do) without it system starts fine also with CSM enabled

12 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@izo1

I have no problem by now with 1102 release
I am on HS 10.13.6 and my main task with OSX are with Premiere Pro and Davinci resolve (editing and coloring)

Also in windows no problem at all with these applications

Could you post some sample to understand where your system fails?

PS also usb are working fine (I am using above 4G on and CSM disabled, I need last CSM parameter disabled I fi I use a Thunderbolt Ex 3 as I do) without it system starts fine also with CSM enabled

I'm on Radeon VII, do not have another GPU to test, but with Above 4G on it stutters to hell with Premiere Pro on 1102.

Disabling it works ok but USB is gone when 4G is off.

I reverted back to 0905 because I need to get work done and don't want to deal with this right now.