AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

Gigamaxx

242 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, corint1 said:

10.14.5 has been released.

no improvement for the radeon 7....
on the contrary seems to be a regress
big trick ... amd has "done" it this time ... their luck as the nvidia came out of the grace of apple

AMD doesn't write or optimize drivers for Apple. Apple does that, so any performance issues, we can blame Apple or the software that doesn't take advantage of it.

Radeon VII under Windows is a full on beast, sometimes even beating the RTX2080 in certain computational tasks. 3D Gaming is another story.

33 minutes ago, corint1 said:

Unfortunately I bought it for mac OSX and not for windows ...

What is your complaint exactly?

I have the Radeon VII in a production Hackintosh and it's working perfectly fine...my only issue is audio distortion through DisplayPort, but I'm still investigating...

I agree GeekBench should be above 200,000 score for OpenCL...

Also now that .5 is out, the .6 beta should drop soon and we will most likely (hopefully) see improvements to R7 performance.

Edited by izo1

10 minutes ago, corint1 said:

was 200k... now drop to 150k ...lose performance ... :(

Were you doing anything different when you ran those tests?

I am getting around 171k right now and others have confirmed around that number too.

Luxmark is 50k+ (Radeon VII) compared to 31k (Vega FE).

Also remember Radeon VII has 4 less CUs than Vega FE / Vega 64, but it has a giant wide memory bandwidth and higher clock speeds compared to the previous gen Vega.

Edited by izo1

21 minutes ago, izo1 said:

Were you doing anything different when you ran those tests?

I am getting around 171k right now and others have confirmed around that number too.

Luxmark is 50k+ (Radeon VII) compared to 31k (Vega FE).

Also remember Radeon VII has 4 less CUs than Vega FE / Vega 64, but it has a giant wide memory bandwidth and higher clock speeds compared to the previous gen Vega.

nothing change...same config... score drop to 150k ...:( ... it's clear here we have a regress ... 

• Sad 1

Hi all. I'm running a 7700K on Z170X. Successfully installed 10.14.5. Swapped an RX 580 for a Radeon VII but the performance is pretty much the same as the 580. I'm running SMBIOS 18,3. MOBO boots from PCIe but I have Intel Graphics on. VII will not boot unless I have this on. What's the trick to getting the performance from the VII? Are there settings or flags I have to set in Clover config? Thanks. 

UPDATE: I update SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1. All synthetic benchmarks did not change. However, FCPX render to H264 was 2x faster and 4K footage runs very smoothly. Internal Graphics turned off in BIOS to mimic iMacPro.

Oh and Heaven and Valley both crash. Odd that I see everyone posting performance on those.

Edited by PPC
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PPC said:

Hi all. I'm running a 7700K on Z170X. Successfully installed 10.14.5. Swapped an RX 580 for a Radeon VII but the performance is pretty much the same as the 580. I'm running SMBIOS 18,3. MOBO boots from PCIe but I have Intel Graphics on. VII will not boot unless I have this on. What's the trick to getting the performance from the VII? Are there settings or flags I have to set in Clover config? Thanks. 

UPDATE: I update SMBIOS to iMacPro 1,1. All synthetic benchmarks did not change. However, FCPX render to H264 was 2x faster and 4K footage runs very smoothly. Internal Graphics turned off in BIOS to mimic iMacPro.

Oh and Heaven and Valley both crash. Odd that I see everyone posting performance on those.

Performance should be much much faster in R7 than RX580. Even when I went from Vega FE to R7 I noticed a jump between 10-30%. It's just a much better card.

As far as perf benchmarks, there seems to be something wrong with Geekbench...but with Valley I am getting much higher framerates than Vega FE (previous GPU). And FCPX is 11 seconds export for BruceX compared to 16 seconds from Vega Frontier.

4 minutes ago, izo1 said:

Performance should be much much faster in R7 than RX580. Even when I went from Vega FE to R7 I noticed a jump between 10-30%. It's just a much better card.

As far as perf benchmarks, there seems to be something wrong with Geekbench...but with Valley I am getting much higher framerates than Vega FE (previous GPU). And FCPX is 11 seconds export for BruceX compared to 16 seconds from Vega Frontier.

Thanks for your response. What SMBIOS are you using and are you using Internal Graphics ON in the BIOS?

7 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Any Gigabyte X299 with Radeon VII users out there?   Asrock or any other brand than Asus while using a Radeon VII?

I'm thinking about a radeon VII but i'm not fully convinced. At the moment i use a GTX 680 native with Mojave, not so fast but no problems at all with fans etc.

Maybe after june news i will decide to buy a Radeon VII

Okay, I've got Radeon VII running great on 7700K, gig Z170X mobo with 18,3 SMBIOS. All synthetic benchmarks are excellent but offer little to no acceleration in FCPX. Turning headless iGPU off just causes the CPU to all out to compensate with little help from Radeon 7. However, if I use SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1 with iGPU turned off, I get full acceleration from Radeon VII, double that of my RX 580. Is there a way to get FCPX acceleration using 18,3? Thanks.

4 hours ago, PPC said:

Okay, I've got Radeon VII running great on 7700K, gig Z170X mobo with 18,3 SMBIOS. All synthetic benchmarks are excellent but offer little to no acceleration in FCPX. Turning headless iGPU off just causes the CPU to all out to compensate with little help from Radeon 7. However, if I use SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1 with iGPU turned off, I get full acceleration from Radeon VII, double that of my RX 580. Is there a way to get FCPX acceleration using 18,3? Thanks.

Try:

- in Config.plist, Graphics put Inject Intel and ig-platform: 18,3 for your processor (I have 8700k)

- Devices IntelGFX I use 0x3E928086

- Boot: Dart=0 - disablegfxfirmware shikigva=60

- Latest whatevergreen and lily 

- Don't forget in your bios have multimonitor activated.

I duplicate 580 performance with radeon vii

Credits: Maldon in my case

Edited by Picasso

On 5/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, corint1 said:

nothing change...same config... score drop to 150k ...:( ... it's clear here we have a regress ... 

Geekbench is broken, scores are {censored}. Don't give a {censored} about them until Geekbench was updated. Use Luxmark, scores same or even better than Windows. Also gaming performance on macOS is great. Those crappy Geekbench scores aren't represented anywhere in real life so they really don't matter.

JFYI: Vega 56 and Vega 64 suffer from the same issue on Geekbench, yet there has not been any performance loss in real-life use. Actually the opposite is the case with the new drivers.

10.14.6 B1 drivers improved performance even more. With 1100MHz HBM clock Luxmark score now is closer to 54k, Geekbench went up to almost 190k. Dirt 4 runs at a steady 60fps on max settings with 1440p or 93fps on average without Vsync.

Edited by CMMChris
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Picasso said:

Try:

- in Config.plist, Graphics put Inject Intel and ig-platform: 18,3 for your processor (I have 8700k)

- Devices IntelGFX I use 0x3E928086

- Boot: Dart=0 - disablegfxfirmware shikigva=60

- Latest whatevergreen and lily 

- Don't forget in your bios have multimonitor activated.

I duplicate 580 performance with radeon vii

Credits: Maldon in my case

It has been recommended by people smarter than myself that we don't use inject intel or set up the ig-platform in Clover config at all. Others could confirm. This is what I'm now using for the ig-platform and it's working nicely.  https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/#Hacktool

4 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Geekbench is broken, scores are {censored}. Don't give a {censored} about them until Geekbench was updated. Use Luxmark, scores same or even better than Windows. Also gaming performance on macOS is great. Those crappy Geekbench scores aren't represented anywhere in real life so they really don't matter.

JFYI: Vega 56 and Vega 64 suffer from the same issue on Geekbench, yet there has not been any performance loss in real-life use. Actually the opposite is the case with the new drivers.

10.14.6 B1 drivers improved performance even more. With 1100MHz HBM clock Luxmark score now is closer to 54k, Geekbench went up to almost 190k. Dirt 4 runs at a steady 60fps on max settings with 1440p or 93fps on average without Vsync.

Yes, I've heard Geek is broken. Apple's old Galaxy GPU benchmark tool still seems to be working and shows. I will try the 19,1 and 2 SMBIOSes. 18,3 is not expecting a Vega card.

I see no improvements in 10.14.6 B1

Still have:

1) DisplayPort audio glitch

2) Slow speed in benchmark (LuxMark still shows 350Mhz, 50,000 score)

3) Purple lines during boot

Edited by izo1

19 hours ago, PPC said:

It has been recommended by people smarter than myself that we don't use inject intel or set up the ig-platform in Clover config at all. Others could confirm. This is what I'm now using for the ig-platform and it's working nicely.  https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/#Hacktool

Yes, I've heard Geek is broken. Apple's old Galaxy GPU benchmark tool still seems to be working and shows. I will try the 19,1 and 2 SMBIOSes. 18,3 is not expecting a Vega card.

What they reccomend basically is to have the intel hd activated at the same time as the radeon vii, because video acceleration may be so broken, that it will need the intel hd to work properly, but the 19.3 smbios should be good ecause it doesn't require the igpu since in those macs thereisn't any.

8 hours ago, izo1 said:

I see no improvements in 10.14.6 B1

Still have:

1) DisplayPort audio glitch

2) Slow speed in benchmark (LuxMark still shows 350Mhz, 50,000 score)

3) Purple lines during boot

Very likely it uses the same video drivers as 10.14.5 and the changements are elsewere, maybe it will improove in future beta releases

To solve those issues the best way is to find solution via clover config's patches or settings

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

On 5/17/2019 at 1:00 PM, CMMChris said:

Not for me, after updating to 10.14.6 the Geekbench Scores decreased to about 157k (https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/4053639), in 10.14.5 I got around 172k (https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/4035370).

Luxmark Scores stays untouched

17 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

What they reccomend basically is to have the intel hd activated at the same time as the radeon vii, because video acceleration may be so broken, that it will need the intel hd to work properly, but the 19.3 smbios should be good ecause it doesn't require the igpu since in those macs thereisn't any.

Very likely it uses the same video drivers as 10.14.5 and the changements are elsewere, maybe it will improove in future beta releases

To solve those issues the best way is to find solution via clover config's patches or settings

19,2 or 18,3?

Grzie mile

@Chanks 1st: Have you even read my post? Of course your scores are different from mine, I guess you don't know how to overclock the card on macOS. And even if your scores are low: so what?! It doesn't matter! It's just a Geekbench thing, nothing real-life related. No other benchmarks cofirm any slowdowns nor does rendering or gaming performance.

@ITzTravelInTime All 2019 iMacs feature IGPUs and use them for video acceleration. The claim some models use Intel processors without IGPUs is false. The following chips are used: I3-8100, I5-8500, I7-8700, I5-8500, I5-8600, I5-9600K, I9-9900K. Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

Edited by CMMChris

3 hours ago, CMMChris said:

@Chanks 1st: Have you even read my post? Of course your scores are different from mine, I guess you don't know how to overclock the card on macOS. And even if your scores are low: so what?! It doesn't matter! It's just a Geekbench thing, nothing real-life related. No other benchmarks cofirm any slowdowns nor does rendering or gaming performance.

@ITzTravelInTime All 2019 iMacs feature IGPUs and use them for video acceleration. The claim some models use Intel processors without IGPUs is false. The following chips are used: I3-8100, I5-8500, I7-8700, I5-8500, I5-8600, I5-9600K, I9-9900K. Correct choice for all Hackintoshes with Polaris, Vega and Radeon VII cards as of 10.14.5 is IGPU disabled + iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS.

Yes, I‘ve read your post:) And its clearly  Geekbench dosn‘t matter, but the interesting part is, my score decreases after update, while your score seems to be increased. 

9 hours ago, Picasso said:

19,2 or 18,3?

Grzie mile

the rx 580 + i9 imac basically, which should be the imac 19.2, i didn,t knew quite well the specific name of it, but try it

7 hours ago, CMMChris said:

i know that the 19.2 features the version of the SKU without then igpu (like the i9 9900kf), so that's why i think it's a good try at least for polaris users, for vega and radeon vii users i think you are right, but there are still issues for the moment

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

On 5/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, CMMChris said:

iMacPro1,1 + disabled IGPU is the proper way to go with any Vega 56 / 65 / Radeon VII.

I tried your recommendation and everything works fine. FCPX and DaVinci works perfect.

The only thing I see is a software VideoProc H264 ¨unavailable¨. A lilu/weg setting to fix this? thx

373913609_ScreenShot2019-05-20at02_38_24.thumb.png.e1aa8c3a573f0f0aa18d34cb1d82109e.png

Edited by Picasso