AMD Radeon Vii in macOS Mojave 10.14.4 beta

Gigamaxx

242 posts in this topic

well, the acceleration is something odd, the luxmark score is almost same with windows. but if you install unreal engine 4 editor, then the performance of radeon vii is about 1/5 compared to windows.

so I don't know this is a driver problem or the ue4 problem.

15 hours ago, steve3d said:

well, the acceleration is something odd, the luxmark score is almost same with windows. but if you install unreal engine 4 editor, then the performance of radeon vii is about 1/5 compared to windows.

so I don't know this is a driver problem or the ue4 problem.

Geekbench/OpenCL stuff seems to have regressed in this beta too. Hopefully the next release has better performance. 

Metal in DaVinci Resolve is running well. 

31 minutes ago, Beav said:

Geekbench/OpenCL stuff seems to have regressed in this beta too. Hopefully the next release has better performance. 

Metal in DaVinci Resolve is running well. 

Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 10.10.45.png

Hey guys, 

Does anyone else get glitches during the Apple logo load bar (-v is off)

Also anyone have issues with DisplayPort audio being distorted (sometimes it doesn't happen)?

(Both issues in 10.14.5 Beta 2)

Edited by izo1

Hi Guys, Beta 4 on the planet. 

I don't see any change from Beta 3 in performance.

Except Luxmark Benchmark around 50.000 (who cares Benchs) , I don't see too much difference with RX 580 in Resolve and FCPX.

Maybe a Whatevergreen update? I don't know.

Edited by Picasso

On 4/25/2019 at 5:38 PM, meaganmargaret said:

So, in 10.14.4, with the Sapphire Radeon VII, the colors are really off.  Everything is blue.  I tried the fix Gigamax posted, but everything is still blue.

In 10.14.5 Beta 3, Audio is scratchy.

So, the reason I'm running 10.14.4 is because there is some software that won't run on the 10.14.5 beta (it's audio software), and the audio is not good in 10.14.5 anyway.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?  I can live with booting back into 10.14.4 if I could just get the colors fixed......

EDIT:  So, I found out some more about this problem of scratchy audio and I got rid of the "blue" issue.

My Radeon VII was installed on my Asus X299 system.  I had a failure and moved it to my Z370 system, where, there was no scratchy audio.  Audio's great on the Asus Z370-A with the Radeon VII

To me that means either the Radeon VII is not fully compatible with X299 systems or it has issues with the Asus motherboard (this particular model - the Asus X299 Prime Deluxe)

No color issues here with 10.14.5 Beta 3. However I still have "scratchy" audio from the DisplayPort output from the Radeon VII. Drivers definitely seem unfinished and Performance isn't there yet especially with Geekbench (it may be the software's fault). On X299 system as well. I resorted to using Bluetooth on my display and headphones and external speakers for now, but would be nice if the audio wasn't scratchy. For some reason that problem goes away after a while of use, but latest beta made it worst.

Mobo is Prime Deluxe II (pretty much same as Prime Deluxe).

I've tried various SSDTs but it doesn't help. I might try another PCIe port when I have time.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, Picasso said:

Hi Guys, Beta 4 on the planet. 

I don't see any change from Beta 3 in performance.

Except Luxmark Benchmark around 50.000 (who cares Benchs) , I don't see too much difference with RX 580 in Resolve and FCPX.

Maybe a Whatevergreen update? I don't know.

It's still Beta. Everyone here and other forums should use the Feedback Assistant and keep reporting to Apple about GPU issues and they will fix it most likely. (I recommend not adding the logs when asked for attachments, but send them screenshots if you can).

I am pretty sure they want to make Radeon VII perform well, they have an internal team that all used to work at AMD and the Metal framework was written by ex-AMD employees.

Geekbench most likely needs a software update. Luxmark definitely shows the correct (or close to) real life performance gains over Vega 64.

There's definitely some issues with OpenCL performance in macOS + Radeon VII, I have noticed a system freeze when 2 programs that use the GPU at the same time try to steal resources from one another. It's definitely a beta issue.

Also remember in 10.15 (coming out this year) OpenCL/OpenGL will be gone...so it will be completely Metal, so I assume they are still making changes to accommodate this to help with the transition to 10.15.

Regarding your FCPX experience, I ran BruceX during when I had Radeon Frontier (same as Vega64 but with more VRAM) and it took 16 seconds to complete. With Radeon VII it took 10-11 seconds, so there's definitely a jump in performance.

Edited by izo1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, meaganmargaret said:

Well, I see you have an Asus X299 Sage with a MSI Radeon VII.   

I returned my Sapphire Radeon VII, and have ordered a MSI Radeon VII.   That will mean soon I will have an Asus x299 Prime Deluxe with a MSI Radeon VII.  We'll see if the MSI makes any difference.  I see that the audio chipset on your motherboard is the same as my X299 P Deluxe (S1220A), so maybe the MSI will make a difference....

But I'm thinking the issue is the X299 Prime Deluxe.   After all, the Sapphire Radeon VII performed with no audio issues whatsoever when it was in the Z370 system, so we'll see......

Well, my issue is distortion thorough the DisplayPort audio on my monitor. Radeon VII > DisplayPort output > Audio Speaker on monitor. I am forced to use the BT speaker that's built into the LG 38" Ultrawide. The onboard audio is not being used here.

This distortion doesn't happen in Windows 10.

20 hours ago, DSM2 said:

No audio distortions at all. 

Are you using DisplayPort audio out or Line Out from onboard soundcard?

Edited by izo1

21 minutes ago, meaganmargaret said:

So, @izo1, I hope you understand my previous comments (regarding the fact that I referenced his Asus Sage) were directed to @DSM2.

I received the MSI Radeon VII, and there's no change, still scratchy audio on the audio from the monitor (Display Port connection). 

A few more details:  the internal speaker out, which used to work, no longer does, and the first Line Out port, which also used to work, no longer does.  However, the second of the two Line Out connections, with speakers connected, works pretty well.  This suggests to me that the issue may be that we (hackintosh users) need updates to AppleALC and Whatevergreen/Lilu.  The interference for the DP/Monitor audio connection should not, in my view, translate to disabling the other Output ports on the computer.  Unless, of course, there is a need for an update to the audio drivers, either from Apple, or from AppleALC, which, based on my experience so far, suggests that needs to happen.

I did try all of the device settings for the S1220A (1,2,5,7).  I also don't experience the issue in Windows, nor did I experience it when I had a Radeon VII in the Z370 system.

Yeah I know, I am just trying to figure this out as well. It may be motherboard related...but there might be some type of fix if we can figure it out. If I'm forced to get the Sage 10 and replace the Prime Deluxe II, I will.

The Radeon VII all use the AMD reference design, there is no special card out there like there was with Vega 56/64. They're basically all the same.

I'm going to try some tests tomorrow without AppleALC and WG installed and see if the audio issue is fixed.

Edited by izo1

Radeon VII arrived and working well. No AGDP patch or Whatevergreen needed. PowerPlayTable modding is working as well. Did a 970mV UV and with that Dirt 4 runs at 1440p with max settings at stable 60fps (Vsync) with barely audible fans.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-06 um 14.05.33 PM.png

Edit:

Gaming Performance
(recorded with Quick Time)

Benchmarks

BruceX.thumb.png.c00c3ee9d67cb452c0f653fcd5e1748c.pngencoding.thumb.png.1ea12f761afb21f0ae16be42bf89c56b.pnggeekbench.thumb.png.7e489082f46a6702f2f3828072317875.pnggfxbench.thumb.png.44cfa63ab6077bd3e1fcd5e613f50827.pngheaven.thumb.png.b85566ab2c859ba55487009a993d605c.pngindigobench.thumb.png.c73d1172933c92866c9e2a6114d83602.pngluxmark.thumb.png.786958896429a6ad3fe166ca7a09f585.pngvalley.thumb.png.d935226d3f51e31064e66e869d71322e.png

Edited by CMMChris
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, CMMChris said:

Radeon VII arrived and working well. No AGDP patch or Whatevergreen needed. PowerPlayTable modding is working as well. Did a 970mV UV and with that Dirt 4 runs at 1440p with max settings at stable 60fps (Vsync) with barely audible fans.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-06 um 14.05.33 PM.png

Edit:

Gaming Performance
(recorded with Quick Time)

Benchmarks

BruceX.thumb.png.c00c3ee9d67cb452c0f653fcd5e1748c.pngencoding.thumb.png.1ea12f761afb21f0ae16be42bf89c56b.pnggeekbench.thumb.png.7e489082f46a6702f2f3828072317875.pnggfxbench.thumb.png.44cfa63ab6077bd3e1fcd5e613f50827.pngheaven.thumb.png.b85566ab2c859ba55487009a993d605c.pngindigobench.thumb.png.c73d1172933c92866c9e2a6114d83602.pngluxmark.thumb.png.786958896429a6ad3fe166ca7a09f585.pngvalley.thumb.png.d935226d3f51e31064e66e869d71322e.png

If you want to see Radeon VII temps in 10.14.5 Beta X, you can use this attached modified FakeSMC along with the sensor kexts. Works great in iStat Menu and GPU temps will also show in Valley/Heaven benchmarks, or other apps that can show GPU temp.

Credit goes to @KGP-iMacPro

RadeonVII_FakeSMC_Package.zip

I have pretty similar results as you especially in OpenCL/Geekbench and Luxmark. I do think we should be seeing more than 200,000 score for Geekbench, though. I am only at 169k. Although I am not messing with power tables, but am watercooled.

1241910691_ScreenShot2019-05-01at7_06_10PM.png.12617c77885d363960e12b76c6079667.png

1460174449_ScreenShot2019-04-29at1_53_29PM.png.6ff2f950e52381e2e6e0460e46e42057.png

I also get a glitch right before the Apple load bar finishes. Not sure if anyone else gets this.

1702678007_ScreenShot2019-05-06at7_26_34PM.thumb.png.3741630919e05ef142dfc15aae835abf.png

GPU is being heavily used where appropriate, but I don't think the drivers are there yet unfortunately...or maybe this is how it's supposed to be?

1151351775_ScreenShot2019-04-27at6_19_17AM.thumb.png.814faaee865e05696e2d9c1b6d355cf8.png

Edited by izo1
  • Like 1

These glitches are normal and affect most AMD cards with the beta drivers. Just a cosmetic issue, nothing to worry about. Your benchmark scores are slightly lower than mine for some reason. I ran my benchmarks at stock settings, same applies to the Vega 64 benchmarks. Geekbench currently is inaccurate, don't give a {censored} about it. I also believe that the Windows version of Geekbench has issues too. It scores 200,000 in Windows, which is the same as a Vega 64. This just can't be right since all other benchmarks scale very well.

That being said, the macOS drivers for the Radeon VII are great already and better than the Vega 64 / 56 drivers. In general, Vega 56 / 64 cards run slower on macOS when it comes to OpenCL performance. The Radeon VII however scores exactly the same as on Windows here on my machine which is good to see.

• Like 1

New update 10.14.5 Beta (18F131a)

- Better playback in Resolve 

- Fast exporting FCPX Bruce X 30% 

- Same Luxmark around 50000

- Cinebench Open GL same as 580 Pulse

- GeekBench same as before.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CMMChris said:

These glitches are normal and affect most AMD cards with the beta drivers. Just a cosmetic issue, nothing to worry about. Your benchmark scores are slightly lower than mine for some reason. I ran my benchmarks at stock settings, same applies to the Vega 64 benchmarks. Geekbench currently is inaccurate, don't give a {censored} about it. I also believe that the Windows version of Geekbench has issues too. It scores 200,000 in Windows, which is the same as a Vega 64. This just can't be right since all other benchmarks scale very well.

That being said, the macOS drivers for the Radeon VII are great already and better than the Vega 64 / 56 drivers. In general, Vega 56 / 64 cards run slower on macOS when it comes to OpenCL performance. The Radeon VII however scores exactly the same as on Windows here on my machine which is good to see.

Yeah I haven't had any major issues except DisplayPort audio distortion...otherwise R7 has been pretty solid for me.

OpenCL & OpenGL will be gone by 10.15 in favor of Metal this year anyway, so wouldn't worry about it too much. It's going to force all developers like Adobe, Black Magic Design, etc. to move to Metal 2.

Edited by izo1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Picasso said:

Someone checking GPU temps? Please share method. Thanks

Check here:

19 hours ago, izo1 said:

If you want to see Radeon VII temps in 10.14.5 Beta X, you can use this attached modified FakeSMC along with the sensor kexts. Works great in iStat Menu and GPU temps will also show in Valley/Heaven benchmarks, or other apps that can show GPU temp.

Credit goes to @KGP-iMacPro

RadeonVII_FakeSMC_Package.zip

It will show the GPU Die temp in iStat Menu (or for example Heaven/Valley benchmarks) but not the HotSpot. AMD has added a lot of new sensors to the Radeon VII compared to Vega.

Edited by izo1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wackymac said:

this thread makes me upset i own a vega frontier :(

Why? I sold my Vega FE and bought a Radeon VII :)

Only ~$250 difference (+Waterblock of course). Worth the upgrade for me (I can play 4k games easily at high framerates) and it does better in certain applications.

Also if you want you can sell the games it comes with on eBay and save some more. I'm not sure about EU prices though, this is for USA only.

To me Radeon VII is what Vega 64/FE should have been. I wasn't super happy with Vega FE performance, but I am extremely happy with Radeon VII. It should last for a couple of years.

Edited by izo1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, izo1 said:

OpenCL & OpenGL will be gone by 10.15 in favor of Metal

That's not true. Its status is deprecated but still included.

Edited by CMMChris

10 hours ago, izo1 said:

Why? I sold my Vega FE and bought a Radeon VII :)

Only ~$250 difference (+Waterblock of course). Worth the upgrade for me (I can play 4k games easily at high framerates) and it does better in certain applications.

Also if you want you can sell the games it comes with on eBay and save some more. I'm not sure about EU prices though, this is for USA only.

To me Radeon VII is what Vega 64/FE should have been. I wasn't super happy with Vega FE performance, but I am extremely happy with Radeon VII. It should last for a couple of years.

yeah im disappointed in the performance. but i have the custom waterblock on mine which im sure will make it impossible to sell.

4 hours ago, CMMChris said:

That's not true. Its status is deprecated but still included.

Do you know what software deprecation means? OpenCL/OpenGL has been deprecated since Mojave.

It means it will not be updated at all with latest stable releases of OpenCL/OpenGL and will disappear very soon.

Any developer not moving to Metal by 10.15 will be staying behind. 10.14 was a warning, 10.15 will be a smack in the head by Apple just like it was with Rosetta. And 32bit software support will be gone too.

OpenGL is being replaced by Vulkan anyway...

You can get into the technicalities that they will still be included in 10.15, but the point is it's EOL (End of Life). Adobe will most likely completely remove OpenCL from their menus mid cycle of 10.15.

2 hours ago, Wackymac said:

yeah im disappointed in the performance. but i have the custom waterblock on mine which im sure will make it impossible to sell.

Just put the original shroud back on and sell it. That's what I did.

Edited by izo1
  • Like 1

10.14.5 has been released.

no improvement for the radeon 7....
on the contrary seems to be a regress
big trick ... amd has "done" it this time ... their luck as the nvidia came out of the grace of apple

Edited by corint1