Screen flashes white for a second during boot

unixb0y

195 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed with IGPU only at the same boot point the multiple apples on the screen?   This is with rudimentary device ID and ig platform settings.   I uploaded an EFI from someone with a similar laptop as mine and it got rid of that.   I’m trying to remove items one at a time to narrow it down to what fixed it, but I believe it is in the kexts to patch area or add properties.   Removing the SSDTs didn’t have an effect.   Maybe we need a patch for the initialization point to smooth it out.   The problem is to figure out what to patch?

I think what your referring too is the boot screen glitch, multiple distorted apples. I believe that’s just iGPU thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

I think what your referring too is the boot screen glitch, multiple distorted apples. I believe that’s just iGPU thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but it is at the same initializaion stage as the RX cards.   

1 hour ago, Gigamaxx said:

Yes, but it is at the same initializaion stage as the RX cards.   

That's actually a good point... Now, while the patch might be different, the idea might be the same. We just don't know what to look for and what to replace with.

Too bad I don't actually have any issues with the iGPU. :)) No glitches.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

I actually had multiple Apples when I added a second monitor! Now they're gone but still the boot screen / Apple logo (which shows on HDMI output 1 of the GPU) looks stretched horizontally. When I detach the second, smaller / different res monitor, the Apple logo looks fine..

21 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

I actually had multiple Apples when I added a second monitor! Now they're gone but still the boot screen / Apple logo (which shows on HDMI output 1 of the GPU) looks stretched horizontally. When I detach the second, smaller / different res monitor, the Apple logo looks fine..

CSM disabled in BIOS? Resolution set in Clover config -> GUI? I personally don't have a second monitor. So...no issues here. Well, aside from the one that makes the main topic of this thread. :) But other than that, everything works fine.

Also, do your fans stop after that flash...? Cause it's like fans are spinning on boot, then immediately after the flash, they stop. Could be perfectly normal. But still, a bit weird.

Edited by arsradu

3 hours ago, arsradu said:

CSM disabled in BIOS? Resolution set in Clover config -> GUI? I personally don't have a second monitor. So...no issues here. Well, aside from the one that makes the main topic of this thread. :) But other than that, everything works fine.

Also, do your fans stop after that flash...? Cause it's like fans are spinning on boot, then immediately after the flash, they stop. Could be perfectly normal. But still, a bit weird.

My RX 480 is a reference card and the fan does the same but with a Whooosh!  The first time I heard it was in Sierra beta a couple of years ago.   It pleased me because I knew I finally had acceleration in macOS.   My RX 460 did the same about a month earlier so I knew it was a good sign.   These cards don't do it in Windows it seems to be an Apple issue but when it doesn't do it there is no acceleration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

My RX 480 is a reference card and the fan does the same but with a Whooosh!  The first time I heard it was in Sierra beta a couple of years ago.   It pleased me because I knew I finally had acceleration in macOS.   My RX 460 did the same about a month earlier so I knew it was a good sign.   These cards don't do it in Windows it seems to be an Apple issue but when it doesn't do it there is no acceleration.

I think I know what you mean by that "whoosh". Mine does it with Windows, as well. The only thing that doesn't do with Windows is that flash.

15 hours ago, arsradu said:

I don't think I've touched any "CSM" setting, thanks for the hint! In Clover the resolution is 1920x1080 which should be correct.

Yes, they do stop and like Gigamaxx said, they ramp up to 100% for a second basically in sync with the white flash making a "whoosh" sound:

11 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

1 hour ago, unixb0y said:

I don't think I've touched any "CSM" setting, thanks for the hint! In Clover the resolution is 1920x1080 which should be correct.

Yes, they do stop and like Gigamaxx said, they ramp up to 100% for a second basically in sync with the white flash making a "whoosh" sound:

Yeah, CSM (or Compatibility Support Module) needs to be Disabled in BIOS. Usually that setting is under "Windows 8/10 options" or something like that, since those should support UEFI booting by default. For Windows 7 and earlier, you need it Enabled, since those are using Legacy booting.

Depends on the motherboard. But most UEFI motherboards should have it, under one name or another.

Edited by arsradu

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, bogascorp said:

I have a Shaphire Pulse RX580 8GB and I don't get that flash or the fan speed burst. Does it cover the entire screen the white?

Hey! Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

So...are you sure you don't have that screen flash upon startup? Cause...although I know there are SOME people who don't (including myself at times), I've never managed to find out what's different in their case. If you really don't have this issue, would you be willing to help us debug it a little further to see what's different and why does it work for you, but doesn't work for the rest of us?

And, to answer your question,well, no.. I mean, sometimes. Usually, it doesn't cover the entire screen. Most of the times it's only on the lower part of the screen. But sometimes, it does cover the entire screen (or most of it anyway). And sometimes I myself don't have any flash at all. That's the annoying part. You know it CAN be without a flash. You just don't know what the hell makes it work perfectly fine when it does.

I'm referring to this issue below .

Could you record your screen as well? I find it really strange (though I'm happy for you) that you don't have this issue, even with the exact same graphics card... Something has to be different.

I suspect this happens when the framebuffer you have selected kicks in.

If you have correct FB, the flash may not be as bad.

This will also happen at the same spot when you get no signal or black screen.

NOT right FB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

I suspect this happens when the framebuffer you have selected kicks in.

If you have correct FB, the flash may not be as bad.

This will also happen at the same spot when you get no signal or black screen.

NOT right FB.

I suspected so, too... But....I have no custom framebuffer selected. It seems to be using the default AMD,RadeonFramebuffer right now. And Orinoco, which is probably the most appropriate one for this card, has the same result.

Which other FB would you suggest...? Or...how do we find out which one should be used for this case? As I said, for as far as I could see, Orinoco seems to be the only compatible one, due to the ports layout. But I'm open to suggestions. :D 

4 hours ago, bogascorp said:

Ok, So I do have that little bit of white flash right before the screen resolution changes. I almost don't see it and it doesn't bother me because that's when the resolution changes.

But yes I do have it on the lower part of the screen.

Even when the resolution doesn't change, that flash is still there...unfortunately. What bothers me the most is the fact that it's inconsistent. Sometimes it works with absolutely no flash whatsoever. Other times, it fills almost the entire screen. Whatever causes this, is random as hell. And I'm most interested in what happens when the issue does NOT occur. Again. It's not like it's only a small strip at the bottom of the display. There's no flash at all. Same computer, same everything. One time works perfectly fine, the other one it doesn't. If it was occurring 100% of the times, I would say: you know what, that's just the way it is. But it doesn't! It's not always like that. Which means that it has the potential to work perfectly. It just, 99.9% of the times it decides not to...for whatever reason. :))

I know, I know. It's a small issue. I've heard that way too many times. :)) But let me ask you something: if you knew your computer had the ability of running everything perfectly fine, every time, on every boot, not just once in a blue moon, wouldn't you at least try to achieve that? Cause I would.

Yeah, you can call me crazy if you want. :)) I don't care. I just want to at least understand what's happening in this case (both when it works and when it doesn't), if I can't actually fix it. Everything starts with understanding the cause of the problem. After that, you can assess if it can be fixed or not, and how, based on that.

• Like 4

On 11/6/2018 at 12:15 AM, arsradu said:

I suspected so, too... But....I have no custom framebuffer selected. It seems to be using the default AMD,RadeonFramebuffer right now. And Orinoco, which is probably the most appropriate one for this card, has the same result.

Which other FB would you suggest...? Or...how do we find out which one should be used for this case? As I said, for as far as I could see, Orinoco seems to be the only compatible one, due to the ports layout. But I'm open to suggestions. :D 

Here's a list of the current 9500controllerkext Polaris card framebuffers.   Some are for RX 460-560.

RX 500 framebuffers.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gigamaxx said:

Here's a list of the current 9500controllerkext Polaris card framebuffers.   Some are for RX 460-560.

RX 500 framebuffers.png

Thanks! Did any of these work for you? :)

Cause I've got the following results: all of them flash, some of them boot, most of them don't.

The only ones that allowed me to boot were:

• Dayman
  • Guariba
  • Orinoco
  • Yelcho

All the other ones were losing signal on second stage boot (boot to black screen).

Edited by arsradu

This problem happening for me since Mountain Lion. Back then I was using GTX 650. 6 years I am looking for a solution to this problem. I don't know how many things I tried but still didn't find a solution. I bought RX 560 last year and this problem still continue. But I know this is the totally OS/GPU related problem. Back then when I have GTX650, just for test, I installed Lion and there is no any second stage flash thing.

1 hour ago, telepati said:

This problem happening for me since Mountain Lion. Back then I was using GTX 650. 6 years I am looking for a solution to this problem. I don't know how many things I tried but still didn't find a solution. I bought RX 560 last year and this problem still continue. But I know this is the totally OS/GPU related problem. Back then when I have GTX650, just for test, I installed Lion and there is no any second stage flash thing.

I had a GTX 650 (from MSi). Never had such issues with that one. :)) But I never tried Mountain Lion... And starting with Mevericks, I never had such issue. So....maybe this is something all the way from Mountain Lion...? Damn, that's a looong way back.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I had a GTX 650 (from MSi). Never had such issues with that one. :)) But I never tried Mountain Lion... And starting with Mevericks, I never had such issue. So....maybe this is something all the way from Mountain Lion...? Damn, that's a looong way back.

This is the most hated problem for me in Hackintosh. I really hated. Super annoying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know, old post but an RX 560 and an RX 580 does the same under Mojave (the RX 560 did it too in Sierra).

I also have some really rare small flickering at wake-up on the HDMI out of my RX 580. Tried with another DVI to HDMI cable: same thing.

However, it happened less than ten times since my Mojave install in December. Prior, with the RX 560, it was a "snowy" background for less than a second sometimes at wake up.

I hope the next 10.14.3 will improve those little glitches...

37 minutes ago, brousseau6933 said:

I know, old post but an RX 560 and an RX 580 does the same under Mojave (the RX 560 did it too in Sierra).

I also have some really rare small flickering at wake-up on the HDMI out of my RX 580. Tried with another DVI to HDMI cable: same thing.

However, it happened less than ten times since my Mojave install in December. Prior, with the RX 560, it was a "snowy" background for less than a second sometimes at wake up.

I hope the next 10.14.3 will improve those little glitches...

This is normal for hacks with RX cards.

7 hours ago, brousseau6933 said:

Even the rare flickering on DVI to HDMI when waking up from sleep?

Never encountered that on my RX 580.

Could be the cable or...one of your kexts. Are you using WEG kext? If not, you could try it. See if it improves anything.