Screen flashes white for a second during boot

unixb0y

195 posts in this topic

Like the title says, my screen behaves a little bit weird.

I start the machine, all fans turn on and macOS boots with the loading bar. When it's at roughly 90%, my graphics card (Sapphire RX580 Nitro+) ramps the fans up for a second while simultaneously the screen goes white. Then the screen immediately returns back to the loading screen with the GPU fans going to 0 RPM at the exact same time. The short timeframe where the screen is white and the GPU at 100% fan RPM is merely a flicker, but it's not pleasing to look at every time, because it gives me the feeling "something's not right" :D

I would really like to know if anyone had this issue before and how to fix it, if possible.

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Hello again. I have this bright flash as well also with a sapphire nitro+ rx580 8gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s very interesting! I reckon you’re hackintosh-ing for longer than me - so was this behaviour present with an earlier macOS release as well? I only have a MBP on 10.13 that doesn’t do it, so maybe it’s just simply the macOS 10.14? 

15 hours ago, Donw35 said:

My fans Rev up too but no black screen, Using WhatEverGreen and Lilu 

What happens if you don’t use WhateverGreen?

What happens if you don’t use WhateverGreen?

It’s only started since 10.14 I think, I’ve also only recently switched to AMD graphics so it could be that as well. I haven’t tried without WEG I’ll do that when I can and report.

2 hours ago, Donw35 said:

without WhateverGreen I do not get all my DP ports witch I need for my 2 4k Monitors, I am still working on random freezing issues as well. 

I see, interesting!

5 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

It’s only started since 10.14 I think, I’ve also only recently switched to AMD graphics so it could be that as well. I haven’t tried without WEG I’ll do that when I can and report.

Okay, that's very good to know. Do you have the possibility to try the same card on 10.13? If it's the OS, I suspect 'real' iMacs might face the same issue, though I haven't really found anything on the web.

It would be cool if Apple fixes this 'for us' with 10.14.1 or 10.14.0.1 (whatever the next update will be) :D

What all of you are experiencing is the UI login flash that is known issue for a long time with AMD GPUs, basically what is happening is the GOP has control of the GPU until the OS takes over, once that happens the GOP deinitalizes and the OS initialize the GPU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pavo said:

What all of you are experiencing is the UI login flash that is known issue for a long time with AMD GPUs, basically what is happening is the GOP has control of the GPU until the OS takes over, once that happens the GOP deinitalizes and the OS initialize the GPU.

Is there anything known to fix this? Do iMacs with AMD GPUs (e.g. the RX580) do the same thing?

12 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

Is there anything known to fix this? Do iMacs with AMD GPUs (e.g. the RX580) do the same thing?

You can try adding this bootarg igfxrst=1, its for when using WEG

igfxrst=1 to prefer drawing Apple logo at 2nd boot stage instead of framebuffer copying.

Dunno if it works though. I have Vega 64 that doesn't have the flash issue but when I had a RX 580 it flashed.

13 minutes ago, Pavo said:

You can try adding this bootarg igfxrst=1, its for when using WEG

igfxrst=1 to prefer drawing Apple logo at 2nd boot stage instead of framebuffer copying.

Dunno if it works though. I have Vega 64 that doesn't have the flash issue but when I had a RX 580 it flashed.

Add that to the "custom flags" section under Boot → arguments?

16 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Yes

Will test now!

Result: It did "something", I can't really explain what but the flash is still there, while maybe a bit better. I think it only flashed the bottom part of the screen.

I just tried something else: In the BIOS, I set the graphics from "Auto" to "PCIE" just to be sure that it doesn't like, use the Intel graphics for boot and switches right before login. Unfortunately, this was not the case and the flicker is still there.

Edited by unixb0y

On 10/14/2018 at 4:44 AM, SavageAUS said:

Not a black screen but a bright white flash.

Is this what you mean? Cause I've got the exact same issue ever since I bought the RX 580. 

Things I've noticed so far:

1. it doesn't always happen. But it does happen A LOT!

2. I'm not sure if it's from the monitor or something else (maybe FreeSync...though it seems unlikely), but it doesn't seem to happen to other people with RX 580! So I'm not sure it's the card either!

3. It's unrelated to WEG and such.

update: also, this occurs with HDMI/DVI/DP.

This is driving me crazy!

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

Is this what you mean? Cause I've got the exact same issue ever since I bought the RX 580. 

Things I've noticed so far:
1. it doesn't always happen. But it does happen A LOT!
2. I'm not sure if it's from the monitor or something else (maybe FreeSync...though it seems unlikely), but it doesn't seem to happen to other people with RX 580! So I'm not sure it's the card either!
3. It's unrelated to WEG and such.

This is driving me crazy!

Yes that’s the same issue we’re all seeing with RX 580

1 minute ago, SavageAUS said:

I’m not using a freesync monitor no.

Me neither... That's why I'm wondering if this isn't somehow a FreeSync/refresh rate/monitor issue. 

Edited by arsradu

Just now, SavageAUS said:

Hopefully other with the same issue will comment if they have one or not.

Thing is...it also seems to occur with Nvidia cards (like the 1070) and it also occurs with older AMD cards like the 7790 and R9 270x, which don't have FreeSync... They might have other kind of "sync" but...yeah... I'm wondering if this is somehow related.

I've had an old GTX 650 for years, with a GOP VBIOS, and never had this issue. So...it could be BIOS related...though I don't know of any newer BIOS to try at the moment (I'm using the Sapphire RX 580 8GB) or monitor related (but for this, we would need someone with a FreeSync enabled monitor to confirm)

On 10/14/2018 at 3:58 AM, unixb0y said:

Like the title says, my screen behaves a little bit weird.

I start the machine, all fans turn on and macOS boots with the loading bar. When it's at roughly 90%, my graphics card (Sapphire RX580 Nitro+) ramps the fans up for a second while simultaneously the screen goes white. Then the screen immediately returns back to the loading screen with the GPU fans going to 0 RPM at the exact same time. The short timeframe where the screen is white and the GPU at 100% fan RPM is merely a flicker, but it's not pleasing to look at every time, because it gives me the feeling "something's not right" :D

I would really like to know if anyone had this issue before and how to fix it, if possible.

Thank you in advance!

Do you have a FreeSync monitor? Can you borrow one for testing?

Mine does it, I didn't notice nor did it bother me until I read this thread, I can live with it though. I only boot up once or twice a week, my system stays on all the time and sleeps during the night.

52 minutes ago, Donw35 said:

Mine does it, I didn't notice nor did it bother me until I read this thread, I can live with it though. I only boot up once or twice a week, my system stays on all the time and sleeps during the night.

Thanks! Do you have a FreeSync monitor?