Screen flashes white for a second during boot

unixb0y

195 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

@arsradu How's the current Catalina version doing wrt. the screen flash? I now have Catalina on my MBP but don't really wanna update my Hackintosh since I prefer Mojave. All those popup messages for permissions, having to do `mount -uw /` all the time and stuff like that always gets in the way when working on my computer and I prefer not to have all those messages.. :)

Everything great wrt. the screen flashing. :) No issues anymore starting with 10.15.4. I'm on 10.15.5 right now, with no issues whatsoever. 

I totally understand what you mean with those pop-ups. They're supposed to give you more security and control but it starts to look like Windows, and that's not good. Sometimes I'm thinking to downgrade back to Mojave.

Edited by arsradu

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Everything great wrt. the screen flashing. :) No issues anymore starting with 10.15.4. I'm on 10.15.5 right now, with no issues whatsoever. 

I totally understand what you mean with those pop-ups. They're supposed to give you more security and control but it start to look like Windows, and that's not good. Sometimes I'm thinking to downgrade back to Mojave.

Awesome to hear, I'll keep that in mind! I gotta say though, I'll have to check again, maybe I got accustomed, but I think it's gone on my system. Maybe they silently patched the issue with a minor Mojave update as well? I'm not sure right now.

Do the popups stop coming when you've "gone through" all of them once maybe? ^^

Now that you mention it, that really was something that bothered me with Windows: popups, popups, popups :D Windows defender, Antivirus, Update notifier, and really for every {censored} you get a notification that pulls your attention.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

Awesome to hear, I'll keep that in mind! I gotta say though, I'll have to check again, maybe I got accustomed, but I think it's gone on my system. Maybe they silently patched the issue with a minor Mojave update as well? I'm not sure right now.

Do the popups stop coming when you've "gone through" all of them once maybe? ^^

Now that you mention it, that really was something that bothered me with Windows: popups, popups, popups :D Windows defender, Antivirus, Update notifier, and really for every {censored} you get a notification that pulls your attention.

I haven't tested Mojave so...I don't know. It could be that they fixed it there, too. After all, the issue was on the OS side.

The pop-ups stop once you get them all sorted out. So yeah, it's not gonna bother you every single time.

Edited by arsradu
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, arsradu said:

I haven't tested Mojave so...I don't know. It could be that they fixed it there, too. After all, the issue was on the OS side.

The pop-ups stop once you get them all sorted out. So yeah, it's not gonna bother you every single time.

So if you don't get any popups due to clicking them all away once, what else is bothering you on Catalina? I think I could put a `mount -uw /` in .bashrc or .zshrc right :huh:

9 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

So if you don't get any popups due to clicking them all away once, what else is bothering you on Catalina? I think I could put a `mount -uw /` in .bashrc or .zshrc right :huh:

Well, I don't need to mount system r/w that often. So...I don't mind it that much.

For as far as I understood, FCPX has some issues encoding/decoding with the dGPU. If you don't use FCPX, no problem. I don't really use it. Just mentioned it in case you do. And there's an annoying bug with the lockscreen wallpaper when you use a custom wallpaper on your Desktop. If it's not one of the default ones, it's not kept on the lockscreen, when you boot your computer the first time. So you're gonna have the Catalina island on the lockscreen and whatever custom wallpaper you set when you reach the Desktop. Which doesn't give you a consistent experience. When you lock the screen yourself, it's fine. That was fixed and broken on and off for sooo many times. And it also occurs on real Macs. Luckily it can be fixed by setting it with a program called OnyX. So...other than that, I haven't really had any issues myself with Catalina in particular.

Edited by arsradu
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Well, I don't need to mount system r/w that often. So...I don't mind it that much.

For as far as I understood, FCPX has some issues encoding/decoding with the dGPU. If you don't use FCPX, no problem. I don't really use it. Just mentioned it in case you do. And there's an annoying bug with the wallpaper you set on your desktop. If it's not one of the default ones, it's not kept on the lockscreen, when you boot your computer the first time. When you lock the screen yourself, it's fine. That was fixed and broken on and off for sooo many times. And it also occurs on real Macs. Luckily it can be fixed by setting it with a program called OnyX. So...other than that, I haven't really had any issues myself with Catalina in particular.

Good to know, but I don't video edit :D Yeah, the wallpaper thing has always been there, real mac or Hackintosh. There are always guides that you can easily find, like put the image in a specific folder, give it a specific name and stuff like that.

• Like 1

Hey guys, how's it going?

I really rather to have a flashing while system boots rather than having all the nonsense that Catalina's about. I don't like it, not one bit and I never upgraded my main rig to Catalina because you know ... lol

So there's another stupid issue like the double Dock when you reboot or shutdown the system (which seems to be fixed in 10.15.5) and once you decide to do so the dock disappears and reappears which is really annoying and it reminds me of older versions of windows when explorer.exe was crashing and reopening after the crash.

So in conclusion a flashing screen on boot is not a bug compared to Catalina (I believe it's the BUG's code name) :hysterical:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Hey guys, how's it going?

I really rather to have a flashing while system boots rather than having all the nonsense that Catalina's about. I don't like it, not one bit and I never upgraded my main rig to Catalina because you know ... lol

So there's another stupid issue like the double Dock when you reboot or shutdown the system (which seems to be fixed in 10.15.5) and once you decide to do so the dock disappears and reappears which is really annoying and it reminds me of older versions of windows when explorer.exe was crashing and reopening after the crash.

So in conclusion a flashing screen on boot is not a bug compared to Catalina (I believe it's the BUG's code name) :hysterical:

Yeah I guess I'm staying on Catalina on my Hackintosh as well for now hahaha. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cyberdevs said:

You mean Mojave? :D 

Ooooops yes hahaha all those names got mixed up I guess :hysterical:

• Haha 1

Hi all

I install all beta 10.15.4 and beta 10.15.5 on my hack from signature and do not see positive changes for screen behavior during macOS boot...

After reading this topic I still don't understand - is this issue fixed or not, fixed only on real Mac, do not fixed at all, fixed only for specific video cards model or specific Mac model or specific SMBIOS(hack model)? 

Maybe I missed some solution to fix?

Thank you and sorry my English(translated by google).

Edited by yapan4

Maybe the issue you're having is different from the one mentioned in this thread? What is the issue you're experiencing?

The screen flashing was fixed, it was only on hacks (for as far as I know), and ...could be only for specific hardware. I don't know. For example I can confirm for RX 580. But you seem to have a Radeon Pro WX4100. So...maybe they didn't fix it for all...? SMBIOS doesn't seem to make any difference in my experience.

Edited by arsradu

Hi, @arsradu

It would be better to make a video but for now I will try to describe ...
...my video card - WX4100 is analogous to RX460 and probably behaves the same or similar to other video cards in this family.
So:
Without WG +Lilu and any other fixes I see a white apple with a progress bar, about half of the boot process pink lines slip and the screen goes out for 8-12 seconds (probably turns off the monitor power) then a white apple appears again with a progress bar and loading continues until desktop.
With WG + Lilu the monitor goes out at half load for a shorter time
(4-7sec) and no pink lines. I have two Apple Led Cinema Displays that do not have a power indicator, but probably with WG + Lilu the monitor's power is not turned off and the screen just stays black until a second white apple appears with a progress bar.

Maybe I'm making something up, and that's normal behavior. But I would like to see a continuous process of loading macos with single white apple and a progress bar from the clover to the desktop:D

Edited by yapan4

11 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

Hi, @arsradu

It would be better to make a video but for now I will try to describe ...
...my video card - WX4100 is analogous to RX460 and probably behaves the same or similar to other video cards in this family.
So:
Without WG +Lilu and any other fixes I see a white apple with a progress bar, about half of the boot process pink lines slip and the screen goes out for 8-12 seconds (probably turns off the monitor power) then a white apple appears again with a progress bar and loading continues until desktop.
With VG + Lilu the monitor goes out at half load for a shorter time
(4-7sec) and no pink lines. I have two Apple Led Cinema Displays that do not have a power indicator, but probably with WG + Lilu the monitor's power is not turned off and the screen just stays black until a second white apple appears with a progress bar.

Maybe I'm making something up, and that's normal behavior. But I would like to see a continuous process of loading macos with single white apple and a progress bar from the clover to the desktop:D

Yeah, sadly that is different from the issue covered in this thread. And ...to some extent, yeah, that is normal.

I don't think it turns off the monitor (I don't know if you can do that...since monitor controls are on the monitor itself, not MacOS), otherwise it would not be backlit anymore (but it is, it's just a black screen).

Pink lines occur without WEG (it's a memory testing thing). And will not occur with WEG, because WEG contains a fix for it.

So...yeah, I don't know of anyone being able to fix that gap in between first and second stage boot. And if I'm not mistaken, some older Macs have it, too.

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

Thank you, @arsradu, this is a comprehensive answer.
You can still see what it looks like on modern Apple machines, but it's unlikely to help.

Yeah, it doesn't... I know what it looks like on modern Apple computers. And believe me, I want that, too! :))) But...yeah, i don't know how to fix that particular issue.

And, the issue you're mentioning, it's happening on a lot of different hardware. It also happens using the iGPU. So it's not a specific issue with the dedicated GPUs. But I honestly don't know what causes it. I mean, other than the fact that we're using different hardware than what real Macs are using (especially motherboard), I don't know what else could it be.

So don't worry, I know exactly what you mean. No need for a video. :)) We all have the same issue.

• Like 1

I just checked because somehow I didn't notice any flash lately, so I made a small video to check. There are a few colourful lines and a very show white flash in the bottom third of the screen. I'm still on 10.14.6 :)

It's not completely gone but I either don't notice it or I got accustomed to it. My monitor is 3440x1440 @100Hz with FreeSync. Someone mentioned in the past that FreeSync helped in his case, and it might have helped in my case as well. The flash is really very short and not over the whole screen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

I just checked because somehow I didn't notice any flash lately, so I made a small video to check. There are a few colourful lines and a very show white flash in the bottom third of the screen. I'm still on 10.14.6 :)

It's not completely gone but I either don't notice it or I got accustomed to it. My monitor is 3440x1440 @100Hz with FreeSync. Someone mentioned in the past that FreeSync helped in his case, and it might have helped in my case as well. The flash is really very short and not over the whole screen.

Yeah, I think I mentioned the FreeSync thing a while ago, when I thought that would make a difference. Though, in my case, it wasn't really that, at all... Maybe it does improve it...somehow...but it wasn't fixed with that. So I guess it's still present in Mojave. Just, probably, not as obvious. :) 

Thanks for the info! :D 

The colourful lines (purple and some orange/red lines, if I remember correctly) are fixed by WEG. If you're using an older version, try updating Lilu and WEG in an attempt to fix that. The flashing though...that's another story.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Yeah, I think I mentioned the FreeSync thing a while ago, when I thought that would make a difference. Though, in my case, it wasn't really that, at all... Maybe it does improve it...somehow...but it wasn't fixed with that. So I guess it's still present in Mojave. Just, probably, not as obvious. :) 

Thanks for the info! :D 

The colourful lines (purple and some orange/red lines, if I remember correctly) are fixed by WEG. If you're using an older version, try updating Lilu and WEG in an attempt to fix that. The flashing though...that's another story.

That's good to know, tbh I really should update my Kexts again.. :D On the other hand: Never touch a working system ^^

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, unixb0y said:

That's good to know, tbh I really should update my Kexts again.. :D On the other hand: Never touch a working system ^^

Hahahahaha!!! Words of gold, man. Words of gold.

Well, you can always get a USB drive, put Clover/OC on it, update the kexts and see if everything still works fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1