Screen flashes white for a second during boot

unixb0y

195 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, brousseau6933 said:

Not using WEG as it crashes iTunes when playing movies.

I see... I suppose you're using Apple Music? Personally I canceled my subscription a while ago. But that's beside the point.

I don't know which videos are you trying to watch, but...I just tried watching a bonus video of Beyoncé's (not a fan, it was just the first video I could find on iTunes), and I had absolutely no problems playing it back. And yes, I also use WEG, obviously. :))

Maybe you've got some conflicting kexts in there? I don't know... Also, it would help a lot if you would add your hardware information to your signature so we know what kind of hardware are we talking about.

Also, you could try, just for testing purposes, to get WEG back into Clover/kexts/Other and see if it fixes your glitches. The inability to watch videos on iTunes might be a secondary issue, not necessarily related to the first one. Also, not the point of this thread. :) 

Edited by arsradu

Sorry, profile added. iTunes works ok with my Optiplex 9020, WEG and the GT 710 but no go with an RX 560 or 580 from MSI in my Haswell Z97 build...

Oh, and small glitches (rare) on the HDMI also with the RX 560, something maybe with the MSI BIOS's. Dagpm.kext from toleda implemented, patched framebuffer to reflect exactly what's in the GPU BIOS.

Clover 4813 BTW...

Dual monitor setup: two Acers S220HQL, one hooked with DVI to DP adapter and the other, through DVI to HDMI cable. Tried the two monitors with DP, but it was the principal one that had small glitches randomly at boot or wake up...

Edited by brousseau6933

36 minutes ago, brousseau6933 said:

Sorry, profile added. iTunes works ok with my Optiplex 9020, WEG and the GT 710 but no go with an RX 560 or 580 from MSI in my Haswell Z97 build...

Oh, and small glitches (rare) on the HDMI also with the RX 560, something maybe with the MSI BIOS's. Dagpm.kext from toleda implemented, patched framebuffer to reflect exactly what's in the GPU BIOS.

Clover 4813 BTW...

Dual monitor setup: two Acers S220HQL, one hooked with DVI to DP adapter and the other, through DVI to HDMI cable. Tried the two monitors with DP, but it was the principal one that had small glitches randomly at boot or wake up...

Hmm...no glitches here (aside from the boot flash discussed on this thread). I'm using Sapphire's RX 580. So..it could be a ROM issue indeed. I'm not familiar with Dagpm.kext... Never used it, never needed it. Also, as I said, my iTunes videos work perfectly fine on my RX 580, so I find it quite interesting that they don't for you. Maybe you could provide an example of such video? I'm curious. :)) 

Anyway, the iTunes issue is secondary and I don't think it has anything to do with the glitches. So let's focus on that.

Could you, please, remove your serial numbers from SMBIOS and RTvariables and upload your config.plist here? Or even better, the entire Clover folder (but don't forget to remove those serials first).

I think your issue might be either kext or config related. I could also be wrong though... But I find it weird that you need anything for that RX 580 (should be supported OOB), and even weirder that you have issues with it.

5 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hmm...no glitches here (aside from the boot flash discussed on this thread). I'm using Sapphire's RX 580. So..it could be a ROM issue indeed. I'm not familiar with Dagpm.kext... Never used it, never needed it. Also, as I said, my iTunes videos work perfectly fine on my RX 580, so I find it quite interesting that they don't for you. Maybe you could provide an example of such video? I'm curious. :)) 

Anyway, the iTunes issue is secondary and I don't think it has anything to do with the glitches. So let's focus on that.

Could you, please, remove your serial numbers from SMBIOS and RTvariables and upload your config.plist here? Or even better, the entire Clover folder (but don't forget to remove those serials first).

I think your issue might be either kext or config related. I could also be wrong though... But I find it weird that you need anything for that RX 580 (should be supported OOB), and even weirder that you have issues with it.

I guess I wasn't clear previously (natively French speaking): iTunes works fine playing movies if WEG is not there and I have to add a dummy141.kext to do so since 10.14.1...

I also inject Orinoco and ATI but it worked also with the generic framebuffer, just a question of having things a little bit neater in Ioregistryexplorer. I also had to do PEGP to GFX0 in Clover because I needed the right power management for the Polaris card with iMac 14,2 (the mentioned dagpm.kext from toleda).

The problem is not as big as it appears, it's a small flicker of about half a second and it happens maybe twice a week after wake-up, only on one monitor...

Anyway, I'll provide my EFI folder as soon as I'll be in front of my computer (on the iPad now).

Thanks,

Patrice

2 hours ago, brousseau6933 said:

I guess I wasn't clear previously (natively French speaking): iTunes works fine playing movies if WEG is not there and I have to add a dummy141.kext to do so since 10.14.1...

I also inject Orinoco and ATI but it worked also with the generic framebuffer, just a question of having things a little bit neater in Ioregistryexplorer. I also had to do PEGP to GFX0 in Clover because I needed the right power management for the Polaris card with iMac 14,2 (the mentioned dagpm.kext from toleda).

The problem is not as big as it appears, it's a small flicker of about half a second and it happens maybe twice a week after wake-up, only on one monitor...

Anyway, I'll provide my EFI folder as soon as I'll be in front of my computer (on the iPad now).

Thanks,

Patrice

Hi Patrice.

What I would do is start small. I see you're using iMac14,2. iMac18,3 might be better for the RX 580. But it should probably work just as well with iMac14,2.

The point I was trying to make is that...you shouldn't need anything for that RX 580 other than maybe WEG. I don't think you need that dummy kext, or the dAGPM kext, nor do you need FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux, also No VPAJpeg, also probably you don't need USB_Series9_injector either. So..in other words, most of what you have right now in Clover/kexts/Other.

And I'm not sure what you mean by this: "I have to add a dummy141.kext to do so since 10.14.1". What's wrong with 10.14.1. I'm on 10.14.2 and I've got no issues whatsoever.

So, before anything, make a backup of your current EFI folder somewhere safe. Also, if you don't already have one, you should have a working bootable USB drive, just in case.

After that, you can try the attached EFI folder, replacing the original one (make sure you don't merge it, just remove and replace).

Also, for the Jpeg issues in Mojave, all you need is to either turn on the iGPU in your BIOS (which I would recommend that you do anyway), or use an SMBIOS of a device without an iGPU, such as MacPro5,1, MacPro6,1. More info on that here.

I know it's not a huge issue, and I understand  it's only sometimes, but it's still not ok. And...weird part is that I don't have it, and honestly, I don't remember anyone having this issue with this card. So..could be indeed a ROM issue. Ooor...as I hope it is, a configuration issue.

EFI.zip

Edited by arsradu

37 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Hi Patrice.

What I would do is start small. I see you're using iMac14,2. iMac18,3 might be better for the RX 580. But it should probably work just as well with iMac14,2.

The point I was trying to make is that...you shouldn't need anything for that RX 580 other than maybe WEG. I don't think you need that dummy kext, or the dAGPM kext, nor do you need FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux, also No VPAJpeg, also probably you don't need USB_Series9_injector either. So..in other words, most of what you have right now in Clover/kexts/Other.

And I'm not sure what you mean by this: "I have to add a dummy141.kext to do so since 10.14.1". What's wrong with 10.14.1. I'm on 10.14.2 and I've got no issues whatsoever.

So, before anything, make a backup of your current EFI folder somewhere safe. Also, if you don't already have one, you should have a working bootable USB drive, just in case.

After that, you can try the attached EFI folder, replacing the original one (make sure you don't merge it, just remove and replace).

Also, for the Jpeg issues in Mojave, all you need is to either turn on the iGPU in your BIOS (which I would recommend that you do anyway), or use an SMBIOS of a device without an iGPU, such as MacPro5,1, MacPro6,1. More info on that here.

I know it's not a huge issue, and I understand  it's only sometimes, but it's still not ok. And...weird part is that I don't have it, and honestly, I don't remember anyone having this issue with this card. So..could be indeed a ROM issue. Ooor...as I hope it is, a configuration issue.

EFI.zip

Thanks for the arsradu,

Tried (on an USB stick) the EFI folder you kindly provided:

1- No USB3 drives recognized (hence the need for at least USBseries9 injector);

2- Greeted with a little flickering on my main monitor at boot, not the white flash, the glitch I mentioned previously (the one plugged in DP);

3- iTunes won't play any downloaded movies (black screen...).

I guess the little random glitch could be related to my monitors or the GPU BIOS (MSI)... or the Apple driver (AMD9500controller).

I can't easily switch SMBIOS as I have a lot of audio software tied to this exact SMUUID, SMBIOS, serial, etc...

I regret the Sierra days with my old trusty GTX950 (I don't need a lot of graphic power). I also briefly tried a GT 740 ending with iTunes not running correctly...

I could re-try the RX 560 with a slightly patched framebuffer, who knows...?

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Patrice

**EDIT: the more I think about it I would randomly guess that it could be related to handshaking between DP and HDMI as my monitors only have DVI and VGA inputs...

The DVI output of the RX 560 never exhibited any glitches. The fact that it appears only for a fraction of a second at boot or wake-up (and rarely) is not a big problem, just annoying!

Edited by brousseau6933

25 minutes ago, brousseau6933 said:

Thanks for the arsradu,

Tried (on an USB stick) the EFI folder you kindly provided:

1- No USB3 drives recognized (hence the need for at least USBseries9 injector);

2- Greeted with a little flickering on my main monitor at boot, not the white flash, the glitch I mentioned previously (the one plugged in DP);

3- iTunes won't play any downloaded movies (black screen...).

I guess the little random glitch could be related to my monitors or the GPU BIOS (MSI)... or the Apple driver (AMD9500controller).

I can't easily switch SMBIOS as I have a lot of audio software tied to this exact SMUUID, SMBIOS, serial, etc...

I regret the Sierra days with my old trusty GTX950 (I don't need a lot of graphic power). I also briefly tried a GT 740 ending with iTunes not running correctly...

I could re-try the RX 560 with a slightly patched framebuffer, who knows...?

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Patrice

**EDIT: the more I think about it I would randomly guess that it could be related to handshaking between DP and HDMI as my monitors only have DVI and VGA inputs...

The DVI output of the RX 560 never exhibited any glitches. The fact that it appears only for a fraction of a second at boot or wake-up (and rarely) is not a big problem, just annoying!

I see... Well, I've got USB 3 ports, as well. And they work properly. The only time when they don't (and I'm not sure why) is during OS installation. But while in the OS, everything works perfectly fine by default.

With the iTunes...no idea. Works fine here... It's just the preview I could find on iTunes. I didn't download it. Cause I'd need to buy it first. :)) And I don't think that's worth it. But...it works fine otherwise.

The RX 560 might require a bit more work, in my opinion, since I don't think it's supported OOB. You can still FakeID it and it should probably work. But I don't think it's supported by default. Whereas the RX 580 is.

Is the iGPU enabled in BIOS? I think it might be required for iTunes playback.

Screenshot 2019-01-20 at 00.33.21.png

Edited by arsradu

Interesting find:

At first, when putting back the RX 560, I've patched exactly what the BIOS of the MSI GPU declared. To make it short, using an app called AMD Framebuffer Utility (https://github.com/JogleLew/amd-framebuffer-utility), the third port was DVI type and its control flag was 0×0014 but the ACRE FB had 0x0204 by default. Changing it to 0x0014 gave me a garbled boot screen before login. Back to 0x0204 and it was fine.

Going in this direction, I've decided to "declare" the HDMI out as a DVI, replacing 0x800 (HDMI) with 0x4 (DVI). Did it by patching only the relevant bits without touching the others. So far, it is fine (meaning the screen appears normal) and I will later try to re-do the patching of the RX 580, changing the HDMI and DP outs to 0x4 with control flags 0x0204.

Edited by brousseau6933

Follow-up:

Re-installed the RX 580 but patched the DP ports to be "normal resolution" (0x0604) instead of "high resolution" (0x0304). My two monitors supports at maximum 1920x1080@60Hz. My guess is that sometimes the mismatch between the DP out resolution and the native monitor resolution conflicts each other... I can just make a wild guess as it could be something else!

Just for fun, I've tried with no Inject ATI, no framebuffer choice and adding WhateverGreen: instant flicker at boot (one monitor only) and discovered that the generic Radeon framebuffer sets the DP outs at 0x0304 as seen in IORegistry Explorer.

Too soon to be sure but no flickers today. I'll wait for at least one week without those glitches to consider it solved.

Edited by brousseau6933

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

Yes, the boot flashing only occurs when the monitor is the main one. Not sure why.

I think the glitches will be fixed with WEG.

Sorry, wasn't clear again. Boot flashing occurs and I live with it.

To the contrary, WEG caused an instant micro flicker at boot on one of my monitors. My theory is that I must set my ports at "normal resolution" (via FB Clover patching) instead of "high resolution" (probably meaning support for 4K). Now done and no flickers today but like I've said, too soon to be sure it's my problem. Anyway, with WEG=no iTunes movies playing, iTunes instant crash!

Thanks,

Patrice

There has to be something specific in your case. Not sure what though. :)) Cause I've got no crashes, no flickers, no glitches, iTunes works, the only thing left is the flashing during boot. Do you have the same issues with only one monitor connected? Also, is the cable the default one that came with the monitor?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 5:48 PM, brousseau6933 said:

Follow-up:

Re-installed the RX 580 but patched the DP ports to be "normal resolution" (0x0604) instead of "high resolution" (0x0304). My two monitors supports at maximum 1920x1080@60Hz. My guess is that sometimes the mismatch between the DP out resolution and the native monitor resolution conflicts each other... I can just make a wild guess as it could be something else!

Just for fun, I've tried with no Inject ATI, no framebuffer choice and adding WhateverGreen: instant flicker at boot (one monitor only) and discovered that the generic Radeon framebuffer sets the DP outs at 0x0304 as seen in IORegistry Explorer.

Too soon to be sure but no flickers today. I'll wait for at least one week without those glitches to consider it solved.

Follow-up again:

FB patching worked. The only micro-flicker I've experienced was when I updated to 10.14.3 (tuesday january 22th). After the first re-boot, obviously the prelinked kernel wasn't rebuilt so the FB reverted to original (0x304). Since then, no small flicker at all...

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 10:25 AM, arsradu said:

Never encountered that on my RX 580.

Could be the cable or...one of your kexts. Are you using WEG kext? If not, you could try it. See if it improves anything.

Me neither, Sapphire RX 580 :)

this exists also with my RX 590, but everthing's working fine on a dual monitor system.

on Linux (using FunToo) the Fans goes up to full speed for a millisecond with current RC Kernel and Firmware.

i assume all this has todo with bad Firmware programming.

greetings

4 hours ago, CooSee said:

this exists also with my RX 590, but everthing's working fine on a dual monitor system.

on Linux (using FunToo) the Fans goes up to full speed for a millisecond with current RC Kernel and Firmware.

greetings

Thank you very much for your feedback. So are you saying this flashing on startup only occurs on single monitor setups? Cause that's definitely new to me. :)) Now I'm wondering if all the people having this issue actually have only one monitor.

5 hours ago, CooSee said:

greetings

42 minutes ago, arsradu said:

Thank you very much for your feedback. So are you saying this flashing on startup only occurs on single monitor setups? Cause that's definitely new to me. :)) Now I'm wondering if all the people having this issue actually have only one monitor.

Hi guys,

I have the same flash on single and dual display setup.

One thing that I have notice is that when I do a kext cache cleanup or update dyld shared cache the issue is not present on the first boot after the clean up, but once those caches are rebuilt the flashing comes back.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, arsradu said:

Two monitors here and white flash with MSI cards, RX 560 and 580.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:04 AM, arsradu said:

I have 2 HDMI monitors connected.

But I’ll actually buy a new (nicer) one in the near future which also has freesync and DP, so I’ll report if I see any changes with that setup (single and double monitor mode with one of my old ones as 2nd screen)

On 2/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, Cyberdevs said:

Hi guys,

I have the same flash on single and dual display setup.

One thing that I have notice is that when I do a kext cache cleanup or update dyld shared cache the issue is not present on the first boot after the clean up, but once those caches are rebuilt the flashing comes back.

Thats very interesting! Which locations / which caches are you talking about? I‘d try to replicate it.. :-)

Edited by unixb0y

20 hours ago, unixb0y said:

I have 2 HDMI monitors connected.

But I’ll actually buy a new (nicer) one in the near future which also has freesync and DP, so I’ll report if I see any changes with that setup (single and double monitor mode with one of my old ones as 2nd screen)

Thats very interesting! Which locations / which caches are you talking about? I‘d try to replicate it.. :-)

I reset the PrelinkedKernel and Kext Caches, you can use my Mac Optimizer app to rebuild the system caches and see if you get the same results, although I have to say that it's not always working but 90% of the times after resetting the kext caches and rebuilding the prelinkedkernel the flash is not present on first boot but it comes back after that.

• 3 weeks later...

After upgrading to Mojave I experienced this and have solved it, at least for me.

The computer build is here: https://builds.gg/icedterminal/multibox-16736

The monitor I use is here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260491

EFI Clover source is here: https://github.com/icedterminal/ga-z270x-ug/tree/master/SSD_EFI/CLOVER

I was originally using 17,1. This worked and I thought at first to just leave it be. "If it ain't broke don't 'fix' it" is what I prefer to live by. I've burned myself before by not heeding that advice. Threw caution to the wind and tried the 18,x versions. 18,3 seems to work best at this time. I tried many things until I ended up with this config: https://github.com/icedterminal/ga-z270x-ug/blob/master/SSD_EFI/CLOVER/config-183.plist

I was able to change the following to get the desired no-flash results.

• InjectIntel to NO
  • Remove the value in ig-platform-id leaving it blank.
  • Disable both black screen patch variations
  • Boot arg igfxrst=1

Cleared kext cache and nvram with terminal.

I downloaded the latest Clover installer and selected the following options:

1985478991_ScreenShot2019-03-24at12_03_18PM.png.45aa3a186e6f5896a1a965e308b293e4.png

Mounted my EFI and checked to ensure everything was good and removed the other unnecessary folders and files Clover creates. I clicked restart and during boot the screen simply went black and came back just as it did with High Sierra.

• Like 1