[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

606 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Gabrielss said:
Hi , I have a PM issue . CPU speed is not going to below 2.9Ghz. Geekbench Multicore score is 17000. But Sierra is working fine , High Sierra and Mojave have this issue.
My config z820 6 cores E5-2667 @2.90 x 2 cpu

config.plist

DSDT.aml

ssdt.aml

Did you successfully go through all the necessary steps to enable power management in 10.13 and 10.14 ?

@Gabrielss

I myself have encountered a similar behaviour.

The only thing I can recommend is trying to redo the whole Power management procedure.

Even better make a complete backup of Your (so far) working configuration beforehand.

I wish I could be of more help to You.

8 hours ago, Gabrielss said:

yes , it's enabled

I  checked your files, and I can't see anything wrong. Reading again my own guide,:rolleyes: ,  maybe something is not clear enough for non standard cpu models users (like you):

-To generate the ssdt with ssdtprgen, and the tip of drag to desktop the ssdt1-cpu-def to avoid the error "No ACPI Processor declarations ...", the ssdt1-cpudef has to be the ssdt patched provided in the stuff folder, needed for boot from the first step, not the original extracted with F4.

Maybe is this the problem? Did you get some error in ssdtprgen output? which command did you use to generate the ssdt?

I was successfully install Mac 10.12. But once I got kernel panic, I don't what happened and I tried to reinstall and found that I can't patch RQ_and_HDEF file anymore, also I can't use AppleALC Kext.

And Now I upgrade from Mac 10.12 to Mac 10.13, he same problem remains.

Anyone know what is going on there?

Is my motherboard broken?

The one showed the message with "busy timout[0], (60s): 'IOFireWireLocalNode', happened after I patched RQ_and_HDEF and used AppleALC Kext.

The other one, showed the message with "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'IOHDACodecFunction', I used AppleALC Kext without patching RQ_and_HDEF.

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

22 minutes ago, ho520726 said:

I was successfully install Mac 10.12. But once I got kernel panic, I don't what happened and I tried to reinstall and found that I can't patch RQ_and_HDEF file anymore, also I can't use AppleALC Kext.

And Now I upgrade from Mac 10.12 to Mac 10.13, he same problem remains.

Anyone know what is going on there?

Is my motherboard broken?

The one showed the message with "busy timout[0], (60s): 'IOFireWireLocalNode', happened after I patched RQ_and_HDEF and used AppleALC Kext.

The other one, showed the message with "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'IOHDACodecFunction', I used AppleALC Kext without patching RQ_and_HDEF.

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

What's your Bios version ?

Here's my EFI folder for High Sierra.

I've got the same cpu's - My best guess is that You could use it as is - Just generate a new serial number.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18QfKuoykb-aomQV7W6nnOEL-tTNBoeMp

Maybe legacy / EFI boot issue? Check your bios settings and your boot options. If you use legacy boot, the settings to install clover are sighly different that the described in the guide. 

Edited by bilbo

@ho520726 

The best course of action in cases like this is to take it from the top and try to install from scratch - It might soud tedious but a couple of hours worth of reinstalling is better than days of troubleshooting!

Edited by amadeusex

Thanks again Bilbo, for your great guide!

I was afraid I'd have to do a full install from scratch, instead of just upgrading to High Sierra, but dreading to go through all that again, bought a backup SSD so I could freely experiment, and with success!

I have an Z620 with 2x E5-2690 v2 and an NVidia K4000 GPU. First I made a clone to my 2nd SSD using Clonezilla, which copies everything needed, including the EFI partition, so the disk could directly be used to boot from. Much easier than using any other tool, and it's free.

Then I removed all disks from my system and booted from that cloned disk. I updated Clover to the latest version (5.4.1.1), using the settings that Bilbo supplied in the "First boot" section. 

Next, I copied all the new and/or updated Kexts from Bilbo's ZIP file, from the "Final" folder. I left the 10.12 folder intact, and put all the stuff in the 10.13 (not 10.3 as is erroneously stated in the instructions) and "other" folders. I also copied the Uefi64 drivers folder.

All other things stayed untouched: my own, working pllist.config (or whatever it's called, I'm not currently behind my Z) and SSDTs/DSDTs, or to keep it simple: I kept everything the same except the Kexts in 10.13 and "other" folders, the Uefi64 drivers, and the new Clover Configurator.

After these changes, I rebooted to see if everything still worked, which it did.

Then I did the installation of High Sierra , keeping the file system as it was - I didn't want to take the risk to change that as well. Leaving out the "--converttoapfs NO" tag will probably do the conversion to APFS if you do want that. 

/Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --converttoapfs NO

I'm happy that the upgrade completed succesfully after several reboots.

After that, I used the App Store to upgrade to 10.13.6, a download of almost 3 GB - not that it appears to bring that many useful changes :-) 

Thanks Bilbo, and thanks to all others in this great community for sharing their knowledge!

22 hours ago, bilbo said:

LOL. I would never done that , even drunk :D

Haha :-) But why not, if I may ask? I mean, with a clean install, you'd also have to install all your applications again, download all content again, copy over all your files - it's a lot more work. And Sierra actually worked very well for my purposes already, so there was no need at all to undertake something like that :w00t:

On 2/28/2019 at 10:23 PM, Planeshifter said:

not 10.3 as is erroneously stated in the instructions

btw, fixed ;)

edit--> lol , I wrote at least half a dozen times "10.3" , not 10.13 :geek: ... sorry

Edited by bilbo

Another convenient way to clone your hack is super-duper.

It works while running Macos without any glitch.

The built-in migration assistant is also a big timesaver whenever you're performing an upgrade. It saves you a lot of time and works flawlessly.

Edited by amadeusex

• 1 month later...

I've updated the stuff folder to include this last change.  It allows show as a internal icon (or custom it). Thanks to xuy_

The change is open info.plist of AstekFusion2Adapter.kext , and change IOMediaicon property (into IOKitpersonalities) from "SASadapter.icns to Internal.icns".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I followed the great Guide and put Bilbos SSDT-1.aml for 26x7 or 26x3 users here: EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

Instantly get a Kernel Panik trying to boot of the clover-usb-stick.

Can you guys point me in the right direction where to go from here?