[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

607 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2019 at 7:19 PM, hugodlc said:

Another note for anyone reading this with dual 2667 v2's I tried going back to my (SSDT-1 and SSDT) I posted in a previous post, and PM would not work. I don't fully understand why using this SSDT-1 and SSDT combo refuses to work when it was working before, so I traced my steps back, and the process that works is to first boot from a DSDT with the SSDT-1 info at the bottom of it and then add the SSDT info in a later boot. I guess a kernel cache is being made somewhere in the process, and it changes by doing it this way.

I'm in a similar situation ... :wallbash::wallbash:

Did some migration with Win 10 from my older z820 v1 and then went back to MacOs only to discover that pm is not working anymore - mind You, I didn't change a thing besides adding a DSP card (UAD-2 duo).

Insane situation - I'll try to get to the bottom of the cause but I'm slowly running out of patience here ...  

@amadeusex

thank's for the information February 17th about the ssdtPRGen.sh part of this guide here. But I never managed it finally. I always got kernel panic with the final ssdt.aml. I also do not understand the need of this ssdt, since the Xeons I have in my z820 do not have any fancy features.

However, my system is running OSX Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95) in the moment. I do have a strange 'Whatevergreen' message on every system boot and it doesn't matter, what GPU is in the system. It's coming up with AMD and NVIDIA GPU.

It is:

WhateverGreen: weg @ IMEI device (00:16.00) has device-id 0x1E3A, you should change it to 0x1C3A

Does anyone else here have the same message? Where does it come from?

In certain ProApps, the VRAM and the GPU in my z820 isn't recognized automatically. Does anyone else have the same problem or has maybe an idea what it is? I am on v1 Sandy Bridge.

• Like 1

Hi to all!

My BIOS is 3.94.

I have a Z820 v2 with 2 x 2690 v2 (10 cores, 20 threads) I followed step by step guide and have working PM and 38000 geekbench.

BUT!!! I have just 32 cores of 40. In HWSensors i see 8 cores temp and in parallels just 32 cores.

Where is the problem?

i try to turn on and off Legacy ACPI tables in BIOS, but no luck.

Help me, please.

EFI.zip

25 minutes ago, Sebaxakerhtc said:

Hi to all!

My BIOS is 3.94.

I have a Z820 v2 with 2 x 2690 v2 (10 cores, 20 threads) I followed step by step guide and have working PM and 38000 geekbench.

BUT!!! I have just 32 cores of 40. In HWSensors i see 8 cores temp and in parallels just 32 cores. 

Where is the problem?

i try to turn on and off Legacy ACPI tables in BIOS, but no luck.

Help me, please.

EFI.zip

Hello!

Your configuration is really similar to mine.

Could you please post the output of the following two commands issued in a terminal window?

sysctl hw.physicalcpu

sysctl hw.logicalcpu

Here's mine:

Mac-Pro-di-Antonio:~ antonio$ sysctl hw.physicalcpu
hw.physicalcpu: 20
Mac-Pro-di-Antonio:~ antonio$ sysctl hw.logicalcpu
hw.logicalcpu: 40

Additionally, have you specified the number of cores at the time you generated the SSDT.aml file? Something like this:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -cpus 2 -p 'E5-2690 v2' -x 1 -target 1 -turbo 3600 -c 3 -cpus 2 -l 40 -mode custom -d 3

Your SSDT:

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
        {
            Store ("ssdtPRGen version.....: 21.5 / Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)", Debug)
            Store ("custom mode...........: 1", Debug)
            Store ("host processor........: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz", Debug)
            Store ("target processor......: E5-2690 v2", Debug)
            Store ("number of processors..: 2", Debug)
            Store ("baseFrequency.........: 1200", Debug)
            Store ("frequency.............: 3000", Debug)
            Store ("busFrequency..........: 100", Debug)
            Store ("logicalCPUs...........: 40", Debug)
            Store ("maximum TDP...........: 130", Debug)
            Store ("packageLength.........: 25", Debug)
            Store ("turboStates...........: 6", Debug)
            Store ("maxTurboFrequency.....: 3600", Debug)
            Store ("CPU Workarounds.......: 3", Debug)
            Store ("machdep.xcpm.mode.....: 0", Debug)
            Store ("number of ACPI scopes.: 2", Debug)
        }

My SSDT:

Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)  // _INI: Initialize
        {
            Store ("ssdtPRGen version.....: 21.5 / Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G95)", Debug)
            Store ("custom mode...........: 1", Debug)
            Store ("host processor........: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz", Debug)
            Store ("target processor......: E5-2680 v2", Debug)
            Store ("number of processors..: 2", Debug)
            Store ("baseFrequency.........: 1200", Debug)
            Store ("frequency.............: 2800", Debug)
            Store ("busFrequency..........: 100", Debug)
            Store ("logicalCPUs...........: 40", Debug)
            Store ("maximum TDP...........: 115", Debug)
            Store ("packageLength.........: 25", Debug)
            Store ("turboStates...........: 8", Debug)
            Store ("maxTurboFrequency.....: 3600", Debug)
            Store ("CPU Workarounds.......: 3", Debug)
            Store ("machdep.xcpm.mode.....: 1", Debug)
        }

Notice the lack of the "machdep.xcpm.mode" flag...

Let us know!

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, antonio.clb said:

Hello!

Let us know! 

Mac-Pro-sebaxakerhtc:~ sebaxakerhtc$ sysctl hw.physicalcpu
hw.physicalcpu: 20
Mac-Pro-sebaxakerhtc:~ sebaxakerhtc$ sysctl hw.logicalcpu
hw.logicalcpu: 40

As i know -xcpm_ipi not work, but i have it and generate with -x 1. I don't really know, why is 0

1 hour ago, antonio.clb said:

Additionally, have you specified the number of cores at the time you generated the SSDT.aml file? Something like this:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -cpus 2 -p 'E5-2690 v2' -x 1 -target 1 -turbo 3600 -c 3 -cpus 2 -l 40 -mode custom -d 3

Make a new SSDT by this command, but no luck.

I have good result with geekbench, but i very confused with parallels and HWSensors...

Снимок экрана 2019-09-05 в 6.37.27.png

Снимок экрана 2019-09-05 в 6.37.44.png

Снимок экрана 2019-09-05 в 6.38.43.png

12 minutes ago, Sebaxakerhtc said:

Make a new SSDT by this command, but no luck.

I have good result with geekbench, but i very confused with parallels and HWSensors...

Снимок экрана 2019-09-05 в 6.37.27.png

Снимок экрана 2019-09-05 в 6.37.44.png

Снимок экрана 2019-09-05 в 6.38.43.png

HWsensors behaves like mine (showing the first 10 cores i think...).

Same for Parallels: 32 cores is the maximum value I can see in that menu too...

Your 20 cores/40 threads are working well... Try some cpu-stress test and monitor it with Activity Monitor, you should see, at some point near the end, your CPU usage running at 3600% or so... Just like this:

image.thumb.png.b737c70568b062a6e70e6cbfb85d59b9.png

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, antonio.clb said:

some point near the end, your CPU usage running at 3600% or so... Just like this:

All work very well and with my old ssdt.

My problem is just parallels :(

I need to give to virtual Windows 10 all threads...

Anyway thank you. I will lookink for an answer

2 minutes ago, Sebaxakerhtc said:

All work very well and with my old ssdt.

My problem is just parallels :(

I need to give to virtual Windows 10 all threads...

Anyway thank you. I will lookink for an answer

https://kb.parallels.com/120658

Additionally, using all available CPUs in a VM is a no-no...

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

Any one on that can tell me if any amd RX 580's HDMI ports is working? I have a amd Sapphire RX 580 pulse edition 8Gb and I keep getting freezes using HDMI same with a gtx 1080 on high sierra.... I've tried installing Mojave but no luck except using my gtx 680 which works fine on High Sierra and Mojave. Using my RX 580 or GTX 1080 it will freeze on something like either ACPI something or USBInitialize or something like that... I have 2x Xeon E5-2650 v0's and 48Gb DDR3 ECC ram as well as my RX 580 and GTX 1080 that I've tested with on my system any Idea's on how to fix will be greatly welcomed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I am looking to buy my first 'new' computer in nearly 10 years.  I am looking at maybe getting an HP workstation, like the Z820 or Z840, because modern Intel systems just don't have enough PCIe lanes -  as well as a GPU I also need 2 x 10Gbe Ethernet.   Plus I want a lot of RAM, and maybe the option of having two GPUs.

Thanks to bilbo I see that the Z820 is well supported.  But I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Z840 would also work?  I can find a lot less info about this as a Hackintosh.

My main reason for thinking about the Z840 is the availability of v3 CPUs and DDR4.  I run some apps/games that need good single core performance and decent RAM speed.

I know this is a Z820 thread, but does anyone happen to have any idea if bilbo's guide might be expected to work also on a Z840?  I would be running Mojave 10.14.6  (no plans to go to Catalina anytime soon.)

Thanks in advance

On 9/11/2019 at 4:11 AM, Tri199219 said:

Any one on that can tell me if any amd RX 580's HDMI ports is working? I have a amd Sapphire RX 580 pulse edition 8Gb and I keep getting freezes using HDMI same with a gtx 1080 on high sierra.... I've tried installing Mojave but no luck except using my gtx 680 which works fine on High Sierra and Mojave. Using my RX 580 or GTX 1080 it will freeze on something like either ACPI something or USBInitialize or something like that... I have 2x Xeon E5-2650 v0's and 48Gb DDR3 ECC ram as well as my RX 580 and GTX 1080 that I've tested with on my system any Idea's on how to fix will be greatly welcomed!!!

@Tri199219 Have you tried upgrading Lilu and WhateverGreen to the latest versions?  WEG latest is 1.3.2, and it has some new fixes that would be needed in Mojave.

What exactly is your symptom?  DisplayPort ports work, but HDMI do not?  How many ports do you need to use in total?  Worst case, if you have enough ports, you could try an active DisplayPort to HDMI converter to get working HDMI but via a DisplayPort, which I assume are working OK?

Edited by TheBloke

Hi!

Bilbo thanks for all the new information you shared on this thread I was eventually able boot into Mac recovery via usb and did the install on my internal SSD Although with some trouble in the second step of install after restart, however it completed the installation process.(image,01)

No again while trying to boot on "boot from MacOS High Sierra it gets stuck at....

"WindowServer triggered unnest of range ...." (Image, 02)

Anyone please if have any idea at all how I could possibly work around that...

I have read may post on different forums regarding windowServer on Mac I do know it has something to do with display of apps but I have no idea how to play with Clover to help resolve this.

I have tried FixDisplay once, and also nvideanoefi, as I have quadro 4000 GPU but I was unable to set video options ROM to efi.

IMG_20190918_154402.jpg

IMG_20190918_164137.jpg

On 9/21/2019 at 4:55 AM, Lynx khan said:

No again while trying to boot on "boot from MacOS High Sierra it gets stuck at....

"WindowServer triggered unnest of range ...." (Image, 02)

Anyone please if have any idea at all how I could possibly work around that...

I don't (yet) have a Z820 but I just thought I'd mention that I have this exact same message, regarding WindowServer and DYLD shared region on my old X58 system, and I believe it is not related to your problem.  

I have Googled on the message in the past and believe it's an informational message, and not specific to WindowServer.  There's a bug thread for Chrome where someone raised it as a bug that Chrome prints the same DYLD message, and a developer said that this is just informational logging by the system, and "this message is completely harmless."

Also, this is not the last message in your log, so this is not where it gets stuck.

I'm afraid I have no idea what your problem is, but I thought I'd mention this as I don't think researching on this WindowServer log line is likely to help.

Edited by TheBloke

Hi guys , a lot of things to say...

To @hugodlc  @amadeusex , first of all, thanks to hugodlc for the fix of the SSDT-1 for 26x7 or 26x3 ;)  . I've updated the guide just now, updating the file into the stuff folder (v5) by your fixed version. After several posts, I think the right is from here ... Is that correct? could your confirm that you can enable PM in dual configs,? It's just to clarify it in the guide and warn to users.

To amadeussex.. I know that 2687w is a very very special model. I was just about to buy it in ebay (is the most high-power model of the E5 xeons) , but I was reading things about this cpu and I decided buy a more conventional model (my 2690). Be patience. So, do you have stable PM finally?

And yes, there is something definitely obscure about some persistent settings after boot in other HDs and OSs. I had a weird problem in El Capitan's days: With El capitan running well , I tried with Yosemite (in other HD).. I had an stupid error about the ram's dimms modules. After discard continuing with Yosemite (many problems),  and come back to El capitan.. the error message came up in El capitan too !!! :surprised:. And I never could get rid of the message. I asked and asked if some setting could be storaged in EFI in anyhow.. or whatever... and nobody seemed to know anything. Hackintosh is sometimes paranormal .<_<

For the rest of PM questions, as I said many times, I'm not an expert, specially in PM, and I don't have any important to say. :rolleyes:.  Just to say.... forget turbo freqs to evaluate the PM. They are a complete scam on the part of Intel. I have linux, win also in my z820, I run tests. (prime95.. etc).. and I never saw the promised turbo freqs... never , under any circunstance.

Edited by bilbo

On 9/20/2019 at 10:06 AM, TheBloke said:

Hi all

But I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Z840 would also work?  I can find a lot less info about this as a Hackintosh.

A few years ago, I did a bit of research about z840 and hackintosh scene,  for a friend of mine. And the results were not very encouraging. Almost no info and nobody with this machine running hackinstosh. Maybe now it could be change. I wouldn't be too optimistic. As an alternative, you have some info about x99 and v3 - v4 cpus iustom rigs in some forums.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:55 AM, Lynx khan said:

Hi Lynx!! Glad to read you here. I see you handled yourself to boot and install HighSierra successfuly. Time after we were sharing info, I realized that your problem was caused probably by the ssdt problem of the non 26x0 models. But I couldn't test and research until and user helped me to test it. If I'm not wrong, you solved your problem using the fixed ssdt-1 file. Really glad to read it.

About your problem, it's not related to "WindowServer triggered unnest of range"at all. It's the black screen issue and 6,1 smbios . It's described in the guide. The system is not to able to launch the graphical interface and end the boot process showing the logging window.

I quote myself:

• WhateverGreen.kext (from here, 1.2.2 version) old NvidiaGraphicsFixup proyect has been integrated into this proyect. It's useful for nvidia and amd graphics cards

This couple of kexts avoid black screen booting with 6,1 smbios. Is quite important keep in mind the versions of these kexts keeping the right versions among this kexts. Prior to update some of them, you have to check in original websites if it's is compatible with the rest. These versions are ready to work with 10.13.6. 

and:

Also, if you have two monitors, (as me) and one is connected via DVI port, probably you will have problems. Booting with both monitors, black screen. The fix is turn off the other monitor during the boot. The conflict is DVI port + any other port. ( in my case, the other one is connected via DP ). I fixed it buying one (cheap) dvi to hdmi adapter. 

What you can do:

If you use DVI, change to hdmi, or Display Port , if they are available in your graphic card and they are compatible with your monitor. If you have two monitors , unplug one of them.

Check and use lasts version of  WhateverGreen.kext ...and , important, check what is the right version of Lilu.kext to work with WhateverGreen.kext. If I'm not wrong, just updating both of them to last versions is enough. You don't have to re-install anything. Only change the kexts of clover folder, mounting the hd in other mac

Edited by bilbo

14 hours ago, bilbo said:

correct? could your confirm that you can enable PM in dual configs,? It's just to clarify it in the guide and warn to users.

Those are the correct files.

And yes I can confirm I have PM working on a dual E5-2667 V2.

It is possible that in order to enable PM for the first time you need to have the CPU info from the SSDT pasted at the end of the DSDT like we had to do before. It may be one of those obscure things, and caches get made from this info somewhere.

But once it is running, you can revert to your previous DSDT and have the CPU info on a separate SSDT.

As for the Turbo modes, it's a per core thing.

The CPU clock can turbo up to the max value, but only for single core applications.

The more cores you use, the slower the total clock has to be.

It's basically marketing GHZ from our friends at intel.

@bilbo

I had pm running just fine but lost it without any obvious reason. Paranormal - that's about right, I call it digital Voodoo. :D:D

It is possible to achieve though even with unorthodox methods. Only the outcome matters, right ?

I'm going to try to install High Sierra from scratch again in the near future and let you guys know if I can get it right again.

Edited by amadeusex

I thought I'd report back just to say that things have been working great for the last 2 months. I've used my Z620 fully in production. Mostly using Logic pro X.

PM, USB3, Continuity/handsoff/airdrop works, my firewire card works too. The only thing that doesn't work that well is audio over bluetooth. Sound is stuttery/jittery when I use bluetooth headphones. But I rarely use bluetooth for audio anyhow. I have an old audio firewire interface that works great with mojave. I'm also using an old unitor8 interface for midi and that works well too.

I almost bought the sh*tty trashcan mac. And for half the price I got a better setup. I couldn't be happier!

So, thank you bilbo and co. for the help

• Like 1