[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

607 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, first of all, Congratulations Bilbo for the wonderful guide, this computer is the third one that I build based on your guide first it was a Z620, then a Z820 and now another Z820. I have to say that they work perfectly, a very acceptable performance and above all, very good stability.

Now I have a problem with Mojave, I have read in the thread that there are users who have installed Mojave, I have been trying for two days without any result, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have followed the step-by-step guide, just like High Sierra but with the Mojave installer, Bios 3.94, 8 GB USB 2.0 from a USB 2 rear port, I boot with F9, I get to the Clover boot menu, select Mojave Installation and the screen freezes, then the dreaded and hateful "Forbidden Step" symbol comes out.

I think I should change or update some "Kext" or some "64UEFI Drivers" file, but I have tried several combinations with negative results.
   I enclose catches and the USB EFI, if someone can help me they have a couple of paid beers in Valencia :)

IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

EFI.zip

• Like 1

10 hours ago, amadeusex said:

@WoodCabin

Great news man :)

What was the culprit ?

Hello @amadeusex the culprit was the Clover version, at first I used the 4988 and then I used the 5070, last, I installed all the EFI drivers and when I had the Mojace operational, I was removing one by one until leaving the minimum UEFI drivers to work correctly. The next step is to get a couple of 2690, I hope to spend 40,000 of Geekbench ;)

9 hours ago, bilbo said:

Pués si paso por Valencia, me las pagas. :rolleyes: (eso te pasa por lanzarte)

Jajajaja, @bilbo, eso está más que hecho, soy de la vieja escuela, las que hagan falta amigo, por muchas que te tomes no pagaré lo que has hecho por la comunidad!!

Si alguien necesita la Efi de instalación o la EFI de arranque que no dude en pedirla

If someone needs the Efi installation or EFI boot for Mojave, don't hesitate to ask for it

1 hour ago, amadeusex said:

@WoodCabin
Well done :)

Could You post Your EFI folder ?

There is a possibility to upgrade the Bios of the v1 820 to use Ivy bridge Xeons ...

Hi, here I leave two files, the version of Clover is 5070 :yes:

MOJAVE EFI HD

MOJAVE EFI USB Install

What is the process to update the Bios to accept v2 processors? Is it destructive or can you go back? :thanks_speechbubble:

5 hours ago, WoodCabin said:

What is the process to update the Bios to accept v2 processors? Is it destructive or can you go back?

As far as I can remember it's not destructive but it's invasive - there has to be at least one pin of the bios chip unsoldered and soldered again.

Here's the link from the HP forum.

Message 60 from the thread:

‎06-19-2015 03:58 AM

It has been DONE! Simple but requires patience and hardware skills ... I removed the Flash chip (see elsewhere in this thread for the location), read out the contents with an external programmer, replaced the Boot Block (0xFF0000 to 0xFFFFFF) with the one from the Boot Block from that in a recent (v3.65) BIOS Softpack binary, reprogrammed the Flash chip with updated binary (original code from 0x000000 to 0xFEFFFF plus new Boot Block), and then soldered it back on the motherboard.

Works like a charm ... all the MAC addresses and ATM remain intact.  Takes a while but with the cost of a new board, well worth the effort.

Procedure step by step

Any Electronics repair shop should be able to do that, I even had an appointment here in Athens to do it for 20 euro.

What the procedure actually does is to upgrade the boot block which prevents the v1 version to update the necessary code to recognize the Ivy xeons.

You can downgrade Bios as You wish.

Edited by amadeusex
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do need your help to solve this problem.
HP Z620 with dual 2667v2, installed Sierra is working with 4cores on 2cpusx2cores by limitation in BIOS, but stucked with cpu threads error, if i turn on full cores 8cores x 2cpu. how do i handle this. thank you in advance.

Hp z620 v2 - 2 x E5-2667 v2 Cpus - 64 GB Ram - Nvidia Gtx1060 
Bios v3.94 - Sierra 10.12 - Clover 4392

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi,

i'm almost there, but i can't get rid of a shutdown problem, which causes on every startup a problem telling me, the computer was restartet due to a problem. can someone help me?

im running a HP z620 with 2x 2,59 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

config.plist

Edited by baertig

Hi, Real Hackintosh Noob here.

Managed to buy a HP Z820 from recycling (used, end of leasing, wiped fully) -> read Sierra and High Sierra posts here (as not registered), wanted a Hackintosh and made finaly a deal and registered.

So, trying to build my First Hackintosh, don't understand all and trying to understand and learn.

Thanks to previous post where I downloaded this MOJAVE USB EFI file, I finally managed to install Mojave 10.14.6 to my Z820 SSD and it boots now Ok. Had to edit this VooDoo kext as I have different amount of CPU/Core/Threads than the original poster (2 x E5-2695 v2, Total 24C/48T).

Had no Audio in ALC262 (front, back), but managed to get help for that and now it's working Ok.

My only problem is, that my USB3.0 ports are working "as USB2.0" (I think) and Mojave Update 2019-001 (1.55GB) doesn't install Ok - it fails in the beginning of the install (Apple logo visible, progress bar visible, text "Installing update", bar moving forward few millimetres (like 1/10 of full progress bar) and sudden Reboot!) and after Loggin In the Software Update window pops up and offers the same Update again.

I believe (after reading many articles by Google) that the problem is my USB's as they are not Intel (HP Z820 has Texas Instrument controller, newer Z840 uses Intel) and therefore there is no "native vanilla support" and update fails.

I tried to install USB3 drivers like I saw a video "How to fix usb3.0 in Hackintos" from youtube but it didn't have any effect. Noob failed :(

I have no idea or skills to fix this USB thing - I'm building my first Hackintosh and these kext and patching things and DSDT's go a little over my head, understand some but not in my comfort zone if I may say.

Can someone help, does anyone have Mojave working Ok in HP Z820 ?

My Mojave boot SSD EFI directory attached as zip

Edited by Ragimund (HP Z820)
Solved, User error

On 11/15/2019 at 3:12 PM, Ragimund (HP Z820) said:

Hi, Real Hackintosh Noob here.

Managed to buy a HP Z820 from recycling (used, end of leasing, wiped fully) -> read Sierra and High Sierra posts here (as not registered), wanted a Hackintosh and made finaly a deal and registered.

So, trying to build my First Hackintosh, don't understand all and trying to understand and learn.

Thanks to previous post where I downloaded this MOJAVE USB EFI file, I finally managed to install Mojave 10.14.6 to my Z820 SSD and it boots now Ok. Had to edit this VooDoo kext as I have different amount of CPU/Core/Threads than the original poster (2 x E5-2695 v2, Total 24C/48T).

Had no Audio in ALC262 (front, back), but managed to get help for that and now it's working Ok.

My only problem is, that my USB3.0 ports are working "as USB2.0" (I think) and Mojave Update 2019-001 (1.55GB) doesn't install Ok - it fails in the beginning of the install (Apple logo visible, progress bar visible, text "Installing update", bar moving forward few millimetres (like 1/10 of full progress bar) and sudden Reboot!) and after Loggin In the Software Update window pops up and offers the same Update again.

I believe (after reading many articles by Google) that the problem is my USB's as they are not Intel (HP Z820 has Texas Instrument controller, newer Z840 uses Intel) and therefore there is no "native vanilla support" and update fails.

I tried to install USB3 drivers like I saw a video "How to fix usb3.0 in Hackintos" from youtube but it didn't have any effect. Noob failed :(

I have no idea or skills to fix this USB thing - I'm building my first Hackintosh and these kext and patching things and DSDT's go a little over my head, understand some but not in my comfort zone if I may say.

Can someone help, does anyone have Mojave working Ok in HP Z820 ?

My Mojave boot SSD EFI directory attached as zip

Try mine. I've attached it. The only big difference I can see in configuration is you still have BIOS version 3.91, and I have moved to 3.94. Max upload is 10mb. My EFI folder is 18mb even zipped. Uploaded to here, https://gofile.io/?c=B0Xn3v.

Edited by Blckout0099

Ok, BIG Thanks ! :thumbsup_anim:

I will look in the evening...

Have you any "knowledge" of info what's different between BIOS v3.91 and V3.94 ?

Has HP only added "some microcode" to fix some vulnerabilities like those Meltdowns or something Hartbleeds etc..., but actually those fixes same time lower the CPU performance. :(

Does your CPU power states (or something) work Ok, can you drive your CPU's with 3,2Ghz ?

Or is that something that Apple does automatically "when" needed... Don't know how this "more performance" thing work in Apple world (CPU 2.4 - 3.2Ghz)

-Noob

6 hours ago, Ragimund (HP Z820) said:

Ok, BIG Thanks ! :thumbsup_anim:

I will look in the evening...

Have you any "knowledge" of info what's different between BIOS v3.91 and V3.94 ?

Has HP only added "some microcode" to fix some vulnerabilities like those Meltdowns or something Hartbleeds etc..., but actually those fixes same time lower the CPU performance. :(

Does your CPU power states (or something) work Ok, can you drive your CPU's with 3,2Ghz ?

Or is that something that Apple does automatically "when" needed... Don't know how this "more performance" thing work in Apple world (CPU 2.4 - 3.2Ghz)

-Noob

Ragimund,

I believe you are correct, just the CPU vulnerabilities. It clearly isn't v2 support since you're already running a supported v2 CPU (and I as well previously on that BIOS revision). I am rocking dual E5-2680v2 's. Mine only ever run at 2.80ghz the stock clock, and turbo boost never kicks in to the best of my knowledge. Every time I check the hardware monitor, all cores are only every ~2.80ghz. I have previously followed all the power management stuff in the guide more than once with no avail. Gaming is much slower (not bad, just slower load times), but everything else is crushed with no issues or lags. If I really want to run a game I just reboot to Windows instead. 

I also haven't had any luck with Catalina. I have followed several guides not related to our Z820 with some success, but its never a fully working build or even stable enough to start fixing other things, assuming I get to or through the setup without a kernel panic, I can get to or through the setup with displays or usb properly functioning, I have mad random issues. 

Any luck with my EFI config?

Hi Backout0099,

1#

I downloaded your EFI and tried that (don't worry, I don't have Apple profile yet and will change the serials so your account wont be blocked) - changed only that VooDoo kext as I have few cores more than you.

It booted Ok, LAN & Audio & Radeon works Ok.

Noticed when opened config.plist that you really have patched big time, have no idea what all those are but a lot more changes that I have, Whoa! :surprised:

But I don't see anything related to USB3 in my "About This Mac / System Report / USB", only two "USB2.0 Bus". 

One has my Wireless M$ Keyboard & Mouse dongle (front), another has my Ebay BT Dongle (back). Both are connected to physical USB2.0 ports (black, not blue).

I downloaded IORegisteryExplorer and opened it, what I understand from this app (Noob) that from browsing all tree options I found PEX2@1C,6 / IOPP / XCH1@0 / mXHCD and I think that it's the USB3.0 controller (right?). When I plug USB3.0 32GB pen drive to one of physical USB3.0 ports in front, my M$ kb & mouse freezed (weird ! :cry:).

So I pulled the pen drive out and connected to back USB3.0. IORegEx updated and I can see the SanDisk Ultra in mXHCD and there is a mention "Device Speed   Number   0x2".

Does this mean that my USB3.0 is now working Ok and faster that USB2.0 speed ?

2#

I also Googled "Hackintosh CPU stepping" and found a lot of articles.

There were also hits for Ivy Bridge CPU's (our is code name "Ivy Bridge EP").

In this InsanelyMac forum and also many others.

But there were mentions that this NullCPUPowerManagement.kext should not be used, and something about AppleACPI and we should generate our own SSDT.aml file or was it "patch" (?) with ssdtPRGen... anyway, Googlin ssdtPRGen will bring hits. Downloaded and "installed" it...

It had also our CPU's mentioned in Ivy Bridge.cfg file with values (looked with TextEdit):

'E5-2695 v2',115,1200,2400,3200,12,24

'E5-2680 v2',115,1200,2800,3600,10,20

So if we (meaning you, I'm still Noob) do this script it should update SSDT file with corect CPU stepping & power data and then our CPU's Ghz speed should vary depending the load - or am I totally wrong ??

Hi Backout0099,

Related to Catalina, I'm going to stick with Mojave - not upgrading.

My work mates with real Apple product are complaining about Catalina, plenty of problems

and weird "features" that didn't exist in Mojave. Some have downgraded back to Mojave.

Also some applications don't work well like they worked before upgrade...

They are saying that same thing happened when they upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra...

Mojave was better and now this again...

I have 3 questions:

1) I have a z620 running high Sierra 10.13.6 and it looks to be running perfectly fine, but I am not sure if the processor speeds are throttled properly or if it runs full speed all the time. Is there a way to check this?

2) if I want to upgrade this z620 To mojave 10.14.6, what things do I need to do? Upgrade the clover version?

3) how can I smoothly and properly transfer this HS install from a standard hard drive to this new ssd I have? What software is recommended? Do I also need to mount the efi and copy it also?

thanks!

Edited by arkieboy72472

I managed to figure out some of this on my own:

1) I used the guide and looked at the graphs on HW Monitor. I then went back and followed the guide verbatim. I got PM working I think.

2) I am going to research more before I upgrade. I have no idea what to do yet.

3) I used a trial version of CCC (carbon copy cloner) and then I used terminal to mount both EFI partitions. I then copied the old to the new. I fired up the SSD and it works. Some of the zip files I have won't uncompress, but it works as far as I know.

4 hours ago, arkieboy72472 said:

I managed to figure out some of this on my own:

1) I used the guide and looked at the graphs on HW Monitor. I then went back and followed the guide verbatim. I got PM working I think.

2) I am going to research more before I upgrade. I have no idea what to do yet.

3) I used a trial version of CCC (carbon copy cloner) and then I used terminal to mount both EFI partitions. I then copied the old to the new. I fired up the SSD and it works. Some of the zip files I have won't uncompress, but it works as far as I know.

Hello! Glad to hear you managed cloning your system!

Regarding question n. 2, I've upgraded HS to Mojave without particular issues. Some rules of thumb:

1) update Clover to the latest version (currently I'm on v2.5k r5097) and keep in mind that the, in the r5x version, folders layout has been modified. Here's a snap of my CLOVER folder ready for update (notice the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file):

image.thumb.png.284f40b4794bfa3369ae023e71093998.png

2) as said before, put the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext file in your kexts/Other folder in order to boot up after AICPM reinstallation then follow bilbo's guide to patch/generate/fix/compile.

3) don't forget that NVIDIA is almost fully deprecated on Mojave/Catalina, make sure you've a compatible card. I've found this really useful post about this: https://khronokernel-3.gitbook.io/catalina-gpu-buyers-guide/

Have fun!

AC

Edited by antonio.clb

Is there a link or post that explains the Mojave upgrade process a little more clearly? Like what to do in what steps? 

I would assume you upgrade clover but what selections to make? what all should I do prior to the upgrade and what all afterwards? 

Bilbo, now that mojave has came and went, have you considered making a guide for it as good as this one?

as for me, I have both a z420 and z620. The 620 has high Sierra and 420 has windows 8.1 pro. I have Quadro K4000 in both so they are compatible for whatever.

8 hours ago, arkieboy72472 said:

Is there a link or post that explains the Mojave upgrade process a little more clearly? Like what to do in what steps? 

I would assume you upgrade clover but what selections to make? what all should I do prior to the upgrade and what all afterwards? 

Bilbo, now that mojave has came and went, have you considered making a guide for it as good as this one? 

as for me, I have both a z420 and z620. The 620 has high Sierra and 420 has windows 8.1 pro. I have Quadro K4000 in both so they are compatible for whatever.

I'll definitely try a clean Mojave install on a new HDD/SSD following bilbo's HS guide. Use latest Clover and you'll be fine.

In order to try the upgrade (don't forget to make a full backup first!), you should upgrade Clover to the latest 2.5k r5xxx version and double check folder structure as pictured. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is mandatory during upgrade process in order to avoid KP at boot due to unrecognized CPU.

Upgrading to Mojave, aftrer Clover update, follows the usual steps (download installer and run it). After upgrading you should have Mojave without PM: follow bilbo's guide in order to unleash all your CPU's power. At this point you can try to boot without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Best regards.

AC

Hi AC,

you mentioned "After upgrading you should have Mojave without PM: follow bilbo's guide in order to unleash all your CPU's power. "

Is that bilbos guide in this same topic in the beginning, or is there a different Guide for PM in Mojave ? URL please ?

I have Z820 up & running with Mojave and with dual Xeon.

But I don't have PM at the moment (NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) and my CPU's are running with base clock 2,4Ghz all the time. My CPU's can boost to 3.2Ghz.

I'm a Noob in Hackintosh world and trying to build my first one...

1 hour ago, Ragimund (HP Z820) said:

Hi AC,

you mentioned "After upgrading you should have Mojave without PM: follow bilbo's guide in order to unleash all your CPU's power. "

Is that bilbos guide in this same topic in the beginning, or is there a different Guide for PM in Mojave ? URL please ?

I have Z820 up & running with Mojave and with dual Xeon.

But I don't have PM at the moment (NullCPUPowerManagement.kext) and my CPU's are running with base clock 2,4Ghz all the time. My CPU's can boost to 3.2Ghz.

I'm a Noob in Hackintosh world and trying to build my first one...

Hello!

I usually follow bilbo's guide, here's a step-by-step from my own notes:

1. turn on NullCPUPowerManagement!
2. make a backup copy of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext 
3. issue the following command in a terminal:  sudo perl AICPMPatch.pl /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement --patch
4. install LegacyX86PlatformPlugin.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/ (I use Kext Wizard for this)
5. (this is only for v1 CPUs) issue the following command in a terminal: sudo ./10.13\ aicpm\ patch.command
6. issue the following command in a terminal (tailor it for whatever your disk is called): sudo ./InsanelyRepairPermission -r /Volumes/macOS\ SSD
7. reboot and dump ACPI tables by hitting F4 at Clover's boot screen
8. copy EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/original/APIC.aml and EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/original/SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml (rename thsi to DSDT.aml) on your Desktop
9. issue the following command in a terminal (tailor it for your CPU): ./ssdtPRGen.sh -cpus 2 -p 'E5-2680 v2' -x 1 -target 1 -turbo 3600 -c 3 -cpus 2 -l 40 -mode custom -d 3
10. copy /Users/yourusername/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
11. open EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/original/DSDT.AML with MaciASL and fix all the problems (patch 1 on both ACPI 4.0 and 6.1, fix unreachable statements then patches 2, 3 and 4 only on ACPI 6.1). Save this file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.
12. reboot and cross all your available fingers!

Let us know!

Antonio

Edited by antonio.clb