[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

607 posts in this topic

Please:

-check if you have activated “legacy ACPI cpu tables” in bios. Well , check all bios options.

-If it doesn't work, and if you can reach first clover screen, extract your original acpi files with F4  (as I describe in the guide) and post your ssdt files. Maybe your cpu has specificall ssdt tables. I know that 2687w cpus are kind of "special" models.

I can't see anything different in the ssdt cpudef. The ssdt patched should work. Did you check the bios options? Check the port used to attach the system HD also, and follow the advices of the guide. And post the whole clover folder you are using in your usb stick.

Thank you for your support. Yes I checked all the bios options. Right now I have no system HD attached because I wanted to get to the High Sierra Installer first. Kernel Panic occures long before that stage.

Today I took my original SSDT-1-CpuDef and made the changes described in the Apendix of your Guide. I then put it in Clover/ACPI/patched. Still the same Panic. Is there a way to collect the error messages?

Anyway this is my Clover Folder.

glow9_CLOVER.zip

I can't see anything wrong...

To post a kernelpanic log, the only way is just take a photo. If screen goes fast, sometimes is useful record video and extract the right frames.

I would try with and without ssdt1 and see what happens.

And could be important to know what exactly version of High Sierra are you using. I mean, the exactly security update is available to download now. I remember some issues among exactly version and lilu kext. Try to search in google how you could find out the installed version in a usb installation

Just one more thing, use only usb2 front connector (the closer one to on/off button). And even maybe try with another usb stick.

Yes I use only usb2 front connector (the closer one to on/off button).

High Sierra is in the Aplication Folder on my MacBook. It reads: Version: 13.6.02.

Tried different things today but with no success.

1. used different usb-stick

2. boot with and without DSDT-1

3. disabled Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen

4. added nv_disable=1 to the boot arguments

Here is what I got for pictures during boot and kernel panic:

glow9_Panic0010.jpg

glow9_Panic0011.jpg

glow9_Panic0012.jpg

glow9_Panic0013.jpg

wow. I'm not an expert, it's hard to me say something. In some screens, I can read clearly the error related with the acpi legacy tables and the ssdt patched and also the boot is rejecting load the patched SSDT. But I don't know what's going on. I'll try to test with your clover files, to discard things. But I'm a bit lost :blink:

Please, repeat again the F4 process, (checking again that you have set the "load legacy acpi tables" option is enabled and send me all files collected in in /clover/acpi/original.

Edited by bilbo

Today I went ahead and put one of the E5-2687Wv2 from the Z820 into my other system: Asus Sabertooth x79. I experienced the same kernel panic during boot from clover. Then I followed a guide from another forum regarding E5-2687Wv2 kernel panic. 

I opened my original DSDT.aml with Maciasl. I then searched for the word "processor". I deleted all entries leaving only the first 16 processor entries. I then renumbered these first 16 entries according to the appendix of Bilboes great guide. Saved and put it under EFI/Clover/Acpi/patched.

And now there is no more kernel panic.

But when I open the original DSDT of the Z820 in Macaisl, there are no occurences of the word "processor".

Edited by glow9

I think I know that other thread about KP you are talking about. It didn't work for me, and I couldn't apply (or I didn't know how do it) the fix. Later, I found the fix proposed in my guide (activating the legaci acpi tables in bios).

Maybe for your 2678w you need an special workaround. If it worked for your asus mb, maybe it'll work for the z820. Who knows.

First main difference is that in asus mb the cpu defs reside in the dsdt. In our z820's bios, that declarations reside in the SSDT-1-cdpu-def. That is because I asked you such file.

Other aspect of the problem is activate or not activate the legacy acpi tables. It gives you a slightly different ssdt. As I wrote in my guide, with HighSierra, the legacy ssdt is the only right version. But again, with your cpu, who knows. The asus bios seems not care of such option. Anyway, I would try first with legacy tables activated.

So , try to apply your fix in the original ssdt1-cpudef, rename it as ssdt-1 and place it in /clover/acpi/patched, as I described in my guide.

And report the result. It would be interesting.

Thank your for your patience. It turns out the problem is the GTX1060. I swapped it with my GTX770 and now your SSDT-1 works and I am looking at the installer screen of macos on the Z820. Hurray!

WTF :surprised: . Hackintosh is always so insanely weird.

I remember other user with a issue with their graphic card and the fix was change the slot where it was attached. That is because I recommended connect the graphic card to the first pci x16 slot (the second one counting from the cpu). Just curious: which slot use you for connect it?

I use the first pci x16 slot. To be honest I am not sure anymore the panic was graphics related. There ist one small change I made to the config.plist: drop OEM is enabled in the Acpi/SSDT Section. 

I am still testing and keep you updated.

I can confirm the Kernel Panic was not related to the graphics card. The fix for my system is to enable "drop OEM" in the Acpi/SSDT Section of the config.plist. 

After I put the second CPU back in the Z820 I have an error message during every boot.

IMG_4644.jpg

I checked with „intel-processor-diagnostic-tool" https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool. It does not find any errors. 

Did anyone here experience similar and is there something I can do about it?

Edited by glow9

Is there any way to get two 1080ti working?

I tried all slot combination but whenever there more then one cards installed i got kernel panic or only can boot without Nvidia driver.

I tried one 1070 in combination with one 1080ti and changed to two 980ti but it seems it's not possible got more then one card working.

I tried to change EFI to legacy in Bios, but it doesn't changed anything.

Hopefully anyone has an idea?

Z820, Bios J63 v03.94, 256 GB DDR3 ECC 1866, Dual E5-2697 V2, Nvidia 1080ti

On 5/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, glow9 said:

I can confirm the Kernel Panic was not related to the graphics card. The fix for my system is to enable "drop OEM" in the Acpi/SSDT Section of the config.plist. 

Great!! . Dsdt and ssdt for pm files are loaded automaticaly by clover. I don't need patch the ssdt-cpu-def, so , I haven´t experimented never with that clover's option. I only know what other users report. So, fantastic. I'll upadte the guide with the info.

About cpu error, no idea. I would try to reassembly it into the socket. Or maybe , search some guide about how add a second cpu. Maybe some kind or bios reset would be needed. you can ask for help in hp forums.

Edited by bilbo

14 hours ago, walter77 said:

Is there any way to get two 1080ti working?

Hi, walter77. First, thansk for your report. I have a 180ti working. The only issue is the black screen problem with two monitors cause of the combo of DVI + any other port. The fix is not use dvi port. I bought a hdmi to dvi converter to use my dvi monitor. I have the card plugged into the second PCI slot (the first x16), and no problem. No idea about your problem. Have you checked that nvidia driver option is enable in clover?

57 minutes ago, bilbo said:

Hi, walter77. First, thansk for your report. I have a 180ti working. The only issue is the black screen problem with two monitors cause of the combo of DVI + any other port. The fix is not use dvi port. I bought a hdmi to dvi converter to use my dvi monitor. I have the card plugged into the second PCI slot (the first x16), and no problem. No idea about your problem. Have you checked that nvidia driver option is enable in clover?

Hi bilbo, thanks for your answer. I have no problem with dvi port and second display on display port when only one grafik card is installed. But when i install a second 1080ti gpu card (2 1080ti cards) i get black screen. So i followed up your guide and removed one of my monitors from dvi port and it worked with two 1080ti cards installed. After that i plugged in the second monitor and it worked two. So i installed a displayport dvi adapter on next reboot and got black screen again. When i remove the second card (just for gpu rendering with davinci) i get picture on both monitors even with dvi. I will setup a fresh install and do everything again. I will report later. 

Hi Bilbo, the setup of High Sierra following your guide was smooth. But I can not get Power Management.

So far I tried all four -compatibility workarounds in the ssdtPRGen.sh-script and always get the same result: no C-States and only P-States without Turbo. Looking at HWMonitor I can not see any change, only the "CPU Package Average" changes a little.

This is what AppleIntelInfo.kext tells me:

CPU Ratio Info:
------------------------------------------
Base Clock Frequency (BLCK)............. : 100 MHz
Maximum Efficiency Ratio/Frequency.......: 12 (1200 MHz)
Maximum non-Turbo Ratio/Frequency........: 34 (3400 MHz)
Maximum Turbo Ratio/Frequency............: 40 (4000 MHz)
P-State ratio * 100 = Frequency in MHz
------------------------------------------
CPU P-States [ (12) 31 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 28 31 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 25 28 31 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 25 28 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 24 25 28 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 24 25 28 30 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 24 25 28 29 30 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 22 24 25 28 29 30 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 22 24 25 26 28 29 30 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 21 22 24 25 26 28 29 30 31 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ 12 21 22 24 25 26 28 29 30 31 32 33 (34) ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 21 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ]
CPU P-States [ (12) 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ]

On 5/26/2019 at 6:36 PM, walter77 said:

Hi bilbo, thanks for your answer. I have no problem with dvi port and second display on display port when only one grafik card is installed. But when i install a second 1080ti gpu card (2 1080ti cards) i get black screen. So i followed up your guide and removed one of my monitors from dvi port and it worked with two 1080ti cards installed. After that i plugged in the second monitor and it worked two. So i installed a displayport dvi adapter on next reboot and got black screen again. When i remove the second card (just for gpu rendering with davinci) i get picture on both monitors even with dvi. I will setup a fresh install and do everything again. I will report later. 

Thanks bilbo, you made my week ;-) Everything is working now with 2x 1080ti cards installed! Now my two monitors are connected with displayport. Great!! Cinebench 15 scores about 2950!

By the way, there is a litte syntax error in your script ;-)

you wrote:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -mode custom -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -p 'E5-2690 v2' -c3 -x 1 -cpus 2 -l 40

should be and worked for me:

./ssdtPRGen.sh -mode custom -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -p 'E5-2690 v2' -c 3 -x 1 -cpus 2 -l 40

Z820, Bios J63 v03.94, 256 GB DDR3 ECC 1866, Dual E5-2697 V2, 2x Nvidia 1080ti, macOS 10.13.6

Does anyone have the full speed fan issue?

After installing a Black Magic 4K Mini Monitor card at first pcie slot, the fans starting at full speed and i get a F1 prompt: Thermal sensor not programmed

I tried cmos reset, bios reflash, replacind the transistor (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Thermal-Sensor-not-programmed-amp-cpu-fans-running-at-max/td-p/6815308) but the fans are still at highest speed.

Does anyone have an idea?

Z820, Bios J63 v03.94, 256 GB DDR3 ECC 1866, Dual E5-2697 V2, 2x Nvidia 1080ti, macOS 10.13.6

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone who reads this:

I have a single processor Z620 with a k4000 quadro and is there anything other than what is on this guide that I need to do differently? I am trying to set up Mojave (or if it is better High Sierra/Sierra) on the machine. All I want is for the thing to work as much as possible and be stable so I can play games on it. Also, the Z620 I have has two graphics cards that were ran in SLI. Is there a better OS than windows that can take advantage of this?