[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

607 posts in this topic

I'm doing some test and I'm having problems related with my saved high sierra dmg and updates with stupid security certificates. It's a known problem and it seems that the fix is re-downlad again de dmg.

Please, could anyone check if the update to download the high sierra installer stills available? From my high sierra temp installation, link does not show "download" button. (Only with high sierra. No problem with other versions) . I tried also from other macs with different so versions, and link does not open mac store. ¿?¿?¿?.

The webpage to download is here . The direct link is this one.

Edited by bilbo

Thank you Rockey!!! . I figured out the mystery. After a lot of time searching, I read is Apple forums that Applestore app , detect if you hace the app (whatever) in the HD, to show "open" or "download". And I realized that I had mounted the usb installer, with its macos installer app. The fix is simply, unmount the usb, and "download" button shows up. :blink:

Anyway, trying form other OS versions, Appstore doesn't open the link. Sometimes because is a old appstore (el capitan), or sometimes because is the new appstore (mojave). Even I tried to do from my old Sierra HD and the link didn't work either. That's mean, that we need High Sierra to download a High Sierra dmg. Seriously, Apple is, with every passing day, a more retarded company :thumbsdown_anim:.

I managed to install High Sierra with expired certifies, using a tip with the system date. The problem is updates wont install in a system with expired certifies. But , from this High Sierra installed, I copuld download the new updated dmg .

Those who appreciatte your stuff of SO, updates, etc, should download again all installers with renovated certifies.

Edited by bilbo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to everybody!

A quick update on my HP Z620 Catalina journey...

In the past few days I've noticed that my Radeon RX570 HW encoding/decoding capabilities weren't available on Catalina 10.15.3: both Hackintool and Videoproc reported issues (VDA not supported and unavailable H.264/HEVC).

After some research and LILU/WEG updates I've found that the issue was related to MacPro6,1 spec on my hackintosh so I decided to make some tests trying the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS and, with some USB issues, I managed to achieve full HW accelerated VDA according to Hackintool (VDA Decoder: Fully Supported) and Videproc (see screenshot):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8d7cb5d9e305136121b1eca3eb388a5f.png

The backdraw is that onboard USB 2.0 is fully unoperational and USB 3.0 is super-slow (20-30 MBps) but still good for keyboard and other slow peripherals.

I've a USB 3.1 card (ASM1142) that works perfectly and, maybe with the help of a good powered USB hub, I should be happy with this configuration.

My specs (stuck on 10.15.3 for a couple of softwares not working on higher versions):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d3d5fc9869130da9d65d70e5580d1696.png

You will need this kext to avoid the annoying memory misconfiguration message: https://github.com/IOIIIO/MacProMemoryNotificationDisabler

The system looks stable and seems also more responsive than before...

I'll keep you updated!

EDIT: a couple of benchmarks confirm better system performances (don't consider 2760851 on the second row: system was not idle).

Spoiler

Geekbench 5 (CPU and GPU tests):

image.thumb.png.96374709cb0db5991f4645efcdb78602.png

image.thumb.png.bdf2457335199125f16d45decf5fd43c.png

Geekbench 4 (CPU only):

image.thumb.png.44698b47e69f5cbe4ea627acdeaba1ee.png

Cinebench R20:

image.thumb.png.0e063c5ba4c5c1f15f68f8711e8c6389.png

Cool!

Have fun!

AC

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

Hello folks!

Regarding my previous post (SMBIOS MacPro7,1 on HP Z620) I have good news about USB!

I've found online this awesome USBInjectAll fork covering every SMBIOS present and give it a try.

Result: USB 2.0 is working perfectly as in MacPro6,1 SMBIOS (with the help of bilbo's SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml)!

USB 3.0 (integrated) still working slow and without showing in System Profiler but this is not an issue: an ASMEDIA ASM1142, ASM1543 USB 3.1 gen2 PCIe card is doing its job giving me a blazing 10 Gbps bandwidth.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5b30dc52df9f865ad9f2d27aa767a8c7.png

image.thumb.png.66625cee8138f033c8f9096de889ec37.png

Fully working Catalina 10.15.3 on MacPro7,1 SMBIOS here!!! ^__^

Have fun!

AC

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

Thanks Antonio. Pretty interesting. Play with Smbios has always unexpected results.  Good job.

I have some news realted in general with our machines, nvram and EmuVariableUefi driver. I need some time to do some test, but it could fix some error related wit some nvram parameters and the hateful message " your computer was restarted because of a problem". I'll try to post something as soon as possible.

Mine keeps spreading from stock freq (2500Mhz) to 3300Mhz, it seems it like the turbo zone....   Hardware monitor and iStat Menus as well they both don't detect lower frequencies, I can see the graphic(s) going down but the bar shows nothing less than 2500Mhz even at completely idle finder.

Intel power gadget works better, I mean I see graphics going down to 1200Mhz and quickly return around 3000Mhz. My DSDT and SSDT they seem good, although I'm using the E5-2697v2 SSDT because of an error when running  Piker Alpha script (Cpu not supported). Still testing and fiddling....

BTW If you see somenthing wrong (I think you will) in my config please suggest me an edit, if possible.

Thank you

X79 E5 IOREG.zip

Edited by PPCnostalgic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Can anyone help with fan speed monitoring and control as my Z820 fans seem to be running full speed even when CPU's are idle.  The main board fans don't appear in HWMonitor.

Thanks.

HI everyone,

I have a z820 with dual e5 2667v2 cpus, and when I try to boot the usb installer there's a KP, which is expected from the original guide.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how's it possible to modify the SSDT without being able to boot into the USB installer first?

I am confused about that part of the guide.

4 hours ago, kyroschow said:

HI everyone,

I have a z820 with dual e5 2667v2 cpus, and when I try to boot the usb installer there's a KP, which is expected from the original guide.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how's it possible to modify the SSDT without being able to boot into the USB installer first?

You need another computer to help first

1 hour ago, hugodlc said:

You need another computer to help first

Thanks! This is what I think I need to do in order to boot without KP:

1. Extract SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml from Clover (maybe on another bootable OS?).

2. Decompile SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml on another Mac, and then rename all the order numbers.

3. Compile changed SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml and place it in ACPI/patched folder.

Is this correct? Would this be able to override the default SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml?

I don't quite understand this part because the guide talks about changing order numbers in the origin SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml file but I am not sure if I should put a patched SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml in the patched folder.

7 minutes ago, kyroschow said:

Thanks! This is what I think I need to do in order to boot without KP:

1. Extract SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml from Clover (maybe on another bootable OS?).

2. Decompile SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml on another Mac, and then rename all the order numbers.

3. Compile changed SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml and place it in ACPI/patched folder.

Is this correct? Would this be able to override the default SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml?

I don't quite understand this part because the guide talks about changing order numbers in the origin SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml file but I am not sure if I should put a patched SSDT-1-CpuDef.aml in the patched folder.

Correct, but I'll save you the trouble.

Add SSDT.aml to ACPI-Patched.

That should get you to boot, if not, and also to get power managment, add the contents of the attached text file to the bottom of your edited DSDT. Below the DTGP Method, just above the last closing braket.

SSDT.aml

Add to bottom DSDT.txt

21 hours ago, hugodlc said:

Correct, but I'll save you the trouble.

Add SSDT.aml to ACPI-Patched.

That should get you to boot, if not, and also to get power managment, add the contents of the attached text file to the bottom of your edited DSDT. Below the DTGP Method, just above the last closing braket.

SSDT.aml

Add to bottom DSDT.txt

I tried adding the SSDT you provided, but it still gives me an "x86_validate_topology" "32 threads but 33 threads registered" KP.
I attempted so many different ways and I am currently out of ideas what I need to do. Here's my EFI:

MyEFI.zip

29 minutes ago, kyroschow said:

I tried adding the SSDT you provided, but it still gives me an "x86_validate_topology" "32 threads but 33 threads registered" KP.
I attempted so many different ways and I am currently out of ideas what I need to do. Here's my EFI:

MyEFI.zip

The config file in this guide is a mess, here's mine, just add your personal serial and UUID numbers and everything should work.

Don't use my DSDT, it is there for reference only, extract and edit your own from your machine using the notes from the guide. Even small differences between machines will break compatibility.

Also which OS are you trying to install?

CLOVER.zip

6 minutes ago, hugodlc said:

The config file in this guide is a mess, here's mine, just add your personal serial and UUID numbers and everything should work.

Don't use my DSDT, it is there for reference only, extract and edit your own from your machine using the notes from the guide. Even small differences between machines will break compatibility.

Also which OS are you trying to install?

CLOVER.zip

I am trying to install Catalina 10.15.6, but I don't have a Mac so I'm using gibMacOS to obtain a disk image in Linux and edit the config.plist in CCC.

Not sure if the graphics card matters, but I'm using an MSI RX 580.

Ok, some updates after 1 whole day of testing...

1. Clover + gibMacOS is able to boot, but failed with installing on my SSD. I think this is because I used gibMacOS to download only the recovery image.

2. I ended up using OpenCore to boot, and surprisingly enough it works! All I needed to do is to follow the OpenCore Guide, do a DropOEM equivalent in OpenCore, add the SSDT, and it just works.

3. PM seems easy enough to set up, not sure if it actually works. Does this look like working PM?

Now I need to translate OP's patches to SSDT to give me USB2 and all other things (USB2 doesn't work, I used USB3 to plug in my USB, keyboard, and installer).

Also my SATA drives doesn't seem to be detected. Any reasons why?

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 12.18.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 12.24.24 AM.png

On 7/29/2020 at 11:58 PM, kyroschow said:

HI everyone,

I missed all that last posts. Kyroschow, KP due to xxx7 and 000x3 models is fixed simpy using the ssdt already patched that I provided in the stuff folder. Sorry if the guide is confused here. I know that for an user with this problem, it's impossible patch anythyng precisely beacuse is impossible install the OS. The explanation of the error and the way to fix , is only to show the problem and share the info. For you, and for all  users of this cpu's models, all that section can be replaced , in a practical way, only by "use the patched ssdt". Grab it from the stuff folder (it is in a recognisable folder) and drag it to /acpi/patched/ of your usb installer.

The point is: Is the patched ssdt, universal for all cpu models? I can't asure it 100%. But, As I wrote in the guide, some users provided original ssdt from different models, and all of them seems to be identical. Furthermore, I do believe remember, there are several users with your same cpu model with HS and Mojave succesfuly installed..

For the rest of the problems posted using Hugo's patchs I can't comment anything because I don't know what they do. Included the dsdt.

About opencore I dont't knww absolutely nothing (but absolutely!!) I'm completely outdated of last news in hackinstosh scene. But for your comments, opencore is not injecting the patched kext nedded for usb, sata, etc. And indeed, you would need same dsdt fixes

My advice, give one more chance to the guide, using the ssdt cpu-def already patched. And try first with mojave. to discard catalina's specific issues.

Edited by bilbo

Bilbo, thank you so much for the guide! Yes, I will proceed to patch the DSDT, but with the "correct" way OpenCore suggests. My OpenCore solution still took a lot of inspiration from the Clover solution.

Judging from my GeekBench 4 scores, it does seem like PM is working correctly. So Catalina is not a problem! 

The best part is, I was able to use OpenCore to boot Mac OS with my installation media created in Linux. With previous clover experience, I would argue that OpenCore seems quite a bit more straightforward than Clover. I would recommend everyone to try it out. 

I have a question about the Z620 with dual 2697 V2's in it.

I have a High Sierra installation running fine with the dual CPU, but with my most recent Clover version I can't get to boot with the second CPU installed. Do you know what I'm missing?

Just adding -xcpm-ipi doesn't cut it.

My old EFI has a DSDT.aml, SSDT.aml (2x 2697), and SSDT-XOSI.aml. The new EFI folder has SSDT-1.aml as well, from the Z820/Z620 thread on the *other* forum.

For clarification, with two CPU's installed, I get a KP close before finishing boot.

I hope you can shed some light on the issue, as I see you're running a dual CPU in Z620. I am probably missing key information from this thread, but I can't seem to find it. Thanks very much!

EFI new.zip

EFI old.zip

Edited by Allubz

Sorry , I don't understand you. It was running fine until clover update? Why the updated clover has different dsdt/ssdt files before/after the update? Update clover does not affect to dsdt/files (unless new clover version had some specific feature which change patches and fixes in somehow) ... and, btw,  is there other z820 thread? :huh: