[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

606 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, amadeusex said:

So as mentioned earlier i managed to get High Sierra up and running with PM and everything sorted out.

Here's the (not so) funny part. I've installed it on a spare HDD and wanted to migrate to an SSD. Carbon copy cloner did the job just fine with the OS.

Now whatever i tried so far to migrate the EFI from the working HDD to the SSD didn't work.

I mean, the system works but i can't for the love of god make Power management to work again.  

It's the same machine - everything is the same except the drive. I tried to generate SSDT from scratch -nada. DSDT from scratch - nothing.

AICPUPM patching from scratch - nothing. Im close to a nervous breakdown. 

Why does it not work ???

This is really weird! O_o

Have you tried to rebuild kext cache?

sudo kextcache -i /

Additionally, repair permissions:

Let us know!

AC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, amadeusex said:

Here's what i get from the kextcache command.

1800115919_ScreenShot2020-10-31at01_11_33.thumb.png.46c394a3c7c32ba8a332fe902e4a384a.png

I did run the repairpermission command with the -rt flag but to no avail.

So still no PM...

At this point, considering you've a supported GPU, I'll try a fresh Catalina install on your SSD.

You can easily download the installer on App Store, prepare the USB with the usual "createinstallmedia" command and boot with it with OpenCore.

HERE you can find my OC EFI folder (with freshly generated serial no. and UUID). Don't forget to replace DSDT and SSDT with yours in the ACPI folder (after installation).

To install I suggest to simply disable DSDT snd SSDT with OpenCore Configurator. If you need help, please don't esitate to ask!

Let us know!

AC

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, amadeusex said:

@antonio.clb What did you use to install Catalina ? OC or Clover (i'm referring to the installation media creation). I did give it a shot wit OC and had a Kernel Panic.

Right now i'm trying to create an USB installer with Clover.

As yo can see from my signature, I've switched to OC from Clover recently...

Mojave installation were made with Clover following the tutorial and then I upgraded to Catalina if remembering well...

What kind of KP do you receive? It would be useful to have a screenshot...

AC

2 minutes ago, antonio.clb said:

As yo can see from my signature, I've switched to OC from Clover recently...

Mojave installation were made with Clover following the tutorial and then I upgraded to Catalina if remembering well...

What kind of KP do you receive? It would be useful to have a screenshot...

AC

I missed the "disable DSDT snd SSDT with OpenCore Configurator." 
I'll give it another shot with OC right away.

29 minutes ago, amadeusex said:

I missed the "disable DSDT snd SSDT with OpenCore Configurator." 
I'll give it another shot with OC right away.

Download OC Configurator here and start it.

Mount the USB installer EFI partition (alt-M).

Open config.plist (cmd-O then browse for the config.plist in the EFI/OC folder).

Go to "ACPI" section and untick the "Enabled" check on the relevant rows.

Save and reboot.

Let us know.

AC

With disabled ACPI tables (SSDT DSDT etc) OC did boot only to the point to throw a kernel panic.
image.thumb.png.e9123e439eab65e399fb97fcb4a81863.png

I did a High Sierra install from scratch using the SSD i intended to migrate the running system to (from the old HDD i've used) and it turned out to run just fine.
It seems that (at least with my particular configuration) clover and/or powermanagement  is a bit picky about it and doesn't like it.

At least an installation with everything working turns out to be a successful endeavour even with a dual E5-2687W v2 up to High Sierra.

Next on the list is Mojave. Lockdowns and whatnot ahead of us here in Athens.

Thanks again and see you around.

40 minutes ago, amadeusex said:

With disabled ACPI tables (SSDT DSDT etc) OC did boot only to the point to throw a kernel panic.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e9123e439eab65e399fb97fcb4a81863.png

I did a High Sierra install from scratch using the SSD i intended to migrate the running system to (from the old HDD i've used) and it turned out to run just fine.
It seems that (at least with my particular configuration) clover and/or powermanagement  is a bit picky about it and doesn't like it.

At least an installation with everything working turns out to be a successful endeavour even with a dual E5-2687W v2 up to High Sierra.

Next on the list is Mojave. Lockdowns and whatnot ahead of us here in Athens.

Thanks again and see you around.

OK, looks like you need some basic SSDT.

According to Dortania's guide your Ivy Bridge-E CPUs need some basic files.

OCC (OpenCore Configurator) can download them for you. Heade to the ACPI section and click "Download/Update Acpi":

image.png.01782be5d154602429ef58064d17a027.png

then download Dortania's recommended ones for your CPU architecture:

Spoiler

image.png.9ea63cde4a9439690cd4af107ff4082c.png

image.png.6cb62594fc1adbf8867e8c342c6214f8.png

You have do manually download the third one here.

Give it a try and let us know!

AC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, antonio.clb said:

OK, looks like you need some basic SSDT.

According to Dortania's guide your Ivy Bridge-E CPUs need some basic files.

OCC (OpenCore Configurator) can download them for you. Heade to the ACPI section and click "Download/Update Acpi":

image.png.01782be5d154602429ef58064d17a027.png

then download Dortania's recommended ones for your CPU architecture:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.9ea63cde4a9439690cd4af107ff4082c.png

image.png.6cb62594fc1adbf8867e8c342c6214f8.png

You have do manually download the third one here.

Give it a try and let us know!

AC

Gave it a shot and no improvement. 

I remember PM was also hit and miss on my dual 2667's (also unicorns) but I believe the trick is to add the CPU information at the end of your DSDT and not in a separate SSDT. at least that worked for me.

Also I'm on Mojave and everything runs really smooth.

I haven't tested Open Core on this machine yet, but I used my Z820 to install high sierra on a SSD for another computer, and by mistake it booted the open core setup that was on the drive, and of course it crashed as it wasn't meant for this machine, but the NVRAM support was native, which is neat. If I have time I may dig into converting my clover boot to OC. What stops me atm is that I would pretty much be injecting the modified DSDT and that's not the OC way of doing things. You're supposed to use SSDT's to update/remove/add unsupported devices. And like I said before I believe PM worked on this machine because the CPU data was on the DSDT, and only worked sporadically if it was on a separate SSDT.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hugodlc said:

I remember PM was also hit and miss on my dual 2667's (also unicorns) but I believe the trick is to add the CPU information at the end of your DSDT and not in a separate SSDT. at least that worked for me.

Also I'm on Mojave and everything runs really smooth.

I haven't tested Open Core on this machine yet, but I used my Z820 to install high sierra on a SSD for another computer, and by mistake it booted the open core setup that was on the drive, and of course it crashed as it wasn't meant for this machine, but the NVRAM support was native, which is neat. If I have time I may dig into converting my clover boot to OC. What stops me atm is that I would pretty much be injecting the modified DSDT and that's not the OC way of doing things. You're supposed to use SSDT's to update/remove/add unsupported devices. And like I said before I believe PM worked on this machine because the CPU data was on the DSDT, and only worked sporadically if it was on a separate SSDT.

PM works just fine. (at least right now)

Migrating clover to an older Installation with a lot of applications already installed did not work though.
I know it should - it's digital, the same files the same machine etc, but it doesn't.

About Catalina - I've tried both with OC and clover but I can't seem to get clover to boot from the USB installer.
Did anyone succeeded with a z820 ?

10 hours ago, amadeusex said:

PM works just fine. (at least right now)

Migrating clover to an older Installation with a lot of applications already installed did not work though.
I know it should - it's digital, the same files the same machine etc, but it doesn't.

About Catalina - I've tried both with OC and clover but I can't seem to get clover to boot from the USB installer.
Did anyone succeeded with a z820 ?

Any chance to see a screenshot of the KP with Clover too?

8 minutes ago, amadeusex said:

Sure :)

Freshly installed clover (last version) and only the USB stick plugged in. All drives are unplugged.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 11.23.49.png

OK, I've faced this too if remebering well...

Which version of Clover? Please try the r5119, looks like our Z WS have issues with new Clover versions...

Meanwhile, I'm preparing a Catalina USB installer (OC) just to test if it boots...

Let us know!

AC

• Like 1

Additionally: have you tried to reset NVRAM? Press F11 in Clover or select the specific boot entry in OC...

I've just booted Catalina installer with my EFI folder (OC, the one used to normally boot) and it worked flawlessly... Could you please give me your working SSDT and DSDT files? I'll try to build an OC EFI folder for you... ^__^

Edited by antonio.clb