[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

606 posts in this topic

Hi @bilbothanks for your response. The other thread / forum part was a mistake, you can ignore it.

So, I was running High Sierra 10.13.6 with an EFI folder that can't boot Catalina.

I want to run Catalina, and it's working fine with 1 CPU installed, but with the second CPU installed I get a KP at the end of loading.

I would like to know a fix for the second CPU, that's basically it :) I can't seem to find it in this thread, or I apply it wrongly, either way.

EDIT: Both old and new EFI can boot with 1 CPU. I tried patching AICPMPatch in Catalina succesfully, but it doesn't help in this problem.

Edited by Allubz

2 hours ago, Allubz said:

Hi @bilbothanks for your response. The other thread / forum part was a mistake, you can ignore it.

So, I was running High Sierra 10.13.6 with an EFI folder that can't boot Catalina.

I want to run Catalina, and it's working fine with 1 CPU installed, but with the second CPU installed I get a KP at the end of loading.

I would like to know a fix for the second CPU, that's basically it :) I can't seem to find it in this thread, or I apply it wrongly, either way.

Hello!

Could you please post a picture of your screen at the KP?

Which Clover version are the old and the new ones? Recently I tried to update to 5120 but I've faced boot problems and reverted back to 5119.

Additionally, by looking at your config.plist in both EFI (old and new), I've noticed a typo in the new one:

<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>-v npci=0x2000 dart=0 debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 -xcpm-ipi</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>LastBootedVolume</string>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
	</dict>

The correct syntax is "-xcpm_ipi" not "-xcpm-ipi": maybe this is causing the problem!

Let us know!

AC

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

Hey @antonio.clb, thanks for your response!

I'm currently running 10.15.5, aiming for 10.15.6.

In both my current EFI's I have corrected the -xcpm-ipi -> -xcpm_ipi mistake, luckily.

I have a 5119 and 5120 EFI both causing the same problem with a second CPU installed. The 5120 is based on "d4vinder" Github: https://github.com/d4vinder/HP-Z620-Hackintosh-macOS-Catalina. The 5119 is an updated Z620 High Sierra EFI for this machine (which works with two CPU's in High Sierra). I have attached the EFI's to a second post (can only upload 10MB)

[Read below for solution]

If you look at the screenshot, you can see it occurs practically when GPU is loaded (purple stripes), so basically between 80-99% of loading. I'm used to CPU ACPI errors popping up at the beginning, when FakeSMC/VirtualSMC try to load.

What kind of booting problems did you have? Would you mind sharing your EFI? Did you patch AICPMPatch as well (it didn't matter for me, yet).

This is what booting with dual CPU can look like:

IMG_20200804_174515.jpg

[UPDATE ---- SOLVED /w great help from @antonio.clb, thanks again!]

Attached you will find a working Clover (v5119) EFI folder for the HP Z620, with BIOS settings according to d4vinder (linked above), for Catalina 10.15.6 (and below, tested 10.15.5)

It's set up for the following specifcations, insofar relevant for the Clover configuration:

CPU: 2x 2967v2 12-core /w power management (GeekBench3 3000 / 60.000)

GPU: RX580

BT+WiFi: BCM943602CS (went corrupt when updating from 10.15.5 to 10.15.6, fix is here)

Revelant mentions:

CPU:

- Needs SSDT (by ssdtPRGen);

- I used AICPMPatch by the initial post, but I'm not sure if it's needed;

- Clover: PluginType=Disabled, SmartUPS=Enabled, FixHeaders=Enabled, Fixes=FixRegions,DeleteUnused,FixMutex;

- Clover Boot-args: -xcpm_ipi npci=0x2000 (former for dual CPU, latter to pass PCI initialisation);

- Clover CPU: 0x0A01 - follows Xeon E5 (v2) X79 nomenclature;

- Clover KernelToPatch: Multiple xcmp, msr, and other power management related kernel patches for 10.15.x;

- FakeSMC + ACPISensors + GPUSensors + CPUSensors + LPCSensors.

USB:
- Haven't tested transfer speeds, but reports are USB3 is slow and would do with a PCI-E USB3.2 replacement card (discussed in this thread);

- Forked USBInjectAll.kext and according UIAC SSDT (antionio.clb noted this here);

- mXHCD.kext for USB3;

- Set up both Catalina USB Port Limit patches.

Clover:

- I had obtained antionio.clb's EFI folder a short while back, but it had OsxAptioFixDrv.efi and it caused some memory allocation trouble sometimes when booting, replaced by AptioMemoryFix.efi for smooth booting (also cleaned out a lot of #negated garbage from the config.plist)

Again, @antonio.clb - Thanks!

EFI: Clover v5119 Z620 (MP7,1 no serial).zip

Edited by Allubz
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:07 PM, Allubz said:

Hey @antonio.clb, thanks for your response!

I'm currently running 10.15.5, aiming for 10.15.6.

In both my current EFI's I have corrected the -xcpm-ipi -> -xcpm_ipi mistake, luckily.

I have a 5119 and 5120 EFI both causing the same problem with a second CPU installed. The 5120 is based on "d4vinder" Github: https://github.com/d4vinder/HP-Z620-Hackintosh-macOS-Catalina. The 5119 is an updated Z620 High Sierra EFI for this machine (which works with two CPU's in High Sierra). I have attached the EFI's to a second post (can only upload 10MB)

[Read below for solution]

If you look at the screenshot, you can see it occurs practically when GPU is loaded (purple stripes), so basically between 80-99% of loading. I'm used to CPU ACPI errors popping up at the beginning, when FakeSMC/VirtualSMC try to load.

What kind of booting problems did you have? Would you mind sharing your EFI? Did you patch AICPMPatch as well (it didn't matter for me, yet).

This is what booting with dual CPU can look like:

IMG_20200804_174515.jpg

[UPDATE ---- SOLVED /w great help from @antonio.clb, thanks again!]

Attached you will find a working Clover (v5119) EFI folder for the HP Z620, with BIOS settings according to d4vinder (linked above), for Catalina 10.15.6 (and below, tested 10.15.5) 

It's set up for the following specifcations, insofar relevant for the Clover configuration:

CPU: 2x 2967v2 12-core /w power management (GeekBench3 3000 / 60.000) 

GPU: RX580

BT+WiFi: BCM943602CS (went corrupt when updating from 10.15.5 to 10.15.6, fix is here)

Revelant mentions:

CPU:

- Needs SSDT (by ssdtPRGen);

- I used AICPMPatch by the initial post, but I'm not sure if it's needed;

- Clover: PluginType=Disabled, SmartUPS=Enabled, FixHeaders=Enabled, Fixes=FixRegions,DeleteUnused,FixMutex;

- Clover Boot-args: -xcpm_ipi npci=0x2000 (former for dual CPU, latter to pass PCI initialisation);

- Clover CPU: 0x0A01 - follows Xeon E5 (v2) X79 nomenclature; 

- Clover KernelToPatch: Multiple xcmp, msr, and other power management related kernel patches for 10.15.x

- FakeSMC + ACPISensors + GPUSensors + CPUSensors + LPCSensors

USB:
- Haven't tested transfer speeds, but reports are USB3 is slow and would do with a PCI-E USB3.2 replacement card (discussed in this thread); 

- Forked USBInjectAll.kext and according UIAC SSDT (antionio.clb noted this here;

- mXHCD.kext for USB3; 

- Set up both Catalina USB Port Limit patches. 

Clover: 

- I had obtained antionio.clb's EFI folder a short while back, but it had OsxAptioFixDrv.efi and it caused some memory allocation trouble sometimes when booting, replaced by AptioMemoryFix.efi for smooth booting (also cleaned out a lot of #negated garbage from the config.plist) 

Again, @antonio.clb - Thanks!

EFI: Clover v5119 Z620 (MP7,1 no serial).zip

Simply awesome! Thanks for sharing @Allubz!

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 7:00 AM, gigignopechegno said:

hello, someone have run Hp z820 on Catalina with dual processor?
Everything works very well with 1 but as soon as you install the second give kernel panic, while on Mojave everything works.

I have a dual cpu Z820 with E5-2680. Every time I have tried Catalina I have a slew of problems. Devices not responding, might get to the desktop, kernel panics, just horrible. But I run a fully up to date Mojave that’s more stable than my Windows 10 boot. With Big Sur coming, I really wish we could get this or just skip to Big Sur. 

On 9/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, gigignopechegno said:

hello, someone have run Hp z820 on Catalina with dual processor?
Everything works very well with 1 but as soon as you install the second give kernel panic, while on Mojave everything works.

6 hours ago, Blckout0099 said:

I have a dual cpu Z820 with E5-2680. Every time I have tried Catalina I have a slew of problems. Devices not responding, might get to the desktop, kernel panics, just horrible. But I run a fully up to date Mojave that’s more stable than my Windows 10 boot. With Big Sur coming, I really wish we could get this or just skip to Big Sur. 

I'm on Catalina 10.15.3 with my dual-CPU Z620 (not 820, see specs on signature) without issues: updating to 10.15.6 right now...

Look at the post from @Allubz here for more informations.

Let us know!

AC

On 9/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, antonio.clb said:

I'm on Catalina 10.15.3 with my dual-CPU Z620 (not 820, see specs on signature) without issues: updating to 10.15.6 right now...

Look at the post from @Allubz here for more informations.

Let us know!

AC

thanks Antonio, I just had to add a Kext AppleMce and some tricks on Clover config and everything went smoothly, It works very well;)
Now I enjoy Bigsur with Open Core. Nice fast this hpz 820 almost if not better than the Mac pro 2019;)I await the Gpu 5700xt to test better.500380803_Screenshot2020-09-23at18_42_22.thumb.png.d9ad93d05d650a31f9f7e9918da096cc.png

1 hour ago, gigignopechegno said:

thanks Antonio, I just had to add a Kext AppleMce and some tricks on Clover config and everything went smoothly, It works very well;)
Now I enjoy Bigsur with Open Core. Nice fast this hpz 820 almost if not better than the Mac pro 2019;)I await the Gpu 5700xt to test better.500380803_Screenshot2020-09-23at18_42_22.thumb.png.d9ad93d05d650a31f9f7e9918da096cc.png 

This is really super-cool stuff dude!

Could you please share your EFI OC folder and give us further infos on Big Sur installation?

Hope to hear from you soon!

AC

Just now, gigignopechegno said:

I installed Bigsur with the Macbook pro on ssd, to do faster.
Finally I added the CLover EFI folder.

my Hp z820 has 2 xeon 2696v2 with radeon 390x.
Everything works, except the internal SAS. I think kext is at its best for Mojave.

Thanks ;)

EFI.zip

Thanks a lot bro! I'll test it ASAP and keep you updated!

Best regards.

AC

18 hours ago, zxczxc said:

I've to repeat the installation on a solid state drive, this was made on a standard HDD (2,5" 5.400 rpm, the only one nearby...) and was terribly slow... O_o

Anyway, both CPU and GPU were performing well. ^__^

I've also updated my Catalina to the latest 10.15.7 macOS... The only drawback in these updates is that the screen is completely blank but the update goes on... I use to say to my friends nearby: «macOS update in progress It', "keep the faith" time!"» ^__^

I'll keep you all updated as soon as I can find the time for another installation (it's veeeeeeery slow).

Stay tuned!

AC

Hello to everybody!

A quick update on my OpenCore and Big Sur journeys on HP Z620.

I've managed to create a perfect OC EFI boot with OCBuilder (OC 6.2) and a couple of extra kexts!

Catalina 10.15.7 boots and works perfectly, MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, USB 2.0 works perfectly (with the new USBInjectAll.kext supporting MacPro7,1), USB 3.0 has issues (slow speed) but I don't use it, USB 3.1 gen 2 (Asmedia ASM1142) works OOB (no boot from this ports of course), FakeSMC (not VirtualSMC) with full CPU sensors (HWMonitor 6.26.1440 and its kexts), both NICS working (AppleIntelE1000e because with IntelMausi I have only one NIC), NVMe SSD wrongly seen as external can be patched by OC without needing extra SSDT.

I've also tried a Big Sur beta installation over an SSD from scratch with this EFI and it worked flawlessly! Big Sur beta 8 installed and updated to beta 9 yesterday without any issue! Installation tooks long due to "apfs_sealvolume" process during second phase...

HERE you can find my OC EFI folder (with freshly generated serial no. and UUID). Don't forget to replace DSDT and SSDT with yours in the ACPI folder.

Let me know!

Best regards.

AC

Edited by antonio.clb
  • Like 1

And is it easy to setup Open Core? could you post a very short how-to? I don't know nothing about opencore. I can see possible migrate to opencore and left this guide completely obsolete. I cant test anything due to my nvidia. Damn and stupid Apple.

6 hours ago, bilbo said:

And is it easy to setup Open Core? could you post a very short how-to? I don't know nothing about opencore. I can see possible migrate to opencore and left this guide completely obsolete. I cant test anything due to my nvidia. Damn and stupid Apple.

Hello @bilbo! Actually I didin't know anything about OC just a few days ago... ^__^ So I started to study and experimet a bit and, also with help from @gigignopechegno, I've managed to install Big Sur...

I noticed that OpenCore behaves much like a real Mac on many things... At first sight it looks overwhelming compared to our dear old friend Clover but it's only a matter of practice...

I also noticed that using OpenCore Configurator makes life very easy...

I've started from a simple video guide found on YouTube and made some tweaks and improvements related to our HW platform. I've also used DSDT and SSDT from my Clover without any modification.

The result is this EFI folder that works both for installation and normal use with PM and everything else fully functional!

@bilbo I think we can try to write a new guide for Catalina and Big Sur together: it would be a real pleasure!

Let me know your thought, even in pvt if you prefer...

Best regards.

AC

• Like 2

On 10/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, antonio.clb said:

Hello @bilbo! Actually I didin't know anything about OC just a few days ago... ^__^ So I started to study and experimet a bit and, also with help from @gigignopechegno, I've managed to install Big Sur...

I noticed that OpenCore behaves much like a real Mac on many things... At first sight it looks overwhelming compared to our dear old friend Clover but it's only a matter of practice...

I also noticed that using OpenCore Configurator makes life very easy...

I've started from a simple video guide found on YouTube and made some tweaks and improvements related to our HW platform. I've also used DSDT and SSDT from my Clover without any modification.

The result is this EFI folder that works both for installation and normal use with PM and everything else fully functional!

@bilbo I think we can try to write a new guide for Catalina and Big Sur together: it would be a real pleasure!

Best regards.

AC

Dear Antonio, it would be great to have a guide for open core. I'm still going with Clover and everything works well with Mojave, except that my Vega 64 hast no h264 acceleration with Adobe Media Encoder with 6.1 SMBIOS. With iMac Pro 1.1 it has acceleration but USB is not working, any help on that and will it work better with open core?

All the best,

Walter

2 hours ago, walter77 said:

Dear Antonio, it would be great to have a guide for open core. I'm still going with Clover and everything works well with Mojave, except that my Vega 64 hast no h264 acceleration with Adobe Media Encoder with 6.1 SMBIOS. With iMac Pro 1.1 it has acceleration but USB is not working, any help on that and will it work better with open core?

All the best,

Walter

Hello!

Go a couple of posts up and you'll find some hints on MacPro7,1 specs with everything working.

HERE you can find my anonymized EFI OC folder, have fun!

Let us know!

AC

On 10/4/2020 at 8:17 PM, antonio.clb said:

Best regards.

AC

Feel free to write the guide at your own discretion. I don't have any copyright  :D. I'm afraid I can't help , since I stuck in High Sierra, due I have a Nvidia card. If you decide do it, any thing you need, PM me.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, bilbo said:

Feel free to write the guide at your own discretion. I don't have any copyright  :D. I'm afraid I can't help , since I stuck in High Sierra, due I have a Nvidia card. If you decide do it, any thing you need, PM me. 

Thanks a lot!

If I'll find the time to write it, of course I'll give you the deserved credit!

Best regards and thanks again for your hard work: without it we would never have reached this point!

AC

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers to everyone, i sincerely hope that all of You guys are well.

Here's an update on my journey to get proper Power management with my unicorn 2xE5-2687 v2 setup.

I did update my bios to 3.94 and because i'm with a lot of free time on my hands i gave it another shot.

If i recall correctly this is the ssdtPRGen command i used to get it done (there were countless attempts ...)

./ssdtPRGen.sh -mode custom -b Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6 -p 'E5-2687W v2' -l 32 -turbo 4000 -c 3 -target 1

Here's my EFI folder 

EFI Folder (no serial number in config.plist !) 

And here are some screenshots.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 01.16.54.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 01.21.28.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 01.24.49.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 09.58.31.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 09.58.33.png

DSDT.aml

SSDT-1.aml

SSDT.aml

Edited by amadeusex
  • Like 1

So as mentioned earlier i managed to get High Sierra up and running with PM and everything sorted out.

Here's the (not so) funny part. I've installed it on a spare HDD and wanted to migrate to an SSD. Carbon copy cloner did the job just fine with the OS.

Now whatever i tried so far to migrate the EFI from the working HDD to the SSD didn't work.

I mean, the system works but i can't for the love of god make Power management to work again. 

It's the same machine - everything is the same except the drive. I tried to generate SSDT from scratch -nada. DSDT from scratch - nothing.

AICPUPM patching from scratch - nothing. Im close to a nervous breakdown. 

Why does it not work ???