[Guide 2018] Z820 - HIGH SIERRA, The great guide (Sucess)

bilbo

606 posts in this topic

Wonderful post,

Having been follow this thread for some time,  successfully running my Z820 with Dual 2650V2

follow instructions on page 1 with bios setting (running bios 3.91)

install from 10.11

Currently upgrade to 10.12.6 using clover version 5122 without any issue

Originally my display card was NVIDIA GTX760 (plug n play ready)

Recently obtain a second hand MSI RX570 Armor OC 4G with a good price

See below GPU Z screen capture in Win 10

gpuz.gif.fd76f657d04be59b73ac03820a359a99.gif

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/radeon-rx-570-armor-4g-oc.html

Using latest version of Whatevergreen and Lilu Kext still unable to boot and freeze at here:-

boot.thumb.jpg.81777467706e76df7ea8c0999555f36e.jpg

Using Clover Version 5122 Can recognize the card

5122.thumb.jpg.4688beb89f22782e47295713ebe8b19d.jpg

377959098_clovervideocardbootoption.thumb.jpg.0caa828ecb1cfa8419fe7b5432773905.jpg

I also attached a link to my EFI folder for analysis :

EFI

Asking for installation / updating  procedures  in clover and hopefully experts around here can help me out

Really getting desperate   :wallbash:

Regards

Bosica

Edited by bosica
update details

@bosica

Hi.

If you just changed the gpu a deletion of the kext- and kernelcache might be helpful.

F11 at the clover boot screen might also be necessary (to clear the nvram).

Just to add to that - you might have to use the clover version bilbo used to install High Sierra.
I myself got an Rx 580 Graphics card and it works out of the box.

Edited by amadeusex
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:05 AM, amadeusex said:

@bosica

Hi.

If you just changed the gpu a deletion of the kext- and kernelcache might be helpful.

F11 at the clover boot screen might also be necessary (to clear the nvram).

Just to add to that - you might have to use the clover version bilbo used to install High Sierra.
I myself got an Rx 580 Graphics card and it works out of the box.

Thx  i   see   what   i   can   do

Edited by bosica
update details

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 5:43 AM, kishine said:

Hi guys, 

Were you able to use the extra pcie that is only available when a 2nd cpu exist?

thanks

Sorry. No idea. I have two cpus. HP has specifical forums. Have you tried to ask there?

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

finally, I also managed to install Big Sur 11.0.1 and 11.3.1 (after upgrade via terminal) on my z820 with clover r5133 and bios HP z820 version 3.90. Thank you antonio.clb  and amadeusex  very much for your great pioneering work! 

I followed the rules from amadeusex !

BS.png.8495c3b06ec95e532b5394e1c88938ef.png

In the beginning I had SAS working but no audio. After a kext rebuild now I have audio but no SAS anymore ...

The connection to the apple appstore was also not possible, because of wrong network device names en2 and en3 ....

And of course USB 3.0 is not working, but it is there in the PCI list (like in Catalina, where it was working). The ports are dead ...

PCI.thumb.png.d114781c29e59349399bc562064b63ed.png

SAS seems to come up for sec. but ends with an empty system report. Have no idea why ...

SAS.thumb.png.c22f27fb71bd68b1be272ca60cf91f39.png

I attached the EFI folder for those interested.

EFI_BigSur.zip

Edited by Harry Hard
  • Like 1

Hello to everybody!

Long time without updates: I'm a really happy MBP M1 user since a couple of months an "The Beast" is sleeping... ^__^

Anyway, I've just updated to the latest Big Sur without any issue again, here's a screenshot:

immagine.thumb.png.03d3275dffb89ff89fad074eab04d881.png

As usual, you can see my specs (a little outdated OC still performing perfectly) in my signature.

Have fun!

AC

• 3 months later...

Just to two say hi to everyone here. I have been very happy with my HP Z820 running Big Sur 11.5.2. Thanks for bilbo's guide and all the tips learned from here. Everything works great, except on-board USB3 (replaced with a $12 PCI-e card, with VIA LAB chip).

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 11.13.17 PM.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

has anyone successfully installed macOS Monterey already?

My installation gets stuck with the note "... required formware update could not be installed".

I used the OC setup EFI_OC_amadeusex_20201102b.zip

Any idea?

IMG_4411.thumb.jpg.46c1937310672c176da5af530fb7961d.jpg

Edited by Harry Hard

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone can help me out providing some link or  tutorial referring  "how to create a openc ore installer on "HP Z series Workstation"

Recently i obtain both Z620 and Z820  (E5 V2 support) but i have trouble creating open core USB installer. If anyone can provide a link/tutorial for making such will be grateful

Except the Official Guide which is a little bit complicated to digest the material in config setting , i found HP Z series installation guide almost non-exist.

Moreover to the subject above, is there any difference in creating procedures of making say between Mojave and Catalina?

For the time being either 10.14 or 10.15 will be good enough for me to install.

Right now both workstations  operating on osx 10.12 fitted with V2 series CPUs without major troubles  but i need os upgrade these 2 in the future.

Regards

Hackintosh-HP-Z420-Z620-Z820-OpenCore (0.7.1)

This is my OC 0.7.1 setup for HP Z420/620/820 workstations. It supports all three HP models. Tested for latest Catalina and Big Sur.

Catalina 10.15.7 - Everthing works, except Sleep mode and some minor issue with USB3. On-board audio with AppleALC, full CPU Power Management. USB3 at full speed for attached storage device. Other USB3 attaching perepherals, however, is a hit-or-miss (leaving device connected during booting may help).

Big Sur 11.5.2 (Update: 9/2/2021)- Similar to Catalina, but USB3 ports is practically non-funcional. Also, CPU Power Management is not working with Sandy-Bridge CPUs (V1 version of Xeons). In this case, you need to disable loading SSDT_CPUPM.aml, until new pacthes are available. There is no issue, however, for Ivy-Bridge CPUs (V2 version of Xeons). In fact, my testing showed no patching is needed for Apple CPU Power Management (Kernal patch #7 & #8 below are not required). Leaving the two patches in config.plist does not appear to do any harm under Big Sur. So you could remove them, or leave in there if you want dual booting Catalina. For USB3 replacement, you could add a PCI-E card with internal 20-pin header, such as ones based on VLI chip with built-in macOS support (pletty on eBay for ~$13).

Post-install:

1. Update the Serial # & Board Info. The one in this EFI folder is anonymous #, for install only. DO NOT USE IT with your Apple ID!
  2. For full CPU power management, replace "SSDT-CPUPM.aml" (in ACPI folder) with one matching your CPU model. I have provided a few from my systems. Simply overwrite "SSDT-CPUPM.aml" file with an appropriate one. If you have a different CPU from mine, you need to run ssdtPRGen (link) to create a new SSDT file (bilbo's "Z820 - High Sierra, the Great Guide" (here), an excellent resource for Z820 hacking). If you have a mismatched CPU (sometimes SSDT generated from another system won't work), you might experience booting issue (such as "Memory Error" KP). In this case, simply disable SSDT-CPUPM.aml from config.plist. macOs will run just fine, without CPU power management. Once up running, you can generate a correct SSDT specific for your CPU.

My systems:

• Z820/Z620/Z420 (BIOS 3.96)
  • Processors: 1620 v2, 2760 v1, 2650 v2, 2680 v2 (Single or Dual)
  • SSD SATA drive or NvMe SSD on a PCI-E adapter (NvMe: SATA HD is needed to host OC loader)
  • GTX 680 or Radeon 290/390X (Both are supported out of the box)

Credits:

• bilbo's "Z820 - High Sierra, the Great Guide" (here). Also many of the follow-up posts in the same forum. My build wouldn't possible without these guy's work.
  • Dortania's OpenCore Install Guide (Here)

What I did differently:

• Hot-patching of the IRQs conflicts: TMR(0), PIC(2), RTC0(8).
  • This patch is necessary for on-board audio to work with AppleALC. With this hot fix, all key patches can be done with SSDTs, resulting in a more flexable OC loader.

Included in this EFI folder:

• OC 0.7.1 base files (debug version)

• ACPI folder:

• SSDT-EC.aml - For Embedded Controller, via OC Guide

• SSDT-HPET.aml - IRQ patching. Created with SDDTTimes, via OC Guide.

• SSDT-HDEF.aml - for Realtek ALC262 audio injection (Imported from bilbo's DSDT patch)

• SSDT-IMEI.aml - for IMEI (imported from bilbo's DSDT patch)

• SSDT-OTHERS.aml - Misc items placed in here: "SMBus" fix via OC Guide.

• SSDT-UIAC-ALL.aml - USB2 port mapping for HP ZX20's (from bilbo's guide)

• SSDT-CPUPM.aml - Custom CPU SSDT for proper CPU power management. Replace this file with one that matches your CPU model (I have included a few models below). You need to create a new one if your CPU is different. bilbo's guide also has good coverage on this topic, including special instructions for 26X3 & 26X7 CPU variants.

The following are a few CPU SSDTs I created for my systems:

• SSDT-2670.aml - E5-2670 CPU, Single or Dual
    • SSDT-2650V2.aml - E5-2650v2 CPU, ...
    • SSDT-2680V2.aml - E5-2680v2 CPU, ...
    • SSDT-1620v2.aml - E5-1620v2 CPU
  • Kexts folder:

• Lilu.kext
    • WhateverGreen.kext
    • AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
    • VirtualSMC.kext
    • NVMeFix.kext
    • AstekFusion2Family.kext - Z820 SAS controller
    • AstekFusion2Adapter.kext - Z820 SAS controller
    • AppleIntelE1000e.kext - Intel LANs (supports two ports)
    • mXHCD.kext - Old USB3 driver, works for TI-chip with Catalina (mostly), not with Big Sur.
    • USBInjectAll.kext
    • VoodooTSCSync.kext
    • AppleALC.kext
  • ACPI Hot-Patching (config.plist - ROOT->ACPI->Patch)

• "HPE _CRS to XCRS Rename" - Part of the HPET IRQ fix, from OC Guide
    • "TMR IRQ 0 Fix" - Fix TMR (0) IRQ
    • "PIC IRQ 2 Fix" - Fix PIC(2) IRQ
    • "RTC0 IRQ 8 Fix" - Fix RTC0(8) IRQ
    • "EUSB to EH01 Rename" - USB rename
    • "USBE to EH02 Rename" - USB rename
  • Kernal patches (config.plist - ROOT->Kernal->Patch)

• "Apple CPU Power Management Patch #7" - "3E7538" -> "3E9090"
    • "Apple CPU Power Management Patch #8" - "7511B9" -> "EB11B9"

BIOS Setup

Enable UEFI boot, set SATA to AHCI mode, Disable Vt-d, and enable "Legacy ACPI Tables".

Goodluck!

Credit goes to the creator

Edited by Rocky12
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 4:39 PM, Rocky12 said:

I hope that this information helps you good luck

Hackintosh-HP-Z420-Z620-Z820-OpenCore-main.zip 3.11 MB · 25 downloads

Dear Rocky12, I've been trying for 5 days to get your concept up and running with OS Monterey. With Monterey 12.1 and Monterey 12.0.1 on OC 7.4 and 7.7. Unfortunately without success. The boot process of the installation always crashes. Big Sur btw. is no problem at all. What could be the reason?

38:602 00:059 OC: Prelinked status - Success
38:640 00:037 AAPL: #[EB.LD.LKFS|-?] Ok(0)
38:663 00:022 AAPL: #[EB.LD.LKC|-?] Ok(0)
38:686 00:022 AAPL: #[EB|BST:REV1]
38:709 00:022 AAPL: #[EB|CSR:OUT] 0x00000043
38:739 00:030 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|+]
38:763 00:023 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|ADSZ] 0
38:785 00:022 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|KSSZ] 0
38:809 00:023 AAPL: #[EB|SB:SBGMFNS] x86legacyap.im4m
38:833 00:023 AAPL: #[EB|RH:PF] usr\standalone\OS.dmg.root_hash
38:858 00:025 AAPL: #[EB|RH:MF] <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash.x86legacyap.im4m">
38:883 00:025 AAPL: #[EB.LD.LF|IN] 0 1 <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash"> <"0">
38:908 00:025 AAPL: #[EB.LD.OFS|OPEN!] Err(0xE) <"usr\\standalone\\OS.dmg.root_hash">
38:931 00:023 AAPL: #[EB.RH.LRH|P!] Err(0xE) <- EB.LD.LF
38:955 00:023 AAPL: #[EB.BST.FBS|!] Err(0xE) <- EB.RH.LRH
38:977 00:021 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D535463 Size 1
38:998 00:021 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D534163 Size 2
39:021 00:023 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:DT] 2022-01-22T20:56:22
39:045 00:023 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] 2022-01-22T20:56:22
39:067 00:021 AmiShimTimerBoostExit changed current period to 549183

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:38 PM, Rocky12 said:

@Harry Hard upload your working and non-working EFI 

@Rocky12 I 'm very sorry, it took me some time ... thank you for your patience!

Attached are both EFI folders, the working one is based on OpenCore_amadeusex_20201102b.zip.

Audio doesn't work and I haven't found the reason yet.

The non-working EFI is crashing during the booting process.

EFI_Monterey_nonworking.zip EFI_Monterey_Working.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to sell my Z820, so I erased my system drive, but after the deal didn't pan out, I decided to keep it for now, so I rebuilt my system drive, and found a couple of things.

Since it was a new build I decided to give OC a try and found it works but with a big issue. The NVRAM gets corrupted and you can get stuck with a black screen, fans spinning but no bios splash screen. nothing, nada. also no way to reset the bios, CMOS reset, disconnecting power, etc... nothing works. Made me think the motherboard was toast. The only way to get it back from a "bricked" state was to switch the crisis recovery jumper and power on with a USB2 thumb drive (smaller than 1GB formatted in MSDOS MBR with a copy of the Bios.bin file in the top directory). The Z820 read from the drive, but I doubt it wrote/changed anything in the bios itself, but at least it wiped the NVRAM clean and the system came back to life. (Another option that also worked sometimes was to remove a ram DIMM and/or move it to a different slot, forcing the system to rebuild it's cache and clear the error to at least a bootable state where I could reset the bios to factory defaults.

Another glitch I found is that the internal USB3 controller doesn't get turned off on shutdown, so what happens is that the Z820 never really shuts down, but actually it reboots on shutdown and shows an error screen on OSX boot. I have a separate USB3 card so I just disabled the internal USB3 Controller and the problem went away. There is a dortania USB shutdown fix that could also potentially solve this, and also maybe forcing OC to use emulated NVRAM may solve the corruption problem, but I'll leave those tests to someone else. In the end I used the hotpatch method for fixing HPET, IRQ's, USB names, etc... using SSDT's and ACPI renames, but using Clover since it doesn't corrupt my NVRAM. (No DSDT editing/patching needed)

For PM I just dropped the CPU DEF and PM Tables and replaced them with mine, and by doing this I also found that the order in which they are loaded makes or breaks PM, so I believe this was probably the old ghost in the machine for E5-2667's and why PM was hit or miss. When ssdtPRGen generates a new SSDT, this new CPU-PM file is simply named SSDT.aml, and it loads before SSDT-CPU-DEF.aml, so PM doesn't work because the CPU devices haven't been defined by the time the PM makes references to them. By simply naming the ssdtPRGen generated file SSDT-2.aml and the CPU-DEF SSDT-1.aml, then PM works flawlessly and without the need for any other patches in the OS or any other kexts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hackintosh-HP-Z420-Z620-Z820-OpenCore (0.7.8)

For Z420/620/820 systems with Ivy-Bridge CPUs (V2 Xeon on motherboards with BIOS Boot Block date 2013), Big Sur and Monterey supported. Systems with Sandy-Bridge CPUs (V1 Xeon, BIOS Boot Block date 2011) should stay at 0.7.1. unless OC booting issues can be resolved (read below)

Finally took the effort to upgrade the OC to 0.7.8. Due to Secure Boot feature added, I was unable to boot up OC 0.7.2 and higher, for systems with Sandy-Bridge CPUs (i.e. V1 32nm Xeons, BIOS Boot Block date 2011). Either the Picker does not show up , or no macOS partitions show up. There is no issue, however, with systems that running Ivy-Bridge CPUs (V2 22nm Xeons, BIOS Boot Block date 2013).

Monterey 12.2.1 - Can be upraded from Big Sur (tested on 11.6) or fresh installs. Same functionality as the Big Sur. Apart from upgrading to latest OC and kext's, I had to disable VoodooTSCSync.text since it causes kernal panic during booting (same result with CpuTSCSync.kext). I did not notice any performance hit without TSCSync (Geekbench 5 showed the same scores as the Big Sur with TSCSync). If you are upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur, make sure you disable VoodooTSCSync before rebooting.

Big Sur 11.6 - Everything works, except Sleep mode and the on-board USB3 port (TI-chip not supported).

**** NOTE ****: 

You can find my GitHub repository at gitbub.com, search for "Hackintosh-HP-Z420-Z620-Z820-OpenCore", under username "BillDH2k". I can't posted here since the total file size bigger than 10MB.  My 0.7.1 setup was already posted here earlier by @Rockey12.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 2.27.12 PM.png

Edited by Bill Huang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:08 PM, Bill Huang said:

Hackintosh-HP-Z420-Z620-Z820-OpenCore (0.7.8)

For Z420/620/820 systems with Ivy-Bridge CPUs (V2 Xeon on motherboards with BIOS Boot Block date 2013), Big Sur and Monterey supported. Systems with Sandy-Bridge CPUs (V1 Xeon, BIOS Boot Block date 2011) should stay at 0.7.1. unless OC booting issues can be resolved (read below)

Finally took the effort to upgrade the OC to 0.7.8. Due to Secure Boot feature added, I was unable to boot up OC 0.7.2 and higher, for systems with Sandy-Bridge CPUs (i.e. V1 32nm Xeons, BIOS Boot Block date 2011). Either the Picker does not show up , or no macOS partitions show up. There is no issue, however, with systems that running Ivy-Bridge CPUs (V2 22nm Xeons, BIOS Boot Block date 2013).

Monterey 12.2.1 - Can be upraded from Big Sur (tested on 11.6) or fresh installs. Same functionality as the Big Sur. Apart from upgrading to latest OC and kext's, I had to disable VoodooTSCSync.text since it causes kernal panic during booting (same result with CpuTSCSync.kext). I did not notice any performance hit without TSCSync (Geekbench 5 showed the same scores as the Big Sur with TSCSync). If you are upgrading to Monterey from Big Sur, make sure you disable VoodooTSCSync before rebooting.

Big Sur 11.6 - Everything works, except Sleep mode and the on-board USB3 port (TI-chip not supported).

**** NOTE ****: 

You can find my GitHub repository at gitbub.com, search for "Hackintosh-HP-Z420-Z620-Z820-OpenCore", under username "BillDH2k". I can't posted here since the total file size bigger than 10MB.  My 0.7.1 setup was already posted here earlier by @Rockey12.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 2.27.12 PM.png

Simply AWESOME!!! Thanks a lot for your work and keep it up!

Best regards,

AC

2 hours ago, antonio.clb said:

Simply AWESOME!!! Thanks a lot for your work and keep it up!

Best regards,

AC

You are welcome! I leant everything from this forum, starting last summer. I love these HP machines. Have number of them at work and at home.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone ever built a DSDT based off the 3.96 BIOS available at HPs site?
I am having an incredibly difficult time with my Z820, obtained with 3.96 already on it. Works perfectly with an Nvidia GTX780ti... absolutely will not work with any AMD GPU, even my Sapphire RX580 which has been plug-and-play in every other Hackintosh I've built.

I get the usual hung screen you get with AMD cards, but the machine is able to boot, and I'm able to connect to it with Apple Remote Desktop. About this Mac just shows a blank entry for GPU, even though it shows up in system profiler. One weird item is that the GPUs show as being in a slot labeled "Ethernet"... could that have something to do with it?

There's lots of folks on here posting that RX580 works out of the box in these machines so I've come to the conclusion it has to be BIOS related.

Does anyone have a DSDT made for 3.96 bios, or, as an alternative to that, a download link for 3.94, since that seems to be what most people have used?
HP's site only has 3.88, 3.95, and 3.96. 

Ive compiled my 3.96 DSDT using instructions on this thread, its compiled fine with no errors, and like I said already, works perfectly fine with older nVidia GPUs. 

Scratch all that. I have no idea what exact combination of things it took to make this work, but after three weeks of non-stop effort trying to get this thing to boot with any AMD gpu, tonight I gave it another go and some how, some way... my RX580 finally worked.  Couldnt tell you at this time what I changed, hopefully I'll figure it out exactly later. The gods probably saw me make this post mere hours ago and decided to give me a break for finally breaking down to ask for help.

Now on to the next conundrum, why am I getting still waiting for root device when i try to boot off my SSD7103 in R0....

Edited by refinery

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 12:26 AM, refinery said:

Has anyone ever built a DSDT based off the 3.96 BIOS available at HPs site?
I am having an incredibly difficult time with my Z820, obtained with 3.96 already on it. Works perfectly with an Nvidia GTX780ti... absolutely will not work with any AMD GPU, even my Sapphire RX580 which has been plug-and-play in every other Hackintosh I've built.

I get the usual hung screen you get with AMD cards, but the machine is able to boot, and I'm able to connect to it with Apple Remote Desktop. About this Mac just shows a blank entry for GPU, even though it shows up in system profiler. One weird item is that the GPUs show as being in a slot labeled "Ethernet"... could that have something to do with it?

There's lots of folks on here posting that RX580 works out of the box in these machines so I've come to the conclusion it has to be BIOS related.

Does anyone have a DSDT made for 3.96 bios, or, as an alternative to that, a download link for 3.94, since that seems to be what most people have used?
HP's site only has 3.88, 3.95, and 3.96. 

Ive compiled my 3.96 DSDT using instructions on this thread, its compiled fine with no errors, and like I said already, works perfectly fine with older nVidia GPUs. 

Scratch all that. I have no idea what exact combination of things it took to make this work, but after three weeks of non-stop effort trying to get this thing to boot with any AMD gpu, tonight I gave it another go and some how, some way... my RX580 finally worked.  Couldnt tell you at this time what I changed, hopefully I'll figure it out exactly later. The gods probably saw me make this post mere hours ago and decided to give me a break for finally breaking down to ask for help.

Now on to the next conundrum, why am I getting still waiting for root device when i try to boot off my SSD7103 in R0....

@refineryWhat CPUs are you running? Also Clover or OpenCore?