Help installing Mojave on Xeon W-2175 and Asus WS C422 mobo

obus

852 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

...then try to remove the second graphic:)

Thats the obvious solution but not a fix just a bandaid and considering that both cards were working perfectly fine with a different system and Catalina makes me wonder why. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 3:21 AM, yapan4 said:

Try to set an equal time for sleep and displaysleep

Same gonna try a few things, can you share your clover config gonna see if that makes any difference.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:16 AM, Balamut said:

Same gonna try a few things, can you share your clover config gonna see if that makes any difference.

You still can use my EFI from this message https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/335193-help-installing-mojave-on-xeon-w-2175-and-asus-ws-c422-mobo/?do=findComment&comment=2753710 only add you SMBIOS data and npci=0x2000 if needed.

Edited by yapan4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

New C422 Hackintosh. Now Supermicro X11SRA-F based, Clover v.5134

Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 09.19.45.png

There are some issues with this motherboard: :wallbash:
  -if you turn on Above 4G Decoding, the motherboard POSTed into black screen.
  -after any changes in the BIOS settings, the motherboard makes a power-off/power-on cycle.
Asus has no such problems.
Maybe someone knows the reason and the solution, I will be grateful for your help ...

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

Nice to see you succeeded with the X11SRA-F!

All the Gigabyte and Supermicro motherboards I have used for my desktops or for my NAS do a power cycle upon changing BIOS settings. Maybe Asus is an exception to this behaviour? I'm just used to it.

It's strange that Above 4G Decoding has to be disabled for your board. But is there any adverse effect to having it set to "disable"? Do you use npci=0x2000 or 0x3000, which are supposed to also have the same effect as enabling 4G decoding?

Short but big news from my side. I have upgraded my CPU to a second-hand Xeon Platinum 8255C (24 cores @ 2,5 GHz, basically a slightly better bin of the 8260). This "off-roadmap" CPU works in the C621-SU8 motherboard. And while upgrading OpenCore after the change I eventually found the solution to my issues with Mojave and Catalina: Too many quirks!

All Booter quirks except for EnableWriteUnprotector can be disabled. The board then boots and can install or update Mojave and Catalina. :thumbsup_anim: I checked with earlier versions of OpenCore (down to 0.6.6), and they all work, so it was nothing new to OpenCore, just too many quirks inherited from the default setup guide.

Right now my build is running Linux 24/7 for heavy calculations. When these are done, I'll eventually have a nice and smooth-running Hackintosh Pro.

• Thanks 1

@etorix

Thank you for your support and for sharing the results of your experiments.
Supermicro platform is new to me and is now being explored.

Concerning on/of cycles - ASUS does it only in some cases after important changes like UEFI - CSM or so on. But this is not critical, and such Supermicro behavior can be tolerated.

Worse is the behavior when you turn on Above 4G Decolling (there is a Auto, Enabled, Disabled) Avto and Disabled - O'k, Enabled - black screen. Maybe I don't know something, but this situation seems completely abnormal to me. Maybe Supermicro version of Above 4G Decoding has some "system requirements", I don't know...

To install Big Sur, I leave Above 4G Decoding in Auto and add npci=0x2000 boot argument (otherwise the kernel panics on "PCI configuration begin"). What I see when the installation is complete: No sound and USB chipset's ports are not working (Asmedia 2142 works). I also need an injector for the SATA controller on the installation flash drive during installation and on the HDD after installation, otherwise macos does not see SATA disks. On WS C422 Pro/SE I have Above 4G decoding enabled and have no any Audio, USB, SATA problems, no KP, not needed npci=0x2000 bootargument and finally no black screen during POST.
About black screen issue i will be write to Supermicro support, maybe something will tell me...

Glad for your success with OC quirks:thumbsup_anim:, without them your hackintosh has become more apple-native:)

Edited by yapan4

Indeed, my C621-SU8 now uses less quirks than the C246, which were supposed to be much closer to a regular Z390. Maybe I paid too much attention to the warnings that C621 is a quirky and difficult platform, and was too deferent to the quirks suggested by Dortania's guide. :whistle:It was indeed difficult to setup, but at least this board is surprisingly native when correctly set up.

Black screen, no sound, no chipset USB… Congratulations on making it to boot! Unfortunately I cannot help. My Supermicro boards are used for NAS, and I never tried to hackintosh them so I have no idea what is going on with the X11SRA-F.

• Like 1

@etorix

I have some progress with SATA, USB, Above 4G Decoding. No progress with sound and Marvell-Aquantia AQC-108 5Gb/s Ethernet... I continue to research but, I confess, some help would not hurt:)

Update: Sound fixed by change alcid to alcid=28. I'm not sure is it correct layout, but layout 7 from ASUS that has same codec don't work.

Edited by yapan4

On 5/13/2021 at 6:15 PM, yapan4 said:

@etorix

I have some progress with SATA, USB, Above 4G Decoding. No progress with sound and Marvell-Aquantia AQC-108 5Gb/s Ethernet... I continue to research but, I confess, some help would not hurt:)

Update: Sound fixed by change alcid to alcid=28. I'm not sure is it correct layout, but layout 7 from ASUS that has same codec don't work.

I have the X11SRA running on two systems.

Regarding the AQC-108: you need a special Apple firmware to make it work. Unfortunately as far as I know the only way to get this firmware on the Aquantia chip is to install 10.13.3

Did you find a way to boot with Above 4G Decoding enabled?

1 hour ago, rolandino said:

I have the X11SRA running on two systems.

My X11SRA-F motherboard has PCB revision 1.02 and BIOS v2.3. Some BIOS settings and motherboard behavior may differ depending on the revision and BIOS version!

Regarding the AQC-108: you need a special Apple firmware to make it work. Unfortunately as far as I know the only way to get this firmware on the Aquantia chip is to install 10.13.3

I know about this method but have not seen any reports with a positive result, only one negative from the Asrock motherboard...

Did you find a way to boot with Above 4G Decoding enabled?

Yes, but I did not get the positive effect as on Asus when Above 4G Decoding is enabled, so the feasibility of this option on Supermicro is questionable. 

Do you have any ideas?

I'd like to help you @yapan4, but without the board it would be difficult. Also, I only use OpenCore and know very little about Clover.

So the sound issue was as simple as finding the right alcid for this board.

What did you do for Above 4G Decoding, and what is the result? What about USB?

@etorix

Thank you, you have already helped a lot by publishing the results of your experience with the Gigabyte C621 motherboard.

I'm still new to SuperMicro motherboard BIOS settings, so I can make mistakes or draw incorrect conclusions, and the help of an experienced user would be very helpful.

I also try to apply some things from the Asus motherboard and it's not always good despite the same chipsets. For example, sound - for some reason I decided that alkyd = 7 must work on Supermicro as well as on Asus. So instead of trying the rest of the layout for this codec, I went the wrong way. Well, though I wandered not long. I will add that alkyd=16 also works. Is it right, I don't know ... at least the sound worked and that's enough for me (for a start) ...

About Above 4G decoding - I'm not ready to draw final conclusions yet, but after many attempts to configure the BIOS, I finally managed to find a combination when Above 4G Decoding is turned on and there is no black screen during POST. Unfortunately, this does not allow to get rid of the boot argument npci=0x2000 ...

Only USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.6 is used for USB, for now it is enough ...

Screenshots.zip

Edited by yapan4
  • Like 1

Ok, my configuration:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SRA-F, PCB revision v.1.02(Cascade Lake ready), BIOS v.2.3, PSU SuperMicro PWS-865-PQ(DPS-860CB-A) 

CPU: Xeon W-2123

RAM: 32Gb(4x8GB) ECC Registered 2xSamsung M393A1K43BB1-CTD + 2xHynix HMA81GR7AFR8N-VK

GPU: Radeon Pro WX4100, 2xApple LED Cinema Display (24"), Mini DisplayPort connections 

HDD: 2x250Gb SSD Samsung 860 Evo(SATA), macOS + Windows 10

Network: Intel i210 1GB/s + Aquantia-Marvell AQC108 5GB/s, temporary no WI-FI

Soft: MacPro7,1 SMBIOS, macOS 11.4RC(20F71), Clover r5135 

Add: DVD-RW, Fire-Wire 400 Card, 500GB HDD for backup, USB Bluetooth 4.0 CSR

Logitech USB keyboard + Logitech USB Mouse

EFI Folder for already installed Big Sur (attached). Note: motherboard has locked MSR 0x0E2 register so KernelPM must be enabled, in my case Clover automatically enable this patch

BIOS Settings - Coming soon(How to save BIOS settings into file???)

1. BMC Graphic disabled by jumper.

2. Press F3 to load optimised defaults then press F4 to save and reboot.

NOTE: My Hackintosh from signature temporarily unavailable because both machine shared some parts.

X11SRA-F_yapan4_EFI.zip

bootlog.txt

Edited by yapan4

7 minutes ago, rolandino said:

Nope, no side effects, just works without any patches then.

I did this three years ago. What screenshots do you want?

I wonder about DevID after flash because current AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext has no DevID D108

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 22.39.14.png

2 minutes ago, yapan4 said:

I wonder about DevID after flash because current AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext has no DevID D108

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 22.39.14.png

It has device id 107 after flash and system profiler reports AQC107-AFW

2 hours ago, yapan4 said:

Note: motherboard has locked MSR 0x0E2 register so KernelPM must be enabled, in my case Clover automatically enable this patch

You can unlock MSRs 0x0E2 and 0x1AA with UEFIPatch.

See zip file attached.

I do not have my machines with me right now, but I think, I use BIOS version 2.1

Must likely it will work with 2.3 too.

UEFIPatch_0.27.0_mac.zip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yapan4 said:

O'K, thank you, will be prepare my Hack for High Sierra installation:thumbsup_anim:

Make sure to install 10.13.2 and then update to 10.13.3 with the combo updater.

As far as I can remember this was the only way to make it work.

Newer versions of High Sierra won't do the job.

Good luck :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:43 AM, yapan4 said:

I'm still new to SuperMicro motherboard BIOS settings, so I can make mistakes or draw incorrect conclusions, and the help of an experienced user would be very helpful.

I also try to apply some things from the Asus motherboard and it's not always good despite the same chipsets. For example, sound - for some reason I decided that alkyd = 7 must work on Supermicro as well as on Asus. So instead of trying the rest of the layout for this codec, I went the wrong way. Well, though I wandered not long. I will add that alkyd=16 also works. Is it right, I don't know ... at least the sound worked and that's enough for me (for a start) ...

About Above 4G decoding - I'm not ready to draw final conclusions yet, but after many attempts to configure the BIOS, I finally managed to find a combination when Above 4G Decoding is turned on and there is no black screen during POST. Unfortunately, this does not allow to get rid of the boot argument npci=0x2000 ...

I think that npci=0x2000 is necessary on most/all C422/C62x platforms, in addition to Above 4G Decoding.

Alcid layout depends how outputs are wired to the codec, so different values may be needed for different boards, even with the same ALC chip.

Supermicro BIOS are very utilitarian. Black text on blue and grey I suppose? Can you make screenshots? (For instance, by plugging in the IPMI LAN, accessing IPMI from another machine and making screenshots there.)

Your Clover EFI and bootlog were very informative (and, in some places, surprisingly familiar for an OpenCore user… ;)). Many quirks are off already, and if you can install Big Sur there must be native NVRAM.

I don't know what could be done from the Clover side, but based on your folder, here is what I would initially try with OpenCore:

EFI-OC-X11SRA.zip

This is based on your SSDTs and settings. Debug version, so it may take some time but even if it fails to boot at the first attempt, it will drop the ACPI tables for inspection and for making more SSDTs.

NVRAM is emulated at this point, because ACPI tables are necessary to try and make a SSDT.

I notice that you use EnableWriteUnprotector, but the bootlog says that there is MAT, so it may be worth trying with EnableWriteUnprotector=false + RebuildAppleMemoryMap, SyncRuntimePermissions=true. (This is the recommended setting for MAT, but on my Gigabyte boards EnableWriteUnprotector is more stable even when MAT is implemented.)

Both CPM quirks enabled, if you haven't applied @metacollin's patches to the BIOS.

Beware! Configuration is not finished. If you want to try, you need to open Sample.plist (TextEdit, or ProperTree are best) and add Serial, Board Serial (MlB) and UUID under PlatformInfo>Generic (possibly also set keyboard under NVRAM>7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82>Add>prev-lang:kbd), then rename to config.plist.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:44 PM, rolandino said:

You can unlock MSRs 0x0E2 and 0x1AA with UEFIPatch.

Currently used original BIOS, will do that later, thank you.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:29 AM, rolandino said:

Make sure to install 10.13.2 and then update to 10.13.3 with the combo updater.

As far as I can remember this was the only way to make it work.

Newer versions of High Sierra won't do the job.

Good luck :)

The first attempt did not give the desired result. I did not find a special 10.13.2 build for iMacPro and used the regular version 10.13.2 with iMac17.1 SMBIOS. Maybe that's why update 10.13.2 to 10.13.3(via 10.13.3 Combo Updater) was installed, but the Aquantia remained untouched.