iMacPro SMBIOS and new horizens

Cyberdevs

124 posts in this topic

This is not a guide on how to build an iMacPro. If you are looking for a guide on how to build an iMacPro you can read the following topic which will discuss the steps in depth and detail by @KGP-iMacPro

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331658-how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-buildextended-guide/page-1

Here’s the place to discuss the new options and benefits of using the iMacPro SMBIOS

@fabiosun and @SavageAUS

I can confirm that with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS I was able to boot into macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 without the need of using nVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext or NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext or adding the KextToPatch entry to change the board-id to prevent the "No Signal" issue on my 1070 GPU.

The most important part as you mentioned is to add the following information to the "PlatformSupport.plist" which can be found in /System/Library/CoreServices:

I added the board-ID of the iMacPro1,1 which is: Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 under the "SupportedBoardIds" and I also added the iMacPro1,1 under the "SupportedModelProperties"

Otherwise the system will shutdown short after trying to boot into the macOS.

Great job @fabiosun for finding this and thanks for sharing it

With 10.13.2 and Webdriver 104 I have no lag, none what so ever! and I'm downloading the 10.13.3 Combo update right now and once it's done I'm gonna install the Webdriver 157 to see if it performs as smooth as 10.13.2 with 104 Webdriver.

P.S: For anyone whom is going to use these information:

I did my test on an external HDD without compromising my working version of the macOS so please do not mess up your hackintosh.

• Like 6

I can confirm that with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS I was able to boot into macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 without the need of using nVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext or NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext or adding the KextToPatch entry to change the board-id to prevent the "No Signal" issue on my 1070 GPU.

Hi, are U sure just did with iMacPro SMBios only to make it works OOTB? How about other SMBios'es ie. MacPro or others which the real use Nvidia graphics? Sorry, I need a confirmation from Pascal users since my friend was asking this but I have no device atm. Thanks. :)

Hi, are U sure just did with iMacPro SMBios only to make it works OOTB? How about other SMBios'es ie. MacPro or others which the real use Nvidia graphics? Sorry, I need a confirmation from Pascal users since my friend was asking this but I have no device atm. Thanks. :)

Hi there :)

As far as I tested it on some SMBIOSes iMac17,1 and iMac18,2 iMac18,3 which will end up in the black screen situation only iMacPro seems to be working OOTB, but if I remember correctly the config of the GPUs in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext on MacPro6,1 needs to be patched either by AGDP fix app or through the Clover or with using the nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

• Like 1

@fabiosun and @SavageAUS

I can confirm that with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS I was able to boot into macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 without the need of using nVidiaGraphicsFixUp.kext or NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext or adding the KextToPatch entry to change the board-id to prevent the "No Signal" issue on my 1070 GPU.

The most important part as you mentioned is to add the following information to the "PlatformSupport.plist" which can be found in /System/Library/CoreServices:

I added the board-ID of the iMacPro1,1 which is: Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 under the "SupportedBoardIds" and I also added the iMacPro1,1 under the "SupportedModelProperties"

Otherwise the system will shutdown short after trying to boot into the macOS.

Great job @fabiosun for finding this and thanks for sharing it :)

With 10.13.2 and Webdriver 104 I have no lag, none what so ever! and I'm downloading the 10.13.3 Combo update right now and once it's done I'm gonna install the Webdriver 157 to see if it performs as smooth as 10.13.2 with 104 Webdriver.

P.S: For anyone whom is going to use these information:

I did my test on an external HDD without compromising my working version of the macOS so please do not mess up your hackintosh.

Theoretically, you should also be able to avoid issues with iMacPro SMBIOS by using the iMac Pro specific macOS builds. AFAIK, iMac Pro has not yet been merged into the main macOS releases and it is still on its own device-specific builds.

Theoretically, you should also be able to avoid issues with iMacPro SMBIOS by using the iMac Pro specific macOS builds. AFAIK, iMac Pro has not yet been merged into the main macOS releases and it is still on its own device-specific builds.

Yes it hasn't been merged with the main macOS releases that's why we need to add the board-id and the SupportedModelProperties into the platformsupport.plist manually.

But there is a specific macOS update for iMacPro computers which is available on Apple's website and through the AppStore.

Yes it hasn't been merged with the main macOS releases that's why we need to add the board-id and the SupportedModelProperties into the platformsupport.plist manually.

But there is a specific macOS update for iMacPro computers which is available on Apple's website and through the AppStore.

I'm not sure exactly what SupportedModelProperties does. It doesn't list iMac18,3, but its board-id is above. In fact, there are 75 supported board-ids and only 55 SupportedModelProperites values in 10.13.3 . . .

I'm not sure exactly what SupportedModelProperties does. It doesn't list iMac18,3, but its board-id is above. In fact, there are 75 supported board-ids and only 55 SupportedModelProperites values in 10.13.3 . . .

Well my guess is that the board-ids will include the customized versions of the same model of an Apple computer which use the same ModelProperties but with a different board-id.

Or maybe they just didn't feel like to update the ModelProperties :P  :rofl:

Apple is really getting carried away with their new campus and they are just getting more careless about the small details that they used to pay attention to :D

• Like 2

Well my guess is that the board-ids will include the customized versions of the same model of an Apple computer which use the same ModelProperties but with a different board-id.

Possibly, but it seems oddly inconsistent if so. For example, why both MacbookAir7,1 and MacbookAir7,2 since those are so similar, but none of the 13 or 14-series MacbookPros or 18-series iMacs?

Or maybe they just didn't feel like to update the ModelProperties  :P   :rofl:

Apple is really getting carried away with their new campus and they are just getting more careless about the small details that they used to pay attention to  :D

Yeah. I'm thinking this is more likely. ;p
  • Like 1

The board-ids are definitely more crucial than the ModelProperties in this case because you can Install macOS on all of the Apple computers except for the iMacPro.

But respectfully I suggest we stay on topic here, we can create another topic about the subject and continue our conversation there ;)

• Like 1

Hi there :)

As far as I tested it on some SMBIOSes iMac17,1 and iMac18,2 iMac18,3 which will end up in the black screen situation only iMacPro seems to be working OOTB, but if I remember correctly the config of the GPUs in AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext on MacPro6,1 needs to be patched either by AGDP fix app or through the Clover or with using the nVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

OK, thanks for test reports with Pascal.

BTW, WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157 is working fine on my 17E139j with GF119 (no lag issue). But if I still remember correctly, I need to repair-rebuilt kernel cache several times, 'rebuild_dyld_shared cache' first... otherwise I got black screen issue. I never use AGDPFix for my graphics, neither using NvidiaGraphicsFixup.. Uhmb, not such easy to conclude on different Nvidia models though.. but what I get now, I don't need to use iMacPro SMBios to make it works. A good old day #LoL

• Like 1

The board-ids are definitely more crucial than the ModelProperties in this case because you can Install macOS on all of the Apple computers except for the iMacPro.

But respectfully I suggest we stay on topic here, we can create another topic about the subject and continue our conversation there ;)

Yeah. Connection being I'm seeking the phantom new SMBIOS check that seems to be triggering the lag on the Nvidia 156/157 10.13.3 driver.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/324195-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-macos-high-sierra-update-01252018/?p=2579081

Other Nvidia SMBIOS checks can be fixed/patched out by various tools, techniques, and kexts like NvidiaGraphicsFixup. But it seems this driver has introduced a new one and progressing down the "wrong" logic path triggers the lag. At least, that's my thought for now.

OK, thanks for test reports with Pascal.

BTW, WebDriver-387.10.10.10.25.157 is working fine on my 17E139j with GF119 (no lag issue). But if I still remember correctly, I need to repair-rebuilt kernel cache several times, 'rebuild_dyld_shared cache' first... otherwise I got black screen issue. I never use AGDPFix for my graphics, neither using NvidiaGraphicsFixup.. Uhmb, not such easy to conclude on different Nvidia models though.. but what I get now, I don't need to use iMacPro SMBios to make it works. A good old day #LoL

Those fixed are for some specific Macs with specific board-ids it totally depends on which SMBIOS you use for your hackintosh.

AFAICT, the pattern is: People using Macs or Hacks with an Nvidia SMBIOS, that is a SMBIOS for a Mac that really has an internal Nvidia card, have no issue with this driver.

Per Nvidia's site, the Nvidia SMBIOSes are: MacPro5,1, MacPro4,1, MacPro3,1, iMac14,2, iMac14,3, iMac13,1, iMac13,2, MacBookPro11,3, MacBookPro10,1, and MacBookPro9,1.

People with hacks with Nvidia cards or real Macs using Nvidia cards over eGPU have lag if they do not use an Nvidia SMBIOS. It doesn't seem to matter what the type of card is. It is possible that Skylake+ systems have worse lag. The lag is proportional to resolution, and the high CPU usage by WindowServer suggests some sort falling back on software rendering. It is not a library validation issue. Transparency all exists where it should. The issue is lag, occasional artifacts, and display detection failures, especially after sleep and/or display idle off.

All the connections to SIP or Fixup kexts/tools seem to be moot, aside from the fact that none of the Fixup kexts/tools can fix this issue.

From what I can tell, the Fixup kexts/tools need an update for this or Nvidia has to fix it since it affects real Macs too.

https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/tickets/10/

This seems to be accurate. Mainly there are three types of Macs :

1. The ones with the Intel GPU

2. The ones with the nVidia GPU

3. The ones with the AMD GPU 

Some of these Macs use a dual GPU profile and each of them use a specific config map in the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy. That's why we need to choose the closest SMBIOS to our hardware configuration and in regard to the CPU PowerManagement.

• Like 1

Those fixed are for some specific Macs with specific board-ids it totally depends on which SMBIOS you use for your hackintosh.

This seems to be accurate. Mainly there are three types of Macs :

1. The ones with the Intel GPU

2. The ones with the nVidia GPU

3. The ones with the AMD GPU 

Some of these Macs use a dual GPU profile and each of them use a specific config map in the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy. That's why we need to choose the closest SMBIOS to our hardware configuration and in regard to the CPU PowerManagement.

Right. Problem is when the needs conflict. Like on a SKL/KBL hack with Nvidia Graphics. Do you go with a SKL/KBL SMBIOS for better CPU, iGPU, and chipset support or an Nvidia SMBIOS for better graphics support? You'd think the former, since it's more significant, but then you end up with graphics issues . . .

To resolve this, we need various fixups. And we run into issues as the Webdrivers change, like we've got with the 156/157 drivers. Fortunately, in this case it also seems to be affecting real mac users with eGPUs, and that does seem to be the "primary" purpose of the Webdrivers these days.

• Like 1

Right. Problem is when the needs conflict. Like on a SKL/KBL hack with Nvidia Graphics. Do you go with a SKL/KBL SMBIOS for better CPU, iGPU, and chipset support or an Nvidia SMBIOS for better graphics support? You'd think the former, since it's more significant, but then you end up with graphics issues . . .

To resolve this, we need various fixups. And we run into issues as the Webdrivers change, like we've got with the 156/157 drivers. Fortunately, in this case it also seems to be affecting real mac users with eGPUs, and that does seem to be the "primary" purpose of the Webdrivers these days.

IMHO if one is going to build a hackintosh it's best that they clone the exact same hardware spec as the real Mac version of it if they want to have a stable and hassle free hackintosh the closest the specs are the less the headache.

But they main joy in hackintoshing is the whole challenge and pushing the limits and the thinkering.

I believe the guys at nvidia don't have the full support of Apple because of the tension between those two companies and it is affecting their users and it's ending up in the crappy performance of the web drivers for Mac and hack users specially the ones with the Kepler, Maxwell and the Pascal GPUs either in the form of eGPUs or the PCIe form factor.

• Like 1

@fabiosun and @SavageAUS

If this is the only benefit? Of running the iMacPro1,1 smbios I'll stick to iMac17,1.

How was cpu power management? Did you use an SSDT? DSDT?

Can someone using the iMacPro1,1 smbios please create a topic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If this is the only benefit? Of running the iMacPro1,1 smbios I'll stick to iMac17,1.

How was cpu power management? Did you use an SSDT? DSDT?

Well about the benefits of using iMacPro SMBIOS instead of iMac17,1 we need more time to check the whole bunch of stuff and see if that's the only benefit of using it or not. It was so late and I couldn't stay up to test much but I will test more in couple of days.

• Like 2

I have shared my experiences with new iMac Pro 1.1 Smbios and "special"OSX version for it downloadable with latest script

Tested with Maxwell and Pascal GPU clean and dirty installation (update from a working OSX)

Most important benefit is you don't need any kext/dsdt patches/config.plist patch/Agdpfix app or similar things if you have had them to rename GFX0 to GFX1 or to none (in manual way)(applegrapfhicdevicecontrol info.plist)

Other important news is, for unsupported CPU, CPU frequency vector integrated injection.

Previously you have to inject different FV smbios to have FV count set to 1 (otherwise 0)

SSDT for Unsupported CPU or inject pluginType=1 in other ways it is necessary yet to have XCPM=1

In my case, with rig in my signature, from Sierra OSX I have had always same benchmark, same temperatures, same behavior with/or without a canonic "working" XCPM also without an SSDT for CPU

So, in my case the most important thing is I can use iMac Pro smbios without having to patch Apple Graphics policy

Is it worth?

I think so

My reason could be different from yours

:)

hi fabiosun,

when you use iMac Pro SMBios with high sierra 10.13.2, does updates shop up in App Store?

When i use iMac pro, no updates are showing, and when i try to install the "macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update for iMac Pro" from downloaded dmg,

then i´ll get an error "this update can only be installed in APFS formatted disks".

I'm wondering... my disks are APFS ??

The only way for me is using the complete mac os 10.13.3 installer app for iMac Pro.

Is it worth?

I think so

My reason could be different from yours

:)

What you just shared is good enough for me to switch from iMac17,1 to iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS if only the CPU PM works and I manage to get all the speedsteps right.

Unfortunately I have to go on a trip for few days and I can't do my tests until I get back. In the meanwhile I'll be checking in to see if there's any news from you guys.

hi fabiosun,

when you use iMac Pro SMBios with high sierra 10.13.2, does updates shop up in App Store?

When i use iMac pro, no updates are showing, and when i try to install the "macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update for iMac Pro" from downloaded dmg,

then i´ll get an error "this update can only be installed in APFS formatted disks".

The only way for me is using the complete mac os 10.13.3 installer app for iMac Pro.

I installed it on an external HDD and despite changing the format of the disk to APFS I get the same error, I guess I have to use an internal SSD disk just to see if I can get pass the error which is a task for another time once I'm back.

Cheers

hi fabiosun,

where you foundthe complete mac os 10.13.3 installer app for iMac Pro ?

Sorry SammlerG maybe I don't understand well

I repeat here my initial steps

I come from MacPro6.1 HighSierra 10.13.2 (ssd Apfs formatted)

Here I Have modified platformsupport.plist with ImacPro1.1 board type and create a proper SMbios with latest clover configurator

then I have updated when App Store propose it to me (In my case about 1 hour from my first reboot with iMac Pro Smbios)

Then when I have verified a correct and "perfect" function on my rig I did a clean install

In this forum you can search for some Curl terminal command on Extensive KGP guide

Then I created an USB pen with a special app created by @gengik84 (Thank you @gengik84) because in my case traditional installer creation it was not working

I use same EFI for instal and post installation steps

I attach here my complete folder (all kext used are there, clean installation method)

Now I am on  17D2047

This is EFI is working well also in 10.13.4 beta1 (matchOS added for new USB port limits for it)

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:50 AM, SammlerG said:

hi fabiosun,

Edited by Guest