Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS High Sierra (UPDATE Nov 13, 2020)

fantomas
2,046 posts in this topic

I've got a curiosity. :)

People for which driver .156/.157 works perfectly (no lag/stuttering etc), did you guys make a clean installation of the said driver? Or update from .104? I'm trying to find a pattern here. Cause it can't be a coincidence.

Also, are you using default/unpatched/untouched/unedited/unhacked/virgin/original/official/pure/vanilla ice cream Nvidia driver, or are you using a modded version?

AFAICT, the pattern is: People using Macs or Hacks with an Nvidia SMBIOS, that is a SMBIOS for a Mac that really has an internal Nvidia card, have no issue with this driver.

Per Nvidia's site, the Nvidia SMBIOSes are: MacPro5,1, MacPro4,1, MacPro3,1, iMac14,2, iMac14,3, iMac13,1, iMac13,2, MacBookPro11,3, MacBookPro10,1, and MacBookPro9,1.

People with hacks with Nvidia cards or real Macs using Nvidia cards over eGPU have lag if they do not use an Nvidia SMBIOS. It doesn't seem to matter what the type of card is. It is possible that Skylake+ systems have worse lag. The lag is proportional to resolution, and the high CPU usage by WindowServer suggests some sort falling back on software rendering. It is not a library validation issue. Transparency all exists where it should. The issue is lag, occasional artifacts, and display detection failures, especially after sleep and/or display idle off.

All the connections to SIP or Fixup kexts/tools seem to be moot, aside from the fact that none of the Fixup kexts/tools can fix this issue.

From what I can tell, the Fixup kexts/tools need an update for this or Nvidia has to fix it since it affects real Macs too.

https://sourceforge.net/p/nvidiagraphicsfixup/tickets/10/

• Like 3

Here's what I have:

• Patched NVDARequiredOS > 17E in info.plist of NVDAStartupWeb.kext so I can use it on 10.12.4 beta 1 (17E139j) and up

All works flawlessly :) : no lags, apps OK, etc.

Only thing that's not right is that I lost HDMI audio in 10.13.4…

Awesome tips (NVDARequiredOS=17E), thanks @polyzargone; it also works for my GT 520M (Fermi).

Already tried under 10.13.4 Beta with different SMBios'es (MBP10,1, MacPro6,1, iMac14,2 & iMacPro1,1); all are just fine.

But on my case, I need to install WebDriver 387.10.10.10.25.157 with SIP Enabled, otherwise I get no WindowServer loaded (caused of WebDriver validation issue, or whatever is IDK..) then reboot with SIP Disabled. I also didn't use NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.

(A little bit #OOT, related to Nvidia though) The good news with 10.13.4 Beta, now my GF119 is able to Logoff-Reboot-Shutdown normally w/o WindowsServer crash issue (known problem since 2 years ago: Sierra). Enjoy!  :)

MKJRCP4.jpg

• Like 1

Can you post a screenshot of your desktop?  Do you have a translucent Dock, or is it opaque?  This sounds like a classic case of an unaccelerated desktop due to Library Validation issues (i.e. the Window Server isn't loading the driver because it hasn't been validated correctly).

Ohh come on. Of course I have a translucent dock. 1st time, the animation is super choppy. Next time it animates correctly.

• Like 1

for my case, the 980TI don't work. Not showing up with 10.3.3, 10.13.4 Beta, SMBios Mac Pro 6,1, iMac Pro 1,1, iMac 14,2. 

Yesterday i borrowed a 1070TI from a friend, installed the card and fired up the hack.

It boots fine, webdriver loaded and full acceleration with no lag or problems, tested with all of my 3 test partitions.

No problem with 10.13.3 or 13.4 beta, Mac Pro 6,1 or iMac pro 1,1 - everything was working perfect.

Now i installed my 980TI as 2. GPU, and same as before with GT740+980, the 1070 is working perfect, 980 not.

Only a 980TI installed, NVDAStartupWeb.kext is not loaded.

So i think the webdrivers are not the main problem, there must be something else.

• Like 1

SammlerG, have you tried to use an old 10.13.2 Nvidia driver?

Some time in kext load extension Nvidia have strange behaviour

Often are sip related behaviour

you should also verify in a non working condition  to force with boot menu clover space bar option NVDA_drv=1 flag

for my case, the 980TI don't work. Not showing up with 10.3.3, 10.13.4 Beta, SMBios Mac Pro 6,1, iMac Pro 1,1, iMac 14,2. 

Yesterday i borrowed a 1070TI from a friend, installed the card and fired up the hack.

It boots fine, webdriver loaded and full acceleration with no lag or problems, tested with all of my 3 test partitions.

No problem with 10.13.3 or 13.4 beta, Mac Pro 6,1 or iMac pro 1,1 - everything was working perfect.

Now i installed my 980TI as 2. GPU, and same as before with GT740+980, the 1070 is working perfect, 980 not.

Only a 980TI installed, NVDAStartupWeb.kext is not loaded.

So i think the webdrivers are not the main problem, there must be something else.

I'm wondering, have you had checked the Google Maps page (in a satellite view) in the Firefox browser with enabled 'Use recommended performance settings' feature?

I had a black page instead of a map till the latest driver release. The current driver seems to make it better, there is a normal map view but there is an issue with text, sometimes it appears as a solid color rect.

SammlerG, have you tried to use an old 10.13.2 Nvidia driver?

Some time in kext load extension Nvidia have strange behaviour

Often are sip related behaviour

you should also verify in a non working condition  to force with boot menu clover space bar option NVDA_drv=1 flag

yes, tested with old driver, same result. 

And also with a clean install, SMBios imacpro1,1, 10.13.3 and many versions of webdriver. Same result, the Zotac 980TI not working. GT 740 and 1070 working.

SIP 0x00 or 0x67.

tonight getting another GTX 1080TI for a new test...   

another question: with iMac Pro 1,1 SMBios, how get you X86PlatformPlugin and X86PlatformShim loaded? 

I have done nothing

In my case, clean install of  17D2047 with my usual config and efi

only ssdt I have to use to have XCPM =1 is CPU ssdt (piker alpha script) other ways I have XCPM=0

Vector count is always set to 1 only using iMac Pro 1.1 Smbios in my case

another question: with iMac Pro 1,1 SMBios, how get you X86PlatformPlugin and X86PlatformShim loaded? 

I have installed modified 106 driver for 10.13.3 and it works with no lag and stutter. This is the best temporary solution till the time Nvidia gets their act together and releases fixed driver.

When they concentrate too much on low end card like 1070Ti, they forget mid end card like 1080Ti. :P

• Like 1

now i got both 980TI working with 13.13.3.

This was my solution:

i booted 10.3.2 system with SIP enabled, then i uninstalled the Nvidia driver with preference panel / driver manager / uninstall.

then reboot with SIP enabled (0x00) an installed v .104 again and reboot. 

then installed 10.3.3 with iMacpro1,1 SMBios from KGPs guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331658-how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-buildextended-guide/)

curl http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/16/14/091-62779/frfttxz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/BaseSystem.dmg -o BaseSystem.dmg

i did a complete install,  booted with nv_disable and patched v.104 driver for 17D47 with NvWeb_Patcher.app and reboot. 

Now my 980TI working!

try to use this from @ricoc90

you can take any Nvidia driver and patch for you current OSX version

Can anyone link me instructions on downgrading to older nvidia drivers?

I know i have to patch a file somewhere.... Thanks!

PS: I'm on 10.13.3 having lag issues. Nvidia 387.10.10.10.25.156

If it helps any of the wizards figure this out:

I have two systems:

1. Z370 with 8700k + Nvidia GTX 960.   I installed 10.13.3 and things work fine. 

2. Z270 with 7700k + Nvidia GT 740.  On this machine, the graphics lag and suck.

I reversed machine #2 to 10.13.2 for now.

I am also experiencing much worse performance than the previous drivers (and even they weren't great).

It's a shame because a Pascal card should be a powerhouse, but it's barely functional. My display won't even wake from sleep when the OS turns it off now.

Same here, but system does eventually wake up. Takes up to 2... minutes! Whole system is very slow and laggy. Artifacts too.

post-2298827-0-20347000-1517243443_thumb.png

17D47 and 156.

Guys, I just removed 2 pages of 'off topic' (or potentially) posts. I know it is hard to stay focused on the main thread, as dealing with webdrivers pushes us necessarily to talk about of the rest.

But I'm asking you to do your best. I'm counting on you.  ;)

BR

fantomas1

• Like 2

now i got both 980TI working with 13.13.3.

This was my solution:

i booted 10.3.2 system with SIP enabled, then i uninstalled the Nvidia driver with preference panel / driver manager / uninstall.

then reboot with SIP enabled (0x00) an installed v .104 again and reboot. 

then installed 10.3.3 with iMacpro1,1 SMBios from KGPs guide (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331658-how-to-build-your-own-imac-pro-successful-buildextended-guide/)

curl http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/16/14/091-62779/frfttxz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/BaseSystem.dmg -o BaseSystem.dmg

i did a complete install,  booted with nv_disable and patched v.104 driver for 17D47 with NvWeb_Patcher.app and reboot. 

Now my 980TI working!

Is there a way to get it working with the SMBIOS MacPro6.1?

My 980Ti also stopped working after updating to 10.13.3.... after boot a black screen..... there is a signal coming to the monitor but the card is sending a black screen..... so it seems unrelated to the black screen problem of MacPro6.1

you can boot with nv_disable=1 and without use NvidiaWeb or nvda_drv=1 Clover patches.

also disable/boot without: NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext, Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, CodecCommander.kext.

then remove not working webdrivers and install WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.106.pkg

you can use helper programs for this... google for webdriver.sh on GitHub or use Nvidia Payload Packager...

for webdriver.sh:

build webdriver and remove old driver - open terminal and

sudo webdriver -r
sudo webdriver -cu https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.10.10.10.25.106.pkg
sudo webdriver -m

this works with 10.13.3 17D47 and 17D2047. And only patched V.104 or .106 works here, .156 or .157 not.

• Like 5

Hallo SammlerG

It is indeed working with the previous drivers!!!

I did exactly what you recommended and happy to report that I now have the 980Ti working again in 10.13.3.

The new drivers are indeed a problem for the 980Ti.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Mike

• Like 2

@AppleIIGuy

I tried to install the newest drivers 387.10.10.10.25.156 with enabled SIP and it also works great. I thought that enabling SIP was not necessary anymore. In the future I will always use enabled SIP for Nvidia updates just to be on the safe side.