How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

KGP-iMacPro

iMacPro Build/Guide Feedback   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this guide help you in your endeavour?

• yes
    • no

This poll is closed to new votes

656 posts in this topic

You are totally right.. I checked before my 10.13.3 build by mistake.. and there the system profiler was of course iMac Pro. Now checking the 10.13.4 beta1 build it says iMac.. OMG :rofl: ... Also caught the standard 10.13.4 beta1 build via the Appstore update.. :(

So we might have to download the basesystem.dmg for the 10.13.4 beta1 iMac Pro Update separately... More work to be done... 

i think we must wait for new iMacPro beta.

So you think there is no iMac Pro 10.13.4 beta 1 yet?

no i think apple will integrate it into main system with this beta, in the PlatformSupport.plist there is Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.

that's why we wait for next betas and see if it is like this or iMac Pro get own betas like 10.13.3.

no i think apple will integrate it into main system with this beta, in the PlatformSupport.plist there is Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94.

that's why we wait for next betas and see if it is like this or iMac Pro get own betas like 10.13.3.

But when the Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 is already in the PlatformSupport.plist, it should work already now.. 

Done :

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%...100%...

Copying installer files to disk...

Copy complete.

Making disk bootable...

Copying boot files...

Copy complete.

Done.

imac-de-laurent:~ laurent$

Let's go !

This night will be interesting !

• Like 1

But when the Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 is already in the PlatformSupport.plist, it should work already now.. 

yes it works but not completely, (its like you just edit the PlatformSupport.plist on 10.13.3 build 17D47 for example).

the next betas will show it  :yes:

• Like 1

For the fun I have achived the  USB installer "You like Very Much"

d /Volumes/Super\ USB\ I\ Like\ It\ Very\ Much
mkdir .IABootFiles
cd  .IABootFiles
cp /Volumes/Super\ USB\ I\ Like\ It\ Very\ Much/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi .

With the terminal command:

Code (Text):
ls boot.efi

and boot.efi is now S/L/CoreServices

:)

post-1879825-0-65125100-1517343994_thumb.png

• Like 1

mkdir .IABootFiles

cd  .IABootFiles

cp /Volumes/Super\ USB\ I\ Like\ It\ Very\ Much/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi .

Code (Text):
ls boot.efi

So now EFI-Folder with correct VoodooTSCSync.kext and ready to go  :wink_anim:

• Like 1

mkdir .IABootFiles

cd  .IABootFiles

Code (Text):
ls boot.efi

ummmm... did not see what you meant before!  

That's again totally wrong! After the copy, the boot.efi should be in /.IABootFiles!!

you have to copy it FROM S/L/CoreServices TO /.IABootFiles!!!

when you do the cp, your are already in /.IABootFiles. Thus, if after the cp you do 

"ls boot.efi", you should get as an answer "boot.efi", because it is in the same directory you are.. 

if you do not get any answer or something like "file not found" you did again everything wrong. 

You understand?

• Like 1

Yes you''re right .IABootFies is missing on my USB  :no:

I must find the way to have this folder or make another USB installer .

It is a hidden directory:

Let's suppose your USB is called "MyUSB", o.k.?

Look:

a.) you go in terminal to your USB Drive

"cd /Volumes/MyUSB/" 

now you are on your usb drive

b.) Now you created the directory .IABootFiles/

"mkdir .IADBootFiles"

c.) now you go to /.IABootFiles/

"cd .IABootfiles/"

d.) now you are on your USB Drive in the directory  /.IABootFiles/

e.) now you make "ls"

and you will see from the terminal response that the newly created directory yet is empty

d.) now you copy FROM the /System/Library/CoreServices/ directory on your USB Drive the boot.efi file  to your /.IABootFiles/ directory on your USB Disk

As you are already in /.IABootFiles/, the destination directory of the copy command is simply the dot "." at the end of the command, which directs the data you want to copy to the place where you are, which is /.IABootFiles/. What you copy with the command is  boot.efi, which yet is only in /System/Library/CoreServices/.

Thus, the entire command looks like this:

"cp /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi ."

If you now make an "ls" in the terminal, the result will be "boot.efi", which you just copied from /System/Library/CoreServices/ 

If "ls" returns "boot.efi" in the terminal , you successfully copied "boot.efi" to /.IABootFiles/

Do you understand?

have a sound sleep... off to bed..  :wink_anim:

Yes I'll manage that , but they are some files in IABootFiles in another installer I made for 10.3.3 : prelinked kernel, plateforme support plist "etc..." : it's wrong if those files are missing ?

Yes I'll manage that , but they are some files in IABootFiles in another installer I made for 10.3.3 : prelinked kernel, plateforme support plist "etc..." : it's wrong if those files are missing ?

you just need boot.efi THERE! 

All you have to do are the 4 lines of code in my guide... 

Nothing else

good night... 

• Like 1

Ok tank's for your help : I must read your very helpful guide another time !

Have a good night too ( I remember another post you made and a had appreciate the title "Live The Future": that's the way...)

• Like 1

you just need boot.efi THERE! 

All you have to do are the 4 lines of code in my guide... 

Nothing else

good night... 

Just couple things I ran into on my system, if I don't use the NvidiaFixup I do not get the Animated Apple Logo prior to Login to desktop and I have issues with latest LPCSensors if I run any liquid cooler using the headers for CPU pump, the pump does not work, I have to disable LPC sensors including Rehabman's fork.  The bug has been posted on github.

Just couple things I ran into on my system, if I don't use the NvidiaFixup I do not get the Animated Apple Logo prior to Login to desktop and I have issues with latest LPCSensors if I run any liquid cooler using the headers for CPU pump, the pump does not work, I have to disable LPC sensors including Rehabman's fork.  The bug has been posted on github.

I use a special fork of the HWsensor distribution published by @interferenc on GitHub. Everything still beta.. providing sensor information only for 10 out of 36 threads.. HWMonitor.app leads to a malfunction of my PWM fans. I use iStat Menus instead ..

I opened a ticket on https://sourceforge.net/p/hwsensors/hwsensors3/tickets/2/ , which unfortunately remained without any action or response.  

Animated Apple Logo?

Hi, I have recently installed Macos 13.3.3 through a guide for Coffeelake + Gigabyte motherboard.

Some details about the system:

- It is installed as an iMac 18,3(?)

- it uses two adapted kexts for LG Ultrafine 5K monitor:

https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K(maybe I can leave this out with the iMacPro1,1 approach?)

https://github.com/aerror2/CoreDisplayFixLG5K

The graphics acceleration is pretty bad on MacOS 10.13.3 with the latest Webdriver, and I found this iMacPro topic while reading through the forums. (Note that the HW works fine on windows 10)

Would it be possible to convert the Macos install iMacPro1,1 without doing a clean install? 

I would like to experiment just by modifying the EFI partition on an USB drive if possible.

The reason I would attempt it is for better NVIDIA graphics acceleration performance, not sure if that makes any sense?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Feel free to delete the post if its offtopic

Hi, I have recently installed Macos 13.3.3 through a guide for Coffeelake + Gigabyte motherboard.

Some details about the system:

- It is installed as an iMac 18,3(?)

- it uses two adapted kexts for LG Ultrafine 5K monitor:

https://github.com/aerror2/NGFixLG5K(maybe I can leave this out with the iMacPro1,1 approach?)

https://github.com/aerror2/CoreDisplayFixLG5K

The graphics acceleration is pretty bad on MacOS 10.13.3 with the latest Webdriver, and I found this iMacPro topic while reading through the forums. (Note that the HW works fine on windows 10)

Would it be possible to convert the Macos install iMacPro1,1 without doing a clean install? 

I would like to experiment just by modifying the EFI partition on an USB drive if possible.

The reason I would attempt it is for better NVIDIA graphics acceleration performance, not sure if that makes any sense?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Feel free to delete the post if its offtopic

You can convert at any time to iMac Pro  :wink_anim:  you are always welcome here.. :thumbsup_anim:

Just follow Section D.1) and D.5).. In your case, I also recommend to read Section C.1) and E.2) before..   :wink_anim:

Good luck 

• Like 2