INFOTHREAD "Nebukadnezar" (AMD+INTEL 10.4.8 Kernel)

semthex

466 posts in this topic

Hmm, seems any kernel I try this is all I get.

1000411wb7.th.jpg

Its like it freezes right there.

Mine freezes right there, too, Chevelle. I did a little investigating and discovered it's that I have to disable ACPI (which OSX then "discovers") for my other installs to work (I get ACPI kernel panics) and it doesn't appear to like that at all any more.

That's the issue facing me at the moment. I hope it's any help to you or that maybe someone might be able to guide me in a right direction...

I am aware of rammjet issues but it's very specific and I just can't handel it yet. I got a job too and SSE2 support (which covers a large userbase) is priority first. On man can just do one thing at a time and my whole free time is covered by this.

Please remember I am doing this for free, the donations I get don't even cover a bit of the time I invested and still invest in this project.

So sometime I would be happy with some patience in focus to some things.

I saw this line in the Rammjet's sign:
OS: 10.4.8 with old 8.4.1 kernel (JaS Intel SSE3 Only DVD) + Semthex "beta7" kernel too many crashes and freezes

Any Ideas? :gun:

Should we worry about it? :blink:

If you have run the new kernel for a day and not experienced any random crashes (multi-language grey screen asking you to press power button) or freezes (cursor, clock, everything freezes), then you are good to go and should not even think about any problems.

I have asked Semthex to look into my situation, but only after he has dealt with more pressing issues such as SSE2 and CoreDuo/Core2Duo core issues. Since there are only a few people with crashing and freezes, it doesn't make sense for him to drop everything to work on an isolated problem. Let's get the new kernel working for everyone else and then look at cleaning up the few people still with problems. I am functioning quite well using 10.4.8 and the older kernel.

The problems don't happen using the older kernel with an older 10.4.8 installation, so it is either an issue with the new kernel or some weird issue with the new 10.4.8 kexts and my hardware. It has persisted even though I have installed 10.4.8 several times using different methods and tried kernels by Semthex, DaemonES and Mifki (Mifki won't boot on my machine).

Time will tell.

So sometime I would be happy with some patience in focus to some things.

I apologize if I seemed pushy in any way, it is not my intention to be a thorn in anyones side. I simply try to report how the latest builds work for me. I have waited patiently through all the new kernels, testing each one with no fix for my situation. I am not lost with one core and in fact have a decent running system. I can wait as long as it takes and I appreciate all the hard work everyone in this community dose.

This is a Infothread. To report possible bugs refer to the FAQ at:

http://semthex.freeflux.net/nebukadnezar-faq/

Current Kernel snapshot build is available from IRC. If you don't have IRC and want to participate the beta test, feel free to PM me.

Current Feature List:

CPU autodetection

Kernel detect now if you run AMD or INTEL and will select proper code for each manufactor. No need for diffrent kernels anymore.

VMWare support

VMware autodetection feature included. Very relayable on any cpu AMD/INTEL.

FULL AMD support with GUI

The new kernel provides everything needed to run a full featured OSx86 on a AMD SSE3 compatible processor. To run GUI you need to get the rufus patched bins, they include special opcode for a function in kernel which enables the AMD support in them.

Settings autodetection

Autodetects your setting like FSB and CPU speed.

Advanced Math

Uses a more advanced math technique to determain CPU speed up to ~1Hz accurate.

Multiple Core Problems fixed

Some machine crashed because of wrong detection of cores available, this issue has been fixed.

Video/Audio Problem solved

We solved a minor issue with general playback on AMD/Intel.

The clock is runing "in time"

The clock is running very accurate now.

Serveral additional bugfixes

Some bugs from original Apple source were fixed, not even Apple is perfect.

hope you enjoy it! And there is still space for improvements. :)

SSE2 is in production, please don't ask for a eta, this is not like munching magic cookies. :sorcerer:

:idea:SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE AT THE IRC CHANNEL! :idea:

#kernel @ irc.macspeak.net

thanks so much

Mine freezes right there, too, Chevelle. I did a little investigating and discovered it's that I have to disable ACPI (which OSX then "discovers") for my other installs to work (I get ACPI kernel panics) and it doesn't appear to like that at all any more.

That's the issue facing me at the moment. I hope it's any help to you or that maybe someone might be able to guide me in a right direction...

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.

Ok, I tried turning off ACPI, and boom kernel panic right away.

So I tried turning "on APIC", had it off, and I got it to boot and install :D. But my HDD took a dump :D.

@semthex, does your kernel need/require APIC on? Because I had it off and the install DVD wont boot, but turned on it will.

Your issue migth be related to some settings in BIOS which cause diffrent behaviour. Remeber that vmware uses the emualted phoenix bios, you PC it's own :)

Ok, that's why in 10.4.4 through .7 I could use a SSE3 kernel in vmware and in native only SSE2?

Ok, so I am about ready to do this so I can Natit with either my 1600xt or 7600gs cards, but I want it to run on the AMD 939 that I have (the intel box is perfect, so I'm just going to leave it) but where do I get the rufus bins? They are referenced and people are talking about the files and patcher, but I can't find them at any of my favorite 'places'. Any help would be appreciated.

joneSi

joneSi, download the AMD test1 DVD and everything you need is already done :)

Ahhhh...I didn't even have a look. I just kept reading about this 'Rufus file' (as I was ever so carefully reading the directions...) So I searched high and low, but not in the most obvious place. LOL. Thanks for the reply (to the noob question).

joneSi

Indeed it is :D:)

Great work - but still no luck with AMD Mobile CPUs...

AMD mobile were reported working. Maybe you got the same issues like some Memron mobile ppl suffering from bad badder badest BIOS on a lot of mobile equipment?