INFOTHREAD "Nebukadnezar" (AMD+INTEL 10.4.8 Kernel)

semthex

466 posts in this topic

Been using beta8 since it's out and it's working perfect so far (see sig)

It still reports FSB @ 400 and 1 CPU / 1 core in ASP, processor.prefpane reports P4 HT so it seems Athlon X2 is used as hyperthreading P4. Anyway, activity monitor shows 2 CPU meter and booting with cpus=1 boot args shows performance decrease.

My setup has been running beta8 15 hours a day and I got only one finder crash with Apple mail trying to import thunderbird mailboxes (I guess Apple mail is still not able to run stable).

Anyway, zero kernel panic so far and pretty responsive system.

BTW, I hope you get enough donation for your macbook soon ! You're doing great !

Problem is that every kernel since OS X 10.4.3 detects wrong CPU speed on my platform. It causes very slooow system performance. Only 8.1.1 kernel works good.

My hardware is:

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A1667G

Mobile AMD Athlon64 3400+ (Newark Core) @ 2.2 GHz - kernel detects 800 MHz

Via 8237 chipped mobo

ATI Radeon Mobility X700

If you need more data and specification - just post here.

I'll be greatefull for any clue..

Go to Terminal and type:

sysctl hw.cpufrequency hw.activecpu

This will tell you the CPU speed and the number of active CPU's that the OS thinks it is running - regardless of what About This Mac and System Profiler may be reporting.

I will include you a switch to override auto detection in next version so you can set the speed directly and see what happens. Your speed detecting wrong is very intresting since the speed is directly messured. Is your clock running ok? Any other problems with clocking?

This may not help, but ive heard reports that if youre power settings in windows arent correct, it may cause a CPU slow down in OS X as well. Im not really sure why this would happen, as it makes no real sense, but check to see if youre set up as a laptop or destop in XP/Vista's power management center.

ill try to find a link to the thread I heard about this in but for now, this person seems to have a similar problem as you.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29115

THX for clues.

@General_Cartman

I can't disable PowerNow technology in BIOS. My laptop's BIOS is very advanced - i can change Data and Time there lol :P:)

@ACC0RD22

Thx for this link. Unfortunettly it won't work for me. I always have AC power plugged in, and battery removed in my laptop while setting up OS X so this one won't help me. I'll try to set my power management center in Windows OS and post the result in here. THX anyway.

Now i've got to go to work. I'll be back in the evening.

You can hardly compare 8.4.1 to 8.8.1 since a lot of things changed, some are better some are even worse for other hardware. As you said you have one of those very advanced Fujitsu Bios (which are more than a pain in the ass) you might be held up by this. I don't know if it's possible to replace it by a full fetured one, but the use VIA chipped mobos so there might be a possibility, but I am not sure about this.

Give the support hotline a try. Maybe they can tell you how to upgrade the bios. Sometimes a bit pesure helps there, if they want to feed you up by useless answers or just "no".

it won't let me connect to irc:

* Connecting to irc.macspeak.net (7000)

-

* Disconnected

-

* Connect retry #1 82.165.152.76 (7000)

-

* [10053] Software caused connection abort

i tried ports 6667 through 7005 =[ i'm using mirc. what am i doing wrong?