INFOTHREAD "Nebukadnezar" (AMD+INTEL 10.4.8 Kernel)

semthex

466 posts in this topic

This is the XX time no kernel has succeeded in enabling both cores of my CPU. I am not alone with this problem and all others have made it known as well.

Your "FAQ" has no information pertaining to the proper way to submit or even perform a useful bugreport.

I was the first person to report this matter starting with the first kernel releases. I would of thought this issue would have probably been solved by now.

If you can provide detailed information on how to do a bug report and where to submit it, I'm sure all members of the community suffering the same dilemma would all eagerly send reports :)

It never succeded becaus eyou never reported anything useful. Btw. on a lot of dual core it already works and here some thing you might want to read:

FROM FAQ (MENTIONED PAGE #1 OF THIS THREAD:

If you encounter any strange behaviour and or strange erros, follow the following short-guide:

1.) don't panic!
2.) read the whole FAQ (!!!)
3.) check your system setup setp-by-step
4.) ask on the IRC channel for help (!!!)
5.) if this fails( after serveral tries), contact me*
6.) you issue should be solved

* send me a use able bug report including at least "dmesg", "ioreg -l" and "sysctl -a" output + system specifications.

Please don't yell/cry or write me big complainments in any way for issues caused by i.e. wrong kext setup, missing sse2 and stuff. If you decide to write me, include all crachlogs, screenshots and system specifications or I can't handel your request due to lack of information. Thank you!

Simple question, if I want to do a "clean" install of the system and don't care to use a test partition, I can follow semthex's guide without changes, right?

And is there any way to not have to type "-v -legacy" at the boot prompt?

Your name indicates you are using AMD? you don't need to type this anymore with latest kernel version :-)

Add up how many swapfiles exist in /private/var/vm and that is the total of the virtual memory that OSX is using - even though Activity Monitor may be saying many GB are being used. Most people use fewer than 3 swapfiles, so the average virtual memory on disk is less than 3 x 64 = 192 MB (yes MB).

Moral of the story - don't believe Activity Monitor for virtual memory usage. Go to directory /private/var/vm and add up the number of swapfiles and multiply by 64 MB and see that your virtual memory usage is very small. To get to /private/var/vm, in Finder, select the Go menu -> Go to Folder... and type "/private/var/vm"

Dang... I learn something new every day... thanks for the info Rammjet

As for the actual thread topic, Semthex... you rock... awsome job and I only wish I had 10% of your programming skill!

Free space down to X from X+1GB after some hours uptime.

Again, count how many swapfiles are being used. It would take 157 swapfiles (at 64 MB each) to use up 1 GB of disk space.

Perhaps you have used the space some other way. Downloading a 500 MB file and uncompressing it would use up more than 1 GB.

Use WhatSize to analyze your drive and identify what is using all of the space: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/index.php

I need infos on both sattes, since this si a very special issue, as long as you can get with both cores enabled to work. if not 1 will be ok too. send teh logs via contact form on ym website or via pm, choose what fits your needs most. :construction:

Ramjet.

It was 3 times, and i slept durring osx run.

After reboot free space is back.

But hmm. there was sleepimage file (534 mb), so swap take only ~450 MB (all this file were located in /var/vm dir)

------

hmm...i read man dynamic_pager. it's look like impasible to use disk0s2 (e.g.):construction:

Hi Semthex buddy kernel buster,

Just a simple question. Are all the system files included in the latest Intel SSE3 JaS DVD JaS Semthex combo pkg file? Or are there more?

My system is working perfectly with your k18 build: these are the outputs from system profiler:

The only thing is -x safe boot logs in but without video (I had this problem since 10.4.6)

Darwin bgrau 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Tue Nov 14 22:03:31 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 3.6 GHz (in fact 3)

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH

DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL CID

Memory: 1.5 GB

Bus Speed: 3.2 GHz (in fact 800 MHz)

Boot ROM Version: A05 (Dell Computer Corporation)

FREECOM_ DVD+/-RW8B9:

Firmware Revision: 2.48

Interconnect: USB

Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)

Profile Path: None

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Chipset Model: Radeon X1600 Series

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c2

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz 2D Extreme: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display:

deskjet 5100:

Print Server: Local

Driver Version: 3.3

Default: No

URI: usb://hp/deskjet 5100?serial=MY37V3R1DY7A

PPD: hp deskjet 5100

PPD File Version: 1.0

PostScript Version: (3011.104) 0

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x24dd

PCI Revision ID: 0x0002

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0xfd

FCD-Classic:

Version: 4.07

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Freecom Technologies

Product ID: 0xfccc

Serial Number: 100000000000000006825

Vendor ID: 0x07ab

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Kernel Version: Darwin 8.8.1

Boot Volume: MACOSX

Computer Name: bgrau’s Computer

User Name: bgrau (bgrau)

Serial-ATA Bus:

Maxtor 7Y250M0:

Capacity: 233.76 GB

Model: Maxtor 7Y250M0

Revision: YAR51EW0

Serial Number: Y6398AVE

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk2

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

OS9 Drivers: No

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

The working PCI cards sometimes show up at boot-up (usually when I flush the kext-cache):

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI3

Vendor ID: 0x10b7

Device ID: 0x9055

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10b7

Subsystem ID: 0x9055

Revision ID: 0x0030

pci1106,3044: (firewire card)

Type: IEEE 1394 Open HCI

Bus: PCI

Slot: PCI1

Vendor ID: 0x1106

Device ID: 0x3044

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1106

Subsystem ID: 0x3044

Revision ID: 0x0043

But they both work even if not show up (I had to modify IONetworkingFamily.kext to get the Ethernet PCI card working) ...

My system has three partitions on the internal HDD. One for maintenance/repair of my mistakes, one for testing new semthex kernel versions and the main - day to day use (also largest) partition.

The maintenance and test partitions were built following the pastebin instructions from semthex's faq. I started with a clean erased partition, installed from the 10.4.4 install iso - osinstall.mpkg. Then applied the delta updates from Apple for 10.4.5 - through 10.4.8 etc..

Both prtitions run just fine - except that using the disk utility to erase a partition does not leave it bootable as it does if I erase it using the jas-10.4.8 second release install iso.

Does anyone know how I can correct this problem? I already tried replacing the disk utility app and hdiutil files from a previous release and that just left the app unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps: both 10.4.8 partitions are currently running on the k18_rc12 kernel.

My system has three partitions on the internal HDD. One for maintenance/repair of my mistakes, one for testing new semthex kernel versions and the main - day to day use (also largest) partition.

The maintenance and test partitions were built following the pastebin instructions from semthex's faq. I started with a clean erased partition, installed from the 10.4.4 install iso - osinstall.mpkg. Then applied the delta updates from Apple for 10.4.5 - through 10.4.8 etc..

Both prtitions run just fine - except that using the disk utility to erase a partition does not leave it bootable as it does if I erase it using the jas-10.4.8 second release install iso.

Does anyone know how I can correct this problem? I already tried replacing the disk utility app and hdiutil files from a previous release and that just left the app unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps: both 10.4.8 partitions are currently running on the k18_rc12 kernel.

I'm having the same problem, although I can't even erase the partition correctly since I'm using AMD and can't even boot Jas's new DVD. I've tried with Jas's 10.4.7 Install DVD and Myzar's 10.4.6 DVD with no luck. The drive just isn't bootable. I've done those instructions so many times now, it's infuriating me.

BTW, my working install is Jas 10.4.7 DVD plus Jas 10.4.7.AMD.SSE3.Only.Update and still using 8.4.1 kernel.

Thanks in advance.

Setting partition bootable:

Use fdisk from Linux LiveCD to set a partition active.

Erasing Disk to HFS+

You can try diskutil from WIndows to set Type AF manually or use Linux fdisk also.

If you need a Linux LiveCD, you can nearly use any available. Try to get a small one to save yout bandwidth, even most install-start CDs will do the job. You don't need dl a full featured 800MB ISO than.

If you need a Linux LiveCD, you can nearly use any available. Try to get a small one to save yout bandwidth, even most install-start CDs will do the job. You don't need dl a full featured 800MB ISO than.

I would like to add that Damn Small Linux is a good choise for this matter. Due to it's size its downloaded in practically no time at all. You can boot it up with failsafe of dsl 2 modus, which will both get you in a command line interface with root permissions. From there it's an easy cfdisk command and you're done.

Hey all. I have a Merom T7200 in an Asus N4L-VM, and your kernel works fine. Under System Profile, it is recognised as Core Solo, BUT in activity monitor it shows 2 CPUs so I guess it works fine. One question, how do I get my X1800GTO to work with QE/CI. It used to work with 10.4.4 and the Boris Methord, but when I install the patch now, it doesn't get past the "Starting OSX" screen. My Geforce 7900GS works fine with TITAN though. Thanks to Semthex, JaS and all for my damn fast OSx86. Oh, I also installed this with the corrupted JaS 10.4.8, and it all works fine, iCal included! :D

Hi Semthex,

i've installed your kernel it's working like a train , but i've two problems ,1'st is in system profiler , it cant get information about my Hardware (cpu info) the second is About is not working.

any suggestions ?

my System is AMD64 3000+ Venice

1024 RAM

Gigagabyte SNC-939

ATI 9800 Pro

and

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK !

Hello kernel Master.

How can I set FSB in AMD CPU. I'm using ATI MOBO and AMD Athlon 64 3700 Sandiego 2.2GHz@2.92GHz. It is overclock by multiplier 11 -> 10, FSB 200 -> 292.

The profiler says 2GHz CPU and 400MHz Bus speed. I am considering to use fsb=xxx option. Which number can I try?

thanks

Installed natively with MacOSX_10.4.8DVD_AMD_SSE3_TEST_1

Hello kernel Master.

How can I set FSB in AMD CPU. I'm using ATI MOBO and AMD Athlon 64 3700 Sandiego 2.2GHz@2.92GHz. It is overclock by multiplier 11 -> 10, FSB 200 -> 292.

The profiler says 2GHz CPU and 400MHz Bus speed. I am considering to use fsb=xxx option. Which number can I try?

thanks

Installed natively with MacOSX_10.4.8DVD_AMD_SSE3_TEST_1

The kernel should detect all speeds very accurate, if you still want to force another setting than detected (should be not required 99.9% of the time) you can use the bootoption "factor" to set fsb. It is used as the old "fsb" option "fsb=XXX" (now factor=XXX). I renamed it to aid lazy ppl who did not get rid of this setting in com.apple.Coot.plist... enjoy :-D

:)

The kernel should detect all speeds very accurate,

:)

Thank You Semthex.

FSB Autodetections is correct for ATI chipset too?

292 vs 584 which will be my FSB? :D

PS: factor=584 gives me 2.92GHz CPU in my "About this Mac" window. Xbench score was same. Thanks Semthex