INFOTHREAD "Nebukadnezar" (AMD+INTEL 10.4.8 Kernel)

semthex

466 posts in this topic

Jazzz, I just installed sse2 8.1 on a K8T800 for my son and I had the same problem, it would start to install and the screen goes black and there is no activity. I had to install with my ATi x800 to get things installed and I swapped it out for a 5700LE after everything was finished. I don't think it's the video cards but rather VIA chipset that needs individual drivers for nVidia graphic cards

Edited by joe75

It has become silent the last days, I guess because of the christmas holidays. I hope you all have enjoied the source release and I am looking forward to the future tweaks to it as well as some input of your what you want to see improved to it in the future.

Currently I agree with my people from IRC the current state became very boring, since too much is fine now :-) Anyways, since I am currently on holiday, I am not that much around but I as I see everything is alright and nobody cries (I am really happy about that). SSE2 works fine as well like it seems. But that's not a reason to stop. If you still feel like reportign some new things is always welcome.

If i am back from holiday, we will see, maybe I have something nice for you in the next year :censored2:

Happy geeky holidays!

hi semthex thanks for you work, I use your last beta for SSE2 witch works really great.

You may implement directly in your kernel speedstep for Pentium M since ACPICPUThrottle doesn't work anymore with 8.8.1. Or looking in ACPICPUThrottle sources to see what missing for it to work ?

I think a lot of laptop users could be really happy of that. It could be great too that it can work with frequences below 1Ghz or boot with and put processor to 1 Ghz automaticaly. My Asus laptop boot at 600 Mhz on battery !

Thanks again for your great work and happy new year to all of you.

as I see everything is alright and nobody cries (I am really happy about that).

Core2Duo owners on laptops are all still crying for duel core support, and it's been that way from the beginning :)

With Dec. 9 kernel I'm still typing cpus=1

Edited by joe75

Currently I agree with my people from IRC the current state became very boring, since too much is fine now :-)

You miss the owners of Intel's G/P/Q965-based boards?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=30472

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37319

So far I've yet to read a success story :-/

If you know a procedure to find out where the boot hangs, how to enable more verbose kernel messages or how to trigger a backtrace (I'm pretty sure it's _not_ an ICH8-issue), please let me know.

Hein

I just tried to build a kernel with the 2006-12-24 sources, freely downloadable version. While the 2006-10-06 sources built just fine, the newer thing doesn't link:

g++ -nostdlib ... ... osfmk.o ... libkern.o ... etc. ...
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_hibernate_newruntime_map
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any idea what to do?

Hein

Edited by Hein Blöd

I just tried to build a kernel with the 2006-12-24 sources, freely downloadable version. While the 2006-10-06 sources built just fine, the newer thing doesn't link:

g++ -nostdlib ... ... osfmk.o ... libkern.o ... etc. ...
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_hibernate_newruntime_map
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any idea what to do?

Hein

go in xnu-1048-semthex/iokit/Kernel/IOHibernateIO.cpp find

hibernate_newruntime_map(src, gIOHibernateWakeMapSize,

gIOHibernateCurrentHeader->systemTableOffset);

and comment it out

[...] find [...] hibernate_newruntime_map [...] and comment it out

Thanks myzar. Appears to be pretty safe, since hibernate_newruntime_map is an empty function, at least in Apple's public sources. No idea why semthex commented it back in before new year.

Building a debug-kernel has an additional, similar issue, but I expect to figure it out myself this time.

Now, after switching on some verbose messages in the release kernel, it turns out the kernel hangs at a really odd place. The last two lines of text read:

FINISHED LOADING com.apple.driver.ACPIPCI
LOADING KEXT NAME com.apple.dri

Well, and then in hangs. In the middle of writing a message to the screen.

Looks somewhat similar to what I experience with Gentoo-Linux, 2006.0 LiveCD: The kernel halts without message or panic, unless I start with "ACPI=off".

Any idea how to get a grip on this one, anybody?

Hein

P.S.: This is still my Intel DG965SS board.

Hi everyone. hope you enjoyied the last weeks and I wanted to announce a new roudn of kernel deve on sunday. Join IRc than if you like :-)

In your next build, could you please give those of us stuck in VMware a boot flag to disable the switching to 64 bit mode. (-32bit maybe?)

I think a flag to disable the macros in /osfmk/i386/asm64.h would enable us to run OS X in VMware on 64 bit host or with Intel Virtualization enabled.

Thank you for all your efforts :thumbsup_anim:

I'm wondering, I've gotten a few JaS DVD installs, and the only one I've managed to get working properly is the 10.4.3 build. I've been seeding 10.4.7 and 10.4.8, hoping that I can earn some points or get in on a demon reg so I can try and get some patches to see if there's more that I can do to get beyond 10.4.3 (and I'm really tired of dd'ing my drive cause installs mess with my tri-boot).

Does anyone know the kernel that is in the 10.4.3 build? That seems to be the only kernel that is working for me. I've tried to do an update from 10.4.3 to 10.4.8 using the DVD installer (no go, fails), and when I fresh install I get that damn shaded grey box sayin' I need to reboot on 10.4.8. Help? Also if someone would please help me with an invite so I can seed more than the three downloads I've done this week...

Is there a Linux client to help seed for demonoid as well? I have a box on a very nice multi-homed network that I would like to support this project with, I just have to make sure I stay well under 10Kpkts per 5min window.

Hardware:

Dell Inspiron 8200 P4 2.0Ghz SSE2

1GB RAM

60GB Seagate HD (SuSe 10.2 / WinXP Pro / MacOS 10.4.3 8F1111)

Not working:

Dell TrueMobile 1150

CD-R/W

Working (to solve failures above):

DLink DWL-G122 USB 802.11G wifi adapter

Plextor 716-UF external DL DVD+-RW

hi semthex thanks for you work, I use your last beta for SSE2 witch works really great.

You may implement directly in your kernel speedstep for Pentium M since ACPICPUThrottle doesn't work anymore with 8.8.1. Or looking in ACPICPUThrottle sources to see what missing for it to work ?

I think a lot of laptop users could be really happy of that. It could be great too that it can work with frequences below 1Ghz or boot with and put processor to 1 Ghz automaticaly. My Asus laptop boot at 600 Mhz on battery !

Thanks again for your great work and happy new year to all of you.

Is there any progress in speed throttle using speedstep ?