Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for JAS 10.4.8

622 posts in this topic

Hi,

1) It works

2) Which front ports?? For audio??

3) All chanells working, including SPDIF out

4) Working

5) Nope, nothing new yet

6) Just E6x50 chips running at 1333mhz fsb, and this mobo has support for 1333mhz fsb

I don't know nothing yet about 10.5

thanks for the quick reply!

im looking to get a case with 2 front usbs, 1 firewire, 1 audio out and line in, just wanted to know if it was worth paying more for this if the ports aren't gonna work.

as for the Intel EFI chip on the BadAxe, the guy had posted something about this chip being important for future versions of OSX86, it was in a BadAxe vs P5W thread(cant find it now), he was talking about an osx86 apple efi project but i couldnt find anything more out about it- the post was dated last december and stuff moves quickly but its quite a concern!

Of course they're working.

IMHO, EFI development on hackintosh is a very questionable, beacause it's easier to mod the kernel, than break the EFI code and implement it on PC mobos...

But, as I said, I don't know much about 10.5...

I've read (haven't confirmed) that 10.5 a370 and 410 have been hacked already. According to what I read, a410 was hacked within a day of it being seeded. At this point if apple doesn't try hard to block anything, I have a feeling it will run fine on sse3 hardware.

That's great news, but only processor that is 64-bit, and doesn't have SSE3 instructions is Athlon64 based on Clawhammer, Newcastle and Winchester core. So, basicly almoust every 64-bit processor have SSE3 instructions ;)

Though, don't forget that 10.5 can't run on Core Duo processors...

That's great news, but only processor that is 64-bit, and doesn't have SSE3 instructions is Athlon64 based on Clawhammer, Newcastle and Winchester core. So, basicly almoust every 64-bit processor have SSE3 instructions :thumbsup_anim:

Though, don't forget that 10.5 can't run on Core Duo processors...

What do you mean it can't run Core Duo processors? That is news to me.

Sorry to keep asking questions but do you know if the sleep/wake problem is one with the mainboad or with the current kernel, ie is it something thats likely or not to be ironed out in the future? And if anyone has Sleep/Wake working with this board could you post your setup (gfx card at least) Nice one!

Well, beacause the Core Duo processors are 32-bit processors. Core 2 Duo are 64-bit processors, and OS X 10.5 is 64-bit OS, so you do the math :censored2:

Sorry, you're mistaken. Leopard works on both 32bit and 64bit. I have been running it on my 1.25ghz g4. It is backwards compatible with all g4's, g5's, and intel chips. It decides at install time how to configure it. Objective C 2.0 has 64bit features built into it, and if those features are chosen for that app, then that app can only run on 64bit computers. That is about the only limit. Otherwise Leopard is completely backwards compatible except with g3's, all of which are 32bit.

Can anyone tell me how to use a hard drive connected through JMicron controller in Mac OS x86 10.4.8?

The biggest problem is of course that the Mac OS doesn't even see the disk.

Then another problem is that although I can see the disk in Windows, it can only be formatted as NTFS?

Is any fixes for this? Thank you very much!!!

Can anyone tell me how to use a hard drive connected through JMicron controller in Mac OS x86 10.4.8?

The biggest problem is of course that the Mac OS doesn't even see the disk.

Then another problem is that although I can see the disk in Windows, it can only be formatted as NTFS?

Is any fixes for this? Thank you very much!!!

To enable the jmicron SATA contoller, follow the directions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry220843

Hi,

3) All chanells working, including SPDIF out

Nicko, you got 5.1 out working on this board? Can you post about how you got this working? I've got one line out working, but the other 2 don't. SPDIF is only 2 channel as well. I'm using Taruga's ALC882 sound fix. Is there another solution that allows for 5.1?

I tried that and it gives me the famous "still waiting for root device" error.

I am trying to use a SATA hard drive. Is this relevant? I also notice that a lot of people having trouble with WD drives, which is what I'm having.

I tried to set the JMicron to "AHCI" and "Basic" in BIOS but none of them works.

I tried everything I can find....really frustrating here...

To enable the jmicron SATA contoller, follow the directions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry220843

Sorry, you're mistaken. Leopard works on both 32bit and 64bit. I have been running it on my 1.25ghz g4. It is backwards compatible with all g4's, g5's, and intel chips. It decides at install time how to configure it. Objective C 2.0 has 64bit features built into it, and if those features are chosen for that app, then that app can only run on 64bit computers. That is about the only limit. Otherwise Leopard is completely backwards compatible except with g3's, all of which are 32bit.

Hmm...I didn't know that...thx for correcting me :thumbsup_anim: I thought that the Leopard is only 64-bit OS....

Nicko, you got 5.1 out working on this board? Can you post about how you got this working? I've got one line out working, but the other 2 don't. SPDIF is only 2 channel as well. I'm using Taruga's ALC882 sound fix. Is there another solution that allows for 5.1?

Well, I'm using Taruga's patch too, but also I have a reciever connected through SPDIF. When I watching DVD or somthing else in AC3 format, I've got all chanells working. :)

Here is something that may or may not be related, but it sure is pissing me off.

Every once in a while, the access time of my SATA harddrives goes downt he tubes. It literally will take 5 minutes to switch applications. I can hear the harddrive read when it does this. Sounds like: read sector read sector...... 5 second pause...... read sector read sector...... 5 second pause. The kicker is, it did this on the cd once too. It's completely random. It will do it on the harddrive from boot up, and sometimes will do it after it has been on for a bit. Its really annoying.

Anyone else witness this?

Here is something that may or may not be related, but it sure is pissing me off.

Every once in a while, the access time of my SATA harddrives goes downt he tubes. It literally will take 5 minutes to switch applications. I can hear the harddrive read when it does this. Sounds like: read sector read sector...... 5 second pause...... read sector read sector...... 5 second pause. The kicker is, it did this on the cd once too. It's completely random. It will do it on the harddrive from boot up, and sometimes will do it after it has been on for a bit. Its really annoying.

Anyone else witness this?

check system prefs -> energy saver and uncheck 'put hard disks to sleep when possible'.

Yah I always have that unchecked and never put system to sleep. It will do it from a cold boot at very random times as well.

Worst part is now I'm getting kernel panics. Because it was so slow (15 minutes on apple logo screen) I did a hardware reset, and am now getting kernel panics. I luckily pulled everything off onto my windows drive. So if I have to start over I can, that would really suck though.

Off topic but has anyone witnessed the kernel panic during boot up "No mapping exists for frame pointer. Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0xbffff968.

I can't boot into single user mode because I get that kp before I can get to a prompt.

Hi folks,

pooh, after my 12th try to boot the installed osx, i´me done! :)

I used the Jas 10.4.8 DVD to install it. everything worked fine till next reboot. When I try to boot the installed system, it hangs with a blinking cursor upper left...nothig else. I´ve tryed everything, including using just one hdd. (HDD1)

Heres what I´ve tryed: acronis, all hd´s turned off, the hd as USB (installation worked fine), all fsb, latest bios.....

It started just once, after I choosed to search the network drives at next startup, just once!!

Help! :tomato:

exactly, just 1 sucessful booting!

I've had a similar problem like this, and hopefully its the same problem that u are running into. This is how I circumvented it.

1. Change ur CD-Rom drive to boot first.

2. Keep your JaS 10.4.8 dvd inside the drive

3. Boot computer

4. When it says press any key to install, DON'T Press anything and let it count down.

5. NOW hopefully OSX86 will boot!

I think this is a problem in making the harddrive an active partition...

Hello everyone, I am so very happy to report my p5w dh deluxe is totally working. I am running dual monitors (thanks diabolik!) and playing dvds perfectly. I also am able to run protools and reason simultaneously only using 25% of my 6300 core 2 duo. I have no idea how to use console so I am just using installers and a permission script I've found here on insanely mac. I have a 152 xbench w/out disk checked, and 119 w/ disk checked. I also ran OpenMark Score:9750( I have no idea if this good or bad) I tried to install the jas 10.4.9 update and my dvd playback became messed up(choppy) so I went back to 10.4.8. I think you need to know how to use command line to get 10.4.9 and all of your monitors and drives and speeds for your processor. I am not that advanced so I'm just using everything I can 'out of the box'.

I have so many people to thank on this site for solving so many problems like not using the black ide, how to use sata, etc. If anyone has any questions I am more than willing to answer them.

post-97746-1179264586_thumb.png

xbench_results_w_out_disk.txt

Has anybody an idea howto use the jmicron sata on the p5w dh with osx86 ? some installers? :-) (windoz user ;))

apooo

im getting a new SATA drive tomorrow and when i do i'll try and get it working with jmicron and then update my blog and this post with instructions/guides.