Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for JAS 10.4.8

622 posts in this topic

Thanks Chris that should work. Also, Vista 64's backwards compatibility with 32 bit programs is hit or miss. Alot of my stuff just doesn't work on it. I heard something about running old programs on a 32bit partition for more compatibility, is this true at all? If so, Fat32 seems the way to go for me.

Hi all!

I just bought a brand new computer based on P5W DH, E6600 & 2Gb DDR2 800.

I installed Win XP on a partition, then installed 10.4.8 JaS PPF1 & PPF2 on an other partition, and directly 10.4.9 JaS Combo. Then just 2 more drivers, ALC882 AppleHDA & Natit, and everything seems works quite perfectly.

It still just 2 little problems, can anyone help me with?

- About this mac display an "Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz", but i've got an E6600, wich normally runs at 2.4ghz. Whats going on?

- My Ex-Computer, based on an AMD osX install, let me choose which partition should boot at darwin start, where JaS version display me a grey screen during loading... How can i find this boot screen choice? Wich key to hit?

Thanks a lot, people !

It still just 2 little problems, can anyone help me with?

- About this mac display an "Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz", but i've got an E6600, wich normally runs at 2.4ghz. Whats going on?

- My Ex-Computer, based on an AMD osX install, let me choose which partition should boot at darwin start, where JaS version display me a grey screen during loading... How can i find this boot screen choice? Wich key to hit?

you'll have to either set your FSB in Boot.plist or get a newer kernel with FSB auto-detection.

-> sofresh:

To install the new kernel, you are gonna need to unhide hidden files. To do that you need a program like Onyx. Install this and then unhide hidden files and folders. Next, you are going to want to go to your hard drive. Open Finder from the dock and click on your hard drive icon. There you should see Applications, Library, System, etc., but now there should be a bunch of other files. You will see Mach Kernel. Make sure you backup this file!!!! Move, or delete, the old Mach Kernel and copy your new one to the same location. Restart and press F8 when booting up to get to the Darwin bootloader. From there, type -v. This will tell you if you have any errors or not. Ok, I hope this helps!!!!!

I have something that has been bothering me...

I figured this would be the best place to ask. I overclocked my cpu (intel e6700 2.66ghz) to 3ghz simply by changing the clockspeed to 300 in the bios. Everything has been fine. Everything runs fine. But now I randomly get a beep. Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this to stop?

I've seen posts that you can have 4 of the SATA ports working by removing the RAID jumpers from the logic board. Can anyone confirm this? I can get 3 of them working (1, 3, 4) at any one time. If I plug a drive into the orange port 1, it will knock out one of the other drives (usually 1 I think). I've tried it with the jumpers removed, and set at their default locations. Has anyone got this working?

Also, does anyone have the Jmicron SATA port working?

i have this board and it's working great thanks to the contributions of this thread and others. however i've noticed 2 problems. the first is minor: the clock goes just a bit fast. i'm not using a kernel with fsb autodetect, i just edited the com.apple.boot.plist to reflect my 266fsb on my e6300. it's still a little fast, a few minutes a day. the second is that the sound quality isn't very good. i'm usint taruga's patch (0.4) and the sound quality can best be compared to that of 96kbps mp3 or radio. also, sometimes the sounds in adium or other sounds will sometimes crackle then go back to normal...the crackle will last for the duration of one sound in adium. it's really strange and random. anyone else experiencing this? should i try the taruga 0.2 patch? i checked the dependencies of the kexts (yes i repaired permissions and all that jazz to make sure its loading the kexts) and they are incomplete. anything?

I'm not getting any sound issues at all. Everything works just fine on this end. I have music going from it about 18 hours a day. I am using 10.4.9 though. Also I am using the kernel WITH HPET on 10.4.9. I'm very happy with it. Though the official 8.9.1 kernel is out now, so that means we don't need any more hacks. Do you have the bios set up to use HD-Audio? Mine was defaulted to AC-97, I never tried it as I knew this was HD-Audio, if yours is still on AC-97, change it. See if that helps.

Well im sticking with 10.4.8, i tryed 10.4.9 with the kernel 8.1.9 but it just would not detect my CPU right and because it thinks its a 4 GHz cpu my systeem has random lags incorrect system time , WoW has extencve shading problems and well runs on 1/2 speed :S. tryed like a doesnt installs but i'm sticking with 1.4.8 because well it just works :)) so why upgrade. well maby when i upgrade from dual core to core2duo ......

Thx a lot men! Everything's working perfectly!! :thumbsup_anim:

... except the remote, but that would be too perfect in that world. Someone tried something about that?

im working on creating a driver based on some linux code, hope to have something worth testing out in a few days.

Well im sticking with 10.4.8, i tryed 10.4.9 with the kernel 8.1.9 but it just would not detect my CPU right and because it thinks its a 4 GHz cpu my systeem has random lags incorrect system time , WoW has extencve shading problems and well runs on 1/2 speed :S. tryed like a doesnt installs but i'm sticking with 1.4.8 because well it just works :thumbsup_anim:) so why upgrade. well maby when i upgrade from dual core to core2duo ......

have you tried the latest 10.4.9 kernel? a newer one was released a day or two ago.

-> thefinalprophecy

What packages are you choosing to install? Also, what are your harddrives hooked up to? SATA or IDE?

What do I need to do to get sound working again? Can someone post a link to where I can find ALL of the files for this board? Thanks!!!!!!

thanks, i'll check that out. i have bios version 2004, should i downgrade from windows to 1901?

i have a SATA DVD drive and SATA hard drive. the hdd is plugged into the red sata port, and the dvd is plugged into the black. i am running the XFX geforce 6800XT 256, 2gb pc-5300 ddr667, core 2 duo e6400 not overclocked.

yes, i've actually heard reports of 2004 not working, that may be your problem.

also when you boot hit f8 at the darwin prompt (you have to be quick, too early and you'll get the asus boot menu) and use the -v flag so you can what errors you are getting.

I've seen posts that you can have 4 of the SATA ports working by removing the RAID jumpers from the logic board. Can anyone confirm this? I can get 3 of them working (1, 3, 4) at any one time. If I plug a drive into the orange port 1, it will knock out one of the other drives (usually 1 I think). I've tried it with the jumpers removed, and set at their default locations. Has anyone got this working?

Also, does anyone have the Jmicron SATA port working?

To answer my own questions for future reference:

To Disable EZ -Backup and use raid port one as regular SATA, remove both of the raid jumpers from the logic board, start up, hit the bios and go to Advanced -> DH Feature Page -> EZ Backup RAID Mode Change -> Enable. Once this is done, EZ RAID port one becomes the 4th port on the ICH7 controller.

To enable the jmicron SATA contoller, follow the directions here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry220843

I installed using the Jas 10.4.8 sse2&sse3 intel and amd. My AHCIport.kext already contained the right identifier, but my VIAATA.kext did not. YMMV.

Once that's done, you should have 5 active SATA ports on the logic board, and one external eSata. I don't have an eSata cable to test with, but I'm assuming that becuase the internal works, the external should as well. Let me know if not.

Now if only we could get the 5.1 multichannel audio going.

I bought and installed this motherboard yesterday, but I still can not get it to boot after installation. I have 10.4.8 amd/intel see2/3 with integrated ichr7/8. i get that grey message telling me to restart. what do i do?

I had the same issue, and had to re-install. I was using the 1901 bios, and ultimately just chose the base install with intel sse3 ata support and that was it. Once I had done that it was golden. I followed Chris' intructions from there.