Kx audio driver mod [Sound blaster live!, audigy 1/2/4/RX emu edsp]

ITzTravelInTime

588 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Detrich said:

Hi! ITzTravelInTime when edspctrl will work with macos catalina? Thank you for your efforts:)

Honestly i don't know, i didn't spend any time dubugging it, i just knew it didn't work on my catalian socket 775 build, and then mooved on, but maybe @>Alejandro can gives us some help, this seems to be a catalina-related issue, but we need to spend time debugging the program.

Another note is that i have to spend time just checking my edsp cards on sierra and mounatin lion to see if the latest driver still work correctly woth those

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

On 2/5/2020 at 10:22 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

I compiled an hybrid 32 and 64 bits executable which works as expected on catalina and mountain lion on a 64 bit machine, if you are running a 32 bit machine or a 32 bit installation of mac os x and you want to test the driver pm me

my system is mojave and catalina,please send to me a copy for test,my email:tyq@qq.com,thx!

4 hours ago, Detrich said:

OK, I found a solution to make it work with Catalina 10.15.4.

Before install, we need to mount catalina hidden volume... to be writable.

Now just need to figure out how to run edspctrl automatically when catalina starts :)

edspctrl WORKING.rtf

SO this is not realated to the actual executable being able to run or not. So does your sound card work with catalina now ?

1 hour ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

SO this is not realated to the actual executable being able to run or not. So does your sound card work with catalina now ?

Yes:)

One interesting thing is that catalina does autorun automatically if I let the terminal opened when the system is restarting.

I restarted the system few times and audio is activated automatically.

But if I close terminal before restarting, to activate sound I need to do it manually.

12 minutes ago, Detrich said:

Yes:)

One interesting thing is that catalina does autorun automatically if I let the terminal opened when the system is restarting.

I restarted the system few times and audio is activated automatically.

But if I close terminal before restarting, to activate sound I need to do it manually.

I think that this happens just because the fpga on the card keeps being programmed after you shut down the pc, and the edspctrl is just an app to perform various checks and program the fpga.

This may vary since the programming of the fpga is lost after the computer is deattached from the main outlet or after the card is unplugged from the system.

9 minutes ago, Detrich said:

You right :)

After installation of the drivers for the first time, PC should be turned off, not restarted!!!

Then we can run edspctrl to activate the soundcard.

no, what i mean is that the edspctrl programs the hardware of the sound card until the pc is disconnected from main power, so you may not need to run it every time the pc starts up but it's very reccomended to do so.

about the installation, the edspctrl is usable just when you have the driver loaded and working, so only after you reboot your pc after the driver installation.

So little update on the driver, it's almost ready, i finished my code checking and now i am just making some find adjustments, i added some funny comments (inspired by the devs at valve) and all the needed credits to all the people from the commiunity who helped, in particular @BiOM1 and @>Alejandro.

I added and perfected my huge sample rates support and added support for multiple bit depths, as well as reworking all the boot arg stuff, more details on that later.

BTW here there are some of screenshots from the source code just for you to enjoy, while i work on the release.

1808263373_Schermata2020-05-05alle00_34_40.png.4912d9a27b8a86bcf6277b351773c883.png

1206717365_Schermata2020-05-05alle00_35_03.png.85388d6378535aeaa10d286852dc1917.png

1508760272_Schermata2020-05-05alle00_42_31.png.d23fa04b7ac116a9005d0d400fcf715e.png

1184805771_Schermata2020-05-05alle00_35_17.png.0dc87c9eea3a2f993bd0042716099a53.png

PS: Please admins don't remove the last screenshot please, it's just for fun no one is being hurt

EDIT: @Detrich @btwise @BiOM1 @>Alejandro the github repo has been updated with the latest source code, a release will follow in about a couple of days, since i need to prepare a good description for it, but you find a universal 32+64bit binary of the kext (for mac os x 10.6+) and the matching floatlib attached to this post.

kxAudioDriver_v2.1.zip

2 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

the github repo has been updated with the latest source code, a release will follow in about a couple of days, since i need to prepare a good description for it, but you find a universal 32+64bit binary of the kext (for mac os x 10.6+) and the matching floatlib attached to this post.

The new driver has been tested, but it seems that the identified model is not normal. After listening to the music for about 5 minutes, the system crashed but did not restart!

image.thumb.png.b61334b6b01a926a30ca74ab9558b8ed.png

1 hour ago, btwise said:

The new driver has been tested, but it seems that the identified model is not normal. After listening to the music for about 5 minutes, the system crashed but did not restart!

image.thumb.png.b61334b6b01a926a30ca74ab9558b8ed.png

1) it's a known bug which doesn't affect functionality, the driver will still work fine, it only appeared on sierra in my testing (for example on mountain lion it didn't show up), so it's not a deal braker. it's just about something not being quite right with the way the system apis handle the sound card name or some driver bug on specific os versions, it needs be investigated deeply.

2) what sound card do you have? if it isn't recognized with a proper name but it has that generic kx audio driver name, it means that it's not listed in the supported cards list in the frname file, if you whould like to contribute i can try to add proper support for your sound card, or at least to get a proper name to show up, we need to discuss this via private messages.

3) the crash is very wired and unexpected, it never happened on any of my systems with this driver, to boot into the system use the boot arg -kxoff which disables the driver

1 hour ago, btwise said:

@ITzTravelInTime

The new driver input function is invalid, cannot carry on the recording!

You need the kx ac97 app and to set the sampling rate to 48khz, i forgot to mention that recording is still pretty esperimental

EDIT: try also to boot with the boot arg _kxcfm=2

EDIT 2: maybe i found a solution to the garbage text bug, but i needs to be tested

EDIT 3: small changes committed to the github repo to try to fix those issues

4 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

1) it's a known bug which doesn't affect functionality, the driver will still work fine, it only appeared on sierra in my testing (for example on mountain lion it didn't show up), so it's not a deal braker. it's just about something not being quite right with the way the system apis handle the sound card name or some driver bug on specific os versions, it needs be investigated deeply.

Although it does not affect the use, it is not very beautiful.

4 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

2) what sound card do you have? if it isn't recognized with a proper name but it has that generic kx audio driver name, it means that it's not listed in the supported cards list in the frname file, if you whould like to contribute i can try to add proper support for your sound card, or at least to get a proper name to show up, we need to discuss this via private messages.

The model of my sound card is:

Creative Audigy2/Audigy4 Audio

MODEL:SB0610

CHIPS:CA0108/CA10300

Device ID:VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_10231102&REV_00

I used xcode11.3.1 to compile your updated github code today, the driver obtained did not load successfully, but with the binary file you published can load normally, I do not know is the compilation problem or your code has a problem!

How to set output jack in MACOS, currently only one output can work, but in WINDOWS multiple output jack can work!

6 hours ago, btwise said:

Although it does not affect the use, it is not very beautiful.

The model of my sound card is:

Creative Audigy2/Audigy4 Audio

MODEL:SB0610

CHIPS:CA0108/CA10300

Device ID:VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_10231102&REV_00

I used xcode11.3.1 to compile your updated github code today, the driver obtained did not load successfully, but with the binary file you published can load normally, I do not know is the compilation problem or your code has a problem!

How to set output jack in MACOS, currently only one output can work, but in WINDOWS multiple output jack can work!

I have added your card to the list, and fixed some compiler stuff, apparently you have some revision of the cards with a different subsystem id than the listed one, and you need xcode xcode 8 if you want the driver to be compatible with sierra or earlyer versions, apparently this is a problem with the macos sdk, but i will upload here a precompiled binary when i can.

For the output you need to use the midi configuration system app to configure the 7.1 or 5.1 setup and the you need to playback a some sound source whose supports 5.1 or 7.1, thatàs a limitation of the os and not a limitation of the driver, the driver just gives all the output channels of the card to the.

39 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

I have added your card to the list, and fixed some compiler stuff, apparently you have some revision of the cards with a different subsystem id than the listed one, and you need xcode xcode 8 if you want the driver to be compatible with sierra or earlyer versions, apparently this is a problem with the macos sdk, but i will upload here a precompiled binary when i can.

I won't be using the early system! So what version of XCODE do I need to compile to get binaries that work?

41 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

For the output you need to use the midi configuration system app to configure the 7.1 or 5.1 setup and the you need to playback a some sound source whose supports 5.1 or 7.1, thatàs a limitation of the os and not a limitation of the driver, the driver just gives all the output channels of the card to the.

How to set 5.1 or 7.1 mode in MIDI configuration, I see that there are already 8 channels by default, but only one output hole can be used!

Is there a fully functional KX control panel program available under MACOS similar to WINDOWS?KX AC97 is too simple!

2 hours ago, btwise said:

I won't be using the early system! So what version of XCODE do I need to compile to get binaries that work?

How to set 5.1 or 7.1 mode in MIDI configuration, I see that there are already 8 channels by default, but only one output hole can be used!

Is there a fully functional KX control panel program available under MACOS similar to WINDOWS?KX AC97 is too simple!

I'll send the compiled binary later, when i can use my mountain lion machine.

I am sorry but, there isn't any control panel for mac, porting whould be too complicated and time consuming.

For the midi configuration app use the button you see in the picture, which is used to access output setup, then configure the card for 5.1 or 7.1, after that you have to play back something which outputs 7.1 or 5.1, to use the 7.1 or the 5.1, because your normal audio will be played back on only 2 speackers, for exaple you will hear audio on all the speackers by playing a dvd, again that's a limitation of the os, not a limitation of the driver.

1879295208_Schermata2020-05-05alle18_11_20.thumb.png.2073ab58a39336d6879333bd56d4bb2c.png

As promised, here it is the new kext binary:

As always it supports OS X 10.6 and newer on 32 bits and 64 bits machines, but it's just tested on mountain lion, sierra and catalina.

@btwise

kXAudioDriver.kext.zip

EDIT: I updated the binary because of a couple of bugs, so get this one instead:

kXAudioDriver.kext.zip

10 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

For the midi configuration app use the button you see in the picture, which is used to access output setup, then configure the card for 5.1 or 7.1, after that you have to play back something which outputs 7.1 or 5.1, to use the 7.1 or the 5.1, because your normal audio will be played back on only 2 speackers, for exaple you will hear audio on all the speackers by playing a dvd, again that's a limitation of the os, not a limitation of the driver.

Yes, I have tested it, and I can choose 5.1 or 7.1, let the other jack sound, but it seems to lack a 2.1 mode, I use 2.1 stereo, there is a bass stereo and two speakers!

image.thumb.png.456d733b27b15f0ef30aa14b7849b411.png

On 5/6/2020 at 5:15 AM, btwise said:

Yes, I have tested it, and I can choose 5.1 or 7.1, let the other jack sound, but it seems to lack a 2.1 mode, I use 2.1 stereo, there is a bass stereo and two speakers!

image.thumb.png.456d733b27b15f0ef30aa14b7849b411.png

I don't even know if the os has settings for your setup to be honest, maybe it could be achieved using some custom settings.

Honestly i don't have that mutch experience with those things and it's not related to the driver, so i think that this is something to investigate separately, so i reccomend you to try to open a new discussion or ask some other apple forums, maybe someone already figured this out and can help you.

2 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

I don't even know if the os has settings for your setup to be honest, maybe it could be achieved using some custom settings.

Honestly i don't have that mutch experience with those things and it's not related to the driver, so i think that this is something to investigate separately, so i reccomend you to try to open a new discussion or ask some other apple forums, maybe someone already figured this out and can help you.

Ok, thank you for your driver, but the driver I compiled in the environment of xcode11.3.1 still cannot be loaded, I don't know how to solve it, in the case of no xcode8, can we use the old SDK to solve this problem?
In addition, there seems to be a problem with your source code packaging script, unable to package the complete PKG installation package, please check to fix!

Just now, btwise said:

Ok, thank you for your driver, but the driver I compiled in the environment of xcode11.3.1 still cannot be loaded, I don't know how to solve it, in the case of no xcode8, can we use the old SDK to solve this problem?
In addition, there seems to be a problem with your source code packaging script, unable to package the complete PKG installation package, please check to fix!

To be honest i never used the pkg packaging script, it's from the old days of official kx audio driver releases from eugene, about the source code i should check that, but remember that the kext compiled with the latest sdks will be usabe only on mojave+, personally i compile my releases using the os x 10.7 sdk using xcode 4.6 on my mountain lion hackintosh

8 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

remember that the kext compiled with the latest sdks will be usabe only on mojave+

I want to know the driver compiled with the latest SDK, which cannot be loaded in my majove system. Instead, it can be loaded correctly with the driver compiled by you!

Why are you using 10.7 so old system, that you should use newer systems to debug and update your mod drivers code!

1 hour ago, btwise said:

I want to know the driver compiled with the latest SDK, which cannot be loaded in my majove system. Instead, it can be loaded correctly with the driver compiled by you!

Why are you using 10.7 so old system, that you should use newer systems to debug and update your mod drivers code!

That's wired, how did you compile it? i don't reccomend using the makefiles.

And also since the driver uses some older apis dating back to mac os x 10.5 i prefer just compiling it with al aold xcode version and an old sdk so it can work on old systems, i want the beast compatibility i can get from the driver

38 minutes ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

That's wired, how did you compile it? i don't reccomend using the makefiles.

cd macosx direcory,use xcode open project files,run!or use xcodebuild command compile,not use make files