Kx audio driver mod [Sound blaster live!, audigy 1/2/4/RX emu edsp]

ITzTravelInTime

588 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

关于kext,您可以仅获取.kext文件(我在此线程上载的最新文件),然后在opencore的kexts文件夹中使用它,然后仅获取最新的ac97.app来控制卡。

我的意思是您不需要在/ s / l / e中安装kext,您可以将其放入opencore的kext文件夹中,然后将其添加到config.plist中,这样就可以正常工作。

Thanks, i see

It would be great if AC97's Line and pho, spk, CD, AUX, and Video can be used

On 7/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, ziloong said:

Thanks, i see

It would be great if AC97's Line and pho, spk, CD, AUX, and Video can be used

You should be able to, you just need to mess around with the ui a bit

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:08 AM, ITzTravelInTime said:

KX AUDIO DRIVER MOD

Hi guys i am a small developer, i really like to use my sound blaster cards on my machines and i love also coding, so when i find the source code for the kx audio driver on git hub and then Eugene, the creator of kx audio driver decided to no longer maintain the project, i decided to start working on a mod of this driver and maintain it. 

With my mod, created starting from the sources of the last official version of kx audio driver and all the small commiunity updates, i am working to keep the driver compatible with the latest mac os versions and to improove the driver over time.

Supported cards are:

- most of the Sound Blaster live!, live! 5.1 and live! 5.1 digital series (except for the cards not using the 10k1 architecture)

- sound blaster pci 512 and pci 256

- Sound Blaster Audigy, Audigy 2 and Audigy 2 zs series

- E-MU cards based on the 10k2 sound chip (like the EMU8852 aka 0404m, including the pcie version)

- Sound Blaster Audigy 4 (SB0610 only) and the Audigy 4 pro

- Sound Blaster Audigy RX (SB0155)

- other creative and e-mu cards based on the (10k1,10k2, 10k2.5 and CA10300 based cards)

The NOT supported cards includes (but are not limited to):

- ES1370/ES1371/ES1372/ES1373 based sound cards

- Any CA0106 based card and cards with similar architectures (like sound blaster live! 24 bit, sound blaster audigy SE SB0570, audigy LS and similars, but audigy SA is supported)

- Any sound blaster x-fi (some of them works on macOS using a modified version of voodoo hda)

- Any sound blaster recon3D

- Sound blaster Audigy FX

- Any sound blaster Z/ZS/ZX and similar series

- Any sound blaster AE5/AE7/AE9 series

- Any sound card without an emu sound chip

- Any ISA Sound card

In the time being the things i have modded or added with this mod are:

- cracking and stability fixes

- added a more proper support for the pci express Sound Blaster audigy rx SB0155 (which basically is an audigy 4 with a pcie bridge chip) 

- more user-frienly names for the cards in the settings and other system menus (so the name will be, for example, SB live! 5.1 SB0060 instead of kx SB0060 [e880] witch was shown in the original driver)

- added support to sample rate changing and bit resolution change (the absolte worst supported quality is 7 khz at 8 bit dept while the absolute best is 192 khz at 32 bit depth)

- inputs support

- added boot args to manage the driver (more info on those soon)

What i'd like to implement but i don't know how to do:

- fix the support when using more than one card, to get all the cards shown in the settings and other menus,

- have the gameport/midi port of older cards to be used in mac os as a midi in/out

If other developers would like to join and help they are free to do so, this is a free open source project afterall, and also an hand from other people with testing and feedback will be nice.

LINKS and downloads:

-  github repo:                                               https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/kx-audio-driver

(kext download coming soon, since an update is coming)

DELL181UR.jpg

maxresdefault-2.jpg

Creative_Sound_Blaster_Audigy_SB0090.jpg

pdt_21723.png.png

maxresdefault.jpg

29-102-178-06.jpg

Hi!, first of all thank you very much for your incredible job!.

I only need to ask if the last version supports the MIDI port of a Sound Blaster Live! PCI card. I own an old MIDI keyboard and I need to use it as MIDI input por Garage Band in Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks again!.

17 hours ago, sanjuy70 said:

Hi!, first of all thank you very much for your incredible job!.

I only need to ask if the last version supports the MIDI port of a Sound Blaster Live! PCI card. I own an old MIDI keyboard and I need to use it as MIDI input por Garage Band in Mac OS Sierra.

Thanks again!.

The driver is not my work i am just adding a few things with some other people and keep it working on the latest versions of macOS, the driver was created by Eugene Garnilov, who is a great programmer.

About the midi support there is none on the mac driver and it's very unlikely that somone will add it, it's way too complicated for us (the driver maintainers) to implement even if there is an existing one for the windowskx audio driver. My reccomendation is to just use a cheap usb midi interface or something else which can do the job.

@ITzTravelInTime
Does this project still maintained by you? And if so, is it possible to add ability to change soundboard output configuration?
I have SB Audigy RX 7.1 (SB1550) which by default outputs to 2.1 speaker configuration and chops off all low frequences below 100-150 Hz. In Windows I can change it's output configuration to "Headphones" and it will output whole freq range to my headphones.

Or is it possible to do with current kx driver?

Thank you in advance, you've done amazing job by making this boards work in macOS. :)

1 hour ago, LilyStilson said:

@ITzTravelInTime
Does this project still maintained by you? And if so, is it possible to add ability to change soundboard output configuration?
I have SB Audigy RX 7.1 (SB1550) which by default outputs to 2.1 speaker configuration and chops off all low frequences below 100-150 Hz. In Windows I can change it's output configuration to "Headphones" and it will output whole freq range to my headphones.

Or is it possible to do with current kx driver?

Thank you in advance, you've done amazing job by making this boards work in macOS. :)

I think that's just related to equalization and since that's not implemented in the kext or in the ac97 app i think that you should try some equalization apps for mac, the kx manager in the windows version of the kx audio driver should be also able to do equalization but i am not sure about that and as far as i know that's not present in the mac apps related to this project.

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2020 at 2:19 AM, ITzTravelInTime said:

As promised, here it is the new kext binary:

As always it supports OS X 10.6 and newer on 32 bits and 64 bits machines, but it's just tested on mountain lion, sierra and catalina.

@btwise

kXAudioDriver.kext.zip

EDIT: I updated the binary because of a couple of bugs, so get this one instead:

kXAudioDriver.kext.zip

Hello! Just bought Audigy 4 SB0610.
I use Clover, macos 10.14.6. I can download kext from this post, is this the latest version? I put it in the clover folder with the other kext and then I control the card through kX AC97? Thx

3 hours ago, adapgs said:

Hello! Just bought Audigy 4 SB0610.
I use Clover, macos 10.14.6. I can download kext from this post, is this the latest version? I put it in the clover folder with the other kext and then I control the card through kX AC97? Thx

Yes you are correct, just download the second one from that post and use it

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/18/2021 at 12:27 AM, Stefanalmare said:

Hi, ITzTravelInTime! Great job with kXAudioDriver.kext! I use it with success until BS 11.3 Beta 2. It doesn't load. It's inside OC, latest compile. Maybe you can give me a hint. Thank you!

I have't tried it yet with OC, but it seems wired, i have to check if someone got similar drivers to work, or otherwise i will need to contact the OC team for some clarifications, in the meanwhile you can try installing it in /Librery/Extensions following install procedures made for real macs, remeber that in stalling kexts in the system directories is not an easy procedure and a failure can break your os installation.

20 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

I have't tried it yet with OC, but it seems wired, i have to check if someone got similar drivers to work, or otherwise i will need to contact the OC team for some clarifications, in the meanwhile you can try installing it in /Librery/Extensions following install procedures made for real macs, remeber that in stalling kexts in the system directories is not an easy procedure and a failure can break your os installation.

Util BS 11.3 Beta 2 it works perfectly in OC. I'll try in /L/E. Maybe you can make it for OC also. Thank you!

Update:

SIP disable (03000000) + Kext-Droplet.app (Thanx Cris1111!), I installed kXAudioDriver.kext in L/E. Sound is back :). I hope you'll fix it also for OC.

Edited by Stefanalmare

Just an update, i have started working on a fork for PowerPc macs, this fork whould maintain x86 compatibility but it will be focused on getting the driver to work on PowerPC macs running OS X 10.5.x

Here is the github branch link: https://github.com/ITzTravelInTime/kx-audio-driver/tree/PPC_Experimental

Edit: This fork is currently broken, it can't work on PowerPc macs at the time of writing, because it misses support for the implemen tation of the pci I/O ports on PowerPc, as far as i know it should just work on x86 for now, with the main difference being the fact that it lacks the IOAudioBlitterLib and uses a more simple way of working with audio samples, also audio inputs are broken on this fork.

Edited by ITzTravelInTime
  • Like 1

So i have announced i am working on a powerpc kext, but what i didn't tell you is the fact that most likely the kext could also work on apple silicon using almost the exact same code, so if apple will ever release an apple silicon machine featuring pcie slots i think we can get something like the audigy rx working on those machines.

All of this depends on if i am able to get it working on power pc, since both shares pretty similar models for pci device usage, that said porting this kext on other platforms i very complicated due to the huge ammount of x86-specific stuff present inside the kext.

That said i have done all the gound work that's needed, it mostly needs the finishing touches now and the be debugged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ITzTravelInTime

I was testing the driver that you publish and the version that Alejandro publishes and I have the following experiences.

1. ITzTravelInTime version: Audio and microphone work on my SB Audigy 2 ZS card. Sound reproduction by iTunes is free from distortion or crackle in the sound. If I play videos on You Tube I hear a crackling sounds.

2. Version> Alejandro: Only the audio works, there is no microphone. Playback by itunes and you tube has no distortions or cracks in the sound.

I do not know if it is possible that you can check that little problem when playing videos on You Tube

Best regards

9 hours ago, ctamy said:

Hello ITzTravelInTime

I was testing the driver that you publish and the version that Alejandro publishes and I have the following experiences.

1. ITzTravelInTime version: Audio and microphone work on my SB Audigy 2 ZS card. Sound reproduction by iTunes is free from distortion or crackle in the sound. If I play videos on You Tube I hear a crackling sounds.

2. Version> Alejandro: Only the audio works, there is no microphone. Playback by itunes and you tube has no distortions or cracks in the sound.

I do not know if it is possible that you can check that little problem when playing videos on You Tube

Best regards

The issue with youtube seems to come from possible system timer issues, i have tryied working up some solutions like an alterntive sound sample conversion system which made things better for youtube but didn't get rid of issues (and also added some cracking sound issues with some particular sounds as a result of how it works, but at least it is portable to non-x86 architectures and also it is compatible with older os x versions like leopard), i can link this version if you want but it will not sound the best (also recording with it seems to be distorted in my tests).

I can give you a download of the latest version with the new sound system and without it, of course all just for testing purposes, those are not fully tested driver releases.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to build a version of the driver that loads and has features working on PPC macs, sadly playback still doesn't work, but i am working on figuring out that.

1341479246_Immagine14.thumb.png.70b7fb7a0bc69ea05b0ff523f3783481.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I found an Audigy 4 sb0610  at a reasonable price. Could it work well for sound reproduction as it seems from first page ? I'm actually on Catalina 10.15.7. Thanks anyway for your work. 

P.s. I'm Italian too ciao e grazie

5 minutes ago, bluenote56 said:

Hi, I found an Audigy 4 sb0610  at a reasonable price. Could it work well for sound reproduction as it seems from first page ? I'm actually on Catalina 10.15.7. Thanks anyway for your work. 

P.s. I'm Italian too ciao e grazie

Yes that card is offically supported by the driver and playback should work just fine, what could give you problems is recording since it is experimental on this driver, but since this card is similar to the audigy rx and since i had a good experience with that card i'd say just go for it, btw i am working on a driver update, so stay tuned for that.

Also If you can find one for cheap maybe the audigy rx is a better alternative since it's a pcie card and therefor doesn't require pci slots to work, but it' essentially the sb0610 with a pcie to pci bridge chip on it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

Yes that card is offically supported by the driver and playback should work just fine, what could give you problems is recording since it is experimental on this driver, but since this card is similar to the audigy rx and since i had a good experience with that card i'd say just go for it, btw i am working on a driver update, so stay tuned for that.

Also If you can find one for cheap maybe the audigy rx is a better alternative since it's a pcie card and therefor doesn't require pci slots to work, but it' essentially the sb0610 with a pcie to pci bridge chip on it.

First thanks. Then, my bad, I forgot  I have all pci slots covered by gpu (three slots) and only a pcie slot free. So I canceled my order and I'm going for the Audigy RX. Just to know, there's a way to have an Asus Xonar SE working in Catalina? ( I'm afraid there' s a big NO as an answer). Ciao

1 minute ago, bluenote56 said:

First thanks. Then, my bad, I forgot  I have all pci slots covered by gpu (three slots) and only a pcie slot free. So I canceled my order and I'm going for the Audigy RX. Just to know, there's a way to have an Asus Xonar SE working in Catalina? ( I'm afraid there' s a big NO as an answer). Ciao

Not that i know of, for hackintosh purposes maybe it's best to avoid asus cards

• Like 1

Ciao, I eventually bought a brand new Sound Blaster RX and I confirm it works. I must just adjust everything (outputs, levels, etc) since I had just a little time to check everything, but I already set a 7.1 speakers + sub system and I'll update my results as soon as possible. I'm quite mad about sound quality (wife says obsessed) so, even if I know I can't reach high level results, I'll try to bring out the best in this situation. I can since you worked on the project. Thanks a lot. 

On 4/22/2021 at 4:07 AM, bluenote56 said:

Ciao, I eventually bought a brand new Sound Blaster RX and I confirm it works. I must just adjust everything (outputs, levels, etc) since I had just a little time to check everything, but I already set a 7.1 speakers + sub system and I'll update my results as soon as possible. I'm quite mad about sound quality (wife says obsessed) so, even if I know I can't reach high level results, I'll try to bring out the best in this situation. I can since you worked on the project. Thanks a lot. 

About the 7.1 system you will use all the speackers only when playing back content that has 8 audio channels, like dvds, blue rays, movies from some streaming platforms (maybe apple tv+) and so on ... this is a limitation of the OS, not the driver. About the audigy rx, i own one too it's a great PCIe card to have in a system, espacially if you also dual boot windows and linux (espacially on windows it supports hw mid synth with sound fonts support and creative eax on windiows 10 if you are into old games) on mac this card is limited to act mostly as a dac/adc but at least the driver allows me to use it on mac on whathever machine runs any recent version of macOS (incl. big sur)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

About the 7.1 system you will use all the speackers only when playing back content that has 8 audio channels, like dvds, blue rays, movies from some streaming platforms (maybe apple tv+) and so on ... this is a limitation of the OS, not the driver. About the audigy rx, i own one too it's a great PCIe card to have in a system, espacially if you also dual boot windows and linux (espacially on windows it supports hw mid synth with sound fonts support and creative eax on windiows 10 if you are into old games) on mac this card is limited to act mostly as a dac/adc but at least the driver allows me to use it on mac on whathever machine runs any recent version of macOS (incl. big sur)

As a former hi-fi journalist I'm a little mad about sound reproduction, but you know, wife, son, daughter, your available room and "free mind time" become limited. So I enjoy a little bit my hackintosh also for everything concerning sound & music and this work of yours made my day. Of course I have double boot and I' going to explore the win side (I'm your father..no this was another thing). Thanks again I'll watch for your possible progress.

• Like 1