Kx audio driver mod [Sound blaster live!, audigy 1/2/4/RX emu edsp]

ITzTravelInTime

588 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, >Alejandro said:
I do not know if this will help or not, maybe try to increase the delay (hw->cb.usleep(100);) when uploading the firmware in the upload_fpga_firmware function?

I have to try it, but first i need to get the card setup and the debugger ready, and i have also to stiff test if the card is faulty, so i'll just try it on linux on a live disk

On 1/27/2020 at 10:03 AM, BiOM1 said:

Nice!

I will be wait your professional solution for kx drivers. My fork created as experimental for fix important for me bugs. I don't have many devices for test my code on the different configurations. I have only Creative Audigy 2 sound card and my fixes solved my problem.

I am very glad if my experiments will be help to you in the your hard work.

About the cracking issues it turns out that in some cases the n_frames multiplyer solves the issue, but in some other cases it makes tha issue appear, for example in my own pc just having it makes the cracking issue appear, wile in case of @BiOM1 it just solves it, so i was just thinking about introducing a boot arg to enable or disable the n_frames multiplyer and to specify it's value, so it's possible to play with it and find the correct value to solve the issue for each user without requireing diver ricompilation, it should be pretty easy for me to implement it because i have already implemented something similar for custom sample rates in the driver.

I need the opinion of both of you guys @BiOM1 @>Alejandro

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

About the cracking issues it turns out that in some cases the n_frames multiplyer solves the issue, but in some other cases it makes tha issue appear, for example in my own pc just having it makes the cracking issue appear, wile in case of @BiOM1 it just solves it, so i was just thinking about introducing a boot arg to enable or disable the n_frames multiplyer and to specify it's value, so it's possible to play with it and find the correct value to solve the issue for each user without requireing diver ricompilation, it should be pretty easy for me to implement it because i have already implemented something similar for custom sample rates in the driver.

I need the opinion of both of you guys @BiOM1 @>Alejandro

I thinking boot arg is not bad idea. I'm ready to test your build with this fixes on my the hackintosh configuration. Main problem with your previously released drivers - noises on the youtube videos. No any other issues. I don't use creative card for input sounds, only for playback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BiOM1 said:

I thinking boot arg is not bad idea. I'm ready to test your build with this fixes on my the hackintosh configuration. Main problem with your previously released drivers - noises on the youtube videos. No any other issues. I don't use creative card for input sounds, only for playback.

The new version is still work in progress, i am working on some small things and also to fix some bugs, but the new boot arg has been implemented and tested just yesterday

• Thanks 1

Update: I am in the stage of backporting the driver to xcode 4.x to allow for a universal 64-32 bit release, and i am also performing testing, i have still to test the driver on os x 10.8 which is my oldest development platform and i have to still test it on os x 10.6 which is the development target, in the worst case the driver will still work with 10.8 and upwards.

I will also need some testers when the driver will be committed and released

• Thanks 1

I compiled an hybrid 32 and 64 bits executable which works as expected on catalina and mountain lion on a 64 bit machine, if you are running a 32 bit machine or a 32 bit installation of mac os x and you want to test the driver pm me

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

I compiled an hybrid 32 and 64 bits executable which works as expected on catalina and mountain lion on a 64 bit machine, if you are running a 32 bit machine or a 32 bit installation of mac os x and you want to test the driver pm me

Plese send me for test :)

• 2 weeks later...

At last my Audigy Z 2s is working. Always worked before I switched to Clover with El Capitain but not since. I have tried on and off without luck. Now with Catalina it works. I have not changed anything about the way I have tried the install, but it works!

42 minutes ago, jaymack said:

At last my Audigy Z 2s is working. Always worked before I switched to Clover with El Capitain but not since. I have tried on and off without luck. Now with Catalina it works. I have not changed anything about the way I have tried the install, but it works!

And there is a new driver version coming, i will upload it after i finish with some code polishing and some long term testing, probably by the end of this mounth, stay updated for more info

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tsiplov said:

Hi, one question. Which of these cards has the best compatibility with Kx audio driver mod: Creative Sound Blaster PCI 512 (CT4790), Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (CT4830), Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (SB0060)?

they are all based on the same architecture so the only real difference for the driver is the features they support, and in any case they are limited to 16 bit audio, so pick just the best one i guess, i have the live! ones you mentioned and all of those works just fine with the driver. And also check out the new driver version when it comes out.

1 hour ago, tsiplov said:

Hello! I have one more question: is Creative CAO106-WATLF chip supported?

No, the architecture used by this chip is totally incompatible with the driver, you can also find more info about compatibility in the first post of this thread actually

some updates: in preparation of the new driver release i have updated the first post of this thread with some more precise and updated info.

In the mean while i am working to finish my new driver by just checking everything i did, so i can devliver the driver to you without it being broken, and i am also writing some info about new additions like the new reworked boot args or new supported smapling rates and multiple bit depths.

I think you will appreciate this new release.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2017 at 2:40 AM, ITzTravelInTime said:

For testing i also got a lot of cards to test the driver on, let me show to you which sound cards i have that works with the kx audio driver:

2) sound blaster audigy 2 zs SB0350 with gold connectors (also from ebay, but i own it from more than an year)

Hello! Sorry for my importunity. Help me to understand. In the first post, you write that any sound blaster Z / ZS / ZX and similar series are not supported. However, in this post you write that you are testing this card. Sorry, I can’t understand.

2 hours ago, tsiplov said:

Hello! Sorry for my importunity. Help me to understand. In the first post, you write that any sound blaster Z / ZS / ZX and similar series are not supported. However, in this post you write that you are testing this card. Sorry, I can’t understand.

I am talking about totally different and unrelated cards, the not supported one is a sound blaster zs which is a card from the sound blaster z series, the card i was testing and that works with this driver is the sound blaster audigy 2 zs, which is a model from the sound blaster audigy 2 series, so totally different cards, pay attention to the names, in fact i din't say audigy 2 while telling which is the not supported card

Edited by ITzTravelInTime

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2020 at 4:58 PM, ITzTravelInTime said:

some updates: in preparation of the new driver release i have updated the first post of this thread with some more precise and updated info.

In the mean while i am working to finish my new driver by just checking everything i did, so i can devliver the driver to you without it being broken, and i am also writing some info about new additions like the new reworked boot args or new supported smapling rates and multiple bit depths.

I think you will appreciate this new release.

Hello, first of all thank you for your work, I've an E-mu 1212m audio card and I have never been able to make it work in Catalina with any of your driver versions, I don't know if I am wrong (I install kXAudioDriver in clover's kext folder) or if there is something that is not goes into the driver. I use the optical output and in windows 10 (dual boot) everything works perfectly!

Edited by iltenente

4 hours ago, iltenente said:

Hello, first of all thank you for your work, I've an E-mu 1212m audio card and I have never been able to make it work in Catalina with any of your driver versions, I don't know if I am wrong (I install kXAudioDriver in clover's kext folder) or if there is something that is not goes into the driver. I use the optical output and in windows 10 (dual boot) everything works perfectly!

yes, you are missing an important program. you have to know that those e-dps cards and such have an fpga chip, and it needs to be reprogrammed every time the card looses power or really the os is rebooted. To do that you need to open at the startup of your mac a program called edspctrl, you can find a known working version of this program included with an old version of the driver here [  https://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/attachments/creative-emu-zip.5802/  ]

I also reccomend to you this old version version of the driver, it's tested to be working with e-dps cards

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

yes, you are missing an important program. you have to know that those e-dps cards and such have an fpga chip, and it needs to be reprogrammed every time the card looses power or really the os is rebooted. To do that you need to open at the startup of your mac a program called edspctrl, you can find a known working version of this program included with an old version of the driver here [  https://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/attachments/creative-emu-zip.5802/  ]

I also reccomend to you this old version version of the driver, it's tested to be working with e-dps cards

Thanks for your reply and help!

It works!!!

Edited by iltenente
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ITzTravelInTime said:

I'd like make the edspctrl autorun.

I know I can do it using System Preferences, Users & Groups and adding it to login elements but, if possible, I would prefer to do it in a hidden way, without the automatic opening of the terminal window when the system executes the command. To do it I try put edspctrl into Library/StartupItems but I should put kXAPI.dylib into /usr/lib to be found and autorun it on the system startup but with Catalina I can't copy it to that folder due to permission issues (I have disabled SIP)!

Am I wrong?

Edited by iltenente

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, btwise said:

@ITzTravelInTime

Where can I get your latest kx driver and panel application for MACOS, the code in github seems old!

Yes, i had some bugs and i wasn't quite sure of the code, now i think it's ready i have to finish commenting the code and compiling a release on mu mountain lion installation, thanks for reminding me  to pubblish the code, this is quite an intense period of time for me because i am studing quite a lot to catch with my university exams, but updating the driver doesn't take that much time